• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century

Upper Brinstar, Super Metroid.

I had just moved to a new state in the US, and I didn't have any friends who played games for a while. Eventually I decided to sit with the "loser kid" at lunch, and I found out he played games too, and we became best friends for the rest of elementary school.

One of the first times I went to his house, we played through Super Metroid. It was the first time I had played the game. I fell in love with the atmosphere of this game, and I distinctly remember watching my friend play through Upper Brinstar, exploring the overgrown caverns and getting the morph ball and opening new areas with the missile expansion. It was at that moment that gaming was cemented as a social hobby for me, and I realized that I loved sharing my gaming experiences with others.

What about you?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
its not exactly my "childhood", but everytime i hear music that was licensed for Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 I can taste imitation crab meat

for some reason I played a lot of THPS3 once with a big plate of imitation crab meat i bought at walmart

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

Playing Super Mario World in my basement and eating popsicles on a hot summer day

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi

The first game my uncle got me for PS1 when I was a kid, didn't have much games back then so kept replaying same few games, man that music I was so bad at this game but after playing it so much I was breezing through it felt badass. Yippee kiyaymotherfucker

JoDa

Jan 12, 2018

I used to think a lot about my crush back in my last year of highschool while listening to this song, hearing always reminds me of her and how awkward I could be around her at times, yet it also reminds of the times I did manage to be brave and talk to her

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

It takes me back to CC's release and my early years watching my cousin play it on his PS1. I didn't have the perspective to fully appreciate the game at the time, but he was floored by just about every aspect of the game.

NinjaBandit

Jan 31, 2019

I used to listen to the JSRF soundtrack all the time haha. UNDUHSTAN, UNDUHSTAN. Just staying up in my room playing this on nights back in Junior High.

StrmSrg

Oct 26, 2017
Louisiana

Glover's water level music will always remind me of playing mediocre N64 platformers, the only games at his disposal, at my Uncle's house in Nicaragua in the sweltering summer heat with no AC.

To this day, I will put up with all sorts of not good to straight up bad platformers, especially 3d ones, because I find them comforting.

Last edited:

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer

The soundtrack to me getting used to 3D Zelda controls, finding out I could get a blue rupee if I jumped across those square stepping stones, going through the crawlspace to the Kokiri Sword, wading through grass to save up enough to buy that wooden shield, looking around in first-person at all the wispy particles in the air, and so much more.

I can hear so many sound effects when this song plays...

Oct 25, 2017

Mushroom Forest from Dream Master.

One of my all time favorite games. I played this so much as a kid. It's hard to choose a specific track but this one I definitely heard the most as it's from the first level.

Modal Soul

Oct 27, 2017

Tekken Tag brings back a moment in my life where I really, really, really started to fall in love with fighting game music. It was one of my favorite fighting games growing. There's nothing like playing something you love on a weekend during a quiet afternoon trying to beat the game on Hard.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017

It was a tense moment with 3 of my friends sleeping over, while my parents were away. We were around 11 years old, passing the controller to each other. 4 kids cooperating on a hard level, the end of a truly epic game.

Z.C

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Got me so pumped up when fighting a boss, I would always delay killing a boss, just so I could hear the music a little bit longer. Everytime I hear the track, I just remember my young self playing on a shitty little CRT TV, bumping my head up and down to this track.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017

I think I've posted this before but it definitely evokes the strongest memories of my youth. So many days spent battling either in skirmish matches against progressively harder AI, LAN with my father (who I'm pretty sure let me beat him on a few occasions) and especially the classic campaign. The second half of this song especially brings me back, something about it just screams 90s RTS', it's that feeling of sussing out your enemy and turtling up. Frank Klepacki is an incredibly under rated artist.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The first Final Fantasy game I ever played, and one of my first RPGs ever. I'll never forget the intro as you leave Baron as a kid, and I remember being so ecstatic when this music...
...played again for the final boss.

Oct 27, 2017
United States

Seared into my brain.

This and stickerbush symphony almost evoke tears from me, the nostalgia is so goddamn thick.

Takes me back to the end of middle school. For some reason, they either remind me of the thick of winter (when the game released) and me holed up in my room, sitting too close to the tv, the window, directly to my right, cold with views of snow and ice outside. They also remind me of summers, playing dkc 1-2 looking out that same window, trying to put off having to mow my lawn for the next 8 hours. Both seasons have distinct smells and temperatures to them. Its...intense.

Edit: also this one.

Last edited:

The Ummah

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Super Metroid soundtrack changed my young life. Pretty simple and plain, but the truth.