• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
2019 is on it's way out. Some us will say good riddance and others will look back fondly. I know that many of us this time of the year tend to reflect back regardless.

So my question is what have you learned about yourself or advice you've been told that you can pass on to others here that may not even know they needed to hear.

For me, I learned to stop asking the question 'why'

More often then not the answer will not be satisfying because more often then not it's asked with a dependency on an emotionaly fulfilling payoff that can't possibly be met.

Honestly I feel I have better prepared myself for dealing with things beyond my control when I stopped asking that question.

What about y'all?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
On advice I needed to hear and that helped a lot, the end of the introduction to "Gender Outlaws" by Kate Bornstein had a large impact on reading and has stayed with me since.

I'll likely pop more down in this thread later as it's my and my partner's Christmas Day today so a bit rushed, but good thread OP and this was the first thing that came to mind. 2019 has been a heavy but liberating year.

- - - - - - - - -

"When I first wrote this book [in 1994] language was a big problem. People knew about transexuals. But not many people were talking about the phenomenon of people who are neither men nor women, no matter how they choose to express their gender.To embrace those people (myself included), I borrowed the word transgender. But in many circles today, that word has become simply another word for transsexual — so in my country, the newer and more inclusive word is simply trans.

You will read words in this book that don't ring true to you. Please, take a pen or pencil and cross them out. Write in a word you like better. And when that word doesn't work for you anymore, use another word. The way of gender is a living, changing path, like a river — it does no one any good to try to keep either gender or a river still.

The language you discover may be useful to others, so please share it with them. Write blogs, poetry, drama and films that use your language for gender. Meet with other people who are finding their words, and discuss the value of language in the search for freedom and fluidity in gender. Your language may make others angry. Their language may make you laugh, that's part of the fun.

Now, if anything you read in this book makes you feel bad or wrong or small and weak then please know I said something wrong. This book was written many years ago, and the culture I wrote it in is not the culture in which you're reading it. So, if you find anything to be personally insulting, please accept my apology and keep reading with the knowledge that your gender identity and how you express your gender are correct only when you feel they are correct.

In closing, I'd like you to know that I'm writing this to you at the age of sixty-eight. I'm very old. I may very well be alive as you're reading these words. But if I'm dead, I would be honoured if you call upon me as your ancestor in our mutual journey of gender exploration. I promise you that alive or dead, I will do all that's in my power to help you find and live your destiny.

Much Love and Respect,
Kate Bornstein"

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I learned that you must learn to shut up your thoughts and just go with it. Thinking is nice, but it gets in the way of living. As you don't need words to think, there's no point in having any long conversation with yourself in most cases. Go with your gut and keep looking outside.

Also that true love comes from peace, never malice.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
This year I learned that you can try your best, avoid doing the wrong things and still lose everything.

I'm a bit more carefree than before in some cases, and way more cautious in others.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I have omitted "deserve" from my thought process. You got what you got or not, there is no deserving or not deserving involved so stop being proud or bitter about it.

If I really want something, I ask how can I get it rather than if I can get it. Also, always try, you will never know if you don't try.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Stop and smell the roses.

Really. Remember to live in the moment. Soak it in, appreciate this journey we call, life.

Cheesy I know. It's the truth, for me. Finding a positive in any situation can really make you see things differently and enjoy things for what they are.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
You can't change the past but you can change your way of thinking and how to look at it, some moments aren't necessarily as bad as you thought, or badly intended. The truth doesn't matter at this point anyway, it's what we believe in that does

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
You can't control the actions of others, no matter how much you'd like to.

There is perfection within imperfection.

And the best one: it's okay to be a little selfish.

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
This summer I was on a road trip with my family (girlfriend, two kids (3 and 6)).

We stopped at a small German village next to the autobahn and went to a tiny burger place.

It was drizzling outside, and while we were waiting for our food my daughter went outside to dance in the rain. She seemed super happy and I was watching her from the doorway when an older German gentleman tapped on my shoulder.

"Entschuldigung sir", sorry, "I don't speak much English", he started.

"You know, enjoy it right now. It will all go so fast. So please enjoy it."

He walked off to his car but there was something about his wistful expression and genuine friendliness that has stuck with me through the year. I'm determined to enjoy it even in the moments when it's frustrating to be a parent.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Don't try to force yourself to do things you don't want to do with your free time. Listen to your mood and try to figure out what you actually want. Once you know, it's then okay to reflect on your goals, and you may convince yourself to do something that usually took willpower.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That it's okay to avoid Internet discourse/hot takes about things that are subjective (especially in entertainment); if you like something, great, and if not, there's always something else.

When there's problematic behavior that needs discussing, amplify the voice of those who need to speak, not mine.

To look inside myself often, acknowledge how I'm feeling, but don't express it in channels that could be unhealthy for me, and/or others. That's what therapy is for.

And also that it's okay to step away to take care of myself, so what's hurting me doesn't affect those around me.

Oct 26, 2017
For me it was disconnecting myself from social media and learning that life is still fine if not better. In fact, staying away from it in and of itself was addictive and I now feel that I am less bothered by things going on that I have no control over. I can no longer relate to the noise that people purposely engage in whether it's about politics or a star wars movie.

It's a nice place to be in.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I learned to listen to my own limits and changed my master program/city. I've been feeling much happier with myself despite sacrificing one year of progress and financial stability.

Mental health and wellbeing are priceless and worth fighting for 😊

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Things happen when they have to, not when you want them or prepare for them to happen.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It's only a recent thing I've learned, a darker side to myself as my anger reaches boiling point when I feel powerless, useless and a disappointment to everyone I know. While it seems negative in itself, I will push to get past this point.

But that means that I have to accept that I have Anger.

People who know me see a gentle person, and it frustrates me as it feels like I'm presenting a false version of myself, rather than the truth.

Other positive things I've learned:

• Better understanding of Transgender issues. I've got a long way to go still
  • I learned more about what jobs I enjoy, as well as the surrounding routine. (I understand now I hate 9-5 days, whereas I was just 'tolerating' them).
  • Slow Cooking healthy recipes has been fun, but now I actually have a good slow cooker I intend to do lots of lovely healthy stuff for work rather than just junk food.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Being around others is important
Don't overwork yourself
Public transportation isn't that bad
Don't tell yourself you can't be in a relationship
"Love yourself, you idiot"

You're probably not a guy

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The key to true happiness is to love yourself not for what you should be but for who you are. No one can give you what you need but you, and it's not wrong or selfish to do that.

Oh also borderline personality disorder explains alot of what I preceived was wrong with me, same with trama. And since my mother died January 2nd I've also learned how much worse I am due to constant emotional abuse. I love her, but I've finally started healing. Now my goal is the city, leave leave this place and live for myself. I have no money, and will receive no help but I'm optimistic because for once I'm motivated

Last edited:

marches

Dec 18, 2018
I learned that things can get better. That life will surprise you, that it doesn't have to suck 100 percent of the time. Good things can happen.