• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Not trying to create a panic but this morning, someone on Twitter claimed that ResetEra had been breached and user data including emails and passwords had been leaked online. I posted this in the site issues thread and messaged staff, but no one has responded so far. Given how serious this is, I wanted to make sure everyone was aware so users could change their passwords on Era and emails / other accounts as soon as possible.

I'm not sure how reliable this person is, but regardless, it would be a good idea for everyone to change their password and enable two factor authentication just in case this turns out to be real.

Grw2YkP.png

[Mod edit: Switched to screengrab]

Staff response:

Official Staff Communication
Let's clear this up: Our tech team investigated claims of a data breach and found no evidence of such on our end. We have no reason to believe our database has been compromised. What appears to have happened is that a determined troll gained access to a small number of accounts through known-leaked passwords (from breaches on other sites) and/or brute forcing weak passwords. One of the IPs used by the troll in question, not to mention the writing style, matches those used by a banned member who has long been engaged in alt right harassment against our community.

With all of that in mind we declined to engage the troll. What we did do is force the affected accounts to reset their passwords, and each of those individuals was contacted to inform them of what happened. We also updated our General Guide with recommendations on personal and account security.

Again, we have no reason to believe there has been a data breach, but both here and everywhere all members should take care to use strong passwords that are unique to each site.

Last edited by a moderator:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Luckily I use a password manager so no two sites have the same password. Everyone else should too.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This woman works for Colin Moriarty? Lol.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I expect Era admins are already informed about this, so it's a bit dissappoing that they aren't the first to go public about it. I get avoiding panic, but in such a situation you should swallow your pride and get people to change their password, ASAP. Especially as a lot people reuse it for lots things.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would change it but take her word for a grain of salt. She isn't the most reliable source.

Response from the team

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Let's clear this up: Our tech team investigated claims of a data breach and found no evidence of such on our end. We have no reason to believe our database has been compromised. What appears to have happened is that a determined troll gained access to a small number of accounts through known-leaked passwords (from breaches on other sites) and/or brute forcing weak passwords. One of the IPs used by the troll in question, not to mention the writing style, matches those used by a banned member who has long been engaged in alt right harassment against our community.

With all of that in mind we declined to engage the troll. What we did do is force the affected accounts to reset their passwords, and each of those individuals was contacted to inform them of what happened. We also updated our General Guide with recommendations on personal and account security.

Again, we have no reason to believe there has been a data breach, but both here and everywhere all members should take care to use strong passwords that are unique to each site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 14, 2017
If user passwords were leaked as the result of a breach, that would mean they aren't stored as hashes. So, either Era has literally no password security (doubtful?) or the passwords were just easy/common passwords that were easy to rainbow table.

Or, failing that, it's just users who used the same username / password elsewhere and Era wasn't even breached.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like bullshit. Passwords are usually stored as hashes, not in clear text. Normally, they can't be used to log into accounts (only if you used really weak passwords). And the twitter user is a right-wing lunatic who recently wrote an article about a conspiracy that prevents conservative devs to get into the industry.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Claiming a data breach would be a super easy way to try and sow discord on a site that the alt-right dislikes.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no way modern forum software like xenforo is storing passwords. Hashes maybe

OP
OP
Falchion

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise

Let's clear this up:

Our tech team investigated claims of a data breach and found no evidence of such on our end. Our database has not been compromised. What appears to have happened is that a determined troll gained access to a small number of accounts through known-leaked passwords (from breaches on other sites) and/or brute forcing weak passwords. One of the IPs used by the troll in question, not to mention the writing style, matches those used by a banned member who has long been engaged in alt right harassment against our community.

With all of that in mind we declined to engage the troll. What we did do is force the affected accounts to reset their passwords, and each of those individuals was contacted to inform them of what happened. We also updated our General Guide with recommendations on personal and account security. Again, there was no data breach, but both here and everywhere all members should take care to use strong passwords that are unique to each site.

Good to know. Thanks for the update! I know staff are working diligently on it.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I changed my password anyway. Regardless of the situation, it's always a good idea to make regular changes.

I knew it wasn't a good idea to make it the same as my username anyway, so I used Stinkles' name instead. Yep, I'm smart!

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda have my doubts personally just because of who it is. But if you all give me your private info including credit card information I can make sure no one will touch it

Primus

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the quick update, B-Dubs.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Changed mine just to be safe, better luck next time Hackerman!

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Let's clear this up:

Our tech team investigated claims of a data breach and found no evidence of such on our end. Our database has not been compromised. What appears to have happened is that a determined troll gained access to a small number of accounts through known-leaked passwords (from breaches on other sites) and/or brute forcing weak passwords. One of the IPs used by the troll in question, not to mention the writing style, matches those used by a banned member who has long been engaged in alt right harassment against our community.

With all of that in mind we declined to engage the troll. What we did do is force the affected accounts to reset their passwords, and each of those individuals was contacted to inform them of what happened. We also updated our General Guide with recommendations on personal and account security. Again, there was no data breach, but both here and everywhere all members should take care to use strong passwords that are unique to each site.

Ah. Good to know.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
If this is real, ResetEra is over.

As far as i know, no company has survived a data breach.

/s

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the fast response!

Status
Not open for further replies.