• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even if the answer is obvious to them, asking the hospital if they're gonna fuck you over and possibly expose you to COVID-19 is fair

Oct 31, 2017
OP take the kidney, get some control of your life back. Being hooked up to a machine a couple of times per week for several hours your life is literally on hold.
For the first several weeks you will be at home mainly recovering or at Drs appointments getting follow-up tests done. Just have a blanket rule that no one comes over.
There was a case in China i was reading about a patient who also had a kidney transplant and got COVID-19, the Drs changed his meds, monitored the patient very carefully and he was fine.
If you don't mind me asking why are you on dialysis?
I also have kidney issues (Iga Nephropathy), not on transplant list and i am also worried.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
OP take the kidney, get some control of your life back. Being hooked up to a machine a couple of times per week for several hours your life is literally on hold.
For the first several weeks you will be at home mainly recovering or at Drs appointments getting follow-up tests done. Just have a blanket rule that no one comes over.
There was a case in China i was reading about a patient who also had a kidney transplant and got COVID-19, the Drs changed his meds, monitored the patient very carefully and he was fine.
I also have kidney issues (Iga Nephropathy), not on transplant list and i am also worried.

If you had something like AKI, you have no recourse other than dialysis right? That's what happened to my friend. (Early thirties).

OP
OP

Deleted member 45773

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 10, 2018
Alport Syndrome, it's a rare genetic kidney disease. Along with kidney failure, I also suffered mild to moderate hearing loss and initially had some vision loss (vision came back).

Can you link that story about the transplant recipient in China if you can find it? I'm curious about that

Pumpkins

Feb 16, 2020
Take the kidney, go home, isolate and rest. You will already need to rest post-surgery so it's a win win.

Pumpkins

Feb 16, 2020
Thanks to everyone who responded, even to those who think I'm insane lol, maybe I'm not thinking straight. I said yes, but I'm scared as hell. I'll know in the next 12 hours or so whether I get the kidney or not.

It's a pretty scary time right now, and being cautious about something this life changing is understandable.

I hope this improves your quality of life. Congratulations :)

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
You said it yourself, another chance at a kidney doesn't come up everyday so you should take it while you still can. After that, take extreme caution in regards to your health and cleanliness until this virus shit blows over.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would take the kidney. I'm only guessing, but I imagine my chances of dying from kidney failure are higher than dying of coronavirus.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Just got a call back, I'm set for surgery tomorrow, thanks everybody!

I'm sure you've been prepared for this scenario but I can't imagine mentally how I would deal with "hey we have an organ for you, show up tomorrow morning for it!" Like even thinking about the things that I would need to have taken care of before the surgery, let alone any mental preparation in that short of time seems daunting.

Best of luck for tomorrow!

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'd take the kidney. Living the rest of your life on dialysis sounds worse, and less viable, than living the rest of your life with a weakened immune system.

Even with the risk of things like coronavirus, I'd take the kidney and just hole up somewhere afterwards.

Edit: Oh, just saw the update. Good luck! Hope everything goes well.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I'd take it 100%. The pandemic will pass, your need for a kidney will not

edit: whoops, saw that you made up your mind already. Godspeed and wishing you a speedy recovery

Oct 27, 2017
Well, there's not much debate here lol. I should also note, I've already told the hospital yes, and I'm officially the backup option. My concern is taking the anti-rejection drugs with COVID-19 going around.

Right now, my fingers are just crossed that I can become the primary recipient.
The right choice and good luck!

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck! Just make sure you're super tight on the self isolation once you're back home. Every possible measure.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
Congratulations on your new kidney, keep this thread updated so we can all follow your progress

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Just got a call back, I'm set for surgery tomorrow, thanks everybody!

Amazing! Good luck! You'll be fine. This is what you've been waiting for. I hope you can fight your anxiety and find excitement in the possibility of success. Let us know how it goes when you can. :)

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats dude! I hope you have an easy recovery and enjoy your new kidney :)

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats OP and good luck. Maybe when you get out of the hospital, start wearing a N95 Mask whenever you have to go out in public? See if the hospital can hook you up with some masks.

Aug 2, 2018
Thanks to everyone who responded, even to those who think I'm insane lol, maybe I'm not thinking straight. I said yes, but I'm scared as hell. I'll know in the next 12 hours or so whether I get the kidney or not.
Good decision! Hey can you please describe what it's like living on dialysis? I have polycycstic kidney disease but luckily I haven't had any problems so far but expect them to fail possibly within the next 5 to10 years. Just curious how bad it affects your everyday life.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
So I'm in quite a conundrum right now, I'll start with some background first.

Almost 4 years ago, my kidneys failed and I've been on dialysis ever since while I wait on the kidney transplant list. As some of you may know, after a person receives a kidney transplant, they have to take immunosuppressive drugs (aka anti-rejection drugs) to stop their body from attacking and rejecting the new foreign kidney. This weakens your immune system and makes you susceptible to infections, diseases, or viruses, like COVID-19.

Earlier today, I finally received the phone call I've been waiting for, the hospital has a donor for me who's kidney is a match. Nothing is concrete yet, as I'm currently the backup option. If anything goes wrong with the person in front of me, or they deny receiving the kidney, I become the primary recipient. The last I heard a few hours ago was that the hospital was trying to get in contact with this person.

My conundrum, as you probably guessed, is if I become the primary recipient, do I want to take this kidney while there's a global pandemic? If I say no, I continue with kidney failure and have no idea when another offer will come along. If I say yes, I face the possibility of getting COVID-19 with a weak immune system and likely death. I'm not asking any of you what I should do, but just for you thoughts and maybe what you do in this situation.

PS. Over the last 4 years, I learned that many people misunderstand how kidney transplant lists works. It's not like you're number 13 or 14 on an actual "list" and you move up.

The way it works is that whenever the hospital gets a donor or kidney, they line up the 2 or 3 best recipients and give those people offers. So I can't say no, and expect another offer tomorrow or anything.

This is also my first thread, hell of a topic huh?

As someone with stage IV kidney failure, I'm super happy that you move forward and did it!

Surgery was successful
OP
OP

Deleted member 45773

Banned
Jul 10, 2018
Just wanted to update everyone, the surgery was successful and the kidney is functioning as expected. I had to get a second procedure done because there was some internal bleeding around the incision area, right now I'm just recovering from the pain, I have a drainage like tube attached to my kidney for any leaks and that's causing me a lot of pain. But I expect to better in a few days, I'm not sure when I'll be discharged, there's a LOT going on with COVID-19, so that's being monitored as well.

Thanks for all your kind words and thoughts though!

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just wanted to update everyone, the surgery was successful and the kidney is functioning as expected. I had to get a second procedure done because there was some internal bleeding around the incision area, right now I'm just recovering from the pain, I have a drainage like tube attached to my kidney for any leaks and that's causing me a lot of pain. But I expect to better in a few days, I'm not sure when I'll be discharged, there's a LOT going on with COVID-19, so that's being monitored as well.

Thanks for all your kind words and thoughts though!

Congratulations!