• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bndadm

Oct 29, 2017
House season 7 finale where House drives right into Cuddys's house in anger. What an absolute bummer. I recall the creative team trying to justify it between seasons and it was just so tone deaf.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
250px-PrincipalSkinnerImposter.jpg

Again, I don't know how people can say this is where it was ruined when the Prequels and Special Editions already existed.

those. are. awful.

I definitely feel the prequels are awful save Reveng of the Sith which is just ok. I count each trilogy as it's own thing. In truth, nothing will ever stop me from watching Star Wars. Well the mainline movies anyway. I saw Rogue One years later and I still haven't checked out Solo.

And I can assure you that I am the real Seymour Skinner.

Soap NickTavish

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Obliterated in the most literal sense. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

indianajones4-nuke.jpg

Actually, I take that back... it was the fucking CGI gophers during the opening credits. Knew that spelled bad news right away 😔

Oct 26, 2017
I have no way of capturing the moment that Star Wars fans killed Stars Wars for me, but it happened somewhere between the release of The Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker. I just couldn't give 2 fucks about it anymore.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
The bending arts were not retconned? Nothing in there retcons that. I just watched both back to back and finished this Saturday.

The only thing that is remotely told to us about the origins of bending in the original is that the techniques are based on animals/spirits who also have the ability. Which we see in the special with Wan developing his firebending far beyond what others could do by imitating the movements of a Dragon.
The original specifically said that the original Benders were the sun and moon, the badger moles, and the dragons and that people learned from them. We even saw a whole lost civilization that had the original form of firebending that worshipped the dragons and that wasn't bent on just destruction. In fact it was actually a major plot point for Aang and Zuko as characters in the final season because they both thought that firebending was just good for hurting people and wanton destruction.

In the sequel, bending was reduced to power ups.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
As someone just getting back into Yu Gi Oh after I thought 5D's looked stupid (I was an idiot. I'm loving it and synchro so far,) I'd like to learn more why link stuff is so disliked. Is it because having more than one extra deck monster caused a power creep?

Kinda, basically any deck that can consintently spam monsters in the Deck or Extra Deck can be a problem.

Link Rules were marketed as a solution to that, but it was done in the worse possible way, by making it so that you could only use more than 1 Extra Deck Monster if you Summoned a Link first.

Konami spent almost a year without releasing any Links designed to work with specific decks, and many felt like the intention was to kill old Extra Deck heavy decks which led to anger. Players had to play whatever trash link they got access to.

And during that time most links were material restricted and could only be summoned with the brand new "Cyberse-type" monsters....Which no old deck had. So that meant you had like 2 playable link cards

But that's not all, Links themselves are Extra Deck monsters and their rules for summoning are so incredibly lax that you could basically pop them out of thin air, which meant you could easily spam a field of 6 Link monsters while a dedicated Synchro deck would be stuck with 1 at a time.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL, Links also had a built in ability called extra link, which meant a player could arrange his links In a way that allowed them to steal the only Zone your opponent could use for extra deck summons, which usually meant game over.

AND I'M NOT DONE, Then it turns out the new Anime ace monster "Firewall Dragon" is so broken that it can build the above arrangement like nothing. And since the Anime MC uses it Konami refuses to ban it and instead starts mass banning any fan favorite card that dares combo with it.

And to top it all off, the Anime series, VRAINS has the rockiest production and then sucked. We're talking Shadow the Hedgehog leves of edgy trash...And the amazing Dragon that is so iconic Konami could not ban it despite it making the game a chore to play? It appears 4. Fucking. Times. in 150 episodes.

Last edited:

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
So I read through this thread and saw not a single mention of Fantastic Beasts and the Crimes of Grindlewalt and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child......that makes me very suprised prised

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Episode IX, Star Wars. Entire movie is just one "WTF is this shit" moment. A moment that would unveil that the franchise is shackled to its "canon" to the point where the phrase, "to its detriment" does begin to encapsulate the scope of the tragedy. Blessed be Rian Johnson who tried to steer the franchise away from the decrepitude of banality.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is the same scene from the Progressive teaser and the Progressive series.
3iL0nSbl.png
O0ZruGjl.jpg

WTF happened? Downgrade in art(the first shot looks like it could be from the original series), and completely different character(literally). The real disappointment set in with episode 2, but this in retrospect is the point where you realize something happened in series development that set things on a totally different course.

To be fair, this isn't the worst part about FLCL 2.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The original specifically said that the original Benders were the sun and moon, the badger moles, and the dragons and that people learned from them. We even saw a whole lost civilization that had the original form of firebending that worshipped the dragons and that wasn't bent on just destruction. In fact it was actually a major plot point for Aang and Zuko as characters in the final season because they both thought that firebending was just good for hurting people and wanton destruction.

In the sequel, bending was reduced to power ups.

The techniques is what was achieved by people studying the spirits and animals. And you see Wan do exactly that, he's the one that came up with the firebending dance you see in that ancient temple because he studied a Dragon.

GracefulAcademicCivet-size_restricted.gif

As for the Sun, that was retconned in he original itself, when they just casually say the first firebenders were actually Dragons instead. Which begs the question....why is their power tied to the sun then?

The Moon is still where waterbenders got their techniques, by studying the movement it creates with the waves. The ability to Waterbend itself came from lion turtles granting a few the ability, Otherwise if it's something you can just learn, the existence of non-benders makes no sense

Expanding on a concept is not a retcon. If anything it makes the BS deus ex machina in Book 3 a bit more palatable.

I'm not a fan of defending Korra Book 2 but the whole Sun/Moon/Turtle thing was kind of a mess since the original, as most of the "explanations" in the north pole episodes came off as throwaway lines.

At least with Korra Book 2, with all its faults you can kinda make sense of the whole thing, since it shows the movement of planet and stars having an impact on spirits and energy , which was set up in the OG

Last edited:

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Halo, with Halo 4.
didact-square-542x542-e73e67d7be3d4674a250eb89b4e044f9.jpg

Let's take this mysterious long-gone race, bring them back and make them a generic villain oh and you won't know anything about them unless you read like 3 extended universe books.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Halo, with Halo 4.

Let's take this mysterious long-gone race, bring them back and make them a generic villain oh and you won't know anything about them unless you read like 3 extended universe books.
This was the weirdest thing to me. They had a blank slate to do whatever they wanted and their new game required a ton of extra material to get anything out of it. I had no idea what was going on with most of the story or villains

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This is the same scene from the Progressive teaser and the Progressive series.
3iL0nSbl.png
O0ZruGjl.jpg

WTF happened? Downgrade in art(the first shot looks like it could be from the original series), and completely different character(literally). The real disappointment set in with episode 2, but this in retrospect is the point where you realize something happened in series development that set things on a totally different course.

To be fair, this isn't the worst part about FLCL 2.
Progressive never happened, we should all forget about it.

Alternative, though? Alternative slaps.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Halo, with Halo 4.

The Didact was actually an interesting character. H4 didn't do him justice, but H4 didn't do justice to a lot of things.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Default sprint which ruined map design and the flow of the game:

Q4CT.gif

At least in Reach in was a choice and could be taken out altogether. Once you make it a default ability in the vanilla gametypes it becomes expected and anything custom made that doesn't include it is doomed to fail to grab the attention of the majority.

Power Shot

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, Alien: Covenant. That's a sad one I really wanted to like. There's a scene where they recite "Ozymandius" and they botch the meaning of the poem. Sucked me right out of the experience.

Bonus- I'm a college professor, and had been teaching "Ozymandius" the week the movie came out. I got an email from a student who also said it ruined the movie for her, too. That student got extra credit.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Jaime Lannister going to Dorne.

I think I never finished Season 5. I stopped short of the last episode.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Man, what? Halo 2 and 3 were fantastic. 3 had a few moments where the story jumped the shark but the game was a blast.
Almost everything they did with Halo after the first game convinced me that everything I loved about the first game was an accident. The feel of the combat, the slow pace of multiplayer matches, the indestructible vehicles, the elites as enemies, I could go on.

Brutes suck, dual wielding sucked, making the sword a usable weapon sucked, and the feel of the multiplayer once they plastered online onto it and introduced me to the other people that played Halo reallllly sucked.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Directed by Rian Johnson. Before that it was Phantom Menace and the introduction of Jar Jar Binks. Lucas destroyed it first, then JJ revived it only to have Rian totally fuck everything up again.

Game of Thrones - Pretty much all of season 8.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Star Wars was destroyed back in like 1997, everyone else just didn't show up to the party until now.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No I loved those two. Both music and story wise...I'm glad they are back on track.
I grew up only knowing about Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV Vol 1, and I loved the hell out of that album but I was completely oblivious to the Amory Wars as a whole. So it was a huge surprise to find out about all of it like a year ago, right before Unheavenly Creatures came out.

I definitely find it hard for me to parse the story elements out of the songs sometimes, except Afterman which is why its probably my favorite, so I've been reading the comics as well. I'm not a huge fan of where the story went in Good Apollo Volume 1.

I personally don't mind Black Rainbow, there are a couple of good songs but I can also do without it save for those songs I like.

Im also bummed. I bought tickets to a Coheed and Cambria concert for May and its looking like thats definitely going to be cancelled.