• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 4, 2018

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Surprised about SC6 myself. Seeing it on sale for $20 so frequently made me think it was a bomba.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ace Combat 7 deserves more attention. Nice to see it did well.

I wish the Soul Calibur character creation had been less the bust though. Still, good game.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Good, good. Bring on more Ace Combat and Soul Calibur. My body needs more Strangereal.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah!

Go Ace Combat, so happy it did well, I love this series.

Now make a new Ridge Racer, now that Kei Nagase is back her sister Reiko needs to come back as well!

Oct 27, 2017
Ace Combat 7 is definitely one of the best games this year. Happy it is successful.

It is crazy how well made the game was in just one year.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit soul calibur sold well?? Wow, very nice. Bring on the next one with bigger budget. In fact, bring on the sequel to all of these please.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Good to hear. SC6 and Ace Combat aren't really my types of games but I'm glad they did well. It's a good sign for where the market is at right now, especially in regards to semi-niche japanese games.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I'm glad SC6 did well even if I am unhappy with the how the game. Not that it's bad, I just wish the fighting system had been rethought a little bit. Hopefully this gives the franchise a future.

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
I'm so glad about it.

SC6 and AC7 are really a breath of fresh air in variety that this gen needed.
I loved both games!

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jump Force being successful pisses me off a lot more than it should. I guess arena fighters won't ever get a chance to be taken seriously in the west if this trash sells.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Good, AC7 deserves to be rewarded.

Hope Ridge Racer isn't too far behind.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Wasted Potential" is what everybody describes Jump Force to be. It should have made money on the name alone but you think JF2 is inevitable even with this reception ?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am surprised that Soul Calibur 6 and Jump Force were a success. Good for them!
Jump Force has held top ten best selling games of the year in NPD for several months now. Shouldn't be too surprising.

"Wasted Potential" is what everybody describes Jump Force to be. It should have made money on the name alone but you think JF2 is inevitable even with this reception ?
A lot of people in that "everybody" are like Era aka they haven't even played the damn game. And J Stars didn't sell nearly as well, so you need more than the name to move units.

It's one of the best selling games of the year so of course it's getting a sequel. Just make improvements to the prevalent issues and that solves a lot.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. I definitely enjoyed Ace Combat 7. Even went digital on it when I wasnt sure and have no regrets.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Not surprised Jump Force is doing well. You put Naruto, Luffy and Goku on the same cover and that shit is just gonna sell on that alone lol.

I played the beta for a bit and the game seemed okay ish. I like goofy anime fighters so I wasn't really expecting much but the roster was super bland and the DLC did nothing to improve that beyond Kaiba and the Bleach characters.

Buzz

Oct 28, 2017
Happy for AC7. Hopefully this will mean a bigger budget, time and resource which could mean a mindblowing AC8.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
I think another source of Jump Force's success is at least the PC modding scene. I was half tempted to buy in on a sale for it because of the Master Chief Mod.

Ace Combat definitely deserves all of it's sales and accolades, one of the best of the generation in feeling fresh and just good ol' fashioned fun.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
Hallelujah on SCVI doing well. I need for that series to continue after the disappointment fire that was SCV.

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
Happy for AC7. Hopefully this will mean a bigger budget, time and resource which could mean a mindblowing AC8.

As of February 14, Ace Combat 7 in Japan was "recording the fastest [sales] numbers in sales history" and the "sudden flow of new users" (especially with the Steam release) was unexpected by Project Aces.
And AC7's launch in the UK and the USA was the series' most successful one to date.

So I think it's pretty much guaranteed that the next AC title will get more resources.

Buzz

Oct 28, 2017

As of February 14, Ace Combat 7 in Japan was "recording the fastest [sales] numbers in sales history" and the "sudden flow of new users" (especially with the Steam release) was unexpected by Project Aces.
And AC7's launch in the UK and the USA was the series' most successful one to date.

So I think it's pretty much guaranteed that the next AC title will get more resources.

Yea, can't wait to see what they will come up with next.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Man hopefully this means SC stays alive and well then. Things sounded dicey before 6 released. Also happy about Ace, have yet to try it but have heard glowing compliments about it.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Well at least we might get a Soulcalibur 7. Please take out the horrendous paper rock scissors mechanic. It ruined the game for me. It really messed with the pacing of the game and was flat out just not fun.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really happy Ace Combat 7 did well. Game is amazing and the soundtrack is dope

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Glad for Soulcalibur and Ace Combat. I'm kinda feeling like Namco is having sort of a low-key comeback ala Capcom right now -- just wanna see Ridge Racer revitalized on modern tech but giving a strong impression of leaning into its classic identity. I think I could absolutely ADORE a new modern Ridge Racer that's evocative of, say, R4.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Excellent to hear about SC and Ace Combat. Hopefully Namco will put some more money into SC for future DLC and new games

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
For a series that's been mostly dormant for 12 odd years, I can't believe that AC7 was as successful as it's been. That's the power of brand loyalty and positive word-of-mouth. Here's hoping that AC8 has the scale and ambition that AC5 had coming off of AC4.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
I think the slow news/radio silence on updates for SCVI probably led some to believe the game wasn't doing well. Glad to see it's a success and hopefully that means more content for the game + a sequel down the line.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Very happy to hear SC6 did well, since Soul Calibur is my favorite fighting game series. Glad for fans of Ace Combat as well.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm somewhat shocked Jump Force made money considering how terrible it was.

Glad that SC6 did well, though I hope they take more liberties with it in the future

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised Jump Force is doing well. You put Naruto, Luffy and Goku on the same cover and that shit is just gonna sell on that alone lol.

I played the beta for a bit and the game seemed okay ish. I like goofy anime fighters so I wasn't really expecting much but the roster was super bland and the DLC did nothing to improve that beyond Kaiba and the Bleach characters.
It surprisingly had little to do with them lol.

Source: EEDAR. March 21st article for February's results.
Dragonball FighterZ had a larger Twitch presence a week before it launched than Jump Force has four weeks after launch, which is to say that Twitch is not the thing propelling Jump Force at all. However, YouTube is. Most of the Jump Force videos seem pretty standard, but some of their titles caught our attention: "Ultra Instinct Goku Gameplay vs Shaggy, Naruto & Zoro," for instance. Those are powerful names from a YouTube SEO perspective. But the most powerful, at least in Q1 2019, is…Shaggy. That's right, Shaggy as a demigod has been picking up meme steam all year. When modders added him to the PC version of Jump Force the videos went viral and Jump Force's profile on YouTube received a huge boost. That's far out, Scoobs.

I don't think anyone even made a thread on it when Matt Piscatella tweeted the link to the EEDAR article on this stuff, and the info now seems to be behind a paywall. Thankfully I had this tidbit saved cause it still blows my mind. The reason Jump Force did well at all is because of Shaggy memes and the modding scene.