• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I think games (MMOs and anything related) should get rid of monthly subscription models and rely on microtransactions and DLC for revenue.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I can't bring myself to play games with shitty art direction. Especially games with insufferably uninspired baddies, regardless of how good the game is.

Hence why I couldn't stomach Prey.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
don't know about unreasonable, but it's particular to my game preferences: the PS4 is the single least interesting console/gaming machine on the market.

ASCII art and interfaces are preferable to redundant, completely uninteresting action games

BotW is a fair Zelda game but not nearly as focused and enjoyable as some of the DS/3DS games

Nov 1, 2017
I have developed an unnatural fear of the uncanny valley and claymation. As a result, I avoid games that try realism and fail. My particular uncanny valley is so large and vast, that nearly all 3d 'realistic' games fit in it. It can be triggered at anytime by Clipping, misplaced assets, or unnatural movement.

There have been a handful of games in the last 10 years that have jumped over the valley, but most fall right in with The Polar Express, and those commercials of cinnamon toast crunch that eat each other. I don't have any issues with 2d games or models.

Dec 6, 2017
US
RDR2 is the first time a game's review scores have actually actively annoyed me. I intellectually understand that reviews are 'just like opinions man' and that it's silly, yet in the scheme of video games, it really annoys me.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
I think games (MMOs and anything related) should get rid of monthly subscription models and rely on microtransactions and DLC for revenue.

In direct contrast, I think MMOs should reinforce the monthly subscription and completely do away with all elements of F2P.
My favourite MMOs were ruined upon introducing F2P. Monthly subscriptions (although costly) keep funding the devs and ensure that they can provide the best game possible.

I'd happily £40 for a game and then £5-10 a month to keep it going and guarantee constant quality additions.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
  • Last gen/Switch should be the stopping point for graphical fidelity on most A and AA games. Gameplay always comes first.
  • If you have an open world, you MUST utilize its systems in main story missions and allow for improvisation. *cough*Rockstar*cough*

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I think retro purism is nit picky bs and I can't stand the mindset. For example, if there's a better version of a game available, I cannot abide the mentality of preferring to play on original hardware.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
No matter how good Yakuza is it won't reach mainstream popularity until it starts having English dubs. Likewise I won't be playing it until it has one as well.
You do realize they went out of their way to get Hollywood talent for the first game and then nobody ended up caring, right?

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Oof. Go play the, um, questionable English dub for the original PS2 release and then get back to me on that, bub.

Get out of here you monster.
nah I saw the yakuza ps2 gameplay, no thanks
You do realize they went out of their way to get Hollywood talent for the first game and then nobody ended up caring, right?

Just because they screwed up 13 years ago doesn't mean they should never try again. The quality of performances in video games have gone way up. Look at Sleeping Dogs for example. They could have the option to have subs for the purists out there. Adding more options isn't going to hurt anyone.

Sega is just too cheap to do it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just because they screwed up 13 years ago doesn't mean they should never try again. The quality of performances in video games have gone way up. Look at Sleeping Dogs for example. They could have the option to have subs for the purists out there. Adding more options isn't going to hurt anyone.

Its less about them being "too cheap" and more to do with the fact that SEGA finally figured out the thing that people like about the Yakuza games is that they are a very authentic reflection of Japan. People come to it because they want a Japanese crime drama. I feel like english dubs undercut that experience.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Its less about them being "too cheap" and more to do with the fact that SEGA finally figured out the thing that people like about the Yakuza games is that they are a very authentic reflection of Japan. People come to it because they want a Japanese crime drama. I feel like english dubs undercut that experience.

Then feel free to continue to use the subs. But people also love Persona for the portrayal of day to day life in high school in Japan and use dubs. Sleeping Dogs like I previously mentioned was praised for the look and feel of Japan and I don't remember any reviewers complaining that an English dub undercut that.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
It's apparently unreasonable to some people on the site, but I do not think games are art.

On topic: open world games, with very few exceptions, are shit and I cannot wait for the genre to die.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Video game message boards are largely irrelevant and big companies are right to mostly ignore them.

Deleted member 26900

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Edit: Whoops. Looks like my opinion may be breaking the thread rule. So I'll just post the one opinion I have below.

Zombie games are fucking boring and I wish developers would stop making them.

Last edited:

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Then feel free to continue to use the subs. But people also love Persona for the portrayal of day to day life in high school in Japan and use dubs. Sleeping Dogs like I previously mentioned was praised for the look and feel of Japan and I don't remember any reviewers complaining that an English dub undercut that.

Sleeping Dogs is set in Hong Kong, which is very different than Japan, being a previous English colony.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Fire emblem is extremely boring to me. Most "anime" style games not interesting to me at all. I just think anime for the most part in general isn't appealing.

Deleted member 26900

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure if this is unreasonable per se but it'll certainly be unpopular around here:

I think single-player games are inherently a worse value than multiplayer-focused games, and should be priced accordingly. I don't think there's a single player game released this gen that I feel is truly worth more than US$20, but I would easily have paid US$200 for Destiny and felt like I got my money's worth.

I agree with this to a point. Games like Red Dead Redemption 2, I feel are justified at the price point, but games like Tetris Effect (which was cheaper than normal game, but still expensive in my view) is priced very oddly. Hell even Spiderman I felt was priced too high.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Blood Omen 2 was the best game in the LoK franchise. Its industrial yet beautifully dark levels put the muddy and unenjoyable atmosphere in Soul Reaver games to shame. The game mechanics are simple and fun at the same time. Kain alone was more interesting in that game than all protagonists I've played during the last 5 years of playing video games. While the Soul Reaver franchise was still exceptional, it'll never come close to one of the masterpieces of the PS2 era: Blood. Omen. 2!

D-Volt

Jan 31, 2018

Give unreasonable opinion, get unreasonable responses. I'm shocked, really.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sleeping Dogs made the wrong decision with that IMO. The Chinese should have spoken Chinese all the time instead of just while cursing. I'm tired of media that has all these foreign countries speaking English so we can understand, nothing worse than an Asian born-and-raised person sounding like they're from America.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
I have nothing personal to contribute to this thread, as I am always reasonable about all things.

However, there is a kind of unreasonable trend in the greater gaming community that fits this thread perfectly:

People are using EA's Origin store. This is an obviously unreasonable thing to do. Origin Systems were perhaps the most influential of all development studios ever, just with the Ultima series alone. Electronic Arts, may their name be forever cursed, ran them into the ground and harvested even the studio name for their online store. Any right thinking person would surely refuse to use the Origin store until EA changed the name of their online store service, sent a personalized letter of apology to every gamer for what they've done, and had the CEO honorably sacrifice himself in penitence for what he has allowed to transpire. And yet there are people buying things from the Origin store. I just don't understand why anyone would choose to carry on behaving in this strange way.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Sleeping Dogs made the wrong decision with that IMO. The Chinese should have spoken Chinese all the time instead of just while cursing. I'm tired of media that has all these foreign countries speaking English so we can understand, nothing worse than an Asian born-and-raised person sounding like they're from America.

So very Assassin's Creed game should only have the option to listen in the language that the game is set in?

Why can't we have the option to listen to whatever language we want?

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
Zeus would have made a better the main character in God Of War.

There, glad it's out my of system.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
FFXV was an awful, boring video game that is the epitome of every trend out there done poorly. The characters are horribly written and just flat out unlikeable.

Fire Emblem Fates was awful and failed to present compelling gameplay or characters. I'd rather Fire Emblem completely die than anything like Fates be published again.

I love JRPGs but I won't ever play Chrono Trigger simply due to the art style.

Ooof, I'm the opposite. I think any MMO that wants to be something other than a mindless grindfest should go to the monthly sub model.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I buy games I'm not sure I'll like solely because I want to encourage more of that type of game on my platforms of choice. For example, I'll probably get Kingdom Hearts 3 on Xbox One because I'd like to see JRPGs on the system, and I got Wolfenstein on Switch to show appreciation to Bethesda for their support of the Switch.

I bought Celeste on both platforms.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
If ubisoft, activision and EA are destroyed nothing of value will be lost. Sorry Blizzard but you had to know better.

(Also wanted Splinter cell...ok a little will be lost)

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I think that when student athletes give consent to be used in marketing for their schools, this should apply to video games based on college sports like NCAA Football, with an opt out system.

Nov 3, 2017
I think I lied and I already felt that way with BotW but to a much, much lesser degree. Maybe that's why RDR2 seems like the first, true GTFO moment as critical reception response for me.

I'm so thankful I know someone who agrees with me who's a friend so I can just shit on it and not feel like an asshole but it's like COME ON WHAT WERE THESE GUYS PLAYING

I'm not sure if I'm more mad at the score or more upset at myself for not feeling the same

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a firm stance against paid online. Other than that, you can say I'm quite flexible. I embrace all games from all genres on all platforms with all monetization models.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
I won't try jrpgs. I don't care how well crafted they are I've convinced myself that they are weeb bullshit and I won't ever play one. I even realize that there are some that would probably be pretty fun to try but at this point I've bought in to my stance and it's not gonna change.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if this is unreasonable per se but it'll certainly be unpopular around here:

I think single-player games are inherently a worse value than multiplayer-focused games, and should be priced accordingly. I don't think there's a single player game released this gen that I feel is truly worth more than US$20, but I would easily have paid US$200 for Destiny and felt like I got my money's worth.
I struggle to see how the maths of this works out. I've spent over 150 hours on Zelda: BotW and The Witcher 3 separately (and probably the same on RDR2), still seeing consistently unique and mind-blowing content right up to the last minute - but I've never sunk more than 10 or 15 hours into a multiplayer-focused game (except SOCOM and Counter Strike 1.6 which I cut my teeth on as a teen). How is that not good value?

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
FFXV was an awful, boring video game that is the epitome of every trend out there done poorly. The characters are horribly written and just flat out unlikeable.

That's not unreasonable, that's just the truth.

As for me I don't think RDR2 is good. The core management, slow movement, etc all became grating to me and got in the way of the game. And I really don't think it's necessary considering the prior game was great without all that BS.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
I hate myself for this, but RPGs that have a first person view in combat instead of party sprites/models are games I tend to avoid a lot. It's really dumb of me.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'm so thankful I know someone who agrees with me who's a friend so I can just shit on it and not feel like an asshole but it's like COME ON WHAT WERE THESE GUYS PLAYING

I'm not sure if I'm more mad at the score or more upset at myself for not feeling the same

I gladly have two friends at my martial arts academy that were also fucking annoyed by the deluge of absurdly high scores for RDR2 after really sinking time into it. We've gone on several bashing tirades against it together, feels good!

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Heh this is highly subjective. A multiplayer only game has no value whatsoever for me. Literally zero.

I guess my unreasonable stance goes contrary to this. I wish pubs stopped shoving multiplayer into everything.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I don't care AT ALL about frame rates or resolution.
Someone from Digital Foundry after reading this:
362fa8bc-43d6-4f41-9fivf8p.gif

Secretly many people wish they could be like you...