• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sousourocket

Oct 26, 2017
Is it just me, or is the audio all over the place in this episode?

It isn't just you, I was like "wtf I don't remember this show being so fucking mumbly" but then it was fine... I was starting to think maybe I imagined it LMAO.

Uh... did Damon's actor quit the show or something? Why the hell did he just suddenly off-screen relapse and leave forever after being there in episode 1? That was so confusing to me...

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I haven't caught the episode yet, but apparently, according to rumors..."messy" doesn't even BEGIN to describe what it was like on that set for this last season. Lord chile, the tea is spilling all over the place and it is HOT.

I'm gonna need video of Janet Mock losing her shit, saying she cheated with a crew member and all this other stuff about being treated unfairly. Like she had it at a premiere party or something.

As an example. ☝🏿

Pose Executive Producer Janet Mock Slams Hollywood in Premiere Speech | IndieWire

Excerpts:

Early on in her speech, Mock wondered aloud, "Why am I making $40,000 an episode? Huh?" adding "I am angry!" in reference to wanting higher pay and more executive-level perks.

Reportedly, the room went completely silent during the speech. "F*ck Hollywood… Does this make you uncomfortable? It should. It should make you f–king shake in your motherf*cking boots. This is speaking truth. This is what 'Pose' is," Mock said.

Mock apparently also decried the quality of the material to come out of the male writers' room, addressing Murphy, "you brought… girls in to help you."

"Who brought the girls in?," she asked the series co-creator. "I did," Murphy replied, "I wanted the girls to be there."

Which was FIRE. Really disappointing. There have been rumors for years that Ryan Murphy is a weasel, and he can never stick the landing on ANY of his shows. But somehow I thought Pose would be spared this, because there was so much talk in the beginning about how much control Murphy was giving to Mock and trusting her to bring in a team of trans women to write. So good on Janet for calling his ass out. All well and good, until...

During the speech, she also addressed her boyfriend Angel Bismark Curiel, who plays Lil Papi Evangelista on the show, asking him to stand up in the room. "Today, I was gonna let [Angel] go," she said. "I was gonna let you go, right, but what did I do? I f*cked someone on the crew, right?"

According to the story, "At that revelation, one of the show's guest stars could be heard gasping and asked, 'What the hell is happening?'"

Mock added, "Angel, Angel. I'm not losing you. You hear me? You are f–king important to me. I don't want to live in a house alone. I want you. You motherf*cker. Right there. That's who I want. I'm getting what's mine."

Yikes.

I'm a HUGE fan of Janet Mock. I've been following her for years and will be there for whatever she's got coming next. That said, I hope she's ok, and I hope Angel Curiel is ok too, because...wow. There is so much wrong with what she did there.

Last edited:

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I haven't caught the episode yet, but apparently, according to rumors..."messy" doesn't even BEGIN to describe what it was like on that set for this last season. Lord chile, the tea is spilling all over the place and it is HOT.

As an example. ☝🏿

Pose Executive Producer Janet Mock Slams Hollywood in Premiere Speech | IndieWire

Excerpts:

Which was FIRE. All well and good. Until...

Yikes.

I'm a HUGE fan of Janet Mock. I've been following her for years and will be there for whatever she's got coming next. That said, I hope she's ok, and I hope Angel Curiel is ok too, because...wow. There is so much wrong with what she did there.

😲

I gasped

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

As an example. ☝🏿

Excerpts:

Which was FIRE. Really disappointing. There have been rumors for years that Ryan Murphy is a weasel, and he can never stick the landing on ANY of his shows. But somehow I thought Pose would be spared this, because there was so much talk in the beginning about how much control Murphy was giving to Mock and trusting her to bring in a team of trans women to write. So good on Janet for calling his ass out. All well and good, until...

Yikes.

Wow...

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It isn't just you, I was like "wtf I don't remember this show being so fucking mumbly" but then it was fine... I was starting to think maybe I imagined it LMAO.

Uh... did Damon's actor quit the show or something? Why the hell did he just suddenly off-screen relapse and leave forever after being there in episode 1? That was so confusing to me...
Ryan Jamaal Swain's (Damon) 24-year-old sister was fatally shot in July of 2020. According to Steven Canals (co-creator) they wrote him out of the show, at least partially, because he needed space to deal with that family tragedy.

I thought the first episode of the premiere was really weak, melodramatic, and cheesy. Felt like a step back for the show when it had made so much progress. The second episode, however, was much stronger. Because of course it was, because Billy Porter.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ryan Jamaal Swain's (Damon) 24-year-old sister was fatally shot in July of 2020. According to Steven Canals (co-creator) they wrote him out of the show, at least partially, because he needed space to deal with that family tragedy.
This is completely understandable but them making his character just go off to have a relapse seems really unnecessarily negative.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is completely understandable but them making his character just go off to have a relapse seems really unnecessarily negative.
Yes, I thought it was handled poorly as well, especially since his "addiction" was only mentioned in passing for the first time in the premiere. It felt like "Poochie died on the way back to his home planet."

Given the posts above, there seems to be a ton of BTS drama on this show so we'll probably never get the full story. The whole situation gives me shades of Justice League, honestly. Maybe it's as simple as they say, which would be totally understandable. Maybe the writers just couldn't come up with something compelling for Damon. It's probably all of the above, all told.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The way this show jumps through time gives me whiplash - Angel tries crack for the first time in episode 1 and by the end of episode 2 she's an addict already in recovery. Same with Pray Tell, though they at least established that he's been struggling with alcoholism in between seasons. Season 2 had the same problem too. Makes me think they planned for more seasons but found out partway through S2 that S3 would be the last and started cramming in cliff notes versions of all their future storylines...

But yeah, outside of nothing getting any time to breathe, I thought the first two episodes (esp 2) were good. Elektra's characterization was consistent, which is the main thing that matters <3

🤔

These two-episode premieres are killing me too…

Same. At least it wasn't a 3 episode premiere like Hulu does!

How awful. I was wondering why Damon appeared to leave the show so abruptly.

Mhm, bringing him back for 1 episode, barely giving him any screen time, and then writing him off with a "oh he relapsed and is gone forever" line was really off putting. Like, that's how you're going to do one of the primary characters of and since the pilot? Really? He didn't necessarily need to have a happy ending but damn.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 4 didn't entirely work for me but Billy Porter was great as usual.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
Is the new season any good so far?

I loved Season 1 but Season 2, in typical Ryan Murphy fashion, went totally off the rails for me aside from the girls trip episode.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So a lot of Pray Tell's story draws from Billy Porter's actual experiences...
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Billy Porter Breaks a 14-Year Silence: “This Is What HIV-Positive Looks Like Now”

For the first time since being diagnosed more than a decade ago, the 'Pose' star opens up about the shame that compelled him to hide his condition from his castmates, collaborators and even his mother, and the responsibility that now has him speaking out: "The truth is the healing."

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I hope the third season gets to Netflix soon, I enjoyed the first two seasons, quite literally the only Murphy show I liked since Popular :P

I do find it a bit anachronistic, specially related to HIV/AIDS attitudes even within the community and the stigma it carried back then (for that stuff like Angels in America is far better) but I don't mind a bit of escapism.

There is also this modern view, or say division, of what trans/gay is which really didn't apply back then, and lines were way more fuzzy, but that part is more complex so again I give it a pass.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought they pretty much killed it with the last two (three, considering the finale was double-length) episodes. That Pray swerve got me good.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
The ending didn't do the show justice. When they write about what happened in that last season of the show, it's going to be some real interesting shit.

You can tell they either got their run cut short by the network, or COVID or both and things that were supposed to take longer occurred in hap hazard fashion, or were resolved in one sentence or off-screen.

Billy Porter held things together for the show and gave it a thread this season. It just seemed a rush to conclusion, and it's super unfortunate. I don't think the show will hold up as a classic in a few years, and it really could have with a little tightening and an additional season to allow things to breathe and develop.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
While I agree to a point, I think they did the best they could given the limitations they clearly had to work within. The show was never really a "hit." To get 3 seasons, even shortened, was somewhat of a minor miracle.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
What a terrible season and terrible finale. So
since Prey Tell was giving Rickey his meds, now that he died and won't have access to get anymore, Rickey is essentially doomed?

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
The last few episodes were a bit of a mixed bag for me. I love the cast and enjoyed much of the "victory lap" nature of the final episodes, but it did veer a little too far into "wish fulfillment" territory at times. When the first season started, I pictured the show turning out to be something more akin to It's a Sin (which only just came out this year) but I feel like they decided to go with a significantly more optimistic, Glee-lite direction starting with the second season. Which is fine, because lord knows there are few other shows like Pose around, but I can't help but be a little disappointed in the (perceived) change of direction.

I do think they managed to course correct a fair amount in season three, and I ended up liking it way more than the second season, but I still had some issues with it. The biggest issues with S2 were A. that it was filled with erratic characterizations, B. the lack of consequences for any non-death related drama, and C. dropped plot lines. The former was thankfully rectified but the latter two unfortunately persisted. (What happened to Blanca's learning disability? Lemar's feud with the group? etc)

I won't count Damon as a dropped character/plot line because of his real life issues - also, he got a shout out in the finale! (and a more fitting end for his character than "he relapsed and moved away")

Anyway, sad to see the show go but happy they got 3 seasons to tell their story (even though I feel like it should have been more).

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
It was... fine? It felt like they tried to cram a seasons worth of material into the finale, which only compacted the issue that that tried to cram a seasons worth of story into six episodes. Watching the finale it really did feel like they had this planned to take place over two more seasons.

It wasn't a perfect series, but with the actors and the characters... it was magic. I will definitely miss it.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
They should have stopped at season 2.
I honestly could've coped better with unfinished plot lines than this weird fan fiction AU we got in S 03.

This is Ryan murphy at his worst, with rushed or nonsensical storylines, characters who don't act like themselves and it sours me on the series as a whole sadly.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Like 75% of Glee, the back half of most seasons of AHS, The Politician, Hollywood, and Prom would like to have a word with you.
I know trust me - I've seen all those promising shows crumble and degenerate into messy plot lines, and haphazard characterisation.

Murphy is very good for the pitch : every time I say "no more" and I still begin to watch the new show, hoping for once he could stick the landing.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yea season was okay. Bianca can only give so many optimistic speeches before I start to tune them out lol. Covid clearly impacted things given it was only 7 episodes, but I wouldn't be surprised at some other behind the scenes shenanigans

As always, Pray Tell was the MVP of the show, broke my heart to see him ultimately pass despite it seeming like he'd actually make it.

I'm glad that Angel and Papi got their happily ever after, though the drama with the kid felt so damn forced. Still though, their wedding was glorious.

But yea, it was a Murphy ass show when all is said and done, but I enjoyed watching it.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The first half of Season 3, with some exceptions, had a lot of problems. But as I was watching the show I decided to change how I was thinking about it. Should I be overly critical of this show? Or should I celebrate it for what it was and what it accomplished?

Were there tons of issues with this season, from production, to dropped / rushed storylines? Undeniable. But was this show ground-breaking and important? Kind of. Did I want dark endings for these characters (consistent with previous seasons), or was I happy to take a step back, enjoy my time with them, and revel in the fabulousness of it all even if some of what transpired may have been contrived? I chose happiness. I'm not trying to make excuses for the show, just saying that "grading on a curve" enabled me to enjoy the final season a lot more than I would've typically, as I'm a pretty harsh critic. Plot holes, dropped threads, weird character motivations, Elektra's mobbed up out of nowhere (lol), who cares. We got Billy Porter and Mj Rodriguez duetting to Diana Ross in the rain. Candy's Sweet Refrain, indeed.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But as I was watching the show I decided to change how I was thinking about it. Should I be overly critical of this show? Or should I celebrate it for what it was and what it accomplished?

I mean this is what I assume most of us have been doing since S2 at the latest, "grading it on a curve" as you say because at the end of the day, extremely rare to have a show like this in the first place, much less one that gets 3 seasons

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean this is what I assume most of us have been doing since S2 at the latest, "grading it on a curve" as you say because at the end of the day, extremely rare to have a show like this in the first place, much less one that gets 3 seasons
Indeed. Took me a while to get into that mindset this season, because I could only really see the flaws for the first few episodes. They seemed louder and more pronounced, and I was having some difficulty being forgiving. I'm glad I came around, because I was able to really enjoy the last few.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. Took me a while to get into that mindset this season, because I could only really see the flaws for the first few episodes. They seemed louder and more pronounced, and I was having some difficulty being forgiving. I'm glad I came around, because I was able to really enjoy the last few.
Agreed. I'm like incapable of judging Ryan Murphy shows objectively. Hell, I've been watching and enjoying Halston this week.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I'm catching up and just started S3 E2 and had a huge WTF moment when Blanca said that Damon had relapsed and was gone for good. What the absolute fuck? One episode ago he was trying to help Pray Tell with his addiction and now he's gone because of his own surprise addiction? Am I forgetting a subplot with Damon having substance abuse problems?

Apparently the actor suffered an unexpected death in his family and had to exit, but to write him out like that when he had no history of addiction in the show is utterly baffling. I can't even blame Ryan Murphy since he didn't touch this episode!

Makes me nervous about the rest of the season since S2 had similar head-scratching writing where shit would just come out of nowhere.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lead Actress in a Drama Series

Uzo Aduba
Olivia Colman
Emma Corrin
Elisabeth Moss
Mj Rodriguez
Jurnee Smollett

Seems like stiff competition just based off the names
Yeah, definitely. I recognize all the names, but I can't say I know all the shows they're representing.
In Treatment?
The Crown?
The Crown?
Handmaid's Tale
Pose
Lovecraft Country?

Have only seen the last 3 shows. Go Mj!

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, definitely. I recognize all the names, but I can't say I know all the shows they're representing.
In Treatment?
The Crown?
The Crown?
Handmaid's Tale
Pose
Lovecraft Country?

Have only seen the last 3 shows. Go Mj!

And here I was thinking Uzo was for Mrs. America, but turns out I'm a year late lmao