• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Such a tired excuse. MMPR stans are the Genwunners of Power Rangers.

That's not really a fair comparison. Gen 1 will always win out due to nostalgia, but all gens are usually represented fairly for the most part. With Power Rangers, the time it spent in the public eye was basically entirely limited to MMPR. Hell, even with the Ninja stuff, they only really bothered with the movie versions of that stuff, and by the time Zeo came around, you had the series, action figures, and that was kind of it.

You can think later series were better (I personally preferred Zeo and Time Force), but you absolutely can't deny that MMPR alone was Power Rangers for a good majority of people.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I love this game because it has the best parts of an anime fighting game (the incredible combat and open ended-ness) without any of the negatives (shitty netcode, anime).

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Maximillian did another stream of Power Ranger Battle for the Grid last night. Dude is hooked hard now with doggie and keeps playing. Lots of matches online.

Gotta say I'm super excited for Eric Myers because the dude has Cable's 4 shot. These dudes are making super neat inspired takes on marvel stuff and I have loved every evolution of a template they've made so far. My team in MVC2 was Spiral/Juggernaut/Cable and for the longest time it was Cable/Juggernaut/Sentinel. Basic takeaway from that you should have is that if someone has 4shot I WILL make a team with a solid GTFO assist to ruin your life. In MVC2 it was glitched juggernaut punch and drones. In this...maybe Green Ranger's kick but its got that delay. Ick. Probably Red Ranger sword dash assist or Dragon Armor Trini beam assist.
Bet ya I can make a dope as hell team outta either Eric Myers/Red Ranger/ Time force Pink or Eric Myers/Trini/Time Force Pink
Means, I'd be dumping my girl Kimberly as a main since she doesn't feel like a fit for Cable friendship unless his assist is dope for her, but it would mean I'd get to run 2 teams for different matchups :D

Last edited:

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I mean I could sit here and yell about all the different TMNT variations but that does change the fact that they peaked in pop culture when the late 80s cartoon was running.

Being mad about it doesn't change anything. The game's roster is diverse. Enjoy it, instead of being pissed that the average joe doesn't know who the space dog is.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Shrug I'm 25 and my intro to Power Rangers was randomly Dino Charged about 3 years back(was working on a project, had crappy internet but had some cable)

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Did some digging and found this:

Season 2 debuts on Xbox One and PC today, with access in the Americas for PlayStation 4 on September 25 and Nintendo Switch on September 27. PlayStation 4 and Switch players in Europe will have access during the first week of October.
Yeah this happens a lot, they are a tiny team and don't have a ton of console experience. But they've been doing their hardest and revising a ton on the gameplay side so I don't hold it against them

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
I don't think the average joe even knows what MMPR stands for. To the casual modern audience all characters might as well come from the same series (which they are, in a certain way).

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
nWayPlay creates an account which is used for cross-play and cross-progression.

Speaking of which, you need to enable cross-play in the settings as for some inexplicable reason, it defaults to off.

Ah, I'll probably not bother with that then, as it said it'll reset my stats, and I'm only gonna play on Xbox anyway.

Yeah, I found the cross play option in the settings last night. It's silly that is not an opt out thing.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't need it explained to me. I've interacted with these people for my entire time being involved with Power Rangers. Nearly any time anything is mentioned outside of the MMPR bubble you get shit like "Who?", "I only watched the original.", or "Anything not the original sucks!"
To be fair, this game is heavily based on the BOOM! comic series, "Shattered Grid", with countless characters and variants pulls straight from the comic pages (Ranger Slayer, Mastodon Sentry, Drakkon, Dragon Armor Trini, etc.).

And the comic is definitely a MMPR-centered series.
eac62faf47cdfa6d8cc4fea25409c33bc46b639br1-1200-680v2_00.jpg

Yes, there's been a LOT of Power Rangers since MMPR, but MMPR itself has had a pretty big resurgence lately with an on-going comic series (which is supremely good), a relatively recent reboot (with a Blue Ranger rep from the movie even in the game), Hasbro banking hard on nostalgia with a huge selection of Lightning Collection "greatest hits" (mostly MMPR characters and villains), and a LOT of prior actors (chiefly JDF) pushing crossovers and appearances in the show, games, and comics.

Do I want more reps from other series? Definitely (I'd say an RPM and In Space rep is all-but-guaranteed). But MMPR is still on-going in comics right now - and its phenomenal - and even vets like Austin St. John are coming back in next season's Beast Morphers, so the game is doing a very solid job of reflecting what's happening in many different branches of the Power Rangers universe.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
To be fair, this game is heavily based on the BOOM! comic series, "Shattered Grid", with countless characters and variants pulls straight from the comic pages (Ranger Slayer, Mastodon Sentry, Drakkon, Dragon Armor Trini, etc.).

And the comic is definitely a MMPR-centered series.
eac62faf47cdfa6d8cc4fea25409c33bc46b639br1-1200-680v2_00.jpg

Yes, there's been a LOT of Power Rangers since MMPR, but MMPR itself has had a pretty big resurgence lately with an on-going comic series (which is supremely good), a relatively recent reboot (with a Blue Ranger rep from the movie even in the game), Hasbro banking hard on nostalgia with a huge selection of Lightning Collection "greatest hits" (mostly MMPR characters and villains), and a LOT of prior actors (chiefly JDF) pushing crossovers and appearances in the show, games, and comics.

Do I want more reps from other series? Definitely (I'd say an RPM and In Space rep is all-but-guaranteed). But MMPR is still on-going in comics right now - and its phenomenal - and even vets like Austin St. John are coming back in next season's Beast Morphers, so the game is doing a very solid job of reflecting what's happening in many different branches of the Power Rangers universe.

I'm aware of all of this. I'm a part of the fandom. This isn't my first time discovering Power Rangers. I think the game and the Legacy Wars phone version are both doing well to incorporate other characters outside of MMPR - hell, the Boom specific characters are NEW or at least interesting revamps of existing ones like Ranger Slayer and that's cool as hell (even if Drakkon is over saturated imo at this point.)

My original point was that coming into a post and going "WHO?" when a franchise has been going on for nearly 30 years is stupid. The franchise has been evolving since the Mighty Morphin series ended in 1996.

But other posters have pointed out that I'm wrong for thinking this and I'm done. Sorry for derailing or whatever.

Nov 2, 2017
MMPR is in a resurgence due to how hard it gets wanked. Yes, the comic is excellent, but you repeatedly mine the same material for long enough, of course you'd eventually strike gold.

It's the same phenomenon as Pokemon, and it's infuriating as someone who'd like the rest of the franchise to get its due.

"Property is a break out hit, and hits fad status. Everyone and their mother is talking about MMPR/Pokemon. Fad dies down, bulk of fans move on to the Next Big Thing. Years pass, and these same fans that only took part when it was a Big Deal only care when their nostalgia is hit, claiming that the original is all that matters anyway."

It's tiring. The same material is mined over and over again, trying to call back those original people that only cared when it was a fad, and then it's pointed to as evidence for why it needs to be focused on some more.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm aware of all of this. I'm a part of the fandom. This isn't my first time discovering Power Rangers. I think the game and the Legacy Wars phone version are both doing well to incorporate other characters outside of MMPR - hell, the Boom specific characters are NEW or at least interesting revamps of existing ones like Ranger Slayer and that's cool as hell (even if Drakkon is over saturated imo at this point.)

My original point was that coming into a post and going "WHO?" when a franchise has been going on for nearly 30 years is stupid. The franchise has been evolving since the Mighty Morphin series ended in 1996.

But other posters have pointed out that I'm wrong for thinking this and I'm done. Sorry for derailing or whatever.
Eh, no worries. I grew up with it.

My roommate never watched a single episode and only knew about the original show and movies. I got him turned on to Time Force. He doesn't like the others, but he LOVES Time Force.

MMPR is in a resurgence due to how hard it gets wanked. Yes, the comic is excellent, but you repeatedly mine the same material for long enough, of course you'd eventually strike gold.

It's the same phenomenon as Pokemon, and it's infuriating as someone who'd like the rest of the franchise to get its due.

"Property is a break out hit, and hits fad status. Everyone and their mother is talking about MMPR/Pokemon. Fad dies down, bulk of fans move on to the Next Big Thing. Years pass, and these same fans that only took part when it was a Big Deal only care when their nostalgia is hit, claiming that the original is all that matters anyway."

It's tiring. The same material is mined over and over again, trying to call back those original people that only cared when it was a fad, and then it's pointed to as evidence for why it needs to be focused on some more.
Is that really fair? The comic series uses the original MMPR as a jumping OFF point. I mean, yeah, sorry that MMPR was a cultural phenomenon and that momentum didn't continue for the likes of... eh, Lightspeed Rescue? Wild Force? Operation Overdrive?

That's how cultural zeitgeists work. 40 years later and Star Wars will be defined by Luke, Darth Vader, Chewie, and the rest of the cast, even if Star Wars fans have embraced Darth Revan as their Sith savior or preach the merits of Poe Dameron to their peers. You will always - no matter WHAT - have more immediate recognition with Pokemon when you use Pikachu or Charizard on something rather than Minior or Morelull.

It's not about "giving the others a chance". They had their chance. They came out. They either became a success or they didn't. Sometimes a superior version fails because it doesn't resonate like the original did at the right time with the right crowd.

So MMPR was a massive, cultural-defining show for its time and NONE of its many, many, MANY imitators matched it (even if VR Troopers was more grown up, even if Big Bad Beetleborgs was more fun, even if Masked Rider had better source material, even if Superhuman Samurai/Gridman continues to get adaptations, even if Ultraman came first in both America and Japan and is still going strong with its fans, etc. etc.).

Its cultural footprint is so big that it doesn't matter that most fans know Time Force and RPM are superior. It doesn't matter that SPD does some crazy world-building or that Ninja Storm is the funniest season they ever did. It doesn't matter that most fans bailed before In Space salvaged the whole brand from cancellation. But those series came out, did their thing, and it either became successful or didn't.

Which is why Battle for the Grid itself draws from some of the more popular series in the franchise (and the more popular characters). Who's constantly mentioned as one of the best Pink Rangers? Time Force Pink, and there she is. Who is the standout from SPD? Shadow Ranger, and he's in the roster. Who's the coolest part of Lost Galaxy? Magna Defender, and wouldn't you know it, he's there.

Because they are the characters that left the biggest impacts - even if they couldn't match MMPR. You're probably not going to see Dax from Operation Overdrive, or Damon from Lost Galaxy, or Kelsey from Lightspeed Rescue, etc. (I would be happy to be proven wrong).

So, yeah, people remember the MMPR cast, and they've had the longest time to become entrenched in culture as THE face of the series. It's like complaining that Batman is in too many Justice League stories when you're a fan of Aztek or Mister Miracle. I mean, yeah, those are both great characters, but what do you expect? Would you really hold Warner Bros to task for failing to make Atom Smasher or Orion as successful as Superman and Batman, or for making more Batman merch than merch for Doctor Fate? It's the same reason Batman's universe makes up nearly HALF of the Injustice fighting game series.

It's not personal. Nobody is sitting there going "well, let's purposefully exclude a Ninja Storm rep because we HAVE to put in Billy somewhere". It's business and they know what sells and what doesn't. They know which images, phrases, and characters are most iconic - not because they forced it to happen but because, well, it already IS iconic and they can leverage that. If anyone at Hasbro thought that you could sell the most copies by putting Justin from Turbo on the front box, they would've (for the record, I like Justin from Turbo).

They're going to be telling new stories of Darth Vader in the comics and spin-offs for years to come. They're going to dip back into the well of 80's Turtlemania again and again. You'll get G1 Transformers every few years until the heat death of the universe. We were getting Adam West Batman movies and spin-offs until the very year Adam West died.

And it's going to be "Morphin' Time" for generations to come, so long as there are those who fondly remember the original MMPR show.
tumblr_mmqqvn6qIc1rewgato1_250.gif

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well plus MMPR is fully repped at this point(outside of say Rita or somehow getting the rights to Ivan Ooze) so it's not like we have to worry about them taking up more roster space. And I'm not really bothered by costumes. I do wonder if we'll get any more free characters(RPM getting a stage but not getting a character in this pass is suspicious especially after mystic force then Udonna).

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Clockw0rk live now with bftg on gamespot!
Let's get the full breakdown!

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
I just realized, Dai Chi could wind up being a straight up Shoto(Ryu/Akuma)!! Which would suit him and be cool since we don't have that archetype yet
That would be cool, but I'm hoping more for a proper version of UMvC3's Iron Fist, personally. Give him the ability to channel his Chi to modify his other 2 specials, give him a single hit Flying Dragon Kick as one, that can channel to make it hit higher, for easier follow ups, and maybe either make his next a projectile, or something defensive like a Shield Stagger. If that's buffed, turn it into an attack chain that locks the enemy back to the ground, for the cinematic action.

There's so many characters in the most recent Mahvel games that just didn't get enough love. Heck, I'd love it if he was like a more solid version of MVCI's Black Panther. Some of his mobile moves look like his...
Clockw0rk live now with bftg on gamespot!
Let's get the full breakdown!
Haven't watched any yet, did anyone else? It'd be nice if they offered a future peek of Quantum while they were there, ha. I've seen combos, but no deep dives into Doggie's moves and properties, so it sounds interesting.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
That would be cool, but I'm hoping more for a proper version of UMvC3's Iron Fist, personally. Give him the ability to channel his Chi to modify his other 2 specials, give him a single hit Flying Dragon Kick as one, that can channel to make it hit higher, for easier follow ups, and maybe either make his next a projectile, or something defensive like a Shield Stagger. If that's buffed, turn it into an attack chain that locks the enemy back to the ground, for the cinematic action.

There's so many characters in the most recent Mahvel games that just didn't get enough love. Heck, I'd love it if he was like a more solid version of MVCI's Black Panther. Some of his mobile moves look like his...

Haven't watched any yet, did anyone else? It'd be nice if they offered a future peek of Quantum while they were there, ha. I've seen combos, but no deep dives into Doggie's moves and properties, so it sounds interesting.
Shrug it's just the most obvious archetype, and the most classic one that isn't in BftG yet. Although yeah it may be better to pick and choose from a few styles

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Yo that stream showcased the smallest biggest change. That 3 frame thingy on jumps means wakeup jump or up back gets ate by crL.
I'm gonna be sliding on fools all day as Ranger slayer. That's her biggest starter is her low.

Also finally starting to change my combos up for damage with her. Starting to go for jump h jump m into crM so I can slide relaunch. Not sure I can end it like I used to though. Too much scaling with that launch added. Time to finally commit to an assist.

Red is good for everything, but jen is also good. Plus theres the all rounders who I can just combo with like gia Moran and Drakkon.
This is my biggest issue. I love all the cast so far. Everyone is awesome.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Something I was wondering is that why is there is no down special? It just feels weird to have back, forward, air and neutral specials and no special for the down direction.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Something I was wondering is that why is there is no down special? It just feels weird to have back, forward, air and neutral specials and no special for the down direction.
Give it time lol. Many characters got unique stuff. Jen has airdashes. Doggie has stance cancels. Gold Ranger had directional dash cancels with hitboxes on gold rush.

The new cast is trying a lot of different things. They've largely left it alone because I think the option to go from crouch to back, neutral or forward special by rolling into diagonals is probably a means of keeping combos low on difficulty. Lots of folks screw up and get a crouching move instead of a neutral one going from low mashing for a confirm into combo.

Plus if any kind of input buffering exists holding the attack on the last crouch could cause the down input to stay buffered when they hit special creating scenarios where goin from crouch attacks to standing special become hard to impossible if it has a buffer on inputs that doesnt require button holding. In kof you hold a button you buffer your last direction. In marvel there was just a window.

Things like that cost chris g a grand final vs pr balrog in umvc3. Caused shinsho to come out instead of shinko hadouken when he went from I think a forward heavy into a quarter circle for shinko hado. It kept the forward input and combined it into the quarter circle he input next and what it thought he did was a shoryuken motion that just went too far. On stick you mash forward and then do a quarter circle for a shoryu and that's what it saw it as. He whiffed, lost 3 bars and got bopped and fell apart all because a buffer carried one direction on him. A buffer could easily screw up a crouching confirm into neutral special attempt and come out crouching special if there was one.

Unless a particular character is made with a very particular combo route they want abused I dont see down special as something happening as readily as more command normals.

Last edited:

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Shrug it's just the most obvious archetype, and the most classic one that isn't in BftG yet. Although yeah it may be better to pick and choose from a few styles
I actually feel pretty well served on the Shoto-style front: Horizontal Projectile, Vertical AA, and Horizontal Kick that uses the body to travel are covered well by Tommy. But I do have to admit, first thing I thought of with Dai Shi was "Oh Great, and Akuma type!". Which mostly makes me think of Air projectiles, comboing off his horizontal kick special, and a Raging Demon Super.

Knowing the team's deeper cuts, I could see some Cyber Akuma sneaking in for no real reason whatsoever...
Yo that stream showcased the smallest biggest change. That 3 frame thingy on jumps means wakeup jump or up back gets ate by crL.
….
Red is good for everything, but jen is also good. Plus theres the all rounders who I can just combo with like gia Moran and Drakkon.
This is my biggest issue. I love all the cast so far. Everyone is awesome.
System changes sneakily change so much in this game. Adding in the plink dashing, there's some crazy Kara throws in there, the inability to upback wakeups as you mention... It definitely throws a person off, especially when you've not read the patches before playing again, haha.

I do find a lot of characters in this game quite fun. The good tools are spread pretty well. They do a good job making everyone feel like they have SOMETHING you want to play with and abuse.
Yeah, I was thinking of the kind of stuff Shaowebb said...

Unless a particular character is made with a very particular combo route they want abused I dont see down special as something happening as readily as more command normals.

Front and back specials are very exclusive from each other. As is neutral. A down special would probably "feel" best if you could activate it from Down, Down forward, and Down Back. This could all mess with slightly lazy / large inputs with the cardinal direction specials. Now in the AIR, having a down special would work, but why not make it a command normal? Unless the character already has a down arrorw command normal, and you want to give them a down special too...

I like the fact the game has specials within specials, like modifying Jen's Upkick, or cancelling Gold's dash into his kicks. Much less chance to cross up motions, which leads to a generally cleaner play experience.

If there's one thing I'm eventually expecting, it's for someone to have a Super that can be activated from the air.

Hmmmm... *looks at NaMe...*

I never would expected Doggie's sword could OTG from full screen, lol. So many "Wait.. that WoRKS?" stuff that happens. Heck, in my own vid, I was kinda suprised I DIDN'T miss the super at the end with Cenozoic here (I don't play him often, so thought I had to hit the mid-air opponent):

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I really want to try this game out, but the licensing issues means it's not accessible in Japan on any of the storefronts.
Gonna have to hope I can snag a digital code on a future business trip or anything. I hate having to do VPN tricks and such just to pay for something....

Seeing DekaMaster (was really confused when I kept seeing him called Shadow Ranger hah) in the game has made dealing with this a lot harder all of a sudden!

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Tommy will later get a Red turbo ranger, Red zeo ranger , and Black dino thunder alt.

Huh...for that matter I guess I just realized how many MMPR series arent repped yet. We need us some ninja soon. Also I got no clue what go busters were called in MMPR but I seriously want me one. Only sentai that wasn't too corny for me.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to try this game out, but the licensing issues means it's not accessible in Japan on any of the storefronts.
Gonna have to hope I can snag a digital code on a future business trip or anything. I hate having to do VPN tricks and such just to pay for something....
It's very quick and easy to either:

1. Temporarily change your Nintendo Account to an American account.
2. Create a different American Nintendo Account.

(Or any other country the game is sold)

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know in retrospect it's kinda lame that they used Kat when SPD Yellow has a unique clone gimmick and SPD Pink has an iron fist.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he even canonically has a dark energy fireball move and uses martial arts attacks(well plus the Lion Astral projection finisher). Would not be surprising at all

Also I still want Dark Ranger and his Boomerang sword flute, I mean he got his entire arc on the show even if his ranger form wasn't canonized until the comics(and for that matter we don't have a comics heroic ranger yet)
Dragon armor trini

Seeing DekaMaster (was really confused when I kept seeing him called Shadow Ranger hah) in the game has made dealing with this a lot harder all of a sudden!
i mean DekaSwan is also in the game

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's very quick and easy to either:

1. Temporarily change your Nintendo Account to an American account.
2. Create a different American Nintendo Account.

(Or any other country the game is sold)

Really? I tried this at least once with my US Switch account but got an error message somewhere in the process.
I can't remember if I was doing it on the eshop site or the Switch app though. Might have to try on the app later.
I just tried it again on the site and it definitely stops you right before checkout even on my US acct.

Dunno the exact details obviously, but Saban Rangers =/= Super Sentai and they are usually treated as separate entities which means a game like this will get blocked on stores in Japan.

i mean DekaSwan is also in the game
While true, she is no Hell's Guard Dog! Though I dunno what his English VO even sounds like.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I tried this at least once with my US Switch account but got an error message somewhere in the process.
I can't remember if I was doing it on the eshop site or the Switch app though. Might have to try on the app later.
I just tried it again on the site and it definitely stops you right before checkout even on my US acct.
Yeh try it through the actual eShop on the Switch. The only possible issue I can think of there is the eShop not accepting your card for payment. (You can buy eShop credit from Amazon US so long as you have a US address on your Amazon account.)

It's a pretty well known thing. People in the West take advantage of it to play games earlier from the Japanese store, or to get games at lower prices from other regions.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeh try it through the actual eShop on the Switch. The only possible issue I can think of there is the eShop not accepting your card for payment. (You can buy eShop credit from Amazon US so long as you have a US address on your Amazon account.)

It's a pretty well known thing. People in the West take advantage of it to play games earlier from the Japanese store, or to get games at lower prices from other regions.

Yeah, I have used it in the past but this was probably a case actively IP blocking the purchase outright though.
I know the error I got wasn't a card error, but a plain "This product is not available" when I just re-tried it on the eshop website.

It might still be worth trying it on the eShop app though!

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Yes. I definitely think he should be in. The comics are a godsend.

Also..the omega rangers all need to be added. They've got unique af weapons.

Or at least Zach (Black) and/or Kiya (Blue). I know we ideally want to avoid having multiple iterations of the same characters on the roster for the time being, but to say the least, "Mastodon Sentry" shouldn't count toward Zach's appearances, because that's not actually him.