• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This is L Thammy's evil twin that only makes low effort threads, so there will be no discussion to start us off.

Here's Veil from Pulseman.

xsk4x.jpg

EDIT: It's been mentioned in this thread that the idea of the "evil twin" trope is hurtful to actual identical twins. I had meant this to be a lighthearted and inoffensive thread, so it's concerning to me that my post did cause harm. I'd like to ask anyone reading this thread to listen and approach the subject with an open mind.

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Alastor from Viewtiful Joe. AKA the spirit of Dante's sword from DMC1 that he sold.

Also comes in a more literal doppelganger flavor.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Link from Ocarina of Time. The standard by which all others are measured.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an older example than Dark Link from Zelda 2?

Edit: lol at the OoT Dark Links above. That's a midboss, not a boss, you loons

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
9h6v8cwi5rg21.gif

The joke is that Symphony of the Night has a doppleganger boss that's literally just the player character.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
User Banned (1 week): Inflammatory comparison.
Like... you don't have to if you don't want to. Just don't post in the thread.
Let me clarify then.

As a person with an identical twin, I've had to deal with stupid "which of you is the evil twin?" micro-aggressions from young childhood. I find this entire trope to be very deeply and personally offensive. It is a shitty trope.

So i'm not going to just tolerate and ignore it any more than a black person should be expected to tolerate something racist.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Doppelgänger from DMC3.

latest

Kind of a lame boss and style but it was cool that you can use the style to play some bootleg co-op.

SEATLiens

Aug 28, 2019
Seattle
Let me clarify then.

As a person with an identical twin, I've had to deal with stupid "which of you is the evil twin?" micro-aggressions from young childhood. I find this entire trope to be very deeply and personally offensive. It is a shitty trope.

So i'm not going to just tolerate and ignore it any more than a black person should be expected to tolerate something racist.

Youre comparing "evil twin" to racism against black people????

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Let me clarify then.

Bad, bad, bad comparison....

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Antagonising another member. Prior ban for similar behaviour.
Let me clarify then.

So you're the evil one, gotcha.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018

SEATLiens

Aug 28, 2019
Seattle
Then tell me how bad I have to have it in order to complain.

Don't seriously tell me that you think prejudiced and hurtful stereotypes of twins don't exist. Or that I have no right to complain about it.

You are welcome to express how you feel about the trope but once you brought in the comparison to racism against black people you lost.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Then tell me how bad I have to have it in order to complain.

Don't seriously tell me that you think prejudiced and hurtful stereotypes of twins don't exist. Or that I have no right to complain about it.
The thread isn't even about twins in the first place:
I think you'd have a point if this thread were about evil twins as a trope, but doppelgängers are an entirely different concept.
You can complain all you want, just don't you dare equate it to racism.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Let me clarify then.

I don't think any of these examples are actually playing into the "evil twin" trope though. A doppelganger of the player character is meant to a) present a mechanical challenge by pitting the player up against a boss with a similar or identical skill set, and b) play into themes of conquering one's "dark side." It's a fun concept for action games and stories in general to play with that isn't encouraging real-world discrimination.

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
Omega from Mega Man Zero 3

latest

Doppelganger with a twist: he's got the original body, while yours is the fake.

Doppelganger from TSA
latest
The best thing about this motherfucker is his boss fight is literally JoJo trivia. He creates clones of himself that do a bunch of poses and whichever one isn't doing a JoJo pose is the real one. And because the game never tells you this most people just end up attacking randomly.

Wait, Doppelganger's clones do WHAT
I might have to go back to TSA...

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
I guess Virgil from DMC3 would count? Mechanically he acts as close to the player character as an enemy can be, and narratively he is an actual antagonistic twin.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
i sure hope your twin isn't as ignorant as you. maybe you are the evil twin.
Okay, I am the other twin. I think it is pretty poor form to label my sibling the "evil twin" right after he points out how frustrating and painful it can be to have to put up with the same fucked up "jokes" on a constant basis. I can list out a bunch of the same tired bullshit I hear literally whenever I meet someone who finds out I'm a twin. It gets old.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
In the spirit of FFIV getting rereleased:

Dark Cecil is a rad example of this thematically.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
L Thammy did SRW T include Nova from Rayearth? Cause that's my pick. Such a great use of the trope in the original anime, nice spin on the concept

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I am the other twin. I think it is pretty poor form to label my sibling the "evil twin" right after he points out how frustrating and painful it can be to have to put up with the same fucked up "jokes" on a constant basis. I can list out a bunch of the same tired bullshit I hear literally whenever I meet someone who finds out I'm a twin. It gets old.
what are your thoughts on your brothers form when he equated anti-twin rhetoric to racism

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
It would be the very beginning.

Maybe after that we could get into the gritty of how the very idea of doopelgangers is bad.
Maybe you could make your own thread for that one? "Low-effort light-hearted video game boss image thread" seems like the wrong forum to attempt to take down a several-hundred-year-old fictional construct.