• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 37235

The UK never "left" Imperialism, it was just demoted to a lower rung post-WWII.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Wait....are the English really so deluded?

Bwahahahaha! Look, they think they can be the U.S. without the military or economy.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Someone tell them they don't have the navy they once did in 1812

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wait....are the English really so deluded?

Bwahahahaha! Look, they think they can be the U.S. without the military or economy.

Of course not, it's not the first time nor will it be the last that politicians talk rubbish to appease their core voters who are deluded enough to think it could be true. This exact same thing happens world over by governments playing to their core voters, they're mostly all invested in keeping their jobs and saying whatever it takes to do that even if they don't actually follow through.

Oct 31, 2017
Yet.

I live not far from the F35 base (Marham), they are building the maintenance facility as we speak (since 2016)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read that while we can swap parts in and out here, many of the systems are essentially black boxes that have to be shipped to a US approved facility in Turkey of all places

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Here we go: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39501299

I can't remember where I read about it in more depth, but it boiled down to the US not trusting its allies with some of the tech, and therefore not providing manuals and training.
Yeah, the famous black boxes is one of the big deals with the F-35 and how the US grabs you by the nads. Critical electronics, sensors and whatnot need to be shipped to the US or US approved sites for maintenance and even further development.

Basically, if BAE develops an awesome missile for the F-35, the UK won't be able to use it without the US's approval since integration, software, sensors and pretty much everything else besides the airframe is locked down with the defence equivalent of DRM. This was an issue with present jets, but the F-35 took it to new heights.

This is also one of the chief reasons why Dassault and Airbus are positioning their next fighter as a better option than the F-35, even if it's still years away from flying. But Germany and other NATO countries find themselves in a bit of a pickle, as NATO's nuclear-sharing policy means that American nuclear bombs need to be programmed to work with their means of delivery, and of course, America won't allow European-made jets to use them. It's one of the ways the F-35 is being pushed as the only alternative to the Tornado.

Ironically, this BS may end up increasing the importance of France's own nuclear deterrence.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the famous black boxes is one of the big deals with the F-35 and how the US grabs you by the nads. Critical electronics, sensors and whatnot need to be shipped to the US or US approved sites for maintenance and even further development.

Basically, if BAE develops an awesome missile for the F-35, the UK won't be able to use it without the US's approval since integration, software, sensors and pretty much everything else besides the airframe is locked down with the defence equivalent of DRM. This was an issue with present jets, but the F-35 took it to new heights.

This is also one of the chief reasons why Dassault and Airbus are positioning their next fighter as a better option than the F-35, even if it's still years away from flying. But Germany and other NATO countries find themselves in a bit of a pickle, as NATO's nuclear-sharing policy means that American nuclear bombs need to be programmed to work with their means of delivery, and of course, America won't allow European-made jets to use them. It's one of the ways the F-35 is being pushed as the only alternative to the Tornado.

Ironically, this BS may end up increasing the importance of France's own nuclear deterrence.

It's also why BAE are forging ahead with Tempest.

Oct 31, 2017

The joys of the special relationship. We really are going for full Airstrip 1 status as a nation.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
It's also why BAE are forging ahead with Tempest.
It's funny, because there's talk about BAE's project merging with Airbus and Dassault's to create a new common jet since they are following the same goals. And countries like Italy (Leonardo) could get some extra pie out of it.

Let's see what happens with Brexit.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny, because there's talk about BAE's project merging with Airbus and Dassault's to create a new common jet since they are following the same goals. And countries like Italy (Leonardo) could get some extra pie out of it.

Let's see what happens with Brexit.

I thought FCAS and Tempest were strategically different engagement aircraft, with FCAS more tactical (like the F-35) and Tempest more combative in air-to-air engagements.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
The Tories:
1428438877008.png

Morden:
What do you want?

Londo Mollari:
To be left alone!

[Londo leaves the lift and quickly walks away.]

Morden:
Is that it? Is that really all, Ambassador?

[Londo sighs, then turns around.]

Londo:
All right. Fine! You really want to know what I want? You really want to know the truth? I want my people to reclaim their rightful place in the galaxy. I want to see the Centauri stretch forth their hand again, and command the stars! I-I want a rebirth of glory, a renaissance of power. I want to stop running through my life like a man late for an appointment, afraid to- to look back, or to look forward. I want us to be what we used to BE! I want…I want it all back, the way that it was! Does that answer your question?

[He turns and walks off.]

Morden:
[smiling] Yes. Yes, it does.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Morden:
What do you want?

Londo Mollari:
To be left alone!

[Londo leaves the lift and quickly walks away.]

Morden:
Is that it? Is that really all, Ambassador?

[Londo sighs, then turns around.]

Londo:
All right. Fine! You really want to know what I want? You really want to know the truth? I want my people to reclaim their rightful place in the galaxy. I want to see the Centauri stretch forth their hand again, and command the stars! I-I want a rebirth of glory, a renaissance of power. I want to stop running through my life like a man late for an appointment, afraid to- to look back, or to look forward. I want us to be what we used to BE! I want…I want it all back, the way that it was! Does that answer your question?

[He turns and walks off.]

Morden:
[smiling] Yes. Yes, it does.

If only more people had watched Babylon 5, this could have all been prevented ;)