• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Super Mario 64 OST: The GOAT?

• Yes

• No

• For real!?

Results are only viewable after voting.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Nier Automata
and especially
Silent Hill 2 operate on an entirely different stratosphere

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Choose your fighter

maxresdefault.jpg

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
High quality rips are going on.

Though at the risk of over-explaining, here's what's going on for those unfamiliar with high quality rips.
This should explain everything you need to know:

It's a channel that uploads high quality rips, by which they mean surprisingly well done parodies, remixes, and Flintstones.

The videos are, of course, styled like the videos are the real thing.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
*Laughs in doom*
*Laughs in witcher 3*
*Laughs in bloodborne*
*Laughs in vice city*
*Laughs in the order 1886*
*Laughd in God of war*

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Have I somehow slipped into the most terrible type of alternate timeline where Chrono Cross never existed? Because that would be incredibly Chrono Cross. And sad

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
It's one of the greatest, but Frostpunk is the greatest soundtrack IMO since.... Shit.... NiGHTs or Mario Galaxy (tied) man.

Some GOAT shit.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
FF7R says Hi.

Also even Donkey Kong has better OST imo compared to Mario 64.

This DK song is majestic.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's barely even in the top 5 3D Mario soundtracks

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
It's not even the best soundtrack on the Nintendo 64.

Perfect Dark
F-Zero X
Ogre Battle 64
Starfox 64
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja games
Castlevania 64
Sin & Punishment
Turok 2
Mischief Makers

Last edited:

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Street Fighter 2, Doom 2016, Assassin's Creed 2, Mass Effect, StarCraft, Star Control 2, Quest for Glory 4, Tie Fighter, Monkey Island, Bastion, Fez, Shadow of the Colossus come to mind when I think of best video game soundtrack. If I were to pick a Mario game as best soundtrack, it would be Galaxy or Odyssey.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I think people are getting caught up on the wrong question. Pound for pound MIGHT have an argument. Meaning, when taken as a whole, there's really not a bad track on the OST and pretty much every track is incredible. So the good to bad ratio is probably higher than most games.

Chrono Trigger is my favorite OST, and while it has more songs than Mario 64 that are also incredible, it also has more that are ok or bad.

Even still, I voted no.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
FF7R says Hi.

Also even Donkey Kong has better OST imo compared to Mario 64.

This DK song is majestic.

While I think FF7R's soundtrack is excellent, and better than Super Mario 64's, it isn't even the best Final Fantasy 7 OST.

High quality rips are going on.

Though at the risk of over-explaining, here's what's going on for those unfamiliar with high quality rips.
This should explain everything you need to know:

It's a channel that uploads high quality rips, by which they mean surprisingly well done parodies, remixes, and Flintstones.

The videos are, of course, styled like the videos are the real thing.

tenor.gif

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
No Mario game has close to the best soundtrack in gaming and 64 isn't even the best of those

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Amazed at the number of people who don't even listen to the musics in the OP.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Several of the Silent Hill games stand far above it. Hell the Streets of Rage 2 soundtrack is far better. SM64's doesn't have a bad soundtrack, its great even but its nowhere close to the all time best.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No. It's good, but nowhere near the level of quality of the game itself.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a masterpiece, the OST is part of that, but the whole package.

Unlike another masterpiece like Doom, its soundtrack is not one of its strongest points; still great and that puts it above many other games though, top 50 maybe.

Another masterpiece on the same system that has a better soundtrack is the Ocarina of Time, for example.

Also, I wonder if there is a site that explains the jokes on SilvaGunner's videos 😅 I only got the Speedrunning explanation.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
No. It's a really great soundtrack, there's no doubt about that, but it's not even close to the best soundtrack in gaming history. It's not even the best Mario or N64 soundtrack!

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Octopath Traveller, DKC 1/2, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of T/D/S are all way better soundtracks (as great as SM64 is) so an easy no for me.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
FF VI - XI

It's probably one of these.

edit:

My personal favorite is FFVI, followed by FF VIII.

MGS series and Suikoden have great soundtracks as well.

Last edited: