• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRumy3

Oct 27, 2017
Hueco Mundo
IBM Model M or Unicomp?
Lexmark Model M basically IBM. It's from 1995 but I did buy it from unicomp warehouse 2 years ago on black friday I should of bought more I paid 40$ and it was brand new.
1TDmAsDl.jpg

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Here's my general set up, took a quick picture before I went to work this morning, so it's not tidy at all.

mgJ3fm4.jpg

Really hoping to upgrade my TV this year, but paying £2k for one only 2 years ago means I shouldn't do really...

ShiftyRat

Oct 27, 2017
Re-posting the same images as last year as nothing has really changed. I did get a 3D printer and upgraded my computer to a new case (NZXT h500i) but I don't have good pics of either at the moment.

ciu4gVG.jpg

QlrxhmS.jpg

jdAi9Lx.jpg

eNVrIiF.jpg

uMYuUXN.jpg

RErYWtr.jpg

6QcE16U.jpg

NLyCEZr.jpg

4hWyi3T.jpg

h4j9m86.jpg

Bonus DnD Photo:
FqImcBg.jpg

Deleted member 10273

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure you already know, but just in case you don't, there's a whole thread of us here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/synthwave-retrowave-80s-neon-music-thread.1667/

That show's gonna be a blast I'm sure, I haven't been to a synthwave gig yet, though I still kick myself for not driving the 350 km to the nearest Carpenter Brut show last year.

I actually saw it but never really looked at it. It's on my watchlist now ;)

I'm actually driving 400 km to catch them, same for Carpenter Brut last year and The Dillinger Escape Plan the year before. It sort of became a yearly tradition to go to a cool concert in Amsterdam.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I just spent some time reading the whole thread. I just wanna ask people not to feed the trolls. Okay? Like if someone else comes in here to shit on stuff, ignore them or report them. Also, reading the thread all the way made me aware that there is pretty much just as many post that contained nothing but negative stuff over the negative posts. And I'm not trying to bash you, I get why you would need to get that said and get it off your chest. but at least don't make a wholly negative post yourself! Add a nice compliment about someone else's setup or something. Keep the positivity going! <3

I'm gonna post my own setup later. I'm still trying to figure out what to change about it. I have done a lot of changes recently but there are still some things I wanna do. And I also need to dust, hehe. Having two dogs and a general dust magnet of an apartment isn't much fun, I have to tell you!

Hey! Lovely setup I have to say. This pic specifically cemented my idea about what to do with the space behind the couch. I currently have 3 huge Bestå shelves (3x3 Bestå, basically) that is just a huge black box that eats away at my soul. We have sold a lot of stuff recently so we don't need as much space anymore, so a set of much lover shelves like yours would probably be enough now. Kallax 2x4 is a great choice, probably going for that plus one extra 2x2.

That TV shelf is a brilliant idea btw, too bad my TV placement doesn't let me copy it!

ShiftyRat

Oct 27, 2017
Really nice! What do you use the 3D printer for?

Thanks! The 3D printer is primarily used for printing random toys for my kids, as well as statues, dice towers, and other nerdy stuff. I have printed a few "functional" items for use around the house as well.

Around a week before Christmas my three year old suddenly started telling us that he had asked santa for a "volcano castle". If it weren't for the 3D printer there is no way that request would have been fulfilled.

KuyNDry.jpg

OP
OP
tabris

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
By the way, I've done it in the past, if anyone wants interior decorating advice, feel free to ask me - I went through the following evolution and I believe I have a great sense of interior design. I think some of the setups you see here were influenced by my advice, and I can advise based on a small budget:

KzACq.jpg

y6fCv.jpg

Q2JTB.jpg

h38dx.jpg

Ayk6P.jpg

FtDaXfq.jpg

fYfkxKo.jpg

(the final one will be mounted and I'll be adding back in my decorative accents like the statues and bamboo tree)

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Thanks! The 3D printer is primarily used for printing random toys for my kids, as well as statues, dice towers, and other nerdy stuff. I have printed a few "functional" items for use around the house as well.

Around a week before Christmas my three year old suddenly started telling us that he had asked santa for a "volcano castle". If it weren't for the 3D printer there is no way that request would have been fulfilled.

KuyNDry.jpg

Never knew I wanted a volcano castle, too. Kids are the best.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I put it in my watch list but I don't have much hope. Look at my post on the second page if you want a glimpse at what I'm up against.

Ah the classic stuff can be challenging. I still think some of the tips I suggest can be applied though. Replacing cables might not be as easy but still possible for some consoles. Putting away the controllers instead of leaving them hooked up will probably help make it more eye pleasing too.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ah the classic stuff can be challenging. I still think some of the tips I suggest can be applied though. Replacing cables might not be as easy but still possible for some consoles. Putting away the controllers instead of leaving them hooked up will probably help make it more eye pleasing too.
Yea, cable management for proprietary video cables is a bit more challenging. But it's definitely possible. And your OT looks great.

wildmike85

Oct 25, 2017
Here, now nobody else has an excuse to avoid posting out of fear that their set-up isn't nice enough. I'll be updating all of this soon, but it works for now.

Living room area with ps4 and switch.
2hye4he.jpg

My computer area is in a small room inside the bedroom.
330epvq.jpg

Here's the pc room. I'm working on getting a TV set up in here for the 1080p consoles. Wii, Wii-u, ps3, and the nes/snes classics.
dew7s1.jpg

Deleted member 10273

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey! Lovely setup I have to say. This pic specifically cemented my idea about what to do with the space behind the couch. I currently have 3 huge Bestå shelves (3x3 Bestå, basically) that is just a huge black box that eats away at my soul. We have sold a lot of stuff recently so we don't need as much space anymore, so a set of much lover shelves like yours would probably be enough now. Kallax 2x4 is a great choice, probably going for that plus one extra 2x2.

That TV shelf is a brilliant idea btw, too bad my TV placement doesn't let me copy it!

Hey, glad I inspired you a bit. DIdn't expect so much positive feedback for my humble setup, made my day a little better :)

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, cable management for proprietary video cables is a bit more challenging. But it's definitely possible. And your OT looks great.

Thanks!

Heh, one expensive solution to the classic games problem for that poster is to start replacing some of the systems with some of these FPGA systems. Then you can just use a single HDMI cable for video and audio and a USB cord for power. I've already picked up the NES and SNES of that with the Genesis coming in April. The Mega SG could also replace the Master System too and hook into the Sega CD. But like I said, that route isn't cheap, but it would do wonders =)

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Here, now nobody else has an excuse to avoid posting out of fear that their set-up isn't nice enough. I'll be updating all of this soon, but it works for now.

2hye4he.jpg

330epvq.jpg

Here's the pc room. I'm working on getting a TV set up in here for the 1080p consoles. Wii, Wii-u, ps3, and the nes/snes classics.
dew7s1.jpg

What kind of guitar is that? Epiphobe or real Gibson?

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks!

Heh, one expensive solution to the classic games problem for that poster is to start replacing some of the systems with some of these FPGA systems. Then you can just use a single HDMI cable for video and audio and a USB cord for power. I've already picked up the NES and SNES of that with the Genesis coming in April. The Mega SG could also replace the Master System too and hook into the Sega CD. But like I said, that route isn't cheap, but it would do wonders =)
Yea... they have their fans, but I don't think it's for me.

wildmike85

Oct 25, 2017
Still I love those hollow bodies and Epiphones can sound nice too. You playing mostly blues on that or pretty much everything?
I agree, they can sound good. And I absolutely love the look and character of the hollow bodies. The plan is to learn to play blues on this since I've mainly played folk music on acoustics in the past. Maybe I'll sell this for a 335 some time in the future if I end up sticking with this style.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

I try to make an effort every now and then to put the controllers away but sometimes I jump between systems a lot and it just becomes a mess. My wife would love it if I made a better effort. Fortunately, more retro systems are having decent wireless controllers made like Joyzz from Krikzz.

Thanks!

Real hardware for as long as possible!

I'm interested in a MiSTer at some point but as a supplement not as a replacement

Bora Horza

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Primary living/family room - used for my son's Switch.
IMG-20190120-090232.jpg

IMG-20190120-090411.jpg

Billard/man cave room - this was built last year as part of a home addition. Still trying to decorate and will use this thread for ideas. Used primary for launch PS4 system.
IMG-20190112-091525.jpg

IMG-20190112-091540.jpg

IMG-20190112-091447.jpg

And this is my dog Lobo. He wanted to be included since I was talking pictures.
IMG-20190112-064758.jpg

Love the flooring in your place.

Is that a jack-a-doodle?

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

2hye4he.jpg

330epvq.jpg

dew7s1.jpg

Hey what PC case is that? It looks nice.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree, they can sound good. And I absolutely love the look and character of the hollow bodies. The plan is to learn to play blues on this since I've mainly played folk music on acoustics in the past. Maybe I'll sell this for a 335 some time in the future if I end up sticking with this style.

Yeah those are actually versatile guitars which, thanks to Hubert Sumlin, B.B. King and Albert King (all the Kings, basically) get associated with blues. They sound great playing pop, funk, soul, punk, metal etc., especially with a pedal or two in the mix. Just really nice guitars. Honestly if I were you, I'd keep the Epiphone and just upgrade the humbuckers and maybe some other hardware instead of buying a 335. Pretty easy to do yourself and even if you pay for the work, its still gonna be cheaper than buying another guitar, even with trade-in value. Plus, Epiphone uses mostly the same wood as Gibson which is something that, say, Fender Mexico versus Fender Corona, CA can't claim.

Anyway to keep this on topic ... you should try Rocksmith ... or something.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
Some amazing set ups here! I have followed this thread for a handful of years, and I love the clean look with a minimalistic approach! Anyway, figured I would add my contribution to this thread! I live in a two story home built in January of 2018, and until I have adequate funds to finish the basement and build a man cave I am using our loft in the upstairs for my "man loft"! (Wife has given me creative freedom lol!) Little bit about the below images. I have a 65" LG B7 OLED, XBOX ONE X, PS4 PRO. Also not pictured is gaming pc that I can hook up to the tv but I have not used it in a while, so it is stored away in our spare room closet. I have my 2018 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar where I use daily, along with my iPad for light mobile stuff and some light gaming. Also not pictured is a handheld GBA with raspberry PI that I do all my retro gamin on which can connect via HDMI to my tv. I also have a Sonos set up, 2 Sono's Ones with Alexa support as well as a Sono's beam sound bar. The one Sono's One in picture will be wall mounted eventually to match the other which is wall mounted. Everything in my house (for the most part) is controllable with voice commands of apps on my phone. All lights in the loft are Philips hue including the two lamps. I included one picture with random colors for ambiance purposes. My sectional also pulls out to a bed which is awesome for relaxing and watching movies or gaming. I still need to add a few more minor touches to spice this area up as well as paint (thinking a light gray for walls). Even tho the house is new I hate the carpet and after its worn it will also be replaced with a gray instead of cream. For now I did not take pictures, but I also have a second iPad I installed in the wall in my kitchen that acts a a controller for everything in my house, exterior cameras, lights, music, all smart home apps etc. I also have a 65" KS8000 in the living room with a 5.1 Sonos set up (Another Sonos beam sound bar, 2 Sono's One speakers, and a Sonos sub... let me tell you that thing BUMPS). I love Sonos because I have full home audio for tv or music, that can be split into different rooms at different volumes etc.

I will have to update this post or make another post at night time showing off the loft with full Philips hue color's (The blue/green picture looks better in person... I have an iPhone XS Max but for some reason the camera always makes the hue colors look funky in pictures.) One other random note, my end table drives my OCD nuts with how the decor is and how it looks, I may change it (Even tho I love the gold rhino and the mini plant. The little heart will always stay, its for my dog that passed last March and her paw is imprinted on it).

VIEW FROM WALKING UP THE STAIRS:

fuzOdQq.jpg

VIEW OF TV UNIT AND TV:

xBuQp88.jpg

HEAD ON VIEW FROM SECTIONAL WHERE I SIT TO GAME:

ftoCm70.jpg

HEAD ON VIEW FROM SECTIONAL WHERE I SIT TO GAME:

A8cHCNa.jpg

VIEW OF CONSOLES IN TV UNIT:

sDzyCjy.jpg

VIEW OF SECTIONAL WHERE I LOUNGE TO GAME, WATCH TV & MOVIES, AND HANGOUT:

yOx6kks.jpg

ALTERNATE VIEW OF SECTIONAL:

z8aE11q.jpg

END TABLE WITH DECOR:

qZWnDGT.jpg

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Re-posting the same images as last year as nothing has really changed. I did get a 3D printer and upgraded my computer to a new case (NZXT h500i) but I don't have good pics of either at the moment.

Mann I could swear I saw that room/setup on bluray.com ages ago, but the walls were a different color back then (I'm thinking brown-ish) and the walls were definitely much emptier. Am I going crazy?

wildmike85

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah those are actually versatile guitars which, thanks to Hubert Sumlin, B.B. King and Albert King (all the Kings, basically) get associated with blues. They sound great playing pop, funk, soul, punk, metal etc., especially with a pedal or two in the mix. Just really nice guitars. Honestly if I were you, I'd keep the Epiphone and just upgrade the humbuckers and maybe some other hardware instead of buying a 335. Pretty easy to do yourself and even if you pay for the work, its still gonna be cheaper than buying another guitar, even with trade-in value. Plus, Epiphone uses mostly the same wood as Gibson which is something that, say, Fender Mexico versus Fender Corona, CA can't claim.

Anyway to keep this on topic ... you should try Rocksmith ... or something.

Awesome advice, bud. I appreciate that. Keeping this would probably be the best option, especially since I don't do any recording or play shows. It's hard to justify spending a lot of money on a guitar right now. And I've always been curious about Rocksmith. lol

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Great looking place. Hmm, it may just be the angle or what I see, but I wonder if it would look better if you swapped the couch and chairs (i.e. chairs against the wall and couch facing TV.

Thanks!, we though that possibility, but are two reclining armchairs so we had to put there for the space behind.
Besides, these are the one we use the most, so better be in front of the TV. But the first option was another couch in that place.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So after lurking this thread for almost SIX years, I'll finally post.

Disclaimer: I work as a sommelier and bartender and, while I make decent money, I have been saving every penny I can for five years to eventually open my own restaurant. All furniture I own I've either been given or picked up for free. Obviously I'd love to go on a shopping spree. I also live in a shit neighborhood in a disgusting basement apartment to save on rent (which is fun when you walk home from work at 4am). That said, I do spend money on my toys. Here you go.

Basic PC corner set-up. Got the case for free from a friend and I dislike it. It looks like a muscle car. And yes I have a lava lamp. I'm a walking cliche. Shush. My mother gave it to me years ago for a birthday and I like it.
IMG-0800.jpg

Closeup. Before anyone snarks out about an RGB headphone stand, I want to slightly defend myself by mentioning it has an external, very nice, sound card buried in the base. But yeah its a touch gaudy for my tastes. Blame my ex-partner.
IMG-0799.jpg

How it usually looks at night when I'm not using it.
IMG-0795.jpg

The adjacent room where my consoles live (retro consoles live in a storage locker at the moment, sadly). 55" TCL had to replace my old OLED which was shattered when a fight broke out last October. It's decent but definitely my next upgrade.

IMG-0802.jpg

Console shelf. Switch, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, used and enjoyed fine wine bottles. The bird carving keeps them all safe for me.
IMG-0807.jpg

My favorite part of the flat: the fireplace. Cleaned it out just now for all you nice people, too.
IMG-0815.jpg

A bonus for any music geeks (I saw plenty of you in the last few year's threads). My practice corner. I have a few banjos and woodwinds but they're elsewhere.

IMG-0808.jpg

Acoustics - 1970 Takamine Classical Acoustic, my first ever guitar, very expensive and a terrible, terrible guitar to learn on but I love her. 2012 Custom Martin, mahogany top. The griffin statue, much like the previous parrot statue, protects my instruments from evil spirits. He's done well so far.

IMG-0809.jpg

I play acoustic much more than electric but these are two of my go-tos. 1985 Gibson SG Custom, beat to hell from playing shows, being stuffed into things, and general drunken behavior. 1977 American Fender Stratocaster, refinished, painted and repaired by me. Could be the love of my life. Her name is Bailey.

IMG-0810.jpg

My current at-home pedal board. Need to actually rebuild a board for 2019 so definitely on the to-do list. Yes, the Cry Baby lives on the floor usually.

IMG-0811.jpg

My "workbench" where I do all my PC and guitar modding and repairs. Also a nice showcase of how disgusting my concrete walls and floors are. Blinds will stay closed as there's only chainlink, trash and possibly cadavers outside.
IMG-0813.jpg

Anyway that's the basics. Lovely living in Matapan, Boston, MA. Look forward to any advice on how to keep a slum-level apartment classy.

OP
OP
tabris

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Darknight , see the lack of posts in your cable management thread as the reason why I don't segment into a CribsEra and SetupEra. Unless you actively keep it alive, it'll probably die off. And it's a shame as it's a great thread that everyone can use. Already went through that effort before with separate threads for different subjects and it just causes splintering and threads to die.

You should make a post in here and I can make it a thread mark or however that works.

wildmike85

Oct 25, 2017
So after lurking this thread for almost SIX years, I'll finally post.

Disclaimer: I work as a sommelier and bartender and, while I make decent money, I have been saving every penny I can for five years to eventually open my own restaurant. All furniture I own I've either been given or picked up for free. Obviously I'd love to go on a shopping spree. I also live in a shit neighborhood in a disgusting basement apartment to save on rent (which is fun when you walk home from work at 4am). That said, I do spend money on my toys. Here you go.

Basic PC corner set-up. Got the case for free from a friend and I dislike it. It looks like a muscle car. And yes I have a lava lamp. I'm a walking cliche. Shush. My mother gave it to me years ago for a birthday and I like it.
IMG-0800.jpg

Closeup. Before anyone snarks out about an RGB headphone stand, I want to slightly defend myself by mentioning it has an external, very nice, sound card buried in the base. But yeah its a touch gaudy for my tastes. Blame my ex-partner.
IMG-0799.jpg

How it usually looks at night when I'm not using it.
IMG-0795.jpg

The adjacent room where my consoles live (retro consoles live in a storage locker at the moment, sadly). 55" TCL had to replace my old OLED which was shattered when a fight broke out last October. It's decent but definitely my next upgrade.

IMG-0802.jpg

Console shelf. Switch, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, used and enjoyed fine wine bottles. The bird carving keeps them all safe for me.
IMG-0807.jpg

My favorite part of the flat: the fireplace. Cleaned it out just now for all you nice people, too.
IMG-0815.jpg

A bonus for any music geeks (I saw plenty of you in the last few year's threads). My practice corner. I have a few banjos and woodwinds but they're elsewhere.

IMG-0808.jpg

Acoustics - 1970 Takamine Classical Acoustic, my first ever guitar, very expensive and a terrible, terrible guitar to learn on but I love her. 2012 Custom Martin, mahogany top. The griffin statue, much like the previous parrot statue, protects my instruments from evil spirits. He's done well so far.

IMG-0809.jpg

I play acoustic much more than electric but these are two of my go-tos. 1985 Gibson SG Custom, beat to hell from playing shows, being stuffed into things, and general drunken behavior. 1977 American Fender Stratocaster, refinished, painted and repaired by me. Could be the love of my life. Her name is Bailey.

IMG-0810.jpg

My current at-home pedal board. Need to actually rebuild a board for 2019 so definitely on the to-do list. Yes, the Cry Baby lives on the floor usually.

IMG-0811.jpg

My "workbench" where I do all my PC and guitar modding and repairs. Also a nice showcase of how disgusting my concrete walls and floors are. Blinds will stay closed as there's only chainlink, trash and possibly cadavers outside.
IMG-0813.jpg

Anyway that's the basics. Lovely living in Matapan, Boston, MA. Look forward to any advice on how to keep a slum-level apartment classy.
The SG was the first guitar that I immediately loved when I was a kid. I thought it looked so damn cool, and now I appreciate it for how classic that design is. Nice collection, man!

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The SG was the first guitar that I immediately loved when I was a kid. I thought it looked so damn cool, and now I appreciate it for how classic that design is. Nice collection, man!

Thanks. I know it's kinda got a AC/DC hard rock stigma due to the devil horn cut but its great for blues, metal, pop, anything really. Wish I had a hollow-body Gibson though.

Edit: Anyway, back to GAMING stuff (... if I ever evolve passed junior member I guess a MusicianERA Setup thread should happen. Sorry y'all).

ShiftyRat

Oct 27, 2017

The mounting of that cabinet along with the backlighting is slick AF.

Mann I could swear I saw that room/setup on bluray.com ages ago, but the walls were a different color back then (I'm thinking brown-ish) and the walls were definitely much emptier. Am I going crazy?

That must have been a doppelganger! We built the basement out back in late 2015/early 2016 and the walls have always been that bluish color.

To join in on the NZXT love, here is a bad pic of my new case (h500i):
eD2iQ2X.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.