• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I've gone to this several times recently. It's really a lot, CW for suicide

You don't want to hurt anyone
You don't want to burden anyone
You just want to disappear
You're an honest-to-god alcoholic
Waking up again in Beth Israel

You left your mother's ashes in his apartment
Now he can't sleep at night
And wants me to take them

What should I do with them?
Should I scatter them in the East River?
I remember you talked about that;
"The East River isn't romantic anymore, you know
That's where the suicides go"
Or maybe that's what you wanted in the end
To be mixed together and reunited with your mother

Mercury in retrograde

Didn't you hear they found titanium in the ocean?
Around Sheepshead Bay where it's hard to breathe
They're wearing masks, some even take off their clothes
And cover their mouths with conch shells

Others say they're just doing it to get high

Wallowing through heavy waves, eroding
Your cheek bones suck in like jellyfish
Words slide in and out
Your teeth are yellow sponges
Your tongue, a ragged seaweed

Will you sink beneath the bridge
And leave a bloodless body like smashed masonry?

Oct 27, 2017
Scandinavian melancholy and gloom.

(That last Broder Daniel song is from their final concert, after their guitarist commited suicide).

Last edited:

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Some very, very Austrian stuff:

Only at night - between eleven and half
twelve.
He sings to the moon the song of the wolves:
Where the rain is not bitter
Where the night hides the travellers
Where the sun heals your wounds
There is the land that is called freedom
So he believes
The old
Stupid Wolf

I lock the door
and put down the chain
hang up my clothes
like I always do
put warm water
into the tub
and for the first time in my life
I feel free

write to my friends
a final greeting
because today's a day
that has to be celebrated
I think you know where this one is going.

EDIT: Man, I sure drank a lot to these songs in my early 20s

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Autechre is amazing at making these melancholy melodies. Maybe not "depressing" sad, but I just find that breakdown halfway through incredibly cathartic.

Or if you do want depressing sad

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
If I'm allowed to post instrumental music...

The 1st and 2nd movements of both these pieces really pierce the soul.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017

This song makes me think of my life when I was younger. It makes me sad when I think about it now but I had a whole world when I was young that was so much better and more alive and rewarding than my life now as an adult. I have memories of all of these moments with my friends, family, schoolmates, teammates, and just other times on my own where I think about this song and others like it from the 90s and 2000s when I was a kid that made up what has essentially been my life's soundtrack.

It makes me think of my friend Robert who died from a heroin overdose. We used to listen to this song when we were hanging in his den and basement on the computer downloading stuff off of Limewire while playing N64 with our siblings and other neighborhood kids. I always liked the piano parts on this song and during the outro of Spacehog's song In the Meantime and so did he. The piano gives both songs this sort of wistful, melancholic quality that makes me sad whenever I hear it because I always think about Robert. I'll always associate this song and Robert with those times during the 90s and early 2000s when we were kids and when we used to hang out all the time and were best friends. I suppose it's because I've been downhearted ever since the day he left.

The song makes me think about both of our old houses in our old neighborhoods where we had so much fun together. Life has never been as good for me since I left that old house and his life was never as good when he left his either. There was innocence in both houses that never went with either of us to our new homes when our families moved. For him, there was no spiraling depression and drug use and for me there was no family dysfunction and infighting.

A few months before he died, I was over his house and talking with his mom before I left and we were concerned about him and were talking quietly downstairs before he came downstairs and asked me to come up to his room. He showed me this photo of him, me, and my brother in a leaf pile back in 1995 and I instantly recognized the photograph because our moms had copies made for the three of us and I still have the photo in my possession; he kept the photo on his dresser in his room. He let out this barely-concealed sigh when he showed it to me and I knew that he missed those days since life for him at that present time wasn't good at all. I miss them too and every now and then when I'm awake and can't sleep in the night I'll drive by our old houses and just sit there for a few minutes and think about him and the times we had together.

I don't know if it's just the passage of time or what but whenever I think about those times I see all of my memories in this sort of grainy quality like the type of picture you would see on an old standard TV like the ones we had before high definition came along. So many of my memories from those years and times with him are sort of dull and blurred and not as vivid or recognizable as I'm sure that they were years ago. There is a lack of context with some memories and with others there are just names and faces and places that aren't familiar anymore and some of which I need to struggle hard in order to remember. Some I struggle to recall at all.

I wish sometimes that I could just have him and those times and other moments in my life back. We used to collect Pokemon cards and Pogs and baseball cards together but for a while now I've sadly become more of a collector of regrets and what-ifs more than anything else. When you're young, whether you should or not, you feel like there is always a tomorrow for you to look forward to and there is always one more hangout, one more game, one more school trip, one more birthday party, and one more moment for you to look forward to and to get just right. When you get older, at least for me, it feels like some of the moments that you used to look forward to never return and if you missed them or didn't make the most of them then the sadness and pain that comes from it stays with you for years and maybe even forever. Robert hasn't been the only person, place, or thing that I've lost but so much of what I used to have and used to love about myself and my life existed back when Robert and I were friends and so it feels like when I lost him I lost so much else with him.

Whenever I hear this song and some of the other songs that we used to listen to together as kids, it makes me so sad because neither of us ever really moved on to something better in our lives than the times we had together. Maybe I just need more time to change that but I'm not so sure. Sadly, I think that the best moments and times in my life are probably buried back there with him.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria

I didn't believe what your brother was telling me on the phone at first.
You were in a serious accident with your brand-new car
For which nobody has an explanation
Three days later you were dead

On the way home, you were completely sober
and alone in the car
The road was dry, no oncoming traffic and
far and wide only the tree
You took direct aim at it
I can only hope you didn't feel a thing

I have seen you live
So much living that I'll never forget it
You were one of those who could do it.
Living without compromise

It's been a long time since we were together
and I've never regretted it.
I was young and dull and I understood
You need other people
You told me that my life is making you tired,
an accident like that doesn't suit you.

I have seen you live

You had everything you wanted
Your life was beautiful
There was money, a good marriage.
It was clear that you can talk to each other, too.
A sweet daughter, four years old
I don't understand what really happened here

I have seen you live

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Still one of the saddest songs I've ever heard in my life.

Goldenrod and the 4-H stone
The things I brought you
When I found out you had cancer of the bone

Your father cried on the telephone
And he drove his car to the navy yard
Just to prove that he was sorry

In the morning through the window shade
When the light pressed up against your shoulder blade
I could see what you were reading

Oh, the glory that the Lord has made
And the complications you could do without
When I kissed you on the mouth

Tuesday night at the Bible study
We lift our hands and pray over your body
But nothing ever happens

I remember at Michael's house
In the living room when you kissed my neck
And I almost touched your blouse

In the morning at the top of the stairs
When your father found out what we did that night
And you told me you were scared

Oh, the glory when you ran outside
With your shirt tucked in and your shoes untied
And you told me not to follow you

Sunday night when I cleaned the house
I find the card where you wrote it out
With the pictures of your mother

On the floor at the great divide
With my shirt tucked in and my shoes untied
I am crying in the bathroom

In the morning when you finally go
And the nurse runs in with her head hung low
And the cardinal hits the window

In the morning in the winter shade
On the first of March on the holiday
I thought I saw you breathing

Oh, the glory that the Lord has made
And the complications when I see his face
In the morning in the window

Oh, the glory when he took our place
But he took my shoulders and he shook my face
And he takes and he takes and he takes

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
Endless Night from the Lion King musical. So sad (allthough it ends on a bit more positive note).

OP
OP
julia crawford

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

This song makes me think of my life when I was younger. It makes me sad when I think about it now but I had a whole world when I was young that was so much better and more alive and rewarding than my life now as an adult. I have memories of all of these moments with my friends, family, schoolmates, teammates, and just other times on my own where I think about this song and others like it from the 90s and 2000s when I was a kid that made up what has essentially been my life's soundtrack.

It makes me think of my friend Robert who died from a heroin overdose. We used to listen to this song when we were hanging in his den and basement on the computer downloading stuff off of Limewire while playing N64 with our siblings and other neighborhood kids. I always liked the piano parts on this song and during the outro of Spacehog's song In the Meantime and so did he. The piano gives both songs this sort of wistful, melancholic quality that makes me sad whenever I hear it because I always think about Robert. I'll always associate this song and Robert with those times during the 90s and early 2000s when we were kids and when we used to hang out all the time and were best friends. I suppose it's because I've been downhearted ever since the day he left.

The song makes me think about both of our old houses in our old neighborhoods where we had so much fun together. Life has never been as good for me since I left that old house and his life was never as good when he left his either. There was innocence in both houses that never went with either of us to our new homes when our families moved. For him, there was no spiraling depression and drug use and for me there was no family dysfunction and infighting.

A few months before he died, I was over his house and talking with his mom before I left and we were concerned about him and were talking quietly downstairs before he came downstairs and asked me to come up to his room. He showed me this photo of him, me, and my brother in a leaf pile back in 1995 and I instantly recognized the photograph because our moms had copies made for the three of us and I still have the photo in my possession; he kept the photo on his dresser in his room. He let out this barely-concealed sigh when he showed it to me and I knew that he missed those days since life for him at that present time wasn't good at all. I miss them too and every now and then when I'm awake and can't sleep in the night I'll drive by our old houses and just sit there for a few minutes and think about him and the times we had together.

I don't know if it's just the passage of time or what but whenever I think about those times I see all of my memories in this sort of grainy quality like the type of picture you would see on an old standard TV like the ones we had before high definition came along. So many of my memories from those years and times with him are sort of dull and blurred and not as vivid or recognizable as I'm sure that they were years ago. There is a lack of context with some memories and with others there are just names and faces and places that aren't familiar anymore and some of which I need to struggle hard in order to remember. Some I struggle to recall at all.

I wish sometimes that I could just have him and those times and other moments in my life back. We used to collect Pokemon cards and Pogs and baseball cards together but for a while now I've sadly become more of a collector of regrets and what-ifs more than anything else. When you're young, whether you should or not, you feel like there is always a tomorrow for you to look forward to and there is always one more hangout, one more game, one more school trip, one more birthday party, and one more moment for you to look forward to and to get just right. When you get older, at least for me, it feels like some of the moments that you used to look forward to never return and if you missed them or didn't make the most of them then the sadness and pain that comes from it stays with you for years and maybe even forever. Robert hasn't been the only person, place, or thing that I've lost but so much of what I used to have and used to love about myself and my life existed back when Robert and I were friends and so it feels like when I lost him I lost so much else with him.

Whenever I hear this song and some of the other songs that we used to listen to together as kids, it makes me so sad because neither of us ever really moved on to something better in our lives than the times we had together. Maybe I just need more time to change that but I'm not so sure. Sadly, I think that the best moments and times in my life are probably buried back there with him.

I'm really glad you took the time to write this. I appreciate it.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

Thank you for sharing something so personal.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
This is like the holy trinity of depressing music

'The Eternal' was about a little down-syndrome kid who grow up near Ian. He could never come out of the house: his whole universe was the house to the garden wall. Many years later Ian moved back to Macclesfield and by chance he saw this kid: Ian had grown up from five to 22, but the kid looked the same. His universe was still the house and the garden." – Bernard Sumner

Caressing the marble and stone
Love that was special for one
The waste in the fever and heat
How I wish you were here with me now
Body that curls in and dies
Hardship that often belies
Warm like a dog round your feet
How I wish you were here with me now
Hangman looks round as he waits
Cord stretches tight then it breaks
Someday we will die in your dreams
How I wish we were here with you now

That rehearsal of In a Lonely Place was recorded four days before Ian Curtis hung himself.