• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
www.theguardian.com

Portland sees peaceful night of protests following withdrawal of federal agents

Thursday night’s protest passed off without major incident or intervention by the police in the absence of federal officers

The withdrawal of federal agents from frontline policing of demonstrations in downtown Portland significantly reduced tensions in the city overnight.

Protesters in support of Black Lives Matter once again rallied near the federal courthouse that became a flashpoint, and the scene of nightly battles amid the swirl of teargas, after Donald Trump dispatched agents to end what he called anarchy in the city after weeks of demonstrations.

But in the absence of the federal officers, Thursday night's protest passed off without major incident or intervention by the police.

In the absence of confrontation, and with the state police remaining largely unseen inside the courthouse, tensions quickly eased. Without the federal forces to draw attention, protest organisers kept the focus on Black Lives Matters and reform of the Portland police.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Good news, but I hope that there arent people circling Trump celebrating that they got the "data" that they needed to see what they can get away with next time.

Oct 25, 2017
You all have no idea how much Ted Wheeler sucks

"Hey ya know that massive homeless problem we have, we could maybe actually try helping these people or we can just ignore it and dehumanize them since NIMBYs don't like them but also do not want the city to allocate resources to helping them. I think I will try to appease the NIMBYs"

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Something needs to happen when Biden gets in office.

Let's be clear, unmarked and unidentified federal agents were deployed to U.S. cities to quell peaceful protests, without any knowing request by state officials, who then proceeded to arrest and detain people, without any jurisdiction to do so.

That is fascism and heads need to roll for it.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Trump and his goons will take credit. They'll say their the reasons why everything has quieted down without acknowledging that they are also the reason why it escalated in the first place.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
"Your favorite President has restored order in the city of Portland! If not for my intervention, Portland would not be enjoying its safer streets this week. Now we've caught all the trouble makers! You're welcome!" ~ Trump literally next week.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
This isn't surprising. We all knew the Feds were the ones instigating. Now, queue the Trump admin taking credit for it.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So you mean the fascists were the ones causing the problems?
KindlyPolishedBison-size_restricted.gif

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Bits from WaPo:

Echavarria said the change in tone was "100 percent because the feds are leaving." But the different atmosphere seemed to take some protesters by surprise. Many had arrived wearing helmets and gas masks, but found themselves sitting on the grass of the park when they would have been running away on previous nights.
----------------------
But most protesters seemed to welcome the calm and believed Portland's protests would keep their momentum. "That will draw families back to the protests. Ultimately, while we wanted the feds out, this was really about Black Lives Matter," Echavarria said.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va

"Hey ya know that massive homeless problem we have, we could maybe actually try helping these people or we can just ignore it and dehumanize them since NIMBYs don't like them but also do not want the city to allocate resources to helping them. I think I will try to appease the NIMBYs"
i feel like every town in this state just doesnt even bother trying to help all the homeless, and you see plenty of nimby pricks on Nextdoor clutching their pearls over seeing someone sleeping under an overpass

i'm amazed that they arent dismantling the tent encampments in corvallis with heavy machinery this season

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like every town in this state just doesnt even bother trying to help all the homeless, and you see plenty of nimby pricks on Nextdoor clutching their pearls over seeing someone sleeping under an overpass

i'm amazed that they arent dismantling the tent encampments in corvallis with heavy machinery this season
And the fun part is that attempting to appease the nimbys ends up making no one happy, including the nimbys

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
From a few days ago:

Greg Miller @gregpmiller

'It was about getting viral content online' -- how Trump and Stephen Miller pushed DHS clashes with protesters, turning Portland into stage of campaign culture war. @Marissa_Jae @jdawsey1 @DevlinBarrett @NickMiroff

8:39 AM · Jul 25, 2020

One of the officials said the White House had long wanted to amplify strife in cities, encouraging DHS officials to talk about arrests of violent criminals in sanctuary cities and repeatedly urging ICE to disclose more details of raids than some in the agency were comfortable doing. "It was about getting viral online content," one of the officials said.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
"Your favorite President has restored order in the city of Portland! If not for my intervention, Portland would not be enjoying its safer streets this week. Now we've caught all the trouble makers! You're welcome!" ~ Trump literally next week.
Lol :(

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
From a few days ago:

Greg Miller @gregpmiller

'It was about getting viral content online' -- how Trump and Stephen Miller pushed DHS clashes with protesters, turning Portland into stage of campaign culture war. @Marissa_Jae @jdawsey1 @DevlinBarrett @NickMiroff

8:39 AM · Jul 25, 2020

One of the officials said the White House had long wanted to amplify strife in cities, encouraging DHS officials to talk about arrests of violent criminals in sanctuary cities and repeatedly urging ICE to disclose more details of raids than some in the agency were comfortable doing. "It was about getting viral online content," one of the officials said.

this is like the stupidest thing ever, they really are running like they arent the incumbent like what the hell. all this shit is happening under THEIR watch.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He sucks an absurd amount of ass and I cannot wait to vote against him this fall.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Dem mayors are fucking trash

Him, Eric Garcetti (LA), Jenny Durkan (Seattle), Bill DiBlasio (NYC) etc. Etc.

With allies like these...

Oct 25, 2017
He sucks an absurd amount of ass and I cannot wait to vote against him this fall.
What frustrates me is the complete non action.

Like if they had done anything, anything at all with homeless problem, I'd probably vote him out but I'd have less venom.

I get that running a city is hard and their are multiple components and many groups of constituents to contend with, BUT you have to try.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
I hoped this would happen. The optics of the violence dying down when the Feds left would be undeniable and extremely telling.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So glad the feds showed up to terrorize the city of Portland then randomly left, for fucking nothing