• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK

On the original PS1, with a ridiculously slow CDROM drive, coming off the back of cartridges, I was rather entertained by playing Galaxian whilst the original Ridge Racer was loading.

Post your favourite 'now loading' gimmick/ screen/ trick/ whatever in memory of the old ways before we are bombarded with SSDs and fast loading?

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I really hate loading screens, so designing the game around them with climbing segments, corridors or enviromental puzzles are the lesser evil for me.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy the loading screens where you can test out your character's moves and combos like in Bayonetta.

No need to write memorials for loading screens though, SSDs don't eliminate them. Stuff like GTAV that needs 5 minutes to get into Online will still require a sizeable loading time.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar

On the original PS1, with a ridiculously slow CDROM drive, coming off the back of cartridges, I was rather entertained by playing Galaxian whilst the original Ridge Racer was loading.

Post your favourite 'now loading' gimmick/ screen/ trick/ whatever in memory of the old ways before we are bombarded with SSDs and fast loading?

This was a Namco wide thing I think. I fondly remember it for Tekken.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
In the first No More Heroes you could repeatedly hit the B button to make the star logo spin really fast and eventually go up

And in Wave Race Blue Storm you can move a dot around the screen and make waves in the water

Nov 8, 2017
OG Assassin's Creed letting you tool around with all your stuff on the load screen was great fun. I was disappointed when AC2 didn't let you do that in the same way - like you couldn't do as many things as you could in AC1.

DBZ: Budokai 3 let you twirl the analogue sticks to make more saibamen pop out, which was fun too.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Metroid Prime did a really great job, it could sometimes be jarring waiting for a door to open but it didn't feel completely out of context on a deserted alien planet. I also really liked the elevators that give you a glimpse at Samus. The game never uses the word "loading" even if it clearly is
latest

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017

You killed your own thread though.

I think being able to tinker with the options in FM7 was a good idea, except that UI was confusing and terrible.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind when games use tight corridors to match loading. The characters can still talk to each other and it makes the experience more seamless and enjoyable than a loading screen. Okami had okay load screens... kinda? By the way, didn't Namco like.. patent minigames on load screens and so the Okami one had to be removed in later releases?

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Bayonetta: Small training area while you're loading. Genius!

DMC3 on PS2: Hacking and slashing the DMC3 logo while loading. Sucks that this little thing was removed in the later re-releases.

Last edited:

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Everyone needs to experience Lost Odyssey's opening, from the Xbox 360, if they like impressive loading tricks.

Watch from 2:15 (time stamped it for you) to 3:15. This was mind blowing at the time, still amazing today imo, but with the era of SSDs approaching is something future gamers will take for granted =P

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I think it was DBZ Budokai 2 that had a flying Master Roshi(?) if you rotated the analog sticks. While much more simple, I liked it more than growing Cell jrs in Budokai 3.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Long before Namco let you play Galaxian while loading your game, some Commodore 64 games performed the same trick. Here's two examples:

Invade-A-Load

Load 'N Play

OP
OP
j^aws

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Bayonetta: Small training area while you're loading. Genius!

DMC3 on PS2: Hacking and slashing the DMC3 logo while loading. Sucks that this little thing was removed in the later re-releases.

I completely forgot about this, and is actually better than the Namco way because you are getting to practice a session to improve on the game you are loading. And yeah, I remember DMC3 on the PS2 as well with that trick:
qY1Ivwj.gif

Long before Namco let you play Galaxian while loading your game, some Commodore 64 games performed the same trick. Here's two examples:

Invade-A-Load

Load 'N Play

This is really awesome on the C64. It makes you wonder how Namco managed to patent the whole mini-game trick with prior art?

The C64 was great at just playing a SID tune in the background with psychedelic graphics when loading a tape game - that classic trick:

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know they get a lot of hate around here, but I'm actually fond of the "squeezing through gaps to mask loading" trend. It's more immersive to me than looking at a blank screen and some games do it well, with amazing graphics and animation and where it gets the atmosphere (eg Tomb Raider). Don't hate me Era.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Prime did a really great job, it could sometimes be jarring waiting for a door to open but it didn't feel completely out of context on a deserted alien planet. I also really liked the elevators that give you a glimpse at Samus. The game never uses the word "loading" even if it clearly is
latest
This is probably my favourite. The elevator scenes I found relaxing and helped reset the pace of the game.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017

Invade-A-Load

Load 'N Play

I'm sure I had a game or two that did this on the Spectrum 48k but maybe I'm misremembering and played it on a friends C64.

Never knew Namco had a patent for it. Maybe it was only applicable to disc loading.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
latest
This. I never felt like the MP loading screens were loading. Just felt part of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
There was a weird trick to actually legitemately skip some of the loading time in XCOM 2 when it came out.
You just had to press one button after some time and it "skipped" a whole lot of loading time - with the risk of the game crashing

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
59725728-c71f1580-91fc-11e9-9a89-bdaff69c5a70.png

James footsteps in Silent Hill 2.
Not really a trick but what I think about when I read "loading screen".

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure I had a game or two that did this on the Spectrum 48k but maybe I'm misremembering and played it on a friends C64.

Never knew Namco had a patent for it. Maybe it was only applicable to disc loading.

No, there were ones on the Speccy too; I was fortunate enough to work with Andy Severn for a few years, and he was responsible for this:

sB2zyWE.png

IIRC, he was amused by Namco's patent.

One that did something a bit different was the 'StoryLoader' from Moon Strike:

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Everyone needs to experience Lost Odyssey's opening, from the Xbox 360, if they like impressive loading tricks.

Watch from 2:15 (time stamped it for you) to 3:15. This was mind blowing at the time, still amazing today imo, but with the era of SSDs approaching is something future gamers will take for granted =P

First time experiencing that intro blew my mind. I knew I was in for a very special game.

OP
OP
j^aws

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
No, there were ones on the Speccy too; I was fortunate enough to work with Andy Severn for a few years, and he was responsible for this:

sB2zyWE.png

IIRC, he was amused by Namco's patent.

One that did something a bit different was the 'StoryLoader' from Moon Strike:

Wow, the irony of a clone of Namcos Pac-Man being used as a game loader before Namcos own patent is rather hilarious. He probably didn't object to their patent because he would've been counter-sued for the Pac-Man clone!

And that ancient Speccy shoot-em-up having a story to read at load time is rather clever.

Nov 1, 2017

As great as this is I don't know if its neccasarily a loading trick, when you start a new game in LO there is a substantial load time before the intro FMV, i always assumed that it loaded that first battle and had it ready to go for when the intro movie seamlessly switched to actual gameplay. although it's possible that it could have been loading stuff while the FMV plays out. What i still can't get my head around to this day is where the switch happens. It has to be the most seamless FMV to game transition ever, right? I've watched it a bunch of times trying to "catch" it, still can't. God damn i would love a sequel to this game.

neopokekun

Apr 19, 2019
Another great C64 loader was Mix-E-Load that was used for Delta. You mixed your own Rob Hubbard loading tune.

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
OG Assassin's Creed letting you tool around with all your stuff on the load screen was great fun. I was disappointed when AC2 didn't let you do that in the same way - like you couldn't do as many things as you could in AC1.

DBZ: Budokai 3 let you twirl the analogue sticks to make more saibamen pop out, which was fun too.
I forgot which dragon ball game it was but i like the one where its you tapping the x button to see how many bowls Goku could go through while loading into a game.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of long loading, Metro Exodus has to be on the worse ones, and I think it only happens with HDDs? I'm playing the game through GeforceNOW which is great because I get to enable RTX but the intro loading is ridiculous. You are pretty much forced the watch the entire intro every single time because it doesn't seem to load fast enough to prompt you to skip. It's also incredibly skippy and stuttery, probably because it is loading in the background (made me initially think it was just bad streaming).

The game installed locally on an SSD takes a only second or two before I am able to skip the intro.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Okami on the PS2 let you get loot by button mashing.

I feel like there was also another game where you played snake during loading and every pellet you collected added to your money.

I forgot which dragon ball game it was but i like the one where its you tapping the x button to see how many bowls Goku could go through while loading into a game.

Tenkaichi 3. It also had a push up Vegeta and Gohan pulling out swords.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who made this my own mini game by moving Byleth along with the load progression bar, while never overstepping it?

Also, swirling around the 'Now Loading' words in Symphony of the Night was kinda cool.

I played and beat three houses and had no idea you could move Byleth on that screen. He always ran haphazardly, I never knew I had control so I never tried lol.

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
Okami on the PS2 let you get loot by button mashing.

I feel like there was also another game where you played snake during loading and every pellet you collected added to your money.

Tenkaichi 3. It also had a push up Vegeta and Gohan pulling out swords.
Thanks i've seen the pushup vegeta but not the gohan one or maybe im forgetting it.

Oct 27, 2017
Halo 2 / Uncharted series seamless background loading.

Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy do that really cool trick where it will do a screen wipe between two different real time cutscenes by have a very short pre-rendered scene in the middle.

Honestly the amount of work that goes into memory management and design to accommodate those kind of seamless transitions is easy to underestimate.