• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Super Mario 64 OST: The GOAT?

• Yes

• No

• For real!?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
The entire OST clock in at only 51 minutes, but it's filled with so many memorable tunes that it just might be pound for pound the GOAT game OST. Do you agree? (I don't).

Would you all put it as the best of all time? Or just up there at the top?

Last edited:

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
*looks at username*
*thinks it doesn't even have as good of a soundtrack as Persona 5*
*meekly exits the thread*

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
I could list probably hundreds of games with great soundtracks that you could make the same argument for, so I don't think it's going to ever be possible to determine a definitive best.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly an amazing soundtrack, but I would not say it's the greatest. This is going to be a common answer, but it's probably one of the Nier games.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Not to me.

But then again, I don't have a definitive game that is... there's too many.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
FWIW I think it's Xenoblade Chronicles or Chrono Trigger personally. But I thought this was an interesting question. The SM64 OST just doesn't miss and it's short.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Pound for pound...as in the best music to be stuffed on an 8 megabyte cart? Then I'd probably have to say yes.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's a great soundtrack, but I can think of several dozen I prefer over it.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I sorta doubt it would make the top fifty (maybe not even the top one hundred). Just think of all the amazing RPG soundtracks out there. There are a crazy number of incredible OSTs.

There is nothing wrong with Mario 64's soundtrack, but it is comparatively one-note.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Nope that's Octopath Traveler. No other soundtrack has the sheer breadth of varied, quality tunes as that game.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
SM64 certainly has an iconic soundtrack, and it's not bad, but I don't think Iconic necessarily means best. Maybe hot take, but sonic adventure already slaps it down.
*looks at username*
*thinks it doesn't even have as good of a soundtrack as Persona 5*
*meekly exits the thread*

Also this.

P5 and NieR are among my GOATs personally.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
While I like Mario music none of the franchises games have ever been my top favorite video game soundtracks.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Its not even on the level of 2020's games
Ori_and_the_Will_of_the_Wisps.jpg

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
FWIW I think it's Xenoblade Chronicles or Chrono Trigger personally. But I thought this was an interesting question. The SM64 OST just doesn't miss and it's short.
Didn't play Xenoblade, but if you're talking about an OST that's consistently good and well-balanced with no bad songs, then yeah. I'd say Super Mario 64 and Chrono Trigger fit the bill. However, I'd say Super Mario Galaxy fits the bill as well and sounds much better than Super Mario 64's OST.

I wouldn't say it's the GOAT, though. There are more OSTs out there that are just as balanced and also sound great.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
1) it don't have the best mario sound track
2) It don't have the best nintendo platformer soundtrack
3) It don't have the best platformer sound track

Sonic existing in this dimension crushes that idea underfoot, and we are just keeping it to platformes to be fair. We not even gonna get into other genre's you gonna put the mario 64 soundtrack up against other genre's

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
It's really good but it's not even the best Mario soundtrack let alone the best video game soundtrack.