• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvieFK8

Jun 21, 2019
Pooyan for the NES.
Pooyan_Cover.jpg

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
220px-Tetris_NES_cover_art.jpg

H2x1_GB_MetroidIIReturnOfSamus.jpg

I forgot which of the two I played first but these were the only games i got with the original Game Boy and I assume it was in this order.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London

I was definitely a tiny toddler. My dad had to lift me up to play this at the arcade. The next youngest person was 5 and more than three times my age. I remember getting it for a DOS PC a some years later. My dad used to take me to arcades and get me to play these games. Probably why I've always enjoyed shoot-em-ups.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Frogger on Atari. I was like 4 or 5 and I thought to myself "I don't need to play outside anymore."

I used to play that tank game against an older lady who would babysit me.

Oct 30, 2017
castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-sega-master-system-review.gif

castle of illusion on the Master system.
I got the MS as a Christmas present when I was 6 or 7 and remember saying that it was the best day of my life.
This would have been a couple of years before the Mega Drive and SNES released, and although my parents didn't have much money bought the system second hand with a load of games.
Sonic, Alex Kidd and Wonderboy 3 all being fond memories.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Our first family games machine was an Acetronic Colour TV Game in the early 80s, my first game would have been one of the various pong / bat and ball games as seen on the back of the box!

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
220px-Mario-Kart-64.jpg

Mario Kart 64. I was maybe 4-5 years old? I remember I couldn't get on the banana bridge because I sucked at aiming the kart, so someone always had to help me with that part. Lots of reverse driving too.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Windows 98 Pinball, on my dad's PC.

images

It's either that, or a Sonic game on my first console Sega Megadrive in the same year.

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
8ee5a66c-afef-4651-a9fqjon.gif

I dont know if it was the very first game, but stunts 3D was at least one of the very first.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
vlcsnap-2020-01-05-20h40m23s020.png

8q8UrTJ.jpg

First one I recall playing, but it might also be one of Commander Keen sharewares.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
220px-Mario-Kart-64.jpg

Mario Kart 64. I was maybe 4-5 years old? I remember I couldn't get on the banana bridge because I sucked at aiming the kart, so someone always had to help me with that part. Lots of reverse driving too.

MK64 gets a lot of flack, but it came out when I was 14 and my brother 17 and we had an absolute blast with friends round for 4 player tournaments. It might not be the best MK, but it's the closest to my heart.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
220px-MD_Sonic_the_Hedgehog.png

I have no idea if it was THE first, but Sonic 1's definitely the first I actively remember

Kato

Oct 28, 2017
======​

°
======

My first. An eternity ago. My gateway drug. No regrets.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Lauras_Happy_Adventures_Game_Cover.jpg

this game slapped but our graphics card couldn't handle it so all the characters' faces and hands (as well as several objects required for plot progression) were invisible rip

Oct 30, 2017
Barcelona
233063-showdown-in-2100-a-d-odyssey-2-screenshot-new-game-start.png

Not the very first (I don't remember which one was the first), but one of the first, and definitely the first game that I liked to the point of becoming obsessed with it.

Watch this review if you are not familiar with it.

I still see it as the masterpiece of this console's library (Magnavox Odyssey 2, Phillips Videopac in PAL territories). I wonder who owns the rights of these IPs (Phillips, I guess). My family still keeps the cartridges and hardware, but I would happily pay for a commercial compilation with some extra stuff.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Grandstand Colour TV Game of some sort, no screen shot but looked a bit like this in action:

Code:
1                   0
          | 
          | 
          |    .    |
|         | 
          |

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I genuinely don't recall but it was a ZX Spectrum game so Jet Set Willy or the like. Daley Thompson Decathlon maybe? Willow Pattern? Uridium? Now I am just naming ZX Spectrum games I played but which was first I have no clue.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Table Tennis on the Magnavox Oddyssey in the mid 1970's.

It's a Pong clone.

My parents kept it upstairs in the attic with a tiny B&W TV that my brother and I would play each other on.

FrsDvl

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could remember this..

I want to say it was probably something from Apogee on the PC. They made some great games! But it could've been Mario on the NES.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
It was either Battle City, Galaxian or some Mario romhack where you couldn't be killed by enemies once you had the mushroom.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So many youngsters in this thread, lol!

Here's a brief thread on mine:-

www.resetera.com

VLTTP: Granny's Garden

Inspired by random threads over time (like "what's the longest time it's taken you to beat a game?") and a throwaway comment/question on the Giant Bombcast I got interested in this old BBC game. It launched in 1983 and I probably "played" it around then..probably 1984 or something like that...

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
shuHHqy.jpg

Legend of Kage for Famicom

I can't say for sure if I played it myself, since I was quite young, but I don't even have memories before being around video games, and this is the earliest one I remember seeing.

Our neighbours had this on an actual Famicom system and my older sibling and their friend would play it.