• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
I've been desperate for even the slightest confirmation of a possibility of life on another planet and even if it's just microbes I am SO pumped.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's addressed in whatever paper they have, but did they rule out possible Earth side detection of phosphine?

From what I've read in the original article thus far, they both measured their instruments against the baselines of other telescopes, but also other known points of reference both on Venus and elsewhere. Stuff like the deuterated water there - they got that to match, so that even with abnormalities on Earth, those would be basically included in the baseline, and any further deviation would come of what they get on Venus.

I think. It's admittedly tough for me to parse

Jun 19, 2020
It is, this is the pic we have of the surface from the Soviet probe

wm7fc7vebbb01.jpg

But we have some microbes that are tough as nails even on Earth, so nothing is impossible

Also it's pretty established that Venus used to have water Oceans that evaporated due to a runaway greenhouse effect, so if there's life on Venus it could be a remnant of a time when it was more hospitable
This picture is realy awesome! But the probe didnt survive more than a couple of minutes.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Can you imagine being one of the poor guys at NASA looking for life on Mars when it turns out they should have been looking on Venus this whole time?

And then we find life on Europa and Enceladus and everywhere else except Mars.

Mars was always a deception by the Venus cloudlizards disguised as people, infiltrated to the highest levels of our governments

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Did I miss the stream? It's 4.27 UK time and the link in the OP is just a 4 min clip

Edit: Found it, my bad

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually pretty disappointed with this discovery. Venus was the prime candidate for terrforming. If there's life there I can't see that happening.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually pretty disappointed with this discovery. Venus was the prime candidate for terrforming. If there's life there I can't see that happening.
Do we even know how to reverse a greenhouse effect? I figured Mars would be a better candidate since we know how to heat a planet up. My vision of Venus colonization would be floating cities in that same part of the atmosphere that could contain life.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
We'd have to test how well Earth and Venetian organisms get along. If they're from the same genesis event, then it could go quite well, but if life evolved on Venus independently, then the results may not look too good...

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
The article, by the way:
www.nature.com

Phosphine gas in the cloud decks of Venus - Nature Astronomy

The detection of ~20 ppb of phosphine in Venus clouds by observations in the millimetre-wavelength range from JCMT and ALMA is puzzling, because according to our knowledge of Venus, no phosphine should be there. As the most plausible formation paths do not work, the source could be unknown...

It's free to access for today

Thanks for the link!

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
the embargo was broken, there were news articles already explaining what it was

and then it was still followed with pages of 'what if they found single celled organisms!'
Oh I see, thank you. Watching the press briefing, they did point out that they are not claiming to have found life.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Also, a simple table of possible methods of production and why they may or may not work:
mGpZ5vz.png

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Do the means exist currently to get a sample?
Not back to Earth. It may be possible for a balloon probe to gather samples and do in-situ analysis.

None of the planets or moons in the solar system are really suitable for terraforming. They're too different to Earth in too many ways that would require vast amounts of time and resources to change. Those resources would be better devoted to space-based habitats. The discovery of life on Venus, if confirmed, would change the argument against terraforming from an economic one to a moral one, but terraforming is losing that argument either way.

We'd have to test how well Earth and Venetian organisms get along. If they're from the same genesis event, then it could go quite well, but if life evolved on Venus independently, then the results may not look too good...
Well...if we decided to terraform Venus then these microbes, if they exist now, are dead. Terraforming would destroy their environment. If they somehow survived that as per this press briefing, to produce the amount of phosphine they do, they'd have a peak efficiency of ~10% of Earth-based organisms. They'd be out-competed very badly by Earth-originated life.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Tell Trump and co that the cure for covid is in there so NASA can get more funding lol.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Would that not be Mars or some of the gas giants' moons? I've never heard about Venus being a prime candidate for terraforming, it seems far too hostile.

Fake edit: Yep:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming said:
Mars is usually considered to be the most likely candidate for terraforming. Much study has been done concerning the possibility of heating the planet and altering its atmosphere, and NASA has even hosted debates on the subject.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
After seeing it in the morning sky I was thinking this morning how wild it is that we have images of the surface of Venus:
img.jpg

It seems like with the advances we've made in materials science, we should be able to assemble something (ceramics? carbon fiber?) that could survive the trip to the surface and run for more than an hour or two. That would be high up on my personal list of space missions that we should do next.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
The article, by the way:
www.nature.com

Phosphine gas in the cloud decks of Venus - Nature Astronomy

The detection of ~20 ppb of phosphine in Venus clouds by observations in the millimetre-wavelength range from JCMT and ALMA is puzzling, because according to our knowledge of Venus, no phosphine should be there. As the most plausible formation paths do not work, the source could be unknown...

It's free to access for today
I'm glad they did this so I didn't have to go to my work computer to access it lol
Oh I see, thank you. Watching the press briefing, they did point out that they are not claiming to have found life.
Yeah I kind of came off as a dick, but it was just kind of funny to see.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Do you guys think the actual reveal needs another thread? This is some pretty huge news, to be honest.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We're focusing on the wrong planet to explore! /s kinda
I mean, Mars is really fucking boring. It's a cold ball of dirt without a magnetic field, much of an atmosphere, and any possibility of life. Only reason people are obsessed by it is that they want to spend 8 months ferrying some unlucky bastards there to plant a flag in the toxic soil.

Even before this phosphine discovery, Venus was way more interesting.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Mars is really fucking boring. It's a cold ball of dirt without a magnetic field, much of an atmosphere, and any possibility of life. Only reason people are obsessed by it is that they want to spend 2 years ferrying some unlucky bastards there to plant a flag in the toxic soil.

Even before this phosphine discovery, Venus was way more interesting.
Mars has liquid water below the surface though, and the changing seasonal methane levels point to potential signs of life as well.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
en.m.wikipedia.org

Phosphine - Wikipedia

it's a phosphorus with three hydrogens

our current understanding is it would be unlikely to have been made with processes we know of in the quantity they found other than if life was present

edit this very recently added part of that article explains it pretty well

"It is also found in Jupiter's turbulent atmosphere where it forms in the planet's hot interior and reacts with other compounds in the upper atmosphere.[16] The abiotic synthesis of phosphine takes enormous amounts of energy, such as in the planet-sized convective storms of gas giants.[17] Phosphine has also been detected in the atmosphere of Venus and its origin is currently unexplained—with the paper announcing the discovery suggesting that the phosphine "could originate from unknown photochemistry or geochemistry, or, by analogy with biological production of PH3 on Earth, from the presence of life".[18][19][20]"

2nd edit: that's basically just the abstract lol

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
New Timeline:

- September: Discover Microorganism
- February 2021: President Biden request Probe to enter atmosphere to study Microorganisms.
- March 2021: Probe leaves earth for travel to Venus. 15 month wait time.
- July 2022: Probe arrives and study Microorganisms.
- November 2022: Discovers that Microorganisms can be processed to attack different diseases for mankind, including AIDS and Cancer and is brought back to earth by the probe.
- May 2025: After multiple testing, they finally create an cure-all drug from processing the Microorganisms. Microorganisms can now be processed on earth in private locations.

Let me help fix this timeline:

- July 2025: Pharmaceutical companies experimenting with the virus discover that if processed, via a combination of other chemicals, into a fine grain the microorganism can be inhaled producing stimulating effects on human consciousness.
- August: 2025: Drug leaked to public by insiders and are sold underground for $5K to the public.
- September 2025: New Manufacture process allows the Microorganisms to be grown and processed on Earth by underground techs around the word. The new processed grain version of the microorganism is known on the street as "Spice" or "Melange."
-November 2025: Consistent users of the spice learn that it not only unlocks further cognitive functions but that the spice also appears to slow the effects of cellular decay, in addition to enhancing various body parts(speed, vision..etc). Predictions exist that the spice could extend life for humans by 200+ years.
- February 2026: Spice users notice that the drug apparently has an addictive quality, those who quit taking the spice suffer withdrawal and eventually death. Long-term users of the spice not that it turns the color of the entire eye blue. Demands are made for further spice production requiring large scale extraction of the microorganism directly from the atmosphere of Venus. Lab production of the spice is determined to be inefficient and not nearly as effective as the raw source found on Venus.
- November 2026: The first spice miners are sent to Venus as spice withdrawal continues to kill large portions of the population addicted to the Melange. These miners utilize robotics and protective suits to mine the microorganism from Venus' atmosphere. Further research is devoted to terraforming Venus such that it is at least hospitable for human travel and safer mining from its surface as opposed to atmospherics stations.
- March 2028: Atmospheric condensers have been assembled on Venus and have begun terraforming the planet for safer mining, careful not to disturb the precise environment that allows for the growth of the microrganism.
- September 2028: Spice miners are able to extract microorganism for the first time while on the surface of Venus. As they begin their first extraction, mild tremors are felt beneath their feet.
- October 2028: The first surface Venus Spice Miners go missing. The last radio transmission are as follows:

"Do you feel that?"
"Roger, some sort of tectonic shift?"
"It's growing."
"What is that?!"
"My GOD! It looks like some kind of...worm."
"ARGGGHHH"

*END TRANSMISSION*

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Let me help fix this timeline:

- July 2025: Pharmaceutical companies experimenting with the virus discover that if processed, via a combination of other chemicals, into a fine grain the microorganism can be inhaled producing stimulating effects on human consciousness.
- August: 2025: Drug leaked to public by insiders and are sold underground for $5K to the public.
- September 2025: New Manufacture process allows the Microorganisms to be grown and processed on Earth by underground techs around the word. The new processed grain version of the microorganism is known on the street as "Spice" or "Melange."
-November 2025: Consistent users of the spice learn that it not only unlocks further cognitive functions but that the spice also appears to slow the effects of cellular decay, in addition to enhancing various body parts(speed, vision..etc). Predictions exist that the spice could extend life for humans by 200+ years.
- February 2026: Spice users notice that the drug apparently has an addictive quality, those who quit taking the spice suffer withdrawal and eventually death. Long-term users of the spice not that it turns the color of the entire eye blue. Demands are made for further spice production requiring large scale extraction of the microorganism directly from the atmosphere of Venus. Lab production of the spice is determined to be inefficient and not nearly as effective as the raw source found on Venus.
- November 2026: The first spice miners are sent to Venus as spice withdrawal continues to kill large portions of the population addicted to the Melange. These miners utilize robotics and protective suits to mine the microorganism from Venus' atmosphere. Further research is devoted to terraforming Venus such that it is at least hospitable for human travel and safer mining from its surface as opposed to atmospherics stations.
- March 2028: Atmospheric condensers have been assembled on Venus and have begun terraforming the planet for safer mining, careful not to disturb the precise environment that allows for the growth of the microrganism.
- September 2028: Spice miners are able to extract microorganism for the first time while on the surface of Venus. As they begin their first extraction, mild tremors are felt beneath their feet.
- October 2028: The first surface Venus Spice Miners go missing. The last radio transmission are as follows:

"Do you feel that?"
"Roger, some sort of tectonic shift?"
"It's growing."
"What is that?!"
"My GOD! It looks like some kind of...worm."
"ARGGGHHH"

*END TRANSMISSION*

LOL, spice worms...

I see your a man of culture as well...

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
en.m.wikipedia.org

Phosphine - Wikipedia

it's a phosphorus with three hydrogens

our current understanding is it would be unlikely to have been made with processes we know of in the quantity they found other than if life was present

edit this very recently added part of that article explains it pretty well

"It is also found in Jupiter's turbulent atmosphere where it forms in the planet's hot interior and reacts with other compounds in the upper atmosphere.[16] The abiotic synthesis of phosphine takes enormous amounts of energy, such as in the planet-sized convective storms of gas giants.[17] Phosphine has also been detected in the atmosphere of Venus and its origin is currently unexplained—with the paper announcing the discovery suggesting that the phosphine "could originate from unknown photochemistry or geochemistry, or, by analogy with biological production of PH3 on Earth, from the presence of life".[18][19][20]"

2nd edit: that's basically just the abstract lol

Yeah, they discussed the comparison with Jupiter in the stream - Jupiter is way larger, and the atmosphere is under far greater pressure. Too much so for anywhere on Venus to match without some immense shenanigans involved.