• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Ok so I have been a Resident Evil kick lately if you didn't already guess from my earlier thread and well, I am now replaying the game which changed the series as we know it RE4 and I feel like discussing the loadout. So here we have the obligatory attache picture of my loadout.

PE4TmlR.jpg

Here we go.

Pistols

For me there can be only one choice here and that is the Red9, the power and accuracy of thing when the stock is installed top everything. I'll take that anyday over increased rate of fire, higher critical chances or insanely huge magazines. I like to take my time line up each shot and make them count.

Rifles

Bolt Action Rifle. The bolt action rifle cycling animations rules and so does the reload animation I never get tired of it, it is still my favourite reload animation to this day. That and the power of this weapon makes it my choice every time.

Magums

Broken Butterly. The whole point of a magnum is firepower so I will take this over the Killer7 every damn day. The handcannon is almost unusable because ammo is so rare for it until you upgrade it, even then it has massive recoil, so if you miss it can take a while before you can line up a second, which leaves the Broken Butterfly as the natural choice.

Shotguns

Riot Gun. This one is a personal choice, in practical terms the Striker is better, but I just prefer the look and feel of the Riot Gun.

Special weapons

Chicago Typerwriter. The infinite launcher is more powerful but because of the recoil and having to line up a shot with the scope it is awkward, it's also by far one of the easiest way to get Leon and or Ashley killed due to the splash if the enemy or walls are too close when firing. The Chicago Typewriter can easily cut a large crowd or a boss down to size in seconds and is far more controllable.

Regarding the TMP, I hate this weapon and regard it as a waste of inventory space, so far I have never needed to use it in the main campaign, even on a fresh run with just the default weapons and I plan on keeping it that way. The only time I use the TMP is when playing the mercenaries or Ada's gameplay and I have no other choice.

I also ignore the mine thrower as well.

Right, ERA, your turn, get in here and post your loadouts.

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Ok so I have been a Resident Evil kick lately if you didn't already guess from my earlier thread and well, I am now replaying the game which changed the series as we know it RE4 and I feel like discussing the loadout. So here we have the obligatory attache picture of my loadout.

PE4TmlR.jpg

Here we go.

Pistols

For me there can be only one choice here and that is the Red9, the power and accuracy of thing when the stock is installed top everything. I'll take that anyday over increased rate of fire, higher critical chances or insanely huge magazines. I like to take my time line up each shot and make them count.

Rifles

Bolt Action Rifle. The bolt action rifle cycling animations rules and so does the reload animation I never get tired of it, it is still my favourite reload animation to this day. That and the power of this weapon makes it my choice every time.

Magums

Broken Butterly. The whole point of a magnum is firepower so I will take this over the Killer7 every damn day. The handcannon is almost unusable because ammo is so rare for it until you upgrade it, even then it has massive recoil, so if you miss it can take a while before you can line up a second, which leaves the Broken Butterfly as the natural choice.

Shotguns

Riot Gun. This one is a personal choice, in practical terms the Striker is better, but I just prefer the look and feel of the Riot Gun.

Special weapons

Chicago Typerwriter. The infinite launcher is more powerful but because of the recoil and having to line up a shot with the scope it is awkward, it's also by far one of the easiest way to get Leon and or Ashley killed due to the splash if the enemy or walls are too close when firing. The Chicago Typewriter can easily cut a large crowd or a boss down to size in seconds and is far more controllable.

Regarding the TMP, I hate this weapon and regard it as a waste of inventory space, so far I have needed to use it in the main campaign, even on a fresh run with just the default weapons and I plan on keeping it that way. The only time I use the TMP is when playing the mercenaries or Ada's gameplay and I have no other choice.

I also ignore the mine thrower as well.

Right, ERA, your turn, get in here and post your loadouts.
active RE4 thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/resident-evil-0-1-4-switch-ot-ah-ill-buy-it-at-a-high-price.117773/

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
-Punisher (blue medallion reward), then Red9 when available
-Stock shotgun all the way until Striker
-TMP
-Bolt-Action Rifle. Accept no substitutes.
-Broken Butterfly from the storage room (but I usually sell it after using whatever ammo I have)

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
My fanboy ass contractually obligates me to carry the Killer7 with me

Red9 is a staple, Mine Thrower is a staple too I love that weapon

the rest I don't need, I usually buy a shotgun but don't care too much about the rifle or smg

But I mix it up every playthrough anyway so it doesn't feel boring

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Red9 w/stock
Striker
TMP w/stock
Semi Auto Rifle w/IR Scope
Broken Butterfly

I generally have enough to get all the regular upgrades for them as well as a few special upgrades as I don't buy anything else and I don't upgrade the starting pistol, punisher, or the free shotgun. I also sell the free rocket launcher.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
My fanboy ass contractually obligates me to carry the Killer7 with me

Red9 is a staple, Mine Thrower is a staple too I love that weapon

the rest I don't need, I usually buy a shotgun but don't care too much about the rifle or smg

But I mix it up every playthrough anyway so it doesn't feel boring

Killer7 fanboyism or Terminator? I know the design of the gun is an homage to the AMT Hardballer Longslide with laser sighting used in The Terminator.

Oct 25, 2017
Red9 no stock

Bolt Action + scope

regular shotgun then striker simply for its capacity

Broken butterfly because it's free(?)

I don't mess with mines or TMP. One shot, one kill (or as close to that as I can get) is how I want to play.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I swtich things up sometimes, but Red9+Stock/TMP/Broken butterfly is always awesome. I generally go for Striker and Semi Auto Rifle, but those don't matter as much.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Blacktail/TMP/Striker/BB/semiauto.

Red9 is obviously 100% superior on the (casual headshot treadmill) Wii version, but I think with analog stick control it's about 50/50 with the faster handling Blacktail (I can pull off some enemy-stun crowd control WIZARDRY with that thing).

TMP is an underrated gun - it starts off kinda shitty and not great for anything but setting up kicks, but later in the game melee becomes more viable *and* the TMP probably ramps up in the upgrades better than any other gun in the game.

As for rifles, sure the bolt-action one looks cool and does higher damage per hit, but IMO not leaving the scope between shots is tactically significant enough to make the semiauto rifle the superior choice.

Obviously Broken Butterfly outclasses the Killer7 on nearly all fronts.

I think that (outside of Blacktail vs Red9), the main *interesting* debate here is between the Riot Gun (super-fast handling, tight firing cone for lots of headshots, great at-a-distance damage that equals the regular Shotgun's "exclusive upgrade" damage numbers) and the Striker (takes up less space, does huge chunky damage, never reload, fires widely enough that it's great at saving your ass when you get surrounded). I wanna argue that the Riot Gun is a better choice for expert stop-n-pop players, but that the Striker has a real value for aggressive play if you want to just run up into a crowd and blast them all instead of picking them off before they get close to you.

Also - don't sleep on the mine launcher once it gets its homing upgrade, it's hilarious for fucking around in new game plus.

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
TMP with stock and damage/ capacity upgrades
Bolt Action Rifle
Red9 and Stock.
Striker.

Only downside is these best weapons make the game way too easy sometimes lol.
Man i FUCKING LOVE this game. I want to buy a used Wii to just replay this with motion controls.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I think that (outside of Blacktail vs Red9), the main *interesting* debate here is between the Riot Gun (super-fast handling, tight firing cone for lots of headshots, great at-a-distance damage that equals the regular Shotgun's "exclusive upgrade" damage numbers) and the Striker (takes up less space, does huge chunky damage, never reload, fires widely enough that it's great at saving your ass when you get surrounded). I wanna argue that the Riot Gun is a better choice for expert stop-n-pop players, but that the Striker has a real value for aggressive play if you want to just run up into a crowd and blast them all instead of picking them off before they get close to you.
The Striker also gives you a ton of free ammo when you get the final upgrade, which is very helpful when you're playing well and the game starts being stingy.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
The Striker also gives you a ton of free ammo when you get the final upgrade, which is very helpful when you're playing well and the game starts being stingy.

Yes, I always found that odd, upgrade the magazine capacity and automatically get the free ammo to start with a full mag.

Also, Revolver do not work this way! Unlike magazine fed weapons you cannot increase their ammo capacity because that is physically impossible.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I almost 100% agree with you, even taking the bolt sniper literally for the reload.

but

The TMP is godlike. It's incredibly efficient to set up stuns with a huge ammo pool, and is usually really good on bosses. Downing gigante, dumping bullets into the parasite feels 2good. You can literally just use one bullet for staggers and kick crowds away.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
I almost 100% agree with you, even taking the bolt sniper literally for the reload.

but

The TMP is godlike. It's incredibly efficient to set up stuns with a huge ammo pool, and is usually really good on bosses. Downing gigante, dumping bullets into the parasite feels 2good. You can literally just use one bullet for staggers and kick crowds away.

It's not just the reload, maxed out the the Bolt Action Rifle can one shot a lot of the tougher enemies.

I have heard the arguments for the TMP before, but I still hate it, sorry.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
254700-screenshots-20190521144225-1.jpg

Red9 because if you need speed you have a TMP.
TMP because it's savage.
SAR because it's cool.
Striker because it can stagger everything on screen.
Killer7 because it's a cheap way to get 25-35 dmg per shot.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That feel of blowing through Striker ammo after the final upgrade, reloading and then having so many slots freed up lol

TMP is for the early game ammo savings, one bullet into melee/knife loop. Then it becomes a total boss shredder once upgraded.

Makoto Yuki

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
If we are talking without secret weapons I always roll with Red9, Stryker, Broken Butterfly, and Semi-auto Rifle.

When it's secret weapons, Chicago Typewriter, Infinite Rocket Launcher, and Handcannon.

The PLR is cool and all, but I don't like how it kills random cows and what not.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
How does everybody have so much ammo in this game? I played the game for the first time a couple of months ago on normal and there were times were I was out of ammo and had to buy it. Am I missing something?

Oct 26, 2017
The PLR is cool and all, but I don't like how it kills random cows and what not.

I tried a run with that and nothing else once, not sure why, it was so boring

How does everybody have so much ammo in this game? I played the game for the first time a couple of months ago on normal and there were times were I was out of ammo and had to buy it. Am I missing something?

It's all about stunning them and finishing them with melee attacks

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off

You can't buy ammo in RE4, it can only be found in game.

Go for stun and kick/suplex combos wherever possible, shoot either the knee or the face. Also get confident in using the knife, when you knock an enemy down, if you're not surrounded by other enemies run up and slash them before they can stand up.

That plus the right upgrades and you will never have to worry about running out of ammo.

Donsonite

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm surprised how many people use the standard rifle over the semi-auto, I'll have to try taking the standard rifle all the way to the end. Semi-auto feels so strong to me, can just mow down enemies if needed (good for the part where you have to protect Ashley while she raises the bridge and also against Regenerador and Iron Maiden). It seems like it kills nearly everything in one headshot anyway, so what's the upside to the standard rifle? Cool factor perhaps. That is what convinced me to take the standard shotgun through the whole game once, it might be the weakest shotgun but it's damn cool nonetheless.

My usual loadout is very standard, red9 with stock, semi-auto rifle, striker, broken butterfly. Oh, and often the TMP, that thing is amazing for stunning enemies. I should try to mix it up a bit.

Last edited:

Makoto Yuki

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I tried a run with that and nothing else once, not sure why, it was so boring

It's all about stunning them and finishing them with melee attacks

I hear ya, another reason why I didn't like it. Too over powered. At least you have to aim the rest of the super weapons. If I recall correctly, the original PS2 version was kinda crappy. It shot one straight line. Everything after that becomes the stupid OP version.

At least you had to aim the PS2 PLR lol. It's cool having it as an infinite stun grenade of sorts when your'e not fully charging it.

Oct 26, 2017
I hear ya, another reason why I didn't like it. Too over powered. At least you have to aim the rest of the super weapons. If I recall correctly, the original PS2 version was kinda crappy. It shot one straight line. Everything after that becomes the stupid OP version.

At least you had to aim the PS2 PLR lol. It's cool having it as an infinite stun grenade of sorts when your'e not fully charging it.
Huh, I wonder why they changed it

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
TMP with stock.

Red 9 with stock.

A shotgun of some sort. I like 'em all so I switch (heh) per play through.

Broken Butterfly.

Semi-automatic rifle, with its X-ray scope getting me through the scariest part of the game lol.

Then I sell all my weapons on a second run to afford the infinite rocket launcher and go nuts.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
You can't buy ammo in RE4, it can only be found in game.

Go for stun and kick/suplex combos wherever possible, shoot either the knee or the face. Also get confident in using the knife, when you knock an enemy down, if you're not surrounded by other enemies run up and slash them before they can stand up.

That plus the right upgrades and you will never have to worry about running out of ammo.
I would upgrade the weapons so that I would get a full clip lol. I will try the game on hard and use the things you said.