• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did Your Last Gen Console Survive the Entire Generation?

• Launch Day Console Going Strong

Votes: 129 40.8%
  • Mid-Gen Console Going Strong

Votes: 176 55.7%
  • Mine Needed to be Replaced for Reasons

Votes: 12 3.8%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 34 10.8%

• Total voters

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I just realized my launch day PlayStation 4 got me through the entire generation. While it might be loud as a jet engine it hasn't actually broken down on me.
Our last gen consoles served us well and they will be fondly remembered.

tenor.gif

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
My PS4 Pro's a few months away from four years of very heavy use.

It runs fine outside of occasionally sounding like a dang jet engine.

My One S has been fine as well, although it does have a slightly unhealthy noise that's stuck around since I got it.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Never bought a console last-gen but I can say that my GTX1060 definitely did not survive.

Mar 8, 2018
Good riddance, honestly. PS4 and Xbone long overstayed their welcome. The most transitional, least transformative, least convenient console generation ever, IMO. Next gen quality of life is so far beyond last gen.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
PS4 that was bought Q1 2014. Still works. Loud as a jet engine, but works.

Had 4 or 5 dualshocks, though, and all of them have at least some issues with sticks.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
I actually got into drinking with my launch PS4 Pro and spilled some on it. My power and eject buttons died, but eject seems to work now.
Other than that my first model Pro is alright.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I bought mine in September 2014.. I think? The MGS5 special edition (have yet to play the game lol)
Still going strong! Will soon pass it to my GF's brother for him to enjoy it

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
My original launch PS4 is still going strong. I sold it to a friend when the Pro launched and he still uses it regularly.
I gave my Pro to my nephew a couple of weeks ago, but it served me well from 2017 until then.

Hoping to have the same luck with my PS5 in the near future!

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I never buy launch models, I always wait at least for one or two hardware revisions and price reduction (since I live on Brazil, PS5+game is around $1000 around here rn so no thanks). With that being said, I never had a console or portable fail on me.

My PS4 Pro, Switch and PS2 slim (lol) still doing fine.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
They're all fine.

PS4 Original Model
XB1S
XB1X

Still playing the PS4 as PS5s are impossible to find.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
My launch PS4 died just before Pro launch because the ceiling of my room fell on it lol

My PS4 Pro it's still kicking. (I also bought a PS4 before the Pro to have something to play, sold it to a friend and it's still working great).

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
They all gave me great experiences tho. BF4 and playing Destiny 1 for so many hours on OG Xbox One.
PS4 Pro having great games and the Xbox One X just be amazing console overall. Red Dead and how it looked was crazy to experience.
All played fine until now or until sold.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
My launch PS4 is still living in the house of my sister in law.
My Jet Engine launch Pro is still living and will ended up being a christmas gift for the boyfriend of an other sister in law.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
My vanilla PS4 was bought several months after launch, and by the time the Pro released, there was a ridiculous amount of dust in my console. Even after (attempting to) clean it a few times, the fans still started running at full blast all the time.

My Pro held up a lot better, and it helped that it was easier to open it up and keep it clean. Still a pretty damn loud system at times, though.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Great great generation! So many great games on both sides. I will say, my PC started to take more and more of a backseat.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
My launch ps4 made it. It's only been used for about 3 games the last few years though.

Last time i played my base one it worked and my one x has been great since launch.

Crossing my fingers my series x is a one and done deal too.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
My launch PS4 probably would've lasted the whole generation if I didn't trade it in for the Pro during last year's Black Friday sale.

bearbytes

Jan 17, 2018
My launch PS4 and 2 controllers lasted me the whole generation, as long as they dont die before my PS5 arrives tomorrow!

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
My PS4 is from early 2014. Still works just fine.

It doesn't even get that loud usually -- only when being really taxed.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We should be able to vote for both launch and mid gen. Launch XB1 I gave away still works, as does the X1S I also gave away. My X1X works great and the Pro did until I retired it the other day. Can't speak to my launch PS4 as it's been retired since the Pro launched.

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
I picked up my PS4 when Destiny was released. It's been going strong except for sounding like a rocket that's about to escape the atmosphere. Other than the noise though, it's been rock solid.

Oct 29, 2017
Original PS4, original VCR Xbone, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X all putting in work until the end. Alongside that original Xbox 360, also still trucking along.

Ant78

Oct 27, 2017
Day One Edition XBox and my PS4 purchased in December 2013 still running strong. Also have a second base PS4 I bought used that I use at work that's still fine (BD drive is dead, don't need it though).

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I only got one in 2018 with the launch of Spider-Man and it's still happy. As I'd expect from an only 2 year old console. It also helped me discover the joy of melted minstrels the other day so it's a good console. Good job, PS4.

Oct 27, 2017
My 6 year old white destiny 1 launch ps4 still works perfect with the same ol HDD lol should really get an ssd for it... even though I dont really use it anymore! Was a amazing console with even more amazing games!
Really want a ps5 but im tbh tried of paying for PSN just for pvp or multiplayer when its free on steam and pc!

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Sold both of my launch consoles for the mid-gen upgrades. They are both working just fine, but I'm more than happy to box them up and sell them.

Fuck the Jaguar APU.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
No need to pour one out yet. Bought Bugsnax, Sackboy, and Crash 4 (on sale) this month for PS4. Very pleased with the cross-gen support as I always wait for PS Slim consoles