• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No worries - I'd recommend screwing the desk into the Kallax, it makes it super sturdy. I've not got a leg attached to it on the right hand side and it's rock solid

Finished the new setup inspired by yours.
Love the Kallax under the desk

E5frbfqWQAElQVp

Dec 14, 2017
tabris nice update on the setup(s). I'm wondering though what's that tall cylinder next to your desk? guessing it's some mood lighting thing, but not sure.

OP
OP
tabris

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if Tabris is rich, but Tabris definitely has good taste and keeps his area clean and minimal and I think that goes a long way in making his place look nice.

Also my comment isn't meant to be a diss or anything negative. I have a similar taste as tabris and admire how he did his setup. I loved to hoard things but as I grow older to realize it's hard to keep it all organized and displayed nice without my setup looking cluttered. It also gives me anxiety when working in a cluttered space so I did a lot of decluttering and tried to make my setup in a way where I don't see a lot of my stuff out in the open while still having it easily accessible.

Thanks for the nice comments :)

And yeah a decluttered life is a goal to work towards for sure. I find a bright clean place just puts me in a better mood.

tabris nice update on the setup(s). I'm wondering though what's that tall cylinder next to your desk? guessing it's some mood lighting thing, but not sure.

It's light out right now so I can't show it off well, but here's a stock photo and link to it:

elise60_80_2279-_72_download.JPG

Pablo

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
From what I recall, they have said that they use the fives for music and the beam for TV audio.
It seems like an unusual and expensive setup, but I suppose you have to make do with it if you want to stay in the Sonos ecosystem and are dissatisfied with using sound bars for music.

Sonos don't have a multichannel amplifier, and you can only pair two amps for 4 channel audio.
If Sonos were to produce something like a 9-channel AV receiver, I think that would open up the home theater enthusiast market for them.
Though I suppose the alternative might be to buy a Port and hook it up to your AVR of choice instead.
Thanks, Pargon.
I agree on the wasted potential of Sonos not broadening their portfolio, or connectivity.

Since I no longer run higher end full system discreets, I've been considering a *very* pared back multi-channel soundbar for media, alongside a dedicated higher end 2.0/2.1 for music.

Samsung's 950a excels at having a fuller Atmos immersion (relative to other soundbars), but falls short of Sonos on imaging/quality. Not loving B&O's or B&W's options, and Sennheiser Ambeo + sub might not be enough either.

An Arc with Fives as L/R front channels, sub(s) and surrounds would be great, but that's not currently configurable.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Big update. Still want to do some adjustments but here is my new setup for next couple of years. Taken from multiple angles:

Phenomenal. Truly. A killer setup, though I can't say I'm surprised.

I think you should hide the Apple TV and PS5 controllers in your family room, though. They look dinky on that big media center. What's the size of the TV? 65 or 77?

Are you just using TV audio?

In any case, heck of a place!

OP
OP
tabris

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Phenomenal. Truly. A killer setup, though I can't say I'm surprised.

I think you should hide the Apple TV and PS5 controllers in your family room, though. They look dinky on that big media center. What's the size of the TV? 65 or 77?

Thanks! To answer your questions, yeah, I am using TV audio. I had a soundbar (Sony HTZ9F) before but found too many issues with eARC (would have to restart both sometimes or would need to play with delays). So I've been waiting for a good soundbar with HDMI 2.1 passthrough and they are slowly coming out. I agree with you generally around hiding them until I have something like a soundbar to fill that area again - I'll try that this weekend. Both TVs are 65".

EDIT - With the new PS5 beta coming out, I'll probably wait even longer for a new soundbar as well since the PS5 3D audio will work with just TV speakers.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Big update. Still want to do some adjustments but here is my new setup for next couple of years. Taken from multiple angles:

My Living Room - PS5, Xbox Series X, Apple TV 4K, LG C1
Note: I can remove the reflections as the TV comes out and the electronic blinds easily go up and down

0bzAf6y.jpg

Ga1I6Bc.jpg

2TqAofA.jpg

uPcdZ3Y.jpg

My Office w/ Standing Desk - Apple MacBook Air M1, LG Ultrafine 5K, iPad Pro

jw4bfMl.jpg
9RQ4Fir.jpg

nU4rkHn.jpg

2IodgSf.jpg

My Bedroom - Apple TV 4K (Hidden), Switch (Hidden), LG CX

wfLN1o9.jpg

eyPZ7FZ.jpg

H9AFXbQ.jpg

SOxNGHl.jpg

The return of the GOAT setup since Chittagong seems relegated to the old place. How do you find build quality of Trump tower / 1151 West Georgia st?

Apart from addition to PS5 my setup is identical setup from last year. Finally decided to buy a place this year, thought we found really nice apartment in lower Lonsdale but were pipped last minute but hope to post set-up once we finalize purchase.

Last edited:

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
I don't know if Tabris is rich, but Tabris definitely has good taste and keeps his area clean and minimal and I think that goes a long way in making his place look nice.

Also my comment isn't meant to be a diss or anything negative. I have a similar taste as tabris and admire how he did his setup. I loved to hoard things but as I grow older to realize it's hard to keep it all organized and displayed nice without my setup looking cluttered. It also gives me anxiety when working in a cluttered space so I did a lot of decluttering and tried to make my setup in a way where I don't see a lot of my stuff out in the open while still having it easily accessible.
I got a 4x4 Kallax with various cupboard and drawer inserts last year and it's made a huge difference to the clutter that was on my gaming PC desk/TV unit/bedside table etc. Really helps with the minimalist look and makes dusting easier, which is why I'm now dusting regularly 🤣

OP
OP
tabris

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
The return of the GOAT setup since Chittagong seems relegated to the old place. How do you find build quality of Trump tower / 1151 West Georgia st?

Apart from addition to PS5 my setup is identical setup from last year. Finally decided to buy a place this year, thought we found really nice apartment in lower Lonsdale but were pipped last minute but hope to post set-up once we finalize purchase.

The build quality is incredible. Very happy. And yeah, no longer Trump branded at all. Strata dropped the name once the hotel part went bankrupt. It's now called 1151 Residences. So happy about that.

If you're looking for places, and concerned about build quality - avoid any made by Westbank Corp. Which is a lot of them. Good luck on your search!

Turrican2

Oct 28, 2017
Hamburg
Turrican2, how does this Sonos setup work? Do you effectively have two separate audio systems laid out in this image?

My understanding was that you couldn't truly pair dedicated front channels with any of Sonos' soundbars. You seem to have a Beam (?) flanked by two Fives.

IIRC, some owners have run two Fives paired to the soundbar as rear channels, and "trick" the setup by placing the Fives up front while playing stereo music in full mode. That still wouldn't get you dedicated multi-channel like separates, and wouldn't be suitable for movies, games and other media with a true discrete surround sound stage.

You are absolutely right you cannot pair dedicated front speakers to the beam.
The pair of Fives and and the Sub are for music, the beam is there to replace the TV speakers.
It is surprisingly potent in doing that but is of course no replacement for a dedicated surround system at all.
95% of the time I use my headset for gaming, the beam is just there for watching netflix shows.

ZeaG8e.jpg

From what I recall, they have said that they use the fives for music and the beam for TV audio.

Indeed ;)

Blablurn

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Have some work to do, but new apartment shots in Nashville. Need to work on cable management, hang pictures, and get the PS5 and PC off the floor!

Desk: LG 34" Ultrawide, Uplift V2 60x30, MBP 2018, Airpods Pro, Sonos Roam, Omni 20+, Steelcase Gesture, super old iPad (sidecar)

Den: LG C9 55" Sanus articulating wall mount, Apple TV 4K, Sonos ARC, 2x Sonos One SL, PS5, PC: 9900k/3080.

Bzqhk1e.jpg
What chair is this? oô

Midnight

Jan 5, 2018
Feels wrong to post in here without having my own to share, but many of your setups are GOALS.

I am so taking inspiration (and honestly just copy bits and pieces) from you all, for whenever I can build something I'm actually proud of.

Cool stuff all round!

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I bought my first place (a townhouse in a community near a golf course) recently, and I just finished getting all of the major stuff put in and set up. Figured I would share again.

For the primary work/gaming area, I turned the loft area just outside of my bedroom into an office/gaming area. I put some posters I had framed in an apartment I lived in a long time ago up (mostly to cover up some nail holes that I've filled but haven't touched up yet). However, I'm also looking for prints, artwork, etc. related to some of my favorite series (e.g. Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade) to put up on the walls instead of the Smash 4 posters I have (though I'm keeping the Bayo 2 poster up there), and to also fill up some of the remaining walls that currently feel a bit empty. If any of you have recommendations for good sources of that stuff, I'd love to hear them so I can slowly add some decor upstairs.

Here's the overall view once you come up the stairs:

a5XoQ0z.jpg

Sitting in the armchairs in front of the TV where my Switch and SNES Classic sit (I do need to work on cable management here, but I need to figure out how to approach it):

wE9lnkL.jpg

Couple of views of the desk where I work and play games on PC:

fhy99lG.jpg

f92y2lo.jpg

There's a small portable monitor under the monitor riser that I use for work since I need dual monitors in order to view spreadsheets and emails while I work on plans, and the portable monitor works best for that given the real estate I have available on my desk. If I need a second screen to look up stuff while I'm gaming or otherwise doing leisure stuff, I just use my iPad and will switch my keyboard over to it, and keep the portable monitor tucked under the desk when it's not in use.

Gaming PC: RTX 2070 Super, i7-10700k, 16GB RAM

Peripherals/other items: Logitech G502 mouse, Razer Tartarus keypad, Logitech K780 keyboard, iPad 6th gen, Steelseries Arctis 1 Wireless, Xbox Core Controller + PowerA Dual Charging Station, Audioengine A1 speakers

Bonus view of the living room:

vL3IaPX.jpg

I plan on replacing the TV in the living room fairly soon since it's an old, heavy flatscreen from 2011 that has some minor (but noticeable) damage on the screen when you turn it on, but I'll live with it for now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tabris

tabris

Oct 27, 2017

So in a good way you triggered me. I was like yeah, why am I just using TV audio? I hooked back up my Sony HTZ9F soundbar and realised this is considerably better but the eARC issues w/ LG C1 are annoying which is why I unhooked it. So I'm going to go out today and buy an LG SP8YA or SP9YA soundbar which is the 2021 model that works better with this TV.

It also has a decent wireless rear speaker option incase I do want to explore a surround option, but my place isn't conducive to surround sound.

I'll have a new picture or two at end of today once I've set up whichever of the two soundbars I'll be getting.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
So in a good way you triggered me. I was like yeah, why am I just using TV audio? I hooked back up my Sony HTZ9F soundbar and realised this is considerably better but the eARC issues w/ LG C1 are annoying which is why I unhooked it. So I'm going to go out today and buy an LG SP8YA or SP9YA soundbar which is the 2021 model that works better with this TV.

It also has a decent wireless rear speaker option incase I do want to explore a surround option, but my place isn't conducive to surround sound.
I'll have a new picture or two at end of today once I've set up whichever of the two soundbars I'll be getting.
I'm surprised you'd buy an LG sound bar rather than Sonos, which seems to be the high-end mainstream choice - particularly the Arc.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
Stand I'm using.

It's an industrial-strength shelving unit. I only built it to half the height and didn't bother with the final shelf on it, but it's the correct dimensions for my TV. The height is very comfortable from where I sit (about 6 feet away). You could always find a smaller unit to match your PVM. I doubled-up on the top shelf since MDF is not the strongest surface, and in the future I might get a thick piece of hardwood cut to the correct size. But the metal brackets throughout could easily support this TV a couple times over.
Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
tabris

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised you'd buy an LG sound bar rather than Sonos, which seems to be the high-end mainstream choice - particularly the Arc.

Well I'm all in on the Apple ecosystem so I got multiple HomePods over the house. So there goes 1 reason for having a Sonos system.

Next I rather something that just works more reliably from both a control and feature standpoint with my LG C1. The 2021 LG soundbars use the chips on the LG 2021 TVs to do a better job with sound. It's called TV Sound Mode Share feature on the new LG's:

AV-SoundBar-SP8YA-05-AI-Processor-Desktop.jpg

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm all in on the Apple ecosystem so I got multiple HomePods over the house. So there goes 1 reason for having a Sonos system.
Sonos integrates well with AirPlay setups in my experience.
I've had other AirPlay-compatible speakers that did not (the Bose Portable Smart Speaker, for example).

The "sound mode share" thing sounds like a gimmick.
If you're having to switch sound modes on your speakers often, depending on the type of content being played - those are bad speakers.

If you're more comfortable pairing an LG soundbar with an LG TV, by all means do, but eARC should work correctly regardless of the brand.

OP
OP
tabris

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
The "sound mode share" thing sounds like a gimmick.
If you're having to switch sound modes on your speakers often, depending on the type of content being played - those are bad speakers.

If you're more comfortable pairing an LG soundbar with an LG TV, by all means do, but eARC should work correctly regardless of the brand.

www.rtings.com

Sonos Arc Review

The Sonos Arc is the manufacturer's flagship soundbar released in 2020. It's a smart soundbar with built-in voice assistant capabilities designed for easy integr...

www.rtings.com

LG SP8YA Review

The LG SP8YA is a 3.1.2 setup from 2021. It's the next generation of the LG SN8YG, and it comes with more EQ presets and a 2021 LG TV AI Processor that's adverti...

Looks like RTINGS prefers the LG SP8YA over the Sonos Arc soundbar. But even if they were even, why wouldn't I want to go with same ecosystem then? I would understand if the Sonos Arc was destroying the new LG soundbar in reviews, but looks like the 2021 LG models are doing quite well.

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
You are absolutely right you cannot pair dedicated front speakers to the beam.
The pair of Fives and and the Sub are for music, the beam is there to replace the TV speakers.
It is surprisingly potent in doing that but is of course no replacement for a dedicated surround system at all.
95% of the time I use my headset for gaming, the beam is just there for watching netflix shows.

ZeaG8e.jpg
Thanks, and nice setups.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much me every time I see this thread lol.

BleakObedientBoilweevil-size_restricted.gif

Very good set ups guys.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Do soundbars really give good sound? Gotta be honest, I never heard one that I thought sounded good. But I haven't heard enough to make that much of an informed opinion about them.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
Do soundbars really give good sound? Gotta be honest, I never heard one that I thought sounded good. But I haven't heard enough to make that much of an informed opinion about them.

I think you are generally better off buying a two or three speakers and a cheap amp. Better bang for the buck audio. But some people don't have/want the space for speakers.

So if it's between a sound bar or tv audio I think you're 100% better off with the bar.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
www.rtings.com

Sonos Arc Review

The Sonos Arc is the manufacturer's flagship soundbar released in 2020. It's a smart soundbar with built-in voice assistant capabilities designed for easy integr...

www.rtings.com

LG SP8YA Review

The LG SP8YA is a 3.1.2 setup from 2021. It's the next generation of the LG SN8YG, and it comes with more EQ presets and a 2021 LG TV AI Processor that's adverti...

Looks like RTINGS prefers the LG SP8YA over the Sonos Arc soundbar. But even if they were even, why wouldn't I want to go with same ecosystem then? I would understand if the Sonos Arc was destroying the new LG soundbar in reviews, but looks like the 2021 LG models are doing quite well.
I'll just say that I don't value RTINGS' opinion on things very much these days after seeing what they overlook or excuse in some of their reviews/testing methodology.
Some of their results can be useful if you're looking for specific information, but I wouldn't make a purchase based on their information alone.
This is not to say that the LG sound bars are a bad product, but I'd rather buy Sonos if I was getting a premium sound bar - especially when you have the option to add wireless surrounds/subwoofers to expand it, and because I know that it integrates well with an Apple/AirPlay ecosystem (though it'd be nice if they could support Siri).

I think you are generally better off buying a two or three speakers and a cheap amp. Better bang for the buck audio. But some people don't have/want the space for speakers.
So if it's between a sound bar or tv audio I think you're 100% better off with the bar.
I would much rather have a pair of stereo speakers than any soundbar or smart speaker, but I know Tabris is not looking for that - we've had that discussion before.

OP
OP
tabris

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Quick update, I ended up getting the LG SP8YA soundbar. Super happy with it. LG TV is able to control it completely including changing sound profiles. It has 0 hassle being in the same ecosystem. It looks good as well.

wtWjf3v.jpg

It's never going to compete against a true speaker system but it is much better than TV speakers. As well I think there was something physically wrong with one of the speakers on my LG TV, as my CX sounded better than my C1. But I was too hassled to get it replaced since it was a pain to unpackage & mount. But really in the end I didn't want to deal with hassle of wires and speakers everywhere - wanted something clean.

This is not to say that the LG sound bars are a bad product, but I'd rather buy Sonos if I was getting a premium sound bar - especially when you have the option to add wireless surrounds/subwoofers to expand it, and because I know that it integrates well with an Apple/AirPlay ecosystem (though it'd be nice if they could support Siri).

But how is that different from the LG's? These new LG soundbars work with AirPlay2 (not just 1), the LG TV works with Homekit so both are powered on/off/volume/etc via Homekit. So may actually be a better integration. And these soundbars come with a wireless subwoofer already, and you can always add wireless surrounds as well as an option:

www.lg.com

Wireless Surround Sound Kit - SPK8 | LG CA

Discover LG SPK8. Click for pictures, reviews, and tech specs for the LG Wireless Surround Sound Kit .

And finally going from a Sony HTZ9F (which is comparable to a Sonos) to this LG soundbar, I found the integration between TV and Soundbar was a huge difference for me - it starts up so much faster than the eArc switch w/ the Sony soundbar. I assume same problem with Sonos.

Major Byson

May 18, 2018
Quick update, I ended up getting the LG SP8YA soundbar. Super happy with it. LG TV is able to control it completely including changing sound profiles. It has 0 hassle being in the same ecosystem. It looks good as well.

wtWjf3v.jpg

It's never going to compete against a true speaker system but it is much better than TV speakers. As well I think there was something physically wrong with one of the speakers on my LG TV, as my CX sounded better than my C1. But I was too hassled to get it replaced since it was a pain to unpackage & mount. But really in the end I didn't want to deal with hassle of wires and speakers everywhere - wanted something clean.

But how is that different from the LG's? These new LG soundbars work with AirPlay2 (not just 1), the LG TV works with Homekit so both are powered on/off/volume/etc via Homekit. So may actually be a better integration. And these soundbars come with a wireless subwoofer already, and you can always add wireless surrounds as well as an option:

www.lg.com

Discover LG SPK8. Click for pictures, reviews, and tech specs for the LG Wireless Surround Sound Kit .

And finally going from a Sony HTZ9F (which is comparable to a Sonos) to this LG soundbar, I found the integration between TV and Soundbar was a huge difference for me - it starts up so much faster than the eArc switch w/ the Sony soundbar. I assume same problem with Sonos.

The LG soundbar looks great! Matches really well with your setup!

I agree about trying to keep everything within the same brand/ecosystem. Better integration plus I think it just looks better instead of mixing and matching different brands.

I recently picked up an LG CX myself and have been looking into some form of external audio setup. I actually think that the TV speakers are surprisingly good but obviously cannot beat out a soundbar or speakers.

My biggest concern is a soundbar blocking off the TV as I haven't mounted mine.

I have ordered some speakers and stands so might update photos in a few days once I have it setup.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
But how is that different from the LG's? These new LG soundbars work with AirPlay2 (not just 1), the LG TV works with Homekit so both are powered on/off/volume/etc via Homekit. So may actually be a better integration.
It is one thing to support AirPlay (2), but another to actually support it well.
I've had bad experiences with many third-party implementations across different brands (Bose being the most recent) where AirPlay either does not work reliably, or does not work across all setups in ways that Apple devices do.
Sonos devices have performed exactly like Apple devices for me - which is to say that I've had no issues whatsoever.

Again: this was not a statement about LG making bad products, but that they are unknown to me, while Sonos products have a well known reputation and do work reliably in my experience.
I'm sure you can also see the irony in someone saying: "the speakers on my LG TV are disappointing, I'd better buy another LG speaker to replace it."

And these soundbars come with a wireless subwoofer already, and you can always add wireless surrounds as well as an option:
www.lg.com

It's not really the same as Sonos where you can add a pair of more substantial subwoofers, have different options for upgrades (ikea symfonisk, sonos ones/fives), and the speakers can act independently - though the latter probably doesn't mean much to you when you have HomePods elsewhere.

Ultimately, none of this is as important as being happy with the new LG sound bar - and it sounds like you are.
I just thought you of all people would have been lining up to buy Sonos, as that seems like the obvious high-end mainstream choice.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you're ever looking to upgrade later on to something that still matches your minimalist aesthetic while offering fuller sound, check out some of Braun's stuff. Here are examples of their recent wireless range:

braun-speaker-lineup_3-100826808-large.jpg

braun-speaker-lifestyle.jpg

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Samsung q90r soundbar. It does an excellent job simulating Atmos(this will largely depend on the layout of your media room though). I wanted something wireless which is why I went with the soundbar because I couldn't easily hide wires in my setup. It gives excellent sound when I'm gaming and watching movies, for music it does a decent job but I lean more towards a 2.1 setup or just a 2 speaker setup even if I only wanted it for music. If budget was an issue I'd still stick with a decent 2.1 setup instead of going the soundbar route. Unfortunately with new consoles it only makes sense to go with a receiver or soundbar imo due to everything being so HDMI centric.

If you're ever looking to upgrade later on to something that still matches your minimalist aesthetic while offering fuller sound, check out some of Braun's stuff. Here are examples of their recent wireless range:

braun-speaker-lineup_3-100826808-large.jpg

braun-speaker-lifestyle.jpg
Those Braun's you linked r sexy

Status
Not open for further replies.