• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What does P5R stands for?

• Persona 5 Racing All Night

Votes: 76 26.5%
  • Persona 5 Return of Teddie

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Persona 5 RSteak

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • Metroid Prime 4

Votes: 119 41.5%
  • Shinjiro was the best Persona character and here's my 250 pages long essay about why.

Votes: 31 10.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Vita sold less in its life than Switch did its first year, the writing was on the wall when Sony basically abandoned it after launch. Hell the Vita was the first system I ever sold as an adult (and later re bought when I became a heavier collector). Nintendo fought back early with 3DS and it was the sequel to the DS, it was the obvious victor to anyone with common sense.

Keep in mind, I'm of the opinion these games should always be multi platform, so I have no desire for Persona fans to be slighted, I just understand the business sense of it. It also won't surprise me if this is 'exclusive' and then a bit later gets a PS4/PC port, etc.

I'm actually curious how many people on this forum own a PS4, Persona, and don't intend to own a Switch, I actually would have assumed that was not typical.
I also agree that games should always be multiplatform and also please understand that I have no stake in this if it is exclusive because I am getting this on Switch either way. I say this as someone who beat P5 twice on my PS4. That being said, I strongly disagree with your point on the Vita because the writing was not on the wall. 6 months (the time between the vita releasing and P4 Golden coming out) was far too early for the writing being on the wall. The situation is just not comparable.

As far as business sense goes, I can wrap my head around that. I just don't think the Vita or previous Persona's releasing only on handhelds is a good comparison for the situation we are in right now. I get why people would be upset if it is exclusive.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
Look at the dates on these posts:
https:///rumor-persona-5-coming-to-nintendo-switch-in-2019/ (December 6)
https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/status/1073998905589882886?s=20 (December 15)

and then compare it with when P5R moved onto dedicated servers (December 25)

I think you know what you are talking about. There's no way you could have guessed P5R's website getting updated in that amount of time. Some people might be cautious because the timing is so close to Joker's Smash reveal.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the enhanced game will probably skip PS4 if MysticDistance is right.
this forum is going to explode.
tenor.gif

logash

Oct 27, 2017
As long Persona 6 is on PS4/5, I'm good. Let the Switch owners eat.
I'd be happier if it is on Switch day one too. I'm dumb enough to buy both the PS5 and the Switch version too. Come on Atlus, you got a bunch of suckers like me willing to double dip on a simultaneous release.
This is also a safe bet. I could see it being Switch/PS5 but only if the release is after PS4 is long dead.
I could see it being PS4/Switch if the PS5 is Backward compatible. Think about it, they got a perfectly good engine that will look good on Switch and PS4 and PS4 + PS5 will have a massive install base.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I've been telling people nonstop ever since this came out that people should NOT be surprised if it turns out to be Switch exclusive. Don't be surprised! If you're a PS4 only Persona fan it sucks, but luckily I own a PS4 and Switch so I won't even get mad when it gets revealed!

I have both but I would still be upset. I don't want the lowest quality version of a game, that's precisely why I have multiple platforms lol

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I assumed if it was Switch exclusive they would have announced it with the Smash announcement but I guess Atlus is gonna Atlus.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if lowest quality is fair.

Theres a PS3 version and The Switch is a lil better than that at least, isn't it?

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Not very well from what I heard. Regardless it'll be worse than ps4 and that's all that matters to me. I haven't had a ps3 in ~5 years.
Maybe. You never know. The PS3 version of P5 has a screen tear problem and it runs in 720p but the framerate is a pretty solid 30 FPS. The Switch is significantly more powerful than the PS3 so I can see them bumping the resolution to 1080p on TV mode and fixing the screen tear problem pretty much lining it up with the PS4 version.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Not very well from what I heard. Regardless it'll be worse than ps4 and that's all that matters to me. I haven't had a ps3 in ~5 years.

Eh, it runs 720p/30 FPS. The main difference between PS4 and PS3 is higher resolution and higher bit-rate video and very few texture enhancements. Persona 5 runs at 30fps on PS4. Remember, Persona 5 is a PS3 port to PS4 not the other way around.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could see it being PS4/Switch if the PS5 is Backward compatible. Think about it, they got a perfectly good engine that will look good on Switch and PS4 and PS4 + PS5 will have a massive install base.
I'm thinking they're gonna ditch the Persona engine for Unreal. the fact that SMT5 is on it and not the Persona engine feels telling to me. all the benefits with none of the effort in upkeep

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if lowest quality is fair.

Theres a PS3 version and The Switch is a lil better than tha at least, isn't it?
The Switch is a good amount more capable than the PS3 and, even then, there's an almost negligible difference between the PS3 and PS4 version for the vast majority of people, save for resolution. The Switch version will be more than fine and shouldn't have any notable differences from the PS4 version. I'd imagine even the resolution would get a nice bump to 1080p in docked mode

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Persona 3 Portable never got a PS2 release and P4G didn't get a PS2 release for obvious reasons, but then it also wasn't ported to PS3 either.

Persona 5's situation is a bit different, and to me it makes absolutely no sense to skip PS4 for an enhanced release as the platform is still viable, but it's Atlas lol

Sign me up though, depending on what the enhancements are. I want to do a second playthrough at some point in 2019.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it skips PS4, that's kind of shitty. I want it on Switch, but I don't want it only on Switch, it should come to both systems.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I always thought the P3 protagonist was the weirdo of the three, P4 anime showed me the error of my ways.

Do... do... do you NOT know their canon names? You don't hafta refer to them as "P3 protag" and "P4 protag". Like... like... are you for real?

giphy.gif

Hahahah just kidding. Yeah, the main leads all have their own quirky personality.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Watch them announce Persona 3/4 VC as Switch exclusives also, then there will be a riot.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
If it's Switch exclusive then that's really shitty. I thankfully own a Switch so it wouldn't really impact me personally, but I'm sure there's plenty of people who played the original who would love to play an enhanced version but don't own a Switch.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look, I just want a Persona 5 expansion. I would like it on Switch, but I will take an iOS exclusive release if I have to. Just put it out.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never even played P3P or P4G because I've not had any PS portables so it'd be nice to see them re-released on anything.
Yeah, those are fantastic games more people need to play. I want them re-released, for Switch, yes, but also PS4.

Those were also years later, the most comparable would be FES which was on the same system
Technically this is also 3 years after the original release.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
My 90 hour P5 playthrough was on the PS3.

Aside from a few hiccups here and there, it was a solid 30fps.

IQ was fucking awful though but no surprises there.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Exclusivity would only serve for marketing purposes. Get people all hyped up for the Joker release in Smash, and treat Switch owners with the actual Persona 5 game. People would have to double dip regardless, since there is no way Atlus would release extra content/expansion as DLC. So if it's all true, PS4 only owners that wish to experience the new content are out of luck.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
If its going to be as far away as September, probably just going to say "fuck it" and finally start the PS4 version.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Actually I take back what I said about the IQ. Looking at a few screenshots I took, the textures and aliasing is pretty bad but it isn't THAT bad. It'd look nice in handheld mode on the Switch.

Persona_5_100.png

Persona_5_102.png

Persona_5_87.png

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
If it's Switch exclusive then that's really shitty. I thankfully own a Switch so it wouldn't really impact me personally, but I'm sure there's plenty of people who played the original who would love to play an enhanced version but don't own a Switch.

I mean...P4G was a psvita exclusive and switch already doubled its lifetime sales right now

if people really want to play it, there are plenty of switches in the shelves :P

Status
Not open for further replies.