• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Batman on the speccy

y3geF-1FPoq0VRuv0u5N_-an1DfS6MsQT9uztHST4bNqLgvYXbKoSOY0sYaQ2uSXIQItnHbGN8gaj0M5JuK1lrq0rs1O8NXMEA

Deleted member 19868

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This electro-mechanical Pong clone was the first. My older brother had one so we'd play it all the time.

Vc8AXL3.jpg

First real "video game" video game was this one:

vSifsk2.png

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
71dNSZeIsoL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
DOS_01.gif

I'm not actually 100% sure it was my actual first, I know I was also playing educational stuff like Treasure Mountain around the same time, but it's the first I can remember.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
If we count arcade games, it was Pong-like, but probably not Atari's Pong. Something like this:

Y3jInWhl.jpg

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Robotron 2084, but only for a few minutes (it was my neighbor's):

2243_2.png

However, it was the second game I ever played that turned gaming into a passion for me:

snes-640x476.png

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Chip'n'Dale Rescue Rangers on NES. I played it at my friend's on his older sister's console.
chip-n-dale-rescue-rangers-nes_146673_post-1.png

I mostly remember us lifting each other up and throwing each other off a ledge after we climbed the electric pole on the first level (pictured above). Got a few game overs and a few laughs with that one. I was 5 or 6.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was this

Ultima 2 for the Apple II.

I still can hear in my head the weird sound of moving or something, like a weird screech. I played it at a local computer club for like a year, maybe one hour a month, until I saved up enough money to buy my own Apple II and buy a copy of the game for myself.

Different times too, my mom would drop me off at the club at like 6pm and pick me up at 8pm, and it was mostly a bunch of guys and maybe 1-2 kids. Nobody cared or batted an eye. That sorta thing would be impossible now, lol

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
This game was on a PC my dad bought and my first experience in computers for gaming. It lead to me searching out new games through shareware discs at Circuitcity or CompUSA whenever my dad would go there and etc.
gFuDYO3.jpg

907nkWf.gif

iE0Rb44.gif

It was this on Win 3.11 or Bio Menace / Monster Bash on DOS. It' gets a bit hazy.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember but it was one of these two. I played both of these on the first day that I played a video game.

515iV20hFmL._AC_.jpg

latest

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Telstar Pong
hqdefault.jpg

Runner up - Hunt the Wumpus
wump.png

I remember some version of this on my dad's work computer as well
Star Trek
Netrek-client-cow.png

Dec 6, 2017
US
OIP.NQcBWpg1Z78PKs2WBRdCLQHaHa

Fast Food for Atari 2600

I played it for approximately one minute as a wee little kid before becoming 100% disinterested because it sucked. After that:

OIP.WfMy-UMbKXex3EFO-1a12AHaFj

I was totally and utterly fascinated by it and made friends with a kid I hated in school just to have a shot at playing for a minute.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
latest
hqdefault.jpg

Probably this. It wasn't "arcade perfect" or even close, but it was a whole lot better than the original Atari Pacman which we also had, but since I played this one first, the OG Atari Pacman pretty much never got played.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Jesus, I don't even remember what my first game was because it was so early. I will present two candidates in terms of memories though:

First memory watching my dad play:
CI_GameAndWatch_SuperMarioBros_ChooseAWorld_CMM_big.jpg

First game I remember playing:

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
I fondly remember playing Frogger and some other computer games in my fathers office in the early 80's, and spinning around really fast in the office chairs.

That and Jungle Hunt would be the earliest games I can remember making a huge impression on me.
Frogger_game_arcade.png

1243_3.png

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
I am pretty sure that my first game was Arkanoid on my brother's ZX Spectrum, around 1987. Good times, simpler times.

WFStJ2N.jpg

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I woke up on Christmas morning 1990 to this scene from the attract mode playing on a TV near our Christmas tree. I didn't beat it until probably 5-7 years later:

teenage-mutant-ninja-9dkdp.png

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth

I couldn't find a pic, but technically this was the first I ever played. There was a cabinet in my Woolworths. I had no idea how to play as I was about 4 or 5, but I put a quarter in it and died lol.