• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Nearly 30 years ago, I bought this my first video game magazine, Video Games & Computer Entertainment, April 1989 -

mBNiUSz.jpg

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
I know it was EGM, but being so long ago, I think one of these issues may have been the first we owned...I remember both these issues fondly, but still not 100%. We were pretty limited with funds growing up, but somehow my brother and I always found enough cash to buy the new issue of EGM, once we found out about it. We ended up buying "Death Valley Rally" because of the Super Star Wars issue, we didn't always make the best game buying decisions, lol.

page1-458px-EGM_US_040.pdf.jpg

egm33.jpg

Last edited:

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Electronic Games, December 1983

4442985671_c3a07d3ae8_b.jpg

SharpX68K , Electronic Games was the predecessor to Video Games & Computer Entertainment, as a lot of the key people were involved with founding both magazines. Later, they left VG&CE and revived Electronic Games for a short time in the mid 1990s (under the same publisher as Electronic Gaming Monthly).

Actually, that might not have been the first video game magazine that I bought. I had a few issues of Atari Age, which was the official magazine of the Atari Club (run by Atari in the early 1980s). This was my first issue:

atariage_vol2num3_01.jpg

tokkan

Nov 1, 2017
ce46ad61027e9960ade07cf05d4179ed.jpg

I probably bought earlier ones but this is the first that I really remember digging into. Was super into SF at that point.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Geez, how am I supposed to remember that? This is the first one I ever had but I'm sure I didn't buy it myself.

s-l16006kfok.jpg

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

First issue of a sub that went until the n64 days. By then I was mostly getting game informer. And frequent issues of egm, egm 2, and gamepro mixed in from newsstands through all those years.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
61EO7wcN37L._SX374_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Kinda wish I hadn't cut pieces out of this for an art project in elementary school.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Np7.png

Got my NES in May of 89 as an early Birthday Present and began reading Nintendo Power. I graduated to reading EGM in 91 and never looked back.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
s-l640gifrj.jpg

December '97. I had only gotten into console gaming a scant few months earlier with Star Fox 64.

The idea of a magazine all about Nintendo amazed me, and reading about the first 100 of anything turned my crank too.

My own copy is way more worn than this one, but somehow the cover is still attached, unlike many of my other Nintendo 64-era NP issues.

Last edited:

kidtamagotchi

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know how to post pics. but my first video game magazine was the EGM issue that had a screen shot of Ken in Blanka's stage from Street Fighter II. Great issue! It's where I also first found out about Yu Yu Hakusho!

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
DbKcvbhX4AAFoXE.jpg

It was the start of a new era for me and videogames. I had a local Gamestop to go to and the knowledge from GameInformer to know what games to preorder. 8-year-old Booki was untouchable.

I wish there was a way to reread GI issues from that era.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
HRAiES0.jpg

Not sure if this was the first one, since I had at least read earlier magazines, but it was definitely one of the first ones I owned.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
It was a Tips n Tricks magazine but I don't remember what the cover was, and browsing random ones isn't sparking any memories. The first one I remember buying is this:

0UqxXAd.jpg

Which lead to it being my first magazine subscription as well. Loved EGM.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Mine is kinda random but the Metroid Prime 3 info caught my young self's eye and I had to pick it up. This magazine issue is also the one that first featured Project H.A.M.M.E.R. ;)

WThJnaG.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
It was either this one or an old game fan I think, it was a small magazine, about the size of a DVD's case. Believe it said game fan on then cover but not seeing it on google.

So I'll go with this issue of tips and tricks. I was 14 and was waiting for the n64.

bf9c33da188e30ca89b2bc851b59fedf.jpg

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1990_01.jpg

I'm not quite sure if it was this particular issue, but this magazine definitely and I have a vague memory of a Zelda themed cover.

Oct 28, 2017
It was a Tips n Tricks magazine but I don't remember what the cover was, and browsing random ones isn't sparking any memories. The first one I remember buying is this:

0UqxXAd.jpg

Which lead to it being my first magazine subscription as well. Loved EGM.

Same. EGM was amazing. I went on a buying spree a few years ago on eBay and started buying a lot of the issues I had from like 98 to 2001.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ca1d6f6b4d4b5882668c423132756b63.jpg

This is the earliest one I distinctly remember, it was the first issue I got from my first subscription. Mine had a different racer on the cover, though. I read it until the pages started falling out.

rakhir

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actually bought April 1998 first, but that cover is boring, so here is May 1998, with reviews for the expansion for Jedi Knight (beat it with cheats and loved it, I was way to young to play it properly), and something called Fallout.

This magazine was revolutionary because it came with CDs with every issue filled with demos - it was a treat back then, without any internet access whatsoever.
They also included full versions of games, crap ones at first (the april issue came with Battlecruiser 3000AD, yikes), but slowly they were getting better. In fact, it's funny that both Fighting Force and Incoming from this very cover were featured on the CDs a few years later.

CDA24%2005-98_bz1wv.jpg

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
latest

Okay, I don't think it was actually Edge, but rather the sister mag Games, but it had the same cover art. I remember the issue quite well since I picked up on the way to a school trip to Paris, and the issue was all about LittleBigPlanet and PS Home, and the whole potential of user generated content and living worlds. I can't understate just how interesting these ideas were, it was basically the VR of it's day and those two games were at the forefront of that conversation (yes, even PS Home).

The PS Home part of the issue was pretty interesting since it was all about the idea of user created spaces and inhabiting a virtual space - you could meet up with friends! Go to the movies together! Play games together! See other users milling about! Customise your home and your avatar! Show people your trophy room! Of course, it never really met that potential and simply became a super-basic Second Life-clone, but man, there's still something weirdly appealing about the whole idea and I have no idea why. I remember everyone (including myself) being super impressed at the original GDC presention where people were convinced this was basically the future of gaming and social media in general.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Who knows this? I suppose mine may have been a GamePro or Ninendo Power from the early 90's.

I still remember the ad for then-upcoming Mega Man X - I was sitting at my parents' table near the holidays and I thought "Wow I missed Mega Man 7-9, they completely changed his look."

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Never really bought gaming magazines. I used to buy games at gamestop though and they swindled me into getting a powerup pro card thing that included a year of gameinformer magazines. The gamestop membership thing was dumb but I actually liked reading these.

cov_216_v1_l.jpg

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
While I had a Nintendo power subscription starting with issue 4, I didn't buy those, my parents did. This was the first magazine I bought and it's just shocking how little Zelda is in the issue.

egm29.jpg

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
hobby-consolas_revista_360.jpg

March 1993

I was getting everything of Dragon Ball those years. Trading cards, comics, chewing gums and more.

Last edited:

StevePharma

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
oqN5ttQ.jpg

I remember very specifically, still have the magazine as well. I was 7 at the time, saved up for it and devoured every letter.

It's a Dutch magazine comparable to something like EGM, it's still in print with a more online presence I believe. Later on I gravitated to US- and Japan-based outlets but I believe they are still one of, if not THE, biggest magazine in the Benelux.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure it was this. The Official Nintendo Players Guide, still in a drawer somewhere beck home.
Official_Nintendo_Player%27s_Guide_-_053.jpg