• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
Yeah

But do they still sell used games as new?

lol I mean, I get it- you want to tear off that cellophane, and I mean I legitimately get it because I do too. But like, if you didn't reserve the game, one of those copies is gonna get put out so that Joe Everyman can look at it out on the floor without having to ask someone to pull it out of a glass case. Once someone is holding something they're much more likely to want to buy it.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
2/4 near me closed. Make them like this it should help.

Only issue is I hate the way they run this business. But I'd hate to see them go under.

Physical forever.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That ... looks terrible.

Gamestop has many problems, making their store look like a thrift store from 2005 is not a solution

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of you can't just be happy for anything.

Gamestop had to work diligently to lose me as a regular customer.

In college I worked for electronics boutique. Our location was in the central location between a bunch of game developers. Employees from those devs would come in and just hang out with us, and other customers. We actually had a really rad little community going there for a while.

Years later I purchased the last copy of UT2K4 Special Edition in my area from Babbages. The bonus DVDs in that box were instrumental in getting my first job at a game dev.

For years after that I was a loyal customer even after the gamestop take-over.

Over time as they implemented more and more anti-consumer / customer policies I stopped shopping there.
Some of the policies that that really got under my skin:
  • no full refunds on games
  • selling opened box games as new
  • discarding boxes / manuals for games that were traded in
  • slapping those terrible labels all over pre-owned games.
  • taking full payment for console pre-orders and not setting one aside for that customer [ Xbox 360 launch]
  • "do you want pre-order specific game / protection plan / take a survey / pre-order anything?"
    • and the stupid quotas they put on employees for pre-orders.
Now as I clear out my physical game collection I only go there to trade in games for eShop / steam cards.

Gamestop did this to themselves, and I have zero sympathy for the company, but I do hope the employees are able to find new jobs quickly.

Oct 27, 2017
lol I mean, I get it- you want to tear off that cellophane, and I mean I legitimately get it because I do too. But like, if you didn't reserve the game, one of those copies is gonna get put out so that Joe Everyman can look at it out on the floor without having to ask someone to pull it out of a glass case. Once someone is holding something they're much more likely to want to buy it.

I recently bought a couple 3DS games from gamestops online store, they came sealed with a piece of tape. No excuse for online orders being like that.

No other store sells open products as "new". At the very least open box items should get a discount.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I shit on Gamestop every chance I get. That being said, this looks pretty great and mine was "moving everything" the other day when I went to pick up Daemon X Machina.

I think with the added space and possibility of making it a "game lounge" type of space this could help it compete with the places I see popping up elsewhere that more gamers are going to.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I saw this video up on Kinda Funny yesterday. My first thought was, "Do you want merch to be stolen easily? Because that's how you get merch stolen easily."