• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I hate that they will likely go "serious" "edge lord" trash for the movie again so they actually get a budget. If anything they should go MCU levels of PG13. Ant Man is more Super Sentai than anything.
This is Hasbro now, so I'd expect something closer to the Transformers movies at worst.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
That last live action movie was bad. And the designs on the Rangers themselves a little too much visual noise.

I'm okay if they take another shot at this... but the last movie felt under budget so I'm not sure how they'll go around addressing that issue.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hate that they will likely go "serious" "edge lord" trash for the movie again so they actually get a budget. If anything they should go MCU levels of PG13. Ant Man is more Super Sentai than anything.

For the series they just need to get decent actors god ever year they have been trash like beyond bad. Get out of New Zealand or whatever corner of the world they go to to save on budget. It's not gonna happen since they will continue to treat it as "children" show just make as much money and don't spend any.
This is Hasbro now, so I'd expect something closer to the Transformers movies at worst.

At least it won't be that kickstarter movie JDF is doing with Bat in the Sun and a few other PR alumni.

That shit is cringey edgelord grimdark.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Newest (and final) issue of MMPR ended on a pretty good note, the two new power ranger comics that come out in the future are rebranding but following the same story; one is following the MMPR team (alongside the *new* green ranger), and the other one is following the omega rangers.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This has been the rumor for months now, so not too surprising. I came to terms with this when this was first leaked. It's a shame, but hopefully it pays off for them. No more sentai adaptations is gonna be ass.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
New news. His universe will be a reboot that will include animation. This is gonna be fun.
It's interesting because I am now running the new "Power Rangers" reboot universe from scratch. So right now I'm mapping out a whole new world of movies and television and animation. I'm very acutely aware of the fandom versus delivering what people expect, while still doing something cool and new, but without reinventing the wheels. So these conversations are definitely fascinating from the sense of building fandoms and then destroying them as it pleases.
www.insider.com

Former Netflix showrunner admits 'there's a real frustration' over cancellations and reflects on behind-the-scenes shifts at the streamer

"I Am Not Okay With This" cocreator Jonathan Entwistle reflects on the shifting reality for TV show writers and showrunners at Netflix.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Still salty that they aren't doing a sequel to the last movie. That was better than it had any right to be.

Oct 25, 2017
The 2017 film was surprisingly really enjoyable. Why they haven't made plans to continue from there I have no idea.
2017 was really likeable but it didnt bring in the amount of cash they needed to feel comfortable continuing
The marketing didn't really do the movie any favors
And I heard the budget became a bit inflated during filming also, the director was said to be very exploratory
I think they could have done even better sequels for less money than the first, but that's not an exciting prospect for the suits in charge I guess

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The 2017 film was surprisingly really enjoyable. Why they haven't made plans to continue from there I have no idea.
As mentioned before, as much as it was very solid, it was pretty much a disaster at recouping its budget.

105 million budget, 145 million box office, with theaters taking 45% of that money. It was a bomb.

Even then, sometimes the merchandise can offset losses, but that didn't happen either. Toys and action figures REALLY struggled and were warming shelves for months and months and months. Didn't help that they were extremely ugly figures.
2974aaa1d18ca8278693adf685d5b2c4.jpg

The loss of investment in the toys was even considered a driving reason for Bandai losing the toy license to Hasbro less than a year later.

Ultimately, it all comes down to money. The film didn't recoup its investment at the box office, it didn't recoup its investment with toys and merchandise, and Power Rangers as a brand was doing better just moving forward with Beast Morphers, the Boom comics, and milking MMPR nostalgia, for better or worse.

Oct 27, 2017
New news. His universe will be a reboot that will include animation. This is gonna be fun.

www.insider.com

Former Netflix showrunner admits 'there's a real frustration' over cancellations and reflects on behind-the-scenes shifts at the streamer

"I Am Not Okay With This" cocreator Jonathan Entwistle reflects on the shifting reality for TV show writers and showrunners at Netflix.

I wonder how much of a reboot it will be.
Power Rangers is already a multiverse, so I wonder if this will fit into the existing multiverse or be completely disconnected.

Though I'm sure they'll just retcon it to being part of it later on, just like they did with the last movie.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The fact they've confirmed animation is definitely a biggie - I remember that being a sticking point for Toei at some point in the past.

The fact that Hasbro kinda-sorta finally figured out how to do live-action Transformers with Bumblebee - sort of a YA-bent to the story, with lots of nostalgia pandering for old fans - makes me think Power Rangers might be doable. Like, I can imagine it straight up being set in the 90s.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
If it isn't a continuation of the last film, I don't want it based on MMPR generation. Do something new or at least reboot a different era.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So it's gonna be a reboot and not a sequel introducing a green ranger or the next gen power rangers...

Could have been easy money to make a multiverse Power rangers series and then have avengers like ensemble in the future...

Oct 28, 2017
So it's gonna be a reboot and not a sequel introducing a green ranger or the next gen power rangers...

Could have been easy money to make a multiverse Power rangers series and then have avengers like ensemble in the future...

Nobody wants to see he old garbage universe they've been pedaling for years. If Power Rangers is going to succeed, it needs to be its own thing.

This is doomed to failure because it will contain animated in-universe content as well and you need to be Star Wars to make that work (or make the events totally inconsequential).

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Nobody wants to see he old garbage universe they've been pedaling for years. If Power Rangers is going to succeed, it needs to be its own thing.

This is doomed to failure because it will contain animated in-universe content as well and you need to be Star Wars to make that work (or make the events totally inconsequential).

Well I meant to reboot the whole universe with the movies like they did with the first movie, not make a tie in with any of the stories from the TV series.

DarkWish

Oct 27, 2017
Virginia
I don't know why people are hung up on a sequel to the 2017 movie. We've known this is a reboot. We've known no sequel is happening. The big news here is the confirmation of animation, as well as further confirmation of the rumor that Sentai won't be adapted anymore, given that they said they're building this universe from scratch.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
As mentioned before, as much as it was very solid, it was pretty much a disaster at recouping its budget.

105 million budget, 145 million box office, with theaters taking 45% of that money. It was a bomb.

Even then, sometimes the merchandise can offset losses, but that didn't happen either. Toys and action figures REALLY struggled and were warming shelves for months and months and months. Didn't help that they were extremely ugly figures.
2974aaa1d18ca8278693adf685d5b2c4.jpg

The loss of investment in the toys was even considered a driving reason for Bandai losing the toy license to Hasbro less than a year later.

Ultimately, it all comes down to money. The film didn't recoup its investment at the box office, it didn't recoup its investment with toys and merchandise, and Power Rangers as a brand was doing better just moving forward with Beast Morphers, the Boom comics, and milking MMPR nostalgia, for better or worse.

The movie was great but I hated the designs of the suits, zords, MegaZord and Goldar, it was all so creatively bankrupt you could see the studio interference in the DNA of those things.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
The fact they've confirmed animation is definitely a biggie - I remember that being a sticking point for Toei at some point in the past.

The fact that Hasbro kinda-sorta finally figured out how to do live-action Transformers with Bumblebee - sort of a YA-bent to the story, with lots of nostalgia pandering for old fans - makes me think Power Rangers might be doable. Like, I can imagine it straight up being set in the 90s.
There are a lot of variables in play now with the animation that may be allowing it to happen. Because, yes, before they sold the franchise, Disney wanted to go that route and Toei didn't let them.

-For one, indications are that Toei fucking hated Disney, so if they have a better working relationship with Hasbro, they may be more amenable.
-Disney I think also wanted to abandon live action and just do a cartoon. So animation in addition to potentially still adapting Sentai could also be more amenable.
-The Sentai side is in a different position nowadays. Hasbro gaining the toy rights from Bandai of America means that Bandai has infinitely less reason to care that new Sentai are adapted. Toei may not really care here, just as long as they continue to get their cut.
-The current rights contract may also be more open to this stuff. I've seen claims that the prior contract was stricter with having to adapt every Sentai, and that elements of that were renegotiated when Saban bought the franchise back from Disney.

Last edited:

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly im excited for whatever they try to do. If this guy has big ideas for the future of the franchise then go for it. I just hope the big story he is crafting will be well put together.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I don't get the Toei divorce rumors. Almost everyone here seems to think the last movie bombed at least partially because of the suit and zord designs/toy sales. If they divorce themselves from Toei, they should lose the rights to all of the suit designs and would have to start from scratch, which is basically what they did for those movie designs. I just don't see it. I can see Toei letting them go in a different direction but without the link to the existing series, I don't see what the point is of the license (especially the toy license, which is like 99% nostalgia).

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the Toei divorce rumors. Almost everyone here seems to think the last movie bombed at least partially because of the suit and zord designs/toy sales. If they divorce themselves from Toei, they should lose the rights to all of the suit designs and would have to start from scratch, which is basically what they did for those movie designs. I just don't see it. I can see Toei letting them go in a different direction but without the link to the existing series, I don't see what the point is of the license (especially the toy license, which is like 99% nostalgia).
Why go through of all the design trouble of toys, monsters, costumes, etc? No one sane will chunk that and go from scratch

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
The comics are full of original designs. Not saying they're any good though. Solar Rangers are neat I guess.

The American production(s) will need people who know their shit on mecha design, martial arts, superhero and monster design to do worthwhile PR.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

"They" are different now though. Hasbro wasn't involved with the franchise at all at the time of the last movie. They will have to redesign everything for the movies anyway (and even tv shows considering the plans to make them directly tied to the movies), there's no way they'd go with the low budget existing suits and designs in theatrical features.

Now, if they stay with Toei they can go with close modernized redesigns, but if they weren't going to do that they might as well go without Toei. Mecha design also shouldn't be an issue for Hasbro, so the big point would be suit design, and that's considerably easier (even if Saban still messed up last time).

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
"They" are different now though. Hasbro wasn't involved with the franchise at all at the time of the last movie. They will have to redesign everything for the movies anyway (and even tv shows considering the plans to make them directly tied to the movies), there's no way they'd go with the low budget existing suits and designs in theatrical features.

Now, if they stay with Toei they can go with close modernized redesigns, but if they weren't going to do that they might as well go without Toei.
That's fine, they can and probably should redesign their own stuff for a movie franchise, what I'm saying is that most of the value of the franchise is tied into the likenesses of the older suits and zords. If they somehow cut out Toei but keep the Power Rangers license, that all goes poof. That would be really really stupid (IMHO). Like it would end their whole Lightning collection line before they even got halfway into milking it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why I can't get into the Ranger comics. Feels like paid fanfiction

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Bah. Ranger Slayer, Solar Rangers, and Omega Rangers are all good designs.
I was thinking more of the Mechazord and Gravezord. They're hodgepodge shapes stuck together rather than what Zords should be. I'm a huge fan of the animatronic Zords from early PR/Sentai, if that isn't clear enough. :P

World building PR is too much for singular comics creators, so the sooner these TV/movie/animation guys get working the better.