• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Response from the team

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Let's clear this up: Our tech team investigated claims of a data breach and found no evidence of such on our end. We have no reason to believe our database has been compromised. What appears to have happened is that a determined troll gained access to a small number of accounts through known-leaked passwords (from breaches on other sites) and/or brute forcing weak passwords. One of the IPs used by the troll in question, not to mention the writing style, matches those used by a banned member who has long been engaged in alt right harassment against our community.

With all of that in mind we declined to engage the troll. What we did do is force the affected accounts to reset their passwords, and each of those individuals was contacted to inform them of what happened. We also updated our General Guide with recommendations on personal and account security.

Again, we have no reason to believe there has been a data breach, but both here and everywhere all members should take care to use strong passwords that are unique to each site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Let's clear this up: Our tech team investigated claims of a data breach and found no evidence of such on our end. We have no reason to believe our database has been compromised. What appears to have happened is that a determined troll gained access to a small number of accounts through known-leaked passwords (from breaches on other sites) and/or brute forcing weak passwords. One of the IPs used by the troll in question, not to mention the writing style, matches those used by a banned member who has long been engaged in alt right harassment against our community.

With all of that in mind we declined to engage the troll. What we did do is force the affected accounts to reset their passwords, and each of those individuals was contacted to inform them of what happened. We also updated our General Guide with recommendations on personal and account security.

Again, we have no reason to believe there has been a data breach, but both here and everywhere all members should take care to use strong passwords that are unique to each site.

Thanks for the update.

Why the hell would anyone bother with hacking data on this site?

Hating on this site is literally the only reason some people seems to live for. It's crazy. And sad.

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for the clarity, B-Dubs. These idiots love chaos, so I am glad we can tamp down on any panic before they get their lulz

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
17c.png

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Nice this resolved so quickly.

But I seriously hope people don't reuse passwords... Seriously, not an good idea unless you truly don't care about those particular cases

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Luckily I use a password manager so no two sites have the same password. Everyone else should too.
Starting using one over the holidays. I don't actually know most of my passwords. The only exceptions are ones that I can't use the manager for and even then they've got different unique passwords at least.

It's so much more secure and easier.

FUN FACT: Twitter will accept a password that is 128 characters long.

Oct 26, 2017
Not going to link to this crap, but if you want to know who this person is, this is what she published recently on Russia Today:

lolqrj5s.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't worry about passwords so much, but instead the email addresses used since they don't allow free ones.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017

When your life is so sad that this is the highlight of it.

Thanks for the update.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
they can have my account if they want.

i do use the password for this site on some others but those are sites i really don't care if i lose access to. the email i have for on here i don't use anywhere else. my ISP gives me disposable emails so on the rare occasion i need to use an ISP email i just make one then delete it.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
It doesn't hurt to change your passwords or consider 2FA regardless, but I thought it was suspect considering who reported on it. Why would they seem to care unless the site was actually on fire so they could celebrate?

vypek

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the update. But could you threadmark this and change the title for people just coming into the thread?

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019

Thanks for the quick update. Might be a good idea to threadmark this post or paste it to the OP Falchion B-Dubs.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Welp I changed my password just in case, not that I reuse them.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, known liar and shit stirrer Sophia Narwitz. The same scuzz ball that went crawling through the Boyega topic trying to frame black posters' sarcasm as racist sentiment.

She's a piece of shit.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
This person has stirred up shit against here in the past, haven't they? I recognize the name as somebody I would never pay attention to.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't worry about passwords so much, but instead the email addresses used since they don't allow free ones.
???

You can sign up with a gmail account.

This "journalist" can't be bothered to do basic fact checking before posting another "hey everyone there's a list of logins for a common alt-right target that doesn't want you to know about it! But don't look at it tee-hee!" joined at the hip with the usual gamergate 'they don't like me' polemic.

Edit: Oh I guess that was changed? oh well keep out the plebs

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

How can we be sure this isn't an elaborate ruse and the troll hasn't gained access to B-Dubs account?

🤔

/s adding this just to avoid confusion

Feb 1, 2018
This place still requires you to sign up with a work/school/paid email, right? Kinda scary and bad OPSEC. You can get doxxed very easily

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
But the one thing I did learn from this thread, this person who "reported" the issue is also a troll.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
are you unaware there is like an obsessed faction from Kiwi Farms and others keeping tabs on folks here and laughing at discussions? Regardless it has been cleared up.
Thanks for the update.

Hating on this site is literally the only reason some people seems to live for. It's crazy. And sad.

that is fucking weird. I guess that reinforces why I don't speak directly about who I am then

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You guys store passwords as salted hashes right?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
that is fucking weird. I guess that reinforces why I don't speak directly about who I am then
It really goes beyond stalking too. people have been doxxed and swatted *just for being a ResetEra member*
There are a nonzero number of psychopaths with a chip on their shoulder looking for any morsel of personal information shared here.
People like the "journalist" in the OP enable this behavior, especially with their actions during the E3 breach.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018

Are you able to confirm that passwords are stored encrypted and not in plain text?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
xenForo (the forum software) should have baseline encryption and salting if installed and implemented correctly.
Users should be using 2FA regardless if concerned about their account.

Status
Not open for further replies.