• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
tabris

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
If you're ever looking to upgrade later on to something that still matches your minimalist aesthetic while offering fuller sound, check out some of Braun's stuff. Here are examples of their recent wireless range:

braun-speaker-lineup_3-100826808-large.jpg

braun-speaker-lifestyle.jpg

These look amazing. Like really amazing, exactly my taste. Good recommendation!

Honestly my issue with speaker systems is the receivers. Either they don't handle ARC amazing (I would get sound delay/lag) or get outdated really quickly on the latest technologies the TV's are doing (like HDMI 2.1). Receivers always lag technology wise. You may need to hook it up to optical, and then you gotta handle turning on both or having some Harmony controller thing to manage.

I'm just done that hassle. I used to have really nice 5.1 Harmon Kardon with a Denon receiver. But would often have to upgrade due to some new HDMI spec. When eARC works smoothly with these TVs, then maybe I'll switch. But for now, happy with this soundbar + TV combo as LG seems to have the eARC problem / syncing solved with the 2021 combo.

Here's an old setup where I had all that:

dUV8e5Z.jpg

dVdvGn7.jpg

It is one thing to support AirPlay (2), but another to actually support it well.

Yeah to be fair I haven't tested it. And probably won't end up using it. I got a HomePod in the kitchen and another in the bathroom. Both my TVs are connected to Apple TV's so I don't need to airplay when I can just play from . And I control what the Apple TV's play via the HomePods that are listening for me to say something like "Play music I would like in the living room".

I'm sure you can also see the irony in someone saying: "the speakers on my LG TV are disappointing, I'd better buy another LG speaker to replace it."

No I meant something physically wrong with them - like manufacturing defect. My screen is absolutely perfect though with no dead pixels, etc - so I didn't want to bother with taking it back / going through a return process. I also bought it online so the exchange process is annoying.

It's not really the same as Sonos where you can add a pair of more substantial subwoofers, have different options for upgrades (ikea symfonisk, sonos ones/fives), and the speakers can act independently - though the latter probably doesn't mean much to you when you have HomePods elsewhere.

Yeah you don't have the configuration options like you have with Sonos, true.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, it's such a pain in the ass having to deal with the audio lag especially if you want Atmos. I'm ok with it for movies and most games but when I play something competitive I switch to headphones because the footsteps need to be heard more soon. eArc doesn't do what it needs to be doing with LG tvs.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
No I meant something physically wrong with them - like manufacturing defect. My screen is absolutely perfect though with no dead pixels, etc - so I didn't want to bother with taking it back / going through a return process. I also bought it online so the exchange process is annoying.
Oh, that sucks; but I understand.
Considering that every device has a screen lottery these days, I'd certainly want to keep a good panel over the hassle of replacing it for an issue with the speakers.
I was dreading the arrival of my 48C1 because I hate having to deal with returns like that.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recently picked up an LG CX myself and have been looking into some form of external audio setup. I actually think that the TV speakers are surprisingly good but obviously cannot beat out a soundbar or speakers.

My biggest concern is a soundbar blocking off the TV as I haven't mounted mine.

This is a big issue for me atm. I need to find a good soundbar / sound system that is not blocking my view on the LG CX. Right now i have the Bose TV Speaker soundbar but i'm having some vibrations / noisy sounds during some action scenes in movies.

OP
OP
tabris

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, that sucks; but I understand.
Considering that every device has a screen lottery these days, I'd certainly want to keep a good panel over the hassle of replacing it for an issue with the speakers.
I was dreading the arrival of my 48C1 because I hate having to deal with returns like that.

Actually, I don't know if fully it's a manufacturing problem. It just sounded "Tinny" a bit. It didn't sound awful but didn't sound great. And why I think it was a defect, is because setting the CX to the same settings and same setup - it sounded better (still not close to the soundbar set up I got now).

This is a big issue for me atm. I need to find a good soundbar / sound system that is not blocking my view on the LG CX. Right now i have the Bose TV Speaker soundbar but i'm having some vibrations / noisy sounds during some action scenes in movies.

Well the LG soundbars fit perfectly to the CX and C1 stands where they sit in the front. I think the Sonos one clears it too.

Arzak

Jun 21, 2019

Honestly my issue with speaker systems is the receivers. Either they don't handle ARC amazing (I would get sound delay/lag) or get outdated really quickly on the latest technologies the TV's are doing (like HDMI 2.1). Receivers always lag technology wise. You may need to hook it up to optical, and then you gotta handle turning on both or having some Harmony controller thing to manage.

I'm just done that hassle. I used to have really nice 5.1 Harmon Kardon with a Denon receiver. But would often have to upgrade due to some new HDMI spec. When eARC works smoothly with these TVs, then maybe I'll switch. But for now, happy with this soundbar + TV combo as LG seems to have the eARC problem / syncing solved with the 2021 combo.

dUV8e5Z.jpg

dVdvGn7.jpg

Yeah to be fair I haven't tested it. And probably won't end up using it. I got a HomePod in the kitchen and another in the bathroom. Both my TVs are connected to Apple TV's so I don't need to airplay when I can just play from . And I control what the Apple TV's play via the HomePods that are listening for me to say something like "Play music I would like in the living room".

Dang you used to be right next to me. I should post my setup soon...

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The LG soundbar looks great! Matches really well with your setup!

I agree about trying to keep everything within the same brand/ecosystem. Better integration plus I think it just looks better instead of mixing and matching different brands.

I recently picked up an LG CX myself and have been looking into some form of external audio setup. I actually think that the TV speakers are surprisingly good but obviously cannot beat out a soundbar or speakers.

My biggest concern is a soundbar blocking off the TV as I haven't mounted mine.

I have ordered some speakers and stands so might update photos in a few days once I have it setup.

Something like this could work depending on whether u dig the stand or not. I was thinking about doing this but I decided to wait atm, because I have my tv stand pretty low so only part of it gets cropped from my vision. When I get a better stand I'll definitely be elevating the tv with something. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B087BW97NJ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_S6WAPS2JDBNN1DWES38D

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Love that you did some custom shelving. It looks very clean and well done. Also major props for getting your PS5 to fit in it so neatly, that's something most of us wish we could pull off

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

dUV8e5Z.jpg

dVdvGn7.jpg

Makes sense. I really want some of the old sound equipment they used to make. It's a bit of a fetish of mine. None of these are my pics, but I just feel like sharing the direction that I may take my setup some day:

braun_audio1.jpg

Braun-x-Virgil-Abloh-2021-Wandanlage-Hi-Fi-Audio-System.jpg

f6c8374c8eab564dc09a1c157c1ac0d3.jpg

Radio02.jpg

The last one is a holy grail sort of item.

Trojan

Oct 27, 2017
What do you think of those PC speakers in your first photo? I've looked at those and almost gotten them a few times.

Theyre a great value ($25 I think) - they're not going to knock your socks off but they look nice and are compact and have good sound for the price. I usually use headphones so didn't want to overspend on speakers.

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
rw69ide.jpg

qBGxIFe.jpg

Here it is. I tried to hide my gamer grime with the dark lighting :)

Most of the setups here are crazy and have way more thought and effort put in to them then I'd ever put forward lol.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. I really want some of the old sound equipment they used to make. It's a bit of a fetish of mine. None of these are my pics, but I just feel like sharing the direction that I may take my setup some day:

braun_audio1.jpg

Braun-x-Virgil-Abloh-2021-Wandanlage-Hi-Fi-Audio-System.jpg

f6c8374c8eab564dc09a1c157c1ac0d3.jpg

Radio02.jpg

The last one is a holy grail sort of item.

That first one looks fantastic (they all look incredible in some way)- I assume all of these things are stupid expensive? What's even happening in that second shot?

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That first one looks fantastic (they all look incredible in some way)- I assume all of these things are stupid expensive? What's even happening in that second shot?
The second shot is wall mounted. Speakers plus tape player plus radio on the top row. Vitsoe wall mounted shelving holding a record player below.

All of the objects, including the shelving are sold separately, (and the shelves aren't even sold by the same company as the electronics) but all designed by one guy: Dieter Rams.

Here's a similar setup from his actual home:

images

I think he designed the lamp and table too.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
The second shot is wall mounted. Speakers plus tape player plus radio on the top row. Vitsoe wall mounted shelving holding a record player below.

All of the objects, including the shelving are sold separately, (and the shelves aren't even sold by the same company as the electronics) but all designed by one guy: Dieter Rams.

Here's a similar setup from his actual home:

images

I think he designed the lamp and table too.

Looks very neat. The tape player threw me, because I didn't realize anyone was still doing anything involving tape and audio. Had seen Vitsoe shelving in this thread before (possibly from you?) and was impressed with that as well. Feels like it was something you'd need to import outside of Europe, but might be misremembering that as well.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks very neat. The tape player threw me, because I didn't realize anyone was still doing anything involving tape and audio. Had seen Vitsoe shelving in this thread before (possibly from you?) and was impressed with that as well. Feels like it was something you'd need to import outside of Europe, but might be misremembering that as well.
Correct. From me :-)

OP
OP
tabris

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I think you should hide the Apple TV and PS5 controllers in your family room, though. They look dinky on that big media center. What's the size of the TV? 65 or 77?

Are you just using TV audio?

Great idea. Hiding the Apple TV and PS5 controller charger definitely makes it look better. It's inside the cabinet now.

O34fGBm.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
First time posting. We were lucky enough to buy a house a few months ago and are just now getting things together.

The main gaming setup - only have a series X and ps5 connected, though the retro consoles are beneath:

8ER59RE.jpg

The home office. I did get rid of my gaming PC but have since started building a miniITX to fit in nicely:

o5VQLlL.jpg
asIqidG.jpg

and bonus photos of these dorks:

PtFZwqw.jpg

OP
OP
tabris

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
The main gaming setup - only have a series X and ps5 connected, though the retro consoles are beneath:

8ER59RE.jpg

The home office. I did get rid of my gaming PC but have since started building a miniITX to fit in nicely:

o5VQLlL.jpg

This looks fantastic. Clean setup. Really great wire management. And I see those speakers all over the place, they look fantastic.

How did you get a white Xbox Series X? And only thing I don't like is the cow skin carpet.

Yeahhhh buddy! That looks utterly spectacular!

Thanks!

Oct 27, 2017
This looks fantastic. Clean setup. Really great wire management. And I see those speakers all over the place, they look fantastic.

How did you get a white Xbox Series X? And only thing I don't like is the cow skin carpet.

Thanks! Been loving your set-ups for a while :) I got the Xbox skin from DBrand - pretty easy to install and great quality.

I agree about the cow rug. I would have a very different style if I lived by myself, so this is the compromised version :P

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Here are pics of our media room where we play video games, watch movies, and where I paint miniatures. My kids have the side by side 54" with Xbox Ss, I have the 86" (VRR, USB 2.1) with the Series X, PS5 & a retropi with 25k games across 65+ systems, and my wife has the 75" with an Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4 w PSVR, WiiU, and a twin arcade stick with about 3k arcade games. I am getting longer wires for my wife's TV so that I can hide them better.

My miniature painting station has pretty much every item someone in this hobby could ever dream of, all within arms length. I often sit here with my headphones on listening to music while my daughters play games in front of me as I paint. I have 4 electrical outlets in the bar that run an airbrush, dremel, ipad, and charge various devices hidden from view. I have 2 chairs and 2 lamps because I have a friend that comes over that I am teaching to paint. Also, my youngest daughter is trying to learn how to paint as well and likes to sit next to me as I teach her.

The board game shelf shown is only one of two that I own. This one holds my miniature heavy games that I am often painting. The other shelf is in the hallway outside this room, is white, and is completely full of more family friendly and faster playing games. We have a dedicated board gaming rom upstairs that has a shelf of games we are currently playing or that are "on deck" to be played soon.

The pic of my games are right outside the media room under the stairs. I keep all my old stuff in there. The games are stacked in front of one another, so whatever you can see double it. I think I have around 600 physical games in there, mostly Xbox 360 and PS games. I have been digital only for about 4 years now.

In my office I have my gaming PC with a 42" TV above, a 34" ultrawide flanked by 2 vertical 24". To the extreme right is my 2 work monitors (I work from home). My wife has a similar setup on the opposite side of the room but it is a mess and she has a lot of sensitive work stuff around. We also have a corner desk and a huge overstuffed chair in here. The office looks more like a rec room really. Very homey and comfortable.

Not pictured:

We have a 65" in our master bedroom that has a Switch hooked up to it. TV has a soundbar + subwoofer. We have a king sized adjustable bed in there so this is a really nice sanctuary to get away from everyone. There is an 8 person hot tub on the deck outside our bedroom.

We have a 75" in our living room over the fireplace that has a 360 and a modded Wii hooked up to it. TV has a soundbar + subwoofer.

j2KEYco.jpg

zS8JZht.jpg

zqtX0KS.jpg

1QZkphN.jpg

9n16k9k.jpg

QmOQqbf.jpg
GWvO53j.jpg

CbxvQfr.jpg

0VQBQzN.jpg

94joGm2.jpg

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Here are pics of our media room where we play video games, watch movies, and where I paint miniatures. My kids have the side by side 54" with Xbox Ss, I have the 86" (VRR, USB 2.1) with the Series X, PS5 & a retropi with 25k games across 65+ systems, and my wife has the 75" with an Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4 w PSVR, WiiU, and a twin arcade stick with about 3k arcade games. I am getting longer wires for my wife's TV so that I can hide them better.

My miniature painting station has pretty much every item someone in this hobby could ever dream of, all within arms length. I often sit here with my headphones on listening to music while my daughters play games in front of me as I paint. I have 4 electrical outlets in the bar that run an airbrush, dremel, ipad, and charge various devices hidden from view. I have 2 chairs and 2 lamps because I have a friend that comes over that I am teaching to paint. Also, my youngest daughter is trying to learn how to paint as well and likes to sit next to me as I teach her.

The board game shelf shown is only one of two that I own. This one holds my miniature heavy games that I am often painting. The other shelf is in the hallway outside this room, is white, and is completely full of more family friendly and faster playing games. We have a dedicated board gaming rom upstairs that has a shelf of games we are currently playing or that are "on deck" to be played soon.

The pic of my games are right outside the media room under the stairs. I keep all my old stuff in there. The games are stacked in front of one another, so whatever you can see double it. I think I have around 600 physical games in there, mostly Xbox 360 and PS games. I have been digital only for about 4 years now.

In my office I have my gaming PC with a 42" TV above, a 34" ultrawide flanked by 2 vertical 24". To the extreme right is my 2 work monitors (I work from home). My wife has a similar setup on the opposite side of the room but it is a mess and she has a lot of sensitive work stuff around. We also have a corner desk and a huge overstuffed chair in here. The office looks more like a rec room really. Very homey and comfortable.

Not pictured:

We have a 65" in our master bedroom that has a Switch hooked up to it. TV has a soundbar + subwoofer. We have a king sized adjustable bed in there so this is a really nice sanctuary to get away from everyone. There is an 8 person hot tub on the deck outside our bedroom.

We have a 75" in our living room over the fireplace that has a 360 and a modded Wii hooked up to it. TV has a soundbar + subwoofer.

j2KEYco.jpg

zS8JZht.jpg

zqtX0KS.jpg

1QZkphN.jpg

9n16k9k.jpg

QmOQqbf.jpg
GWvO53j.jpg

CbxvQfr.jpg

0VQBQzN.jpg

94joGm2.jpg
Holy shit..
Are you looking to adopt a 33 year old man?

May 28, 2020

Not pictured:

j2KEYco.jpg

zS8JZht.jpg

zqtX0KS.jpg

1QZkphN.jpg

9n16k9k.jpg

QmOQqbf.jpg
GWvO53j.jpg

CbxvQfr.jpg

0VQBQzN.jpg

94joGm2.jpg
My kids saw this as I was scrolling through the pics and they're giving me the stink eye and want a similar setup LOL Very nice setup

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
My kids saw this as I was scrolling through the pics and they're giving me the stink eye and want a similar setup LOL Very nice setup

That setup wasn't too expensive at all. The xboxes were $200 each and the TCLs were $300ish. The tv & controller mounts were given to me by a friend, but I bet all that together cost was around $1100 total. We were going to get them laptops for xmas, so this setup saved me some serious cash. I will never forget the look on my kids faces when they first saw the setup. It was amazing! The room is the primary hangout whenever a bunch of teens get together. Four kids playing Fortnite together in the same room is a sight to behold. The room never fails to impress!

Also, that entire couch is modular and can be combined to be larger than a king sized bed. My daughters just had a sleepover and 7 teens slept on it together no problem. During the sleepover, 2 kids played video games on the side by side and the rest watched horror movies all night long on the big TV. They even broke out the psvr for awhile. I am super happy how everything came together And how much entertainment is packed into that space.

Oct 26, 2017

Not pictured:

Wow! Incredible setup!

May 28, 2020
That setup wasn't too expensive at all. The xboxes were $200 each and the TCLs were $300ish. The tv & controller mounts were given to me by a friend, but I bet all that together cost was around $1100 total. We were going to get them laptops for xmas, so this setup saved me some serious cash. I will never forget the look on my kids faces when they first saw the setup. It was amazing! The room is the primary hangout whenever a bunch of teens get together. Four kids playing Fortnite together in the same room is a sight to behold. The room never fails to impress!

Also, that entire couch is modular and can be combined to be larger than a king sized bed. My daughters just had a sleepover and 7 teens slept on it together no problem. During the sleepover, 2 kids played video games on the side by side and the rest watched horror movies all night long on the big TV. They even broke out the psvr for awhile. I am super happy how everything came together And how much entertainment is packed into that space.
That's awesome. I have multiple setups around the entire house but this makes me want to convert my basement into something similar. Very cool setup you got going on

Major Byson

May 18, 2018
Ma9YsCP.jpg

I had posted a while ago when I just moved into my new house but have purchased a couple of upgrades.

Since then I got a new job and decided to treat myself by getting an LG 55CX.

With that I was unsure about what to do with regards audio as I quite like the look of the LG oled stand and didn't want to block it with a soundbar.

I have added in a set of Kanto yu4s with stands to create a 2.1 setup to go along with the TV and they work perfectly. Especially given my space limitations.

This should hopefully be me set for the foreseeable future as I am really happy with how everything is right now!

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
My setup is in my bedroom and all with old furniture that was just laying around at my grandma's house. Not fancy, but it's comfy.

ssMKK9l.jpg

FdUK2QN.jpg

z2c3ocz.jpg

1m5B6S4.jpg

FHzMTDh.jpg

CamCIrv.jpg

LYOofVk.jpg

xdooypE.jpg

rIwvYXC.jpg

onvEnOM.jpg

fie0oIc.jpg

unNxnao.jpg

JC83Px6.jpg

KWTZv2k.jpg

P4xIq2n.jpg

6FkFyZZ.jpg

ecZUmj3.jpg

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BA8230-F6-FFC0-4761-89-C2-651505-E757-EE.jpg

Got my tv and soundbar mounted recently. Really tried to clean up and simplify my set up. I like the way it looks now.

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017

Boss basement. I love your mentality in making sure everything is being used and letting kids be kids with all that fun stuff. I hope to be a dad like that someday (my kids are only 2 and 0 years old)!

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
ZcvGNM.jpg

i think i'm just about done screwing around with my pc setup at least, now to focus on the rest of my space

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My setup is in my bedroom and all with old furniture that was just laying around at my grandma's house. Not fancy, but it's comfy.

ssMKK9l.jpg

FdUK2QN.jpg

z2c3ocz.jpg

1m5B6S4.jpg

FHzMTDh.jpg

CamCIrv.jpg

LYOofVk.jpg

xdooypE.jpg

rIwvYXC.jpg

onvEnOM.jpg

fie0oIc.jpg

unNxnao.jpg

JC83Px6.jpg

KWTZv2k.jpg

P4xIq2n.jpg

6FkFyZZ.jpg

ecZUmj3.jpg

Fantastic collection of retro games. Love to see so many original boxes for cart based games, especially for the NES/GB. Not a whole lot of people kept them.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Any of you guys with current and last gen Xbox & PlayStations have wireless headphones you use on PS4/PS5 and Xbox Series S/X?

I want some headphones for gaming but it's been a pain to research, I currently have a PS4 Pro and Series S so want some good quality headphones I can use on both systems, and I'll get a PS5 at some point so it would be cool if they work on that too

Any ideas?

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
the perfect case does exist

I wouldn't call it perfect, but it's extremely good at its price point. I used it in my newest build and it's been mostly great. The Sliger SM580 I used in my living room build has significantly better thermals and noise, but it's also a lot more expensive.

I need to take new pics of my setup... I just replaced the Ikea table tops I was using for our desks in the PC room with some Home Depot butcher blocks.

TKWarner

Feb 28, 2021
Any of you guys with current and last gen Xbox & PlayStations have wireless headphones you use on PS4/PS5 and Xbox Series S/X?

I want some headphones for gaming but it's been a pain to research, I currently have a PS4 Pro and Series S so want some good quality headphones I can use on both systems, and I'll get a PS5 at some point so it would be cool if they work on that too

Any ideas?

Try the SteelSeries Arctis 7x combined with the SteelSeries leather replacement earpads on the SteelSeries website. I own them and they work with both the current and last-gen Xbox and PlayStation. There is a toggle switch on the USB adapter to switch between the two platforms.

I mention the replacement earpads because the stock ones that came with the 7x were decidedly cheap and my ears touched the inside of the pads. SteelSeries offers better stock earpads on its own website that are cheap to purchase. I also added some lower bass and mid-bass in the SteelSeries companion software because the stock EQ for the 7x appears to be tuned for first person shooters and is a little light on the bass.

They sound fantastic when tuned correctly and I have no regrets in purchasing them. They are also pretty comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.