• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
Even if they were technically a financially beneficial, I think it's morally repugnant to have a monarchy with such exorbitant lifestyles whilst there are tens of thousands of kids living in poverty in this country.

That being said, people come for Buckingham Palace or whatever, and it doesn't go away if we chop their heads off. People still visit Versailles.

All of this x a million. The mere fact we have a monarchy while how many kids are starving on the streets is morally fucked.I don't call for beheading, just lawful stripping of private property etc.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see by your response that you are someone not worth having discussions with, so won't. Have a good day nonetheless.

Also, this is going very off topic, so I should say what I think on that article. To me it's just silly words, and won't happen. A distraction from what's going on right now.

It's gone off topic because you're caping for a ludicrous artifact of 12th century feudal systems. But I am sure Charles appreciates your fealty.

Back on-topic. Skip here to avoid pages of discussing the royals.
OP
OP

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TL;DR so far:
  1. Britain wants to be a prime time player globally once more by flexing their military might.
  2. Some people (including myself) are attributing this to the tendency of Brits thinking their imperial era was historically a good time. It wasnt.
  3. This resulted in some people pointing at the monarchy as another outdated notion of British exceptionalism. With Brexit ready to devestate much of the country - specifically the poor - why are we pumping money into the toys family when hundreds of thousands have died due to Tory policies.
  4. Royalists disagree for a variety of reasons.
Now that's covered, let's get back on topic.

The British Empire was especially poor to the territories. I am not sure why they think they'll be able to get a stranglehold in either Africa or Asia. The former they've specifically caused so many problems there shouldn't be an opportunity for them to ruin the country - yet here we are talking about that very possibility.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The British Empire was especially poor to the territories. I am not sure why they think they'll be able to get a stranglehold in either Africa or Asia. The former they've specifically caused so many problems there shouldn't be an opportunity for them to ruin the country - yet here we are talking about that very possibility.
The Tory fantasy of a new imperial Britain is just insane. China would crush the UK in Asia or in Africa.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
the-wall-1.jpg

"Would you like to see Britannia rule again, my friend?"

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
There will never truely be world peace because people are always greedy and want "greatness." Russia is trying to reclaim its old empire, the right wing people in Japan want to be more assertive in international relations, now Britain wants to have an empire again? Not to mention the US, which is currently the world's police, China which is looking for its place in the sun, the middle east is an eternal clusterfuck, etc. etc.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If there is a country which has no moral basis complaining about immigration is the country which spent most of its time invading other countries and forcing their culture on those.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
He's just firing up the Bulldog Brigade, doubling down on the rose tinted rhetoric.

It's that whole shortsightedness that got us into this problem in the first place, focus on tomorrow and not consider what is in the future, just make sure you are in the job tomorrow.
There may be more than that. Plenty of people in defence truly believe that the UK will somehow have to update and enlarge its forces after Brexit because GLOBAL BRITAIN and becoming a newborn superpower or something. See: Galileo.

Reliance on EU partners, budget cuts and pound devaluation will set them straight.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There may be more than that. Plenty of people in defence truly believe that the UK will somehow have to update and enlarge its forces after Brexit because GLOBAL BRITAIN and becoming a newborn superpower or something.

Reliance on EU partners, budget cuts and pound devaluation will set them straight.
Except they've been shredding number of (paid) armed forces and police numbers for years.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Except they've been shredding number of (paid) armed forces and police numbers for years.
And despite that they've been trying to recruit people to the armed forces but a variety of factors have caused weaker than expected recruitment.

- Recruitment is outsourced to Capita who spent half a dozen years replacing a website and it didn't work and lost tons of people's applications also they just suck at marketing.
- The application process takes 12+ months which gives applicants more than enough time to rethink it (or find another, better job.)
- If you hit a snag in that application process no matter how far in it you are, you often need to start again.

It's a mess with no easy fix and even the harder fixes will never be implemented because they would cut into Capita's profits.

So it doesn't really matter if MPs are like "We need a bigger army" because they can't recruit people now. This is especially true in Scotland where we have free Uni/College tuition. It's a lot harder to sell people on joining the army and risking their life in exchange for skills they can use for work later when you can just go to Uni for free (and even get a bursary to get you drunk during it.)

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Plus, well, the starting pay isn't that great. The army proudly advertise getting to 'start on over 18k', and like, I live around Salisbury Plain - y'know, the army training grounds - and 18k is not exactly going to get you comfy living around here. It's only really 'good' pay if you already don't make a lot.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Lol as if

All they're going to accomplish long term is splinter their own union, I don't see Scotland and NI wanting to be part of this shitshow

Dragonelite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You can just feel that pax Americana is declining and multiple Poles are forming.

Going back to imperialism tho seems like a waste of money. For a declining uk that will go through a very rough decade, and given the economic numbers in Europe(France and Germany are at the edge of a recession) I don't think UK will have the growing economy to do it anytime soon.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Plus, well, the starting pay isn't that great. The army proudly advertise getting to 'start on over 18k', and like, I live around Salisbury Plain - y'know, the army training grounds - and 18k is not exactly going to get you comfy living around here. It's only really 'good' pay if you already don't make a lot.

To be fair you save money if you're living on the base and control your spending at the weekend. The real money is made on tour though. You have no way to spend it, will be out there for 6 months and on double pay, so you come home to a year's wages. It gives the illusion of good pay. And tbh it does give you a solid income for that year, but at a pretty big cost

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair you save money if you're living on the base and control your spending at the weekend. The real money is made on tour though. You have no way to spend it, will be out there for 6 months and on double pay, so you come home to a year's wages. It gives the illusion of good pay. And tbh it does give you a solid income for that year, but at a pretty big cost

Yeah, I had friends in the army. Living on base with everything taken care of, you only need money for beer - doubly so on tour.
Still, it's not going to make you a load of cash and "I was in the army for the last 5 years" isn't great for a CV, unless you're doing physical labour.
The one guy I know who's living pretty well after the army got a job as a fitness coach, where being a "former Army PT instructor" is a huge selling point to middle-aged/class men trying to shed some weight or young men trying to get a six-pack to impress the ladies.

I've never hear Gavin Williamson speak until I saw that clip. He really does sound awful, like a teenager reading from a script that he hasn't studied.
I'm not sure why we need to increase our mass, it's a very odd phrase to use in a pre-written speech. Is the obesity crisis affecting his recruiting? Is he trying to claim that his dad is bigger than Xi Jinping's dad?

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Welp the new UK carrier is being sent to South China Sea. Along with the US navy for a joint mission into waters that are the subject of dispute between China and other nations.

Clay Davis

Jan 8, 2018
The portrayal of brexit in the HK media is nothing short of ridicule, when it comes up and it only tends to come up in relation to China and the upcoming tariffs. It's really very sad to see what's becoming of my home country. I had hoped to go back someday, but I feel my future is now set in stone as a nomad, at least until I find a new place to call home.

I hope everyone still in the UK will be OK and isn't too negatively impacted by this.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How do you even do this? Go around blowing you boat horn hoping countries give up their sugar or something?

The UK would lose any war.