• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This is just a long term plan for the AI to get us to use drugs enginereed by them so they can just kill us all with a flick of a switch!

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Ok lets not ruin these by spraying them all over crops for no reason.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
AI will be a powerful tool for medicine in the years to come; we can only hope that it'll help trim some of the staggering research costs and make treatments more available to all.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
So much money to be made by the companies.
Time to democratize medicine. Voters all around the world are already subsidizing the research costs, while we all keep pretending that it is not the case.

Oct 27, 2017
Like with any other promising technical advancement it will be blocked as long as possible by the corresponding lobbies that could lose money from this.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
So this is the pivot needed for the antibiotic startup phase 2. Most of the ones started in the 2000s are slowly going bust if not there already. One of the reasons why big pharma doesn't do antibiotics anymore is because it isn't a recurring business model. When the patient is cured, they won't need to purchase them. It's the reason why governments had been stepping up to find new antibiotics but if this is fast-tracked it might fill that hole that's coming up and soon (when some of these companies go bankrupt, which they are currently, the trademarked antibiotics developed by them will be in a tbd state. This would strain the supply to hospitals, clinics, and other medical organisations). So this couldn't come at a more opportune time.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Plus, the reason we haven't had any new antibiotics is that they're not really profitable these days. There's a WHO program for supporting finding new ones to combat AMR.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize there's money in antibiotics not working. A brisk trade in dead bodies, huh?

I remember watching a show on why there's no antibiotic research because you only take them for a week or two. Pharmaceutical companies prefer to develop drugs you take for a long time, maybe for life.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I remember watching a show on why there's no antibiotic research because you only take them for a week or two. Pharmaceutical companies prefer to develop drugs you take for a long time, maybe for life.
It is important to understand the difference between there not being market incentive for developing new antibiotics (which is the case) and deciding not to do it for some nefarious purpose (not the case).

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017

That's not really the problem here, the problem is that if a new antibiotic capable of tackling multi-resistant bacteria are found it's basically not going to be used. It's going to be kept in reserve and only used in tiny quantities for the worst cases in order to avoid bacteria getting resistant to it as well.

There's no money in that. Hence the need for public funding.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's awesome.

We can only hope that AI is able to help us figure out how to suck carbon from the air.

Solve all our problems AI-sama!

OP
OP

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It is important to understand the difference between there not being market incentive for developing new antibiotics (which is the case) and deciding not to do it for some nefarious purpose (not the case).

Yup, this.
Honestly I figure we only need to buy a couple of decades worth of time until we're able to solve a lot of problems that currently loom on the horizon via magic technology, but it's 50/50 whether we manage to destroy ourselves through some cataclysmic fuckup before that happens.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like with any other promising technical advancement it will be blocked as long as possible by the corresponding lobbies that could lose money from this.
i don't really think there are a ton of new anti biotics so there is money to be made if you develop one for strains that are hard to treat. a lot of the current common anti biotics have generics so those aren't money makers.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Only if we massively scaled it up to an absurd level. But there's no current commercial application to justify it at the moment, nor in investing to increase the efficiency through scientific development.

Regardless, it'd take a very long time.

That's what I'm saying. Hopefully AI can have a breakthrough at extremely efficient ways to do it.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
As someone who has been suffering from atypical tuberculosis since last september (heavy to treat, very resitent bacteria) all I can say is fuck those bacterias and fuck antibiotics that do shit to your body you do not want. It's a loose-loose situation.

This is good news though all around, maybe not for me but for some in a few years that are untreatable.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
It's an interesting story, but it's hard to understand what they're actually doing. The AI identifies molecules "by their activity", without focusing on "molecular groups". That seems logically impossible, since you can't know the activity until you've tested it. And you can't extrapolate activity unless you know the molecular groups. I suspect it just reflects the difficulty of explaining this in layman's terms and they've probably done something very clever (molecular groups probably means not caring about some specific high-level "drug family" assignments, rather than low level "beta unsaturated carbonyl" groups).

I expect a neural net AI could do a better job at finding correlations than a human, especially when you need to combined multiple properties (functional molecular groups, the right molecular weight and polarity to bypass various membranes, and other things relating to metabolism).
I'd like to see a paper on exactly what they did.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's an interesting story, but it's hard to understand what they're actually doing. The AI identifies molecules "by their activity", without focusing on "molecular groups". That seems logically impossible, since you can't know the activity until you've tested it. And you can't extrapolate activity unless you know the molecular groups. I suspect it just reflects the difficulty of explaining this in layman's terms and they've probably done something very clever (molecular groups probably means not caring about some specific high-level "drug family" assignments, rather than low level "beta unsaturated carbonyl" groups).

I expect a neural net AI could do a better job at finding correlations than a human, especially when you need to combined multiple properties (functional molecular groups, the right molecular weight and polarity to bypass various membranes, and other things relating to metabolism).

That's always what AI does, find correlations.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pretty sure the paper is this one: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867420301021.

There's also a github page of their model (https://github.com/chemprop/chemprop), which describes the format of the data they used to train it.