• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, only 2 years. I'm using a shucked 2tb Seagate Expansion portable drive, which is basically a Barracuda drive. Has been using it since February 2016, so almost 4 years with no problems. Hope it keeps that way. It did make a loud beeping noise in the beginning after you turned on the PS4 and played a game for a while, but it hasn't been doing that for a long time now.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some of you are just unlucky. Seagate doesn't fail as much as everyone in here says. They are on par with WD and everyone else.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a seagate 2tb in my ps4 that i put in 2014, it also beeps occasionally :(

I really hope it lasts till the ps5 drops. Go a backlog of games installed on there and really don't want to go though setting everything up.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
No Seagate
No Western Digital

Learn this and live. (No, I don't want to know about your several drives from these companies that have survived wars.)

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
I've been rolling with WD for the past decade and only had 1 failure - a 2TB Passport that I had to RMA after a year of use.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
No Seagate
No Western Digital

Learn this and live. (No, I don't want to know about your several drives from these companies that have survived wars.)

While purely anecdotal, I've experienced three HDD failures over a 15 year period and they all came from consumer grade Seagate drives. I've been using a mix of Hitachis, IBM Deskstar series, and Seagate cheetah/barracudas in various home applications from gaming PCs, home NAS network storage, to console external enclosures. I've also used 10K and 15K RPM Seagate highend mechanical drives in gaming PCs before SDDs became mainstream and while loud, those did not fail. That being said, I've became apprehensive towards Seagate because of prior failures. I avoid them whenever possible.

Within the last 5-6 years or so, I've been using HGST Helioseal mechanical internal drives given their industry leading low failure rate and they've been great in terms of performance, reliability and accoustics.

I bought a couple of 6TB units on the cheap a while ago as well, threw it into an external enclosure, and use that for my Xbox and PlayStation. So far no issues whatsoever.

Helioseal mechanical drives are a bit pricey but for me, the extra peace of mind was totally worth it.

Helioseal drives started as enterprise solutions but they've made their way into consumer grade drives in recent years starting with Western Digital/HGST, and lately, Seagate. Might be worth looking into.

PWRade

Oct 25, 2017
I put in an 8TB Seagate drive in my PC earlier in the year and it died in 4 days, yet I have a 2TB WD drive that has lasted 5 years.
A couple of years ago my friend had 2 of his Seagate 2TB drives fail within a year.
Seagate hard drives are soooo bad.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've had one drive fail ever and it was a seagate. That was back in about 2001, it lasted until 2003. On the other hand a PC from 2003 is still kicking with a seagate drive, so *shrugs* (barely used anymore, but was used heavily between 2003-2008).

I only buy Western Digital now though just in case. The one with my Wii U is WD and it was used for daily Mac time machine backups from 2009-2012 and then heavily (20k+ hours easily) on the Wii U from 2012-2017. Still kicking fine, although I wouldn't be surprised if it kicked the bucket randomly now, I wouldn't blame it either, lol.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Never had a seagate drive die on me.

Had a few wds die and some lots of IBM ones.

Seagate have been the most reliable for me personally so it's all I use now.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Oh wow, only 2 years. I'm using a shucked 2tb Seagate Expansion portable drive, which is basically a Barracuda drive. Has been using it since February 2016, so almost 4 years with no problems. Hope it keeps that way. It did make a loud beeping noise in the beginning after you turned on the PS4 and played a game for a while, but it hasn't been doing that for a long time now.
That beep is the drive not getting enough power.

Mine did it occasionally in my launch ps4 but hasn't since moving it to the pro

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Hmm been a while since I checked the health of my backup Seagate drive.

1vzpk7X.png

IT BEGINS

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
If you think that sucks: the M.2 SSD in my PC is riddled with bad blocks and hit the FUBAR'd point a couple days ago. I've had the thing for 7 months.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Anecdotal, but the only drives I've ever had fail on me were Seagates. One in my PS4 (lost all saves), and one in my desktop (it didn't fully shit the bed but it didn't boot into Windows even in safe mode, I got all the important shit off and then wiped it).

Still using both b/c I'm cheap but I manually back up my PS4 saves (again, I don't pay for Plus because I'm cheap and also my PS4 is an exclusives machine nowadays so it's not getting used that much, the drive failure happened back when it was my primary platform so it stung a lot more) and I don't keep anything important on the Seagate drive on my PC, just game installs which can easily be redownloaded. I've bought a Toshiba drive to supplement it and that's probably what I'll go with again when buying another drive

Last edited:

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
same as the official ps4 one?

Depends on the year............but some of the seagates had samsungs actual drive tech in their own. I own a few of them with 0 failure rates. All of the companies have certain drives that fail a lot more than others. I think seagates problem stems from just how many different types they have, along with how many they sell. More sales equals higher failure amount just based on how many own them. Their percentage is higher for sure though.

HGST i think was the lowest and very consistent in reliability while seagate was the most varied.

I always just google the drive model I am looking at to see if there are results for them