• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile

With the release of No More Heroes on the Switch a couple of months ago, with this being a remaster of the Wii version instead of the PS3/360 one, i realized that most people don't like that version because of the change in art style, since they added a lot of new effects that while one would think that's a good thing, it ended up messing with the game art style, making it less appealing, so most people were happy that they chose the "inferior" version

Have you heard of a similar case as this one? a game that when ported to another hardware they ruined the original look

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow of the Colossus's PS4 remaster ruined the signature lighting style that all of Ueda's games have.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I hope I get my popcorn before the Bluepoint squad comes and say how they ruined Shadow of the Colossus AND Demon's Souls. Which I may or may not agree with.
My 2 pence: Silent Hill HD.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy VI

ffviterraface53klt.jpg

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Was never a fan of the FF IV DS remake on 3DS.

Just so incredibly forgettable with the 3D models of the characters.

Not the actual cutscene parts, but the in game parts with the chibi models.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dragon Quest VI. The original game has a very distinct style and is one of the better looking 16-bit RPGs out there. The remake just looks like every other DS DQ game.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
This is a lot milder than the other games brought up but I thought the lighting change in Majora's Mask 3D had a deleterious effect on the game's atmosphere

OOT3D had a similar problem but it only really came up in the final battle with Ganon

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The Dragon Quest cell phone "remasters" as well (the ones they used to port to the Switch).

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
The Monkey Island remaster. Luckily they included the original art, but the new one is a soulless abomination that, and is made even uglier when compared to the original pixel art perfection.

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy-cover.jpg

When lighting is properly taken into account the game isn't always ugly but there are a lot of times where it just looks off, and beyond the technical effects slathered onto the package as part of being made on a modern engine, it doesn't hold up in quite the same way the original PS1 titles did.

Crash 4 started development in the same year NST was released and yeah:

maxresdefault.jpg

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never forgive how The Ninja Gaiden Trilogy for the SNES butchered the music and the visuals, completely killing the awesome parallax scrolling achieved on the nes on several stages.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 1 anniversary. I guess you can't say 'ruined' if you can switch between the new and old on the fly, but I'm hoping someone will make a mod that has the detail of Anniversary but closer to the style of original.

Halo 2 anniversary is just fine imo tho.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Little Kings story has to be the...well king of this.

The sweet childlike dreamy atmosphere changed to a horny teens anime wet dream feel.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I bought the FF Dot Pixel art book yesterday, and it has modernised 16-bit esque versions of all the sprites. Similar to Record Keeper but they look more like the characters actually look like.

Anyway these new 16-bit sprites are done by Kazuko Shibuya who was both the original sprite artist and the person that did the above 'remastered' sprites.

The FFVI sprites are really interesting because they are basically the above sprites but done in a 16 bit style, and in my opinion they look amazing. Better than both the original and (obviously) the remastered sprites.

Ashilyn

Oct 27, 2017
Langrisser 1+2. I mean, they did include the original character busts in a DLC, but YIKES that game just doesn't look right in the remake.

Still a good game, at least.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy-cover.jpg

When lighting is properly taken into account the game isn't always ugly but there are a lot of times where it just looks off, and beyond the technical effects slathered onto the package as part of being made on a modern engine, it doesn't hold up in quite the same way the original PS1 titles did.

Crash 4 started development in the same year NST was released and yeah:

maxresdefault.jpg
I think the photo you have of the NST is pre-release. In game, it actually looked really great.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
- Shadow of the Colossus
- Final Fantasy V/VI/X re-master (also, new CGI potrait for FFIX, yikes)
- DMC1/3
- Seiken Densetsu Series

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

This is a lot milder than the other games brought up but I thought the lighting change in Majora's Mask 3D had a deleterious effect on the game's atmosphere

OOT3D had a similar problem but it only really came up in the final battle with Ganon
I love most graphical changes in these two, and I can kind of see where they came from with the Ganon fight. The 3DS doesn't have the brightest of screens and the 3D does bleed quite a lot on high contrast images. So bumping the overall brightness of the scene made sense. Now was it worth the tradeoff with the atmosphere? Well to each their own I guess.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH