• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Yup yup. I would happily sacrifice massive maps for more destruction. Dice chasing bigger and bigger maps and loosing the more visceral destruction is bad.

Dice purposely toned down the destruction because maps in BC2 were devolving into open fields. Way easier to balance a map where certain landmarks will always be there.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dice purposely toned down the destruction because maps in BC2 were devolving into open fields. Way easier to balance a map where certain landmarks will always be there.
I can understand that but having the ending of matches being a terrifying hellscape, barren of cover, made everything feel so much better. Maybe they will just add more of the building stuff from BFV into the new one.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I also want them to go back to making maps that aren't used for all gameplay types. BC2 had some rush only maps and holy shit it was amazing for it. Absolutely adored Isla Inocentes being rush only. It was built great for it.

BC 2 is game designed around Rush, CQ plays very badly on those maps because how maps are designed with chokepoints in mind.

I think people have nostalgia glasses on with BC 2. It was chaotic fun, but man even back then stuff like destruction got more jarring than fun as game got older. Having no cover and elevation through buildings got so old.

I can understand that but having the ending of matches being a terrifying hellscape, barren of cover, made everything feel so much better. Maybe they will just add more of the building stuff from BFV into the new one.

It was "better" only if you were in tank or attack helo, farming super easy KDR from coverless fields. Basically BFV bombers before their time.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
If they can go back to actual good destruction that was in BC2, then that would be great as well. I remember Lancang Dam when BF4 came out...

There was a reason DICE didnt go back to the full scale destruction of BC2. Maps in late match were almost unplayable due to the lack of cover because everything was destroyed.

I remember Oasis from BC1 and BC2 where in Rush the first few objective locations were just flat without a single piece of cover after a few minutes.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
We're back, baby!

b935d8af80051e78f095a7b2028b8475.gif

6ckFE5.gif

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm entirely wrong about this, in the press and features leading up to the BC2 release, didn't they say you could basically drill a hole in a wall and shoot through the small hole at someone inside? Am I imagining this?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I remember Oasis from BC1 and BC2 where in Rush the first few objective locations were just flat without a single piece of cover after a few minutes.

On certain maps you could just use RPG's and tanks to snipe MCOM's from cover of attacker spawn, defender couldn't do anything to stop it.

Good times.

There's a happy middle-ground somewhere.

I think BFV starts to be there. Destruction is far more dynamic then back in BC2 days, but you can still render most of buildings worthless for cover while there is some hard cover in all maps that is always viable.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
This. put more small cover around the maps. let everything else be dynamic

small cover scattered around wont make tanks camping on hills and sniping across the map any better.
BF4 also had some very bad maps when it comes to balancing. Golmud Railway was a nightmare for infantry because most of the map was flat fields with a few rocks which didnt protect you from Tanks, Choppers or any other type of armed vehicles.

They probably thought making vehicle focussed maps and seperate infantrey focussed maps like Flood Zone. But there still needs to be some kind of balance.

Especially since most servers had fast vehicle spanws and you had over half of the team being in a vehicle.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Destruction lovers should seriously give Rainbow Six: Siege a try. Totally different type of game than Battlefield, but it really delivers on the emergent destruction gameplay that people often fantasize about. Half of the gameplay is knowing the maps and using the dynamic destruction to your advantage.

Individual bullet holes let you see through walls, and you can do things like blowing up the floor from below to kill people above you.

Jul 18, 2018
Sandstorm fights in BF4 and BF1 were loads of fun. I'm hoping we get a lot more weather related disturbances in the game

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
There was a reason DICE didnt go back to the full scale destruction of BC2. Maps in late match were almost unplayable due to the lack of cover because everything was destroyed.

On certain maps you could just use RPG's and tanks to snipe MCOM's from cover of attacker spawn, defender couldn't do anything to stop it.

Good times.

I think BFV starts to be there. Destruction is far more dynamic then back in BC2 days, but you can still render most of buildings worthless for cover while there is some hard cover in all maps that is always viable.

People always block this out when being nostalgic about BC2.

Here's your rose tinted goggles, the only cover you'll have once the helicopter that's almost impossible to shoot down gets in the air, until you get sniped by the one hit sniper, unless you have the juggernaut perk, which might be canceled out by their damage perk.

GOOD TIMES

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
define futuristic. using the same tec available today ( in a more adopted way) isnt that futuristic to me personally.
Usually it means modern tech but with some more experimental military stuff thrown in. Still grounded in reality but with some more weird stuff, just short of laser guns.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
If it was bad quality screen we still could tell propellers from artifacting.

I think....
1) Internal video is legit old and new design is jet engine based
OR
2) Bug causes them no to render at all

I would go with 2).
Seeing that the other vehicles are all rather authentic to their real life counterparts I dont think they would change it to jet engines. imo wouldnt fit. but thats just my opinion

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Sigh, and here I am. After loving BFV but dissapointed in that it failed to deliver the promise of an evolving war, telling to myself that I wouldn't fall into Battlefield's hype cycle, falling again into the hype cycle

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh, and here I am. After loving BFV but dissapointed in that it failed to deliver the promise of an evolving war, telling to myself that I wouldn't fall into Battlefield's hype cycle, falling again into the hype cycle
The Battlefield Survivor's Support Group is here for you. Remember the tenets. Battlefield games are great, and are easy to return to. New Battlefield is always welcome. If at any time you need to disconnect from Battlefield, just remember, Battlefield is always there for you.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's modern? Oh hell yeah.

BF3 one of my all time favorite multiplayer experiences.

Riding shotgun in a heli with a crazy good pilot, getting shot at from rooftops, ducking under bridges, watching various skirmishes happening across the map… remembering that it was all human players, no AI.

SO ready for more of that. Bring back Caspian Border!

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I agree with this. Not to mention sometimes you need an open battlefield for some of the larger tank and plane matches. Otherwise you end up with infantry being butchered in a narrow bottleneck by a handful of excellent pilots who dominate the skies. We saw this in both 1 and 5 becoming an overwhleming issue on some maps until tweaked appropriately. Not to mention modern tanks and vehicles are fast, and you need some open space to give that illusion of speed.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
seeing that helo gave me feels. even though i play mainly infantry and never fly myself, i would always dread when there was a helo nearby. lets bring that shit back baby.

AYF 001

Oct 28, 2017
So ready for next-gen large-scale combined-arms battles! Hope we get to see all that and more next week.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ughhhhh this might be my most hyped game of 2021. I need more moden Battlefield with an active playerbase. BF1 and BFV were just too different from 4.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
Unless these shots are from like a year or more ago, do not expect the rendering set up to change dramatically if the game is coming out this year. 'Alpha' and 'Beta' statuses can mean different things to different teams and don't really mean much on their own.
If you ever actually attended a Battlefield alpha test then you should know what that entails. Because a ton of people have and can tell the SS's look very "alpha".

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
define futuristic. using the same tec available today ( in a more adopted way) isnt that futuristic to me personally.
BF6 is going for a realistic 10 to 20 years in the future setting. in that setting, the military doesnt suddenly have laser rifles and weird looking aircraft and hovercars. A futuristic military setting is always going to be way less advanced then what you might think

Its gonna use bleeding edge tech from current day but then have it way more adopted as you mentioned.

BF6 was never confirmed to have a sci fi futuristic setting.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god what is it with DICE and failing to make good mini maps just wow. Also based on the screenshots... unlimited vehicle ammo again yay DICE for not learning!

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Im looking forward to this game more than any other this year. With every DICE studio behind it we should be in for an amazing ride. Im gonna allow myself to be hopeful that EA delivers.