• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jamh

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Maybe this time they won't overdesign the suits and the zords will actually look like the creatures they're named after. I also wasn't a fan of giving the Rangers powers outside of the suits, I think it detracted from their actual skills when they could punch through walls without morphing.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If they're building a connected movie/tv universe, I'd say this strongly points to those rumors about them really breaking away from Toei being true (with Dino Fury likely being the last Sentai adaptation). Sentai's aesthetic wouldn't work for something like that at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Alternate Tommy that stayed evil.
latest

latest

latest

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Man, Koichi coming back would be one hell of a surprise. Wonder what he's up to today.
Mostly directing Ultraman alongside some Sentai (that mini-series with various Sentai teams facing each other was fully directed by him).

Wonder what that means for future seasons then.

Will we see original rangers now?

There was a rumor a few months ago about Hasbro breaking away from Toei to do fully original productions in the future. I'd guess this pretty much confirms it.

Sep 14, 2019
There was a rumor a few months ago about Hasbro breaking away from Toei to do fully original productions in the future. I'd guess this pretty much confirms it.

Hmm... I don't know how I feel about that.

I wonder if Hasbro will still be able to use/reference previous seasons.

Maybe a remake of the original series? Would be awesome to see the original Zords, or even the Shogun Zords with modern SFX.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
The film was great (not perfect) but the Twitch Power Rangers marathon that happened just before the film's release was amazing, had so much fun with it. Recorded a few reactions and uploaded it here

So is this new version still going to be Saturday morning style, or a bit more mature? Article mentions bringing PR to new audiences.

Nov 2, 2017
I know it's gonna be a MMPR remake or rehash. But please don't do it. Please please please.

I like sci fi rangers the best. Human tech. Give me an original ranger team in the vein of Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force, or SPD

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
So begins the 'recycle the first generation until we get it to stick' phase of Hasbro's ownership then, if true.

I remarked on it previously, but it is likely gonna suck if Hasbro do ever decide against further adapting Sentai, and turn the franchise insular so they can retain full control over it. Yes, MMPR is the most iconic, but a great appeal of the franchise is that it's a framework by which to get different characters, different themes, and just plain different stories while nevertheless having a baseline structure. It shouldn't be treated like Transformers, remaking the same broadstrokes story every few years

DarkWish

Oct 27, 2017
Virginia
I got the PR from Hasbro (see the spoiler text below). There's a bit in there that is very interesting...

"In addition to the new non-kid projects under Entwistle, Power Rangers-inspired kid series Beast Morphers is currently in season two."

So the film and TV show are going to be geared towards an older audience. What I'm envisioning is an animated Mighty Morphin series for the younger kids, and then this connected film/TV universe for a larger audience, similar to what they were trying to get with the 2017 movie, though obviously hoping for more success here. And likely that this film/TV universe won't be a Sentai adaptation but something original (this last part is partly based on rumors).

JONATHAN ENTWISTLE SIGNS ON TO REIMAGINE

NEW FILM & TELEVISION UNIVERSE BASED ON HASBRO'S POWER RANGERS FOR ENTERTAINMENT ONE

Further driving forward eOne's strategy to produce wide-appeal film and television content

from Hasbro's rich library of world-class IP

LOS ANGELES – October 20, 2020 – Entertainment One (eOne), Hasbro's entertainment studio, announced today that producer and director Jonathan Entwistle has come on board to shepherd new film and television adaptations of Power Rangers. eOne will develop and produce the projects with Entwistle set to direct across both formats.

"Jonathan has an incredible creative vision for this iconic and hugely successful franchise, and is hands down the right architect to join us as we reimagine the television and film worlds of this property," said Nick Meyer, President, Film, eOne and Michael Lombardo, President, Global Television, eOne. "Across our slate, we are looking forward to working with the most talented storytellers as we take on Hasbro's rich fan-favourite brands and build entertainment universes around them."

"This is an unbelievable opportunity to deliver new Power Rangers to both new and existing generations of awaiting and adoring fans. We'll bring the spirit of analog into the future, harnessing the action and storytelling that made this brand a success. I'm looking forward to working with the teams at eOne and Hasbro. Together, we can't wait to share more Power Rangers with the world very soon," said Entwistle.

Entwistle most recently co-created the Netflix original series I Am Not Okay With This and created Netflix original series The End Of The F***ing World. He is a graduate of the prestigious Chelsea School of Art in London and is represented by CAA, 42, Grandview and Jackoway Austen Tyerman Wertheimer Mandelbaum Morris Bernstein Trattner & Klein.

Power Rangers is an American entertainment and merchandising franchise built around a live-action superhero television series, based on the Japanese tokusatsu franchise Super Sentai. The first Power Rangers entry, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, debuted in 1993.

In 2018, Hasbro acquired the Power Rangers franchise from Saban Brands, releasing their first products in early 2019. In addition to the new non-kid projects under Entwistle, Power Rangers-inspired kid series Beast Morphers is currently in season two. Hasbro's film properties include DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS, as well as the TRANSFORMERS and G.I. JOE film franchises.

About eOne

Entertainment One Ltd. (eOne)
is a talent-driven independent studio that specializes in the development, acquisition, production, financing, distribution and sales of entertainment content. As part of global play and entertainment company Hasbro (NASDAQ: HAS), eOne's expertise spans across film, television and music production and sales; family programming, merchandising and licensing; digital content; and live entertainment. Through its extensive reach and scale, and a deep commitment to high-quality entertainment, eOne unlocks the power and value of creativity. eOne brings to market both original and existing content, sourcing IP from Hasbro's portfolio of 1500+ brands, and through a diversified network of creative partners.

About Hasbro

Hasbro (NASDAQ: HAS) is a global play and entertainment company committed to Creating the World's Best Play and Entertainment Experiences. From toys, games and consumer products to television, movies, digital gaming, live action, music, and virtual reality experiences, Hasbro connects to global audiences by bringing to life great innovations, stories and brands across established and inventive platforms. Hasbro's iconic brands include NERF, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, MY LITTLE PONY, TRANSFORMERS, PLAY-DOH, MONOPOLY, BABY ALIVE, POWER RANGERS, PEPPA PIG and PJ MASKS, as well as premier partner brands. Through its global entertainment studio eOne, Hasbro is building its brands globally through great storytelling and content on all screens. Hasbro is committed to making the world a better place for children and their families through corporate social responsibility and philanthropy. Hasbro ranked No. 13 on the 2019 100 Best Corporate Citizens list by CR Magazine and has been named one of the World's Most Ethical Companies® by Ethisphere Institute for the past nine years. We routinely share important business and brand updates on our Investor Relations website, Newsroom and social channels (@Hasbro on Twitter and Instagram).

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they finally going to treat Power Ranges as fucking more than Mighty Morphin?

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do it. Bring Lord Drakkon to the silver screen. Adapt the comics and show us the full potential of Power Rangers.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I mean. If you aren't relying on Toei you can do literally anything you want, you don't have to do MMPR for the 5th time.

But what if it might work the 6th time?!

But yeah, even an 'original' series I'd be surprised if they actually committed to basically creating a whole sentai team for themselves. Pleasantly surprised, but very surprised.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
I got the PR from Hasbro (see the spoiler text below). There's a bit in there that is very interesting...

"In addition to the new non-kid projects under Entwistle, Power Rangers-inspired kid series Beast Morphers is currently in season two."

So the film and TV show are going to be geared towards an older audience. What I'm envisioning is an animated Mighty Morphin series for the younger kids, and then this connected film/TV universe for a larger audience, similar to what they were trying to get with the 2017 movie, though obviously hoping for more success here. And likely that this film/TV universe won't be a Sentai adaptation but something original (this last part is partly based on rumors).

JONATHAN ENTWISTLE SIGNS ON TO REIMAGINE

NEW FILM & TELEVISION UNIVERSE BASED ON HASBRO'S POWER RANGERS FOR ENTERTAINMENT ONE

Further driving forward eOne's strategy to produce wide-appeal film and television content

from Hasbro's rich library of world-class IP

LOS ANGELES – October 20, 2020 – Entertainment One (eOne), Hasbro's entertainment studio, announced today that producer and director Jonathan Entwistle has come on board to shepherd new film and television adaptations of Power Rangers. eOne will develop and produce the projects with Entwistle set to direct across both formats.

"Jonathan has an incredible creative vision for this iconic and hugely successful franchise, and is hands down the right architect to join us as we reimagine the television and film worlds of this property," said Nick Meyer, President, Film, eOne and Michael Lombardo, President, Global Television, eOne. "Across our slate, we are looking forward to working with the most talented storytellers as we take on Hasbro's rich fan-favourite brands and build entertainment universes around them."

"This is an unbelievable opportunity to deliver new Power Rangers to both new and existing generations of awaiting and adoring fans. We'll bring the spirit of analog into the future, harnessing the action and storytelling that made this brand a success. I'm looking forward to working with the teams at eOne and Hasbro. Together, we can't wait to share more Power Rangers with the world very soon," said Entwistle.

Entwistle most recently co-created the Netflix original series I Am Not Okay With This and created Netflix original series The End Of The F***ing World. He is a graduate of the prestigious Chelsea School of Art in London and is represented by CAA, 42, Grandview and Jackoway Austen Tyerman Wertheimer Mandelbaum Morris Bernstein Trattner & Klein.

Power Rangers is an American entertainment and merchandising franchise built around a live-action superhero television series, based on the Japanese tokusatsu franchise Super Sentai. The first Power Rangers entry, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, debuted in 1993.

In 2018, Hasbro acquired the Power Rangers franchise from Saban Brands, releasing their first products in early 2019. In addition to the new non-kid projects under Entwistle, Power Rangers-inspired kid series Beast Morphers is currently in season two. Hasbro's film properties include DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS, as well as the TRANSFORMERS and G.I. JOE film franchises.

About eOne

Entertainment One Ltd. (eOne)
is a talent-driven independent studio that specializes in the development, acquisition, production, financing, distribution and sales of entertainment content. As part of global play and entertainment company Hasbro (NASDAQ: HAS), eOne's expertise spans across film, television and music production and sales; family programming, merchandising and licensing; digital content; and live entertainment. Through its extensive reach and scale, and a deep commitment to high-quality entertainment, eOne unlocks the power and value of creativity. eOne brings to market both original and existing content, sourcing IP from Hasbro's portfolio of 1500+ brands, and through a diversified network of creative partners.

About Hasbro

Hasbro (NASDAQ: HAS) is a global play and entertainment company committed to Creating the World's Best Play and Entertainment Experiences. From toys, games and consumer products to television, movies, digital gaming, live action, music, and virtual reality experiences, Hasbro connects to global audiences by bringing to life great innovations, stories and brands across established and inventive platforms. Hasbro's iconic brands include NERF, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, MY LITTLE PONY, TRANSFORMERS, PLAY-DOH, MONOPOLY, BABY ALIVE, POWER RANGERS, PEPPA PIG and PJ MASKS, as well as premier partner brands. Through its global entertainment studio eOne, Hasbro is building its brands globally through great storytelling and content on all screens. Hasbro is committed to making the world a better place for children and their families through corporate social responsibility and philanthropy. Hasbro ranked No. 13 on the 2019 100 Best Corporate Citizens list by CR Magazine and has been named one of the World's Most Ethical Companies® by Ethisphere Institute for the past nine years. We routinely share important business and brand updates on our Investor Relations website, Newsroom and social channels (@Hasbro on Twitter and Instagram).

Yeah they are totally bout to do their own thing in the future. I believe it. I doubt they would bring an award winning director and producer from Neflix series to simply do things with PR as normal. He's going to age it up to a CW tier production for sure. I wonder what will be the "kid friendly" version going forward? Something animated would be something.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
If they want a wider audience to bite on this, they need to evoke the original rangers and have the costumes actually look like the original suit.

The reboot movie made some interesting choices, I like the retooling of Zordon and Rita as original rangers and the cast and teen side of the plot was pretty well rounded. But the costumes and zords weren't good and when you are banking on the visual nostalgia and you don't get that right, boy.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Works for me, was not at all a fan of the most recent Movie attempt. As a power rangers movie, fell flat. Decent Teen movie I guess. I genuinely could not believe they used to Power Rangers theme for literally what 10 seconds while the Zords casually strolled along. The movie lost me at that moment.

Oct 26, 2017
Having never seen Power Rangers and going into that last movie, it *sucked*. I have no idea why it gets so much love.

Being very confused, my friends then made me watch the '90s show, which was *awesome*. I feel like if the movie had any fun with itself at all it would have been way better for it. Bring on something bright, colorful, and playful, not drab and dour and down.

This. The movie didn't feel like Power Rangers at all. Drab and soulless. Except Rita, Elizabeth Banks was a good cast.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't realize we were not getting a 2nd season of I am not okay with this. That is frustrating. Female led shows are getting eviscerated this season. Season 1 was really good.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
If they want a wider audience to bite on this, they need to evoke the original rangers and have the costumes actually look like the original suit.

The reboot movie made some interesting choices, I like the retooling of Zordon and Rita as original rangers and the cast and teen side of the plot was pretty well rounded. But the costumes and zords weren't good and when you are banking on the visual nostalgia and you don't get that right, boy.

I completely agree. I doubt they will go full on spandex but something similar fabric wise but still similar to how the old MMPR suits looked.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I hate that they will likely go "serious" "edge lord" trash for the movie again so they actually get a budget. If anything they should go MCU levels of PG13. Ant Man is more Super Sentai than anything.

For the series they just need to get decent actors god ever year they have been trash like beyond bad. Get out of New Zealand or whatever corner of the world they go to to save on budget. It's not gonna happen since they will continue to treat it as "children" show just make as much money and don't spend any.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I doubt Toei to be completely out of the picture if the rumors are accurate, we'll see how Hasbro gives PR the old college try…Disney at least gave us Ninja Storm and Dino Thunder before just stopped caring mid-SPD.

Sucks that if the Toei rumours are not true..rip the chances of this getting adapted
Hell they've yet to adapt Kyuranger and that was ripe for adaptation.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
The reboot was bad, good idea to move on.

I do hope they do put another diverse cast together.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
If they actually remember this is a children's show based around colourful fighters beating up wacky monsters, that would be swell.
Just do what Power Rangers does, but with a budget. It's not hard.