• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Unspoken90

Oct 28, 2017
He said goth not metal. Painting your face like a clown and wearing black doesn't a goth make :p

Siouxsie and the Banshees
Joy Division
Sisters of Mercy
Dead Can Dance
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

And so on.
People confusing metal for goth music is actually fairly common. Especially the Gothic metal subgenre.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
Definitely gotta mention Depeche Mode here especially considering their sound on Black Celebration, Music for the Masses and Violator.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Combination Music Video/Movie

The Hunger... a vampire movie with David Bowie... and the song is "Bela Lugosi's Dead", a different version.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Not quite "goth", but a close enough excuse to post this. Fucking love this tune, and this is a great live recording of it (I believe from Ain't it Dead Yet).

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Great, a perfect thread to post my favorite band, The Birthday Massacre. Not very well known, but they have put it a ton of music over the last 18 or so years and are still going strong. Unique mix of both heavy and beautiful, dreamy sounds.

One of their classics for 10+ years ago.

And one of their latest releases.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Also worth checking out is The Tear Garden, which is cEvin Key from Skinny Puppy and the amazing Edward Ka-Spel -
(not an official vid, which i normally hate posting, but its a great tune)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Great, a perfect thread to post my favorite band, The Birthday Massacre. Not very well known, but they have put it a ton of music over the last 18 or so years and are still going strong. Unique mix of both heavy and beautiful, dreamy sounds.

Nice . Never heard of them. Listening to their Walking with Strangers album right now.

Unspoken90

Oct 28, 2017

The Birthday Massacre is one of my favorite bands. Play Dead will forever be one of my favorite songs.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
If you're into AFI, check out Blaqk Audio (if you haven't yet). It's Havok's and Puget's Gothy electronic side project.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
@TheRedSnifit
That's crazy, You think Trent was inspired? Its very industrial sounding. Yeah White Zombie would be more accurate :p
Yes, Trent was inspired, he was accused of ripping off Skinny Puppy's Dig it with his song Down in it, and even used samples from it, Trent later said he was influenced by it (source). When Skinny Puppy signed with American records in '93 there was pressure from the label to make their sound more like NIN and commercial, which of course was met with heavy push back from Skinny Puppy which lead to turmoil within, Nivek Ogre walking away from the project (after recording some vocals though), which then contributed to the uneasy state and unfortunate overdose and death of Dwayne Goettel, and the bands breakup. Though cEven Key was still able to finish off the album, titled The Process, and honestly despite quite disliking it back in the day and it being very different, I've grown rather fond of it over the years. So, there may be some bad blood there, and that could have even been playfully expressed in Nivek Ogre's first music video from his ohGr solo project for the song Cracker.

If you notice, Trent Reznor and his march of (the) pigs kind of shits all over the protagonist of this video. Great tune though, and a great video, and totally worth checking out Trained Rage.

Last edited:

nnex

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not offering much on the video part of your request, but hopefully, this satisfies the other part. Great band.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

Was looking for someone to mention tbm as I know some gaf users also like them. Personally my favourite band as well.

I see people with the bunny icon fairly often and YouTube personalities will mention them such as the game grumps. I think they're fairly well known considering how little press they get. imo their label sucks and has done a poor job marketing the band. The last two proper Canadian tours they did(years ago) they went from half filled shows to sold out so they were definitely on the upswing. Then they signed and their label setup the tours and they've had issues with a couple of the bands they got stuck with. They also don't really play Canada anymore... they're a Canadian band ffs!

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Apoptygma Berzerk might be a good fit, their first two albums had some heavy goth vibes but were still quite experimental electronica. They did go heavily into futurepop after that though.

Maybe next week we can make an EDM/Futurepop thread, i'm really enjoying this one and it'd be nice to do another similar.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Star Industry - Nineties

And not a goth band, BUT, they do have a spiffy goth rock/metal song... Edge of Sanity - Sacrificed