• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This might be an extremely dumb question. But what is with the lights behind the TVs that a lot of people have? Like the neon purple or bright green? It looks cool, just never thought of doing that. Is it distracting when playing? And what kind of light is it?
There are tons of options. Look up bias lighting for cheaper options or you could get Hue Plays or Blooms

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
This might be an extremely dumb question. But what is with the lights behind the TVs that a lot of people have? Like the neon purple or bright green? It looks cool, just never thought of doing that. Is it distracting when playing? And what kind of light is it?
The idea behind a white bias light is it will enhance the contrast on dark scenes on an LCD. The RGB ones can just look neat.

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
Welcome to my humble bedroom:

img_20210104_2343351wjkj.jpg

img_20210104_234655azjww.jpg

img_20210104_2347272wkbg.jpg

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's rather funny how you can generally tell the age of the person and if they have kids or not by the photo. If the poster has a significant other is a crap shoot, but many of these setups will only last until they are taken over by others.
Eh, some people still have all this stuff even with a spouse and kids.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni

Bias lighting - good for eye fatigue and for to look good - not distracting at all

I went with white for mine

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My setup is pretty humble imho (and I still need work on it)

IMG-20210104-171316.jpg

IMG-20210104-171308.jpg

IMG-20210104-171355.jpg

Bonus: My potato laptop for old Nihon Falcom games, some controllers and my handheld devices. Sold my New 3DS but I want get a 2DS or New 2DS XL soon.

IMG-20210104-172139.jpg

I want do something with this wasted space lol

Working_Stiff

Jan 1, 2018
Mine are these from Amazon. Pretty cheap and they go on sale a lot.
Ha, I think I have the same set.

Also, while I like the way mine look behind the TV, the original reason I put them there was it was cheaper to run the extra lights i already had between the bookshelves on either side of the TV than it was to buy a long extension wire.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
This is the basement. Series x and ps5 to a Panasonic 65vt60. Totem acoustics 5.1 with a NAD receiver. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts.
25QEKm3.jpg

36Hg3bH.jpg

This is the pc setup. Relatively new pc, 2070rtx and a 3700x to a 27 inch Dell gsync monitor. Yes the monitor arm pooched my wall.
zh3A7ds.jpg

Last edited:

ajcacio

Mar 6, 2018
I live in a pretty small condo, so you're looking at half my house and I have no "dedicated" setup but I'm pretty pleased with what's there. There's a few lil trinkets here and there (Mario/Luigi amiibo on the speakers, PS blankets, Horizon ZD art book) mixed with about half (!) of my wife's plants.

nyfd5jO.jpg

Specs:

TCL 55R615 (plan to upgrade to 65" 2021 TCL 8 series)
Roku Soundbar, Speakers, and Subwoofer
And of course, my pride and joy...PS5

Would also love to add Hue Play for some ambilight this year.

Last edited:

Gamer4life

Dec 6, 2017
This is the basement. Series x and ps5 to a Panasonic 65vt60. Totem acoustics 5.1 with a NAD receiver. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts.
25QEKm3.jpg

36Hg3bH.jpg

This is the pc setup. Relatively new pc, 2070rtx and a 3700x to a 27 inch Dell gsync monitor. Yes the monitor arm pooched my wall.
zh3A7ds.jpg

Nice. I miss my plasma tv. Don't miss the room temp and power bill hike though.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
If I buy a place within the next couple of years, I'll have to decide on this, but wondering if most people just pay a professional for TV mounting or if they do it themselves?

Also, this is sort of first world problem, but I kind of fear that I'll find a perfect place except for it having a fireplace which will end up being the best location for a TV. I wouldn't want to be in a position where I would have to be looking up and taking away practical options for a speaker system set up.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Re-did my WFH office a couple months ago. Added a new TV for the launch of PS5. New gaming room complete :)

tOxIcMO.jpg

4T2dKvF.jpg

3Lt1Alb.jpg

aXDc4AV.jpg

5KFreni.jpg

Goals for 2021:
- New gaming monitor
- Gaming PC (maybe)
I've had those same speakers on my computer for like ten years now, lol. Every once in awhile I feel like upgrading, but they're just too solid to justify it. Not incredible or anything, but really solid.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Here, I got 4 different consoles hooked into the TV that you can't see too well (which is the point), along along with 3 mini-consoles in those drawers that hook easily into the side of the TV, with speakers in the ceiling (along with controllers and cords in the ottoman in the corner). It's all about having the most games available at my fingertips, without it looking like I do...

waCwvF7.jpg

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here, I got 4 different consoles hooked into the TV that you can't see too well (which is the point), along along with 3 mini-consoles in those drawers that hook easily into the side of the TV, with speakers in the ceiling (along with controllers and cords in the ottoman in the corner). It's all about having the most games available at my fingertips, without it looking like I do...

waCwvF7.jpg
This looks great. Well done.

Green

Oct 27, 2017

waCwvF7.jpg

Love the reading corner next to the fire. Cozy.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
If I buy a place within the next couple of years, I'll have to decide on this, but wondering if most people just pay a professional for TV mounting or if they do it themselves?

Also, this is sort of first world problem, but I kind of fear that I'll find a perfect place except for it having a fireplace which will end up being the best location for a TV. I wouldn't want to be in a position where I would have to be looking up and taking away practical options for a speaker system set up.

I got a professional for the TV Mounting.

Best Buy (where I got the TV from) did it themselves alongside the speakers/surround sound system as well.

IBetUHav

Oct 27, 2017
I have some work to do on mine. The 2.1 cables are ran temporarily (hence those white cable hiders on the left side of the TV), and the UPS behind the TV needs to be replaced since the 77" CS pulls a lot more power than my old 2015 70" Vizio. The console at is falling apart (the wood is just resting on the top now). One of my plans for this year is to rewire the 2.1 cables through the wall. The up-firing Atmos speakers will be replaced with in-ceiling speakers, the Polk subwoofer has finally started to give out (she's served me good over the past 15 years). I plan on replacing the two sofas (not pictured) with a nice sectional, too, as well as adding some automated shades (since my windows let in a lot of light in the evening)

EDIT: Rehosted image. Previous link was breaking

img_20210103_092219m0jzy.jpg
Nice setup. Luke and Han from the cereal mail in top left??

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis

Having it above a fireplace is weird just for watching IMO. My neighbor has it like that. But for gaming? No way. That angle would be awful for, say, an FPS. You could turn-based JRPG or walking sim real nice though.

Deleted member 19293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

waCwvF7.jpg

I wanted to chime in and say I liked it a lot. May I ask where you got that media center? I'd quite like one like it.

ericksakti

Dec 24, 2020
It's rather funny how you can generally tell the age of the person and if they have kids or not by the photo. If the poster has a significant other is a crap shoot, but many of these setups will only last until they are taken over by others.

hahaha my house is a total mess with two daughters, and now with additional newborn boy, which means that I cannot get the clean aesthetic that I have planned when i designed the house. But yeah its a tradeoff that I can live with, and I would do it any day. I guess once they reach the age of 11-12 yo I can remove a lot of the protection barrier and toys around the house.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
Is that coffee table completely encasing the millennium falcon, or is it just sitting on a shelf under a glass top? Cuz this something that I was thinking of doing once I eventually build mine.

Just a glass top.

For a while I was looking at display cases from these guys. It now seems they have an actual coffee table. They are nice cases just not cheap.

There is a bunch of options ideas here. It's how I found my coffee table.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020

I recently saw mantle mounts for this issue. They are easy to pull down tv mounts meant for above a fireplace. Looked pretty snazzy.
mantelmount.ca

Mantelmount Canada

The Original Pull Down TV Mount For Any Flatscreen TV

Enordash

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
I could stand to do something about how yellow the light is, but otherwise I'm happy enough with it. I even added some things to the walls!

E1Rj4dB.jpg

OP
OP
tabris

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
LG CX 77"; Sonos Arc; West Elm Media Console. The PS5 is so huge that I couldn't fit it on my bookshelf and wanted the console to be free of anything but the soundbar...so I've got it as a pseudo cable hider lmao

---

Zoomed out view; our office is to the left of our Living room area. We're in a 1BDRM apartment and both working from home:
IMG-0089.jpg

The PS5 really ruins the symmetry and look of this setup. Why not remove some stuff on your shelf to the left and put the PS5 on that. Also find a cable track like you have between TV and media centre to hide your cables between that shelf and the media centre? It would look amazing!

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 really ruins the symmetry and look of this setup. Why not remove some stuff on your shelf to the left and put the PS5 on that. Also find a cable track like you have between TV and media centre to hide your cables between that shelf and the media centre? It would look amazing!
The PS5 can't fit on the shelf lmao. I still gotta think about what to do with it. I actually could fit in the media console horizontally but I'm concerned about heat, so I'll either need to cut upon the back (which currently only has holes for cables) or find somewhere else..

As for the cable track, I'm going to get one of those soon. I legit just set this up the day I took the picture lol

Edit: Well I guess the PS5 can fit on one of the shelves higher up but I'd prefer it be closer to the ground

vitacola

May 23, 2018
l.sn.de
Just a quick question for everybody here:
Now that I'm probably working from home for another year, I want to get a nicer chair for my desk setup. At the moment I'm sitting on a basic kitchen/dinner room kind of chair and I can feel that it's wrong. But because my desk is in the living room and WFH will stop eventually next year I don't want to go all in with an ergonomic "super-monster". It should be more ergonomic than a simple chair but not too hideous so it can blend in the living room (I would say the design it's somewhat nordic). Oh, and I really hate to sit on leather and artificial leather because of the sweating. Any ideas?

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
Love these threads, always say "This year, I'll actually take pics of my setup" then I open the thread.. Yeah, fuck you very much (grats on the nice shiz).

Jul 26, 2018
20210105_110305.jpg

20210105_110319.jpg
20210105_110324.jpg
20210105_110410.jpg

Here's my current setup. Including my custom PC, LG CX, custom Xbox Series X (made it Cyberpunk themed), PS5 (custom PS5 coming soon), Switch, etc. My desk is a bit messy because i'm building a Lego ThunderJaw from Horizon Zero Dawn so 4K pieces on my desk right now hahaha.

Dec 11, 2017
Eq_Nz9rUwAICmQp

This was just over the holidays.

Eq_Nz9rU0AYLa-F

This is now.

LG 65" CX OLED, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, Wii U (behind the letters). NES Classic Edition and SNES Classic Edition are more for show than function these days, thanks to NSO.

Status
Not open for further replies.