• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
How are you being screwed over? You were never promised a Xbone version?
Screwed in the idea that people who want to play the game on their platform can't. No one said Platinum promised anything, but they they are clearly reneging on making the Kickstarter stretch goal available at a later date. And, as has been echoed numerous times in this thread, for a reason that is paper-thin.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Perhaps a translation error there, as it doesn't really make sense, both what is being said and as an excuse in general.

Should have ported it to 360 and run it in BC mode, like Bayonetta,Vanquish and MGR...

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
I'm sure all the people who think this is bullshit are more expert at the complexity of game development and game engines than a decades in the work game developer, right?

Believing that you know more than those people is why this place is so mocked.

My understanding is that nobody else has ever cited complexity as a roadblock. The closest would be indie devs who have limited funds for kits, testing, optimization and whatnot. Second would be an sense of low projected sales or minimum print number limitations. For a game that could have simply had an additional stretch goal, the comment points more towards a lack of wanting to do it (in context)

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe they found the Xbox sdk poorly translated tool Japanese. They for sure don't have this problem with sony or Nintendo.

Also, some tibits make sounds like they think ROI will be low. Probably because they are focused on the Japanese market.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
tenor.gif

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, and we should take your words and speculation over this?

Remind me again, who are you?

There were clearly problems on both ends. No one is saying it was platinum alone.
What makes you more of authority on this than I am?

That dumb Inaba statement doesn't mean what you think it means. It's an apology, and he's apologizing because he and his company was making the game that got cancelled. It's like how Pokemon fans kept telling me "it's the biggest media franchise in the world" based off flimsy evidence supported by random article too. One PR statement does not and has never been the indication of the truth and you all keep conveniently ignoring examples of other games that were going through rocky development cycles with some leading to straight up cancellations at the time. Were Scalebound, Phantom Dust, Stormlands, and Fable all cancelled because of their individual developers or was it because of bad project management?

Hell I called Scalebound's cancellation months before it happened because of this.

And hey, I like Xbox too. I had the first one and the 360, and I have a gamepass subscription for PC. It's ok to like them. But at the end of day Microsoft is a TRILLION dollar corporation who serves billions of people a day. They don't care about you, they care about their bottom line. You all need to start thinking more critically about big tech rather than just blindly defending them because you relate to Phil Spencer.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That dumb Inaba statement doesn't mean what you think it means. It's an apology, and he's apologizing because he and his company was making the game that got cancelled. It's like how Pokemon fans kept telling me "it's the biggest media franchise in the world" based off flimsy evidence supported by random article too. One PR statement does not and has never been the indication of the truth and you all keep conveniently ignoring examples of other games that were going through rocky development cycles with some leading to straight up cancellations at the time. Were Scalebound, Phantom Dust, Stormlands, and Fable all cancelled because of their individual developers or was it because of bad project management?

Hell I called Scalebound's cancellation months before it happened because of this.

And hey, I like Xbox too. I had the first one and the 360, and I have a gamepass subscription for PC. It's ok to like them. But at the end of day Microsoft is a TRILLION dollar corporation who serves billions of people a day. They don't care about you, they care about their bottom line. You all need to start thinking more critically about big tech rather than just blindly defending them because you relate to Phil Spencer.
You seem to conveniently leave out that PlatinumGames were also codeveloping Granblue Fantasy: Relink with Cygames but their contract was not renewed and Cygames moved on without them removing their credits from production. However I'm sure it's because it doesn't fit your narrative that everyone else is to blame and they should receive all of the blame and there's no way possible that Platinum should share any of that blame.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018

Jesus dude, I don't need a sermon on not attaching myself to a trillion dollar corporate entity. Is this because you saw an xbox related profile picture?
I'm not an authority on this, I'm simply saying the much, much more plausible scenario of fault being on either side of such a huge cancellation. Do you think for MS cancelling Scalebound was something they were giddy to do?

Yes Inaba's statement is a PR piece, of course it is. Is that enough to completely dismiss it and go "It's all MS's fault! Platinum are blameless angels!"?

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything runs on x86 architecture. Even if you're looking at OS issues, doesn't xb1x basically run Windows 10?

I'll be buying it on PC, but the reasoning for not releasing on XB1 seems a little weird.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Yeah, ok. Why wasn't it one of their far off stretch goals on their Kickstarter? Surely it can't be THAT much of an extra cost to not even be considered as a goal.

I'm sensing a great deal of salt. The rumored Microsoft-Platinum Games acquisition probably went south and left a bad taste of something.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes Inaba's statement is a PR piece, of course it is. Is that enough to completely dismiss it and go "It's all MS's fault! Platinum are blameless angels!"?
We're all speculating but it's one PR piece compared to the 4 or so games Microsoft has cancelled and the 2-3 that did see release but came out rough like Crackdown and MCC plus Platinum doubling down on being independent and now the W101 news. If this were a case of "both sides" they would've patched things up but they're not. That's more indicative of the large company screwing over the smaller company than the other way around.

You seem to conveniently leave out that PlatinumGames were also codeveloping Granblue Fantasy: Relink with Cygames but their contract was not renewed and Cygames moved on without them removing their credits from production. However I'm sure it's because it doesn't fit your narrative that everyone else is to blame and they should receive all of the blame and there's no way possible that Platinum should share any of that blame.
I don't know what happened with Granblue nor am I saying Platinum's perfect. But it's neither relevant nor are you answering the questions because you keep playing the "both sides" card instead.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
We're all speculating but it's one PR piece compared to the 4 or so games Microsoft has cancelled and the 2-3 that did see release but came out rough like Crackdown and MCC plus Platinum doubling down on being independent and now the W101 news. If this were a case of "both sides" they would've patched things up but they're not. That's more indicative of the large company screwing over the smaller company than the other way around.
Considering PG have released multiple titles on the Xbox One (and plan to release more) after the scalebound fiasco, I think the relationship isn't nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

This is a case of them not seeing a financial benefit in porting it to xbox, or seeing that the risk vs gain doesn't work for them. They want MS money to make the port happen, hell they basically said so in this interview:
" Kamiya: "It's just a very costly thing to do and we don't have the ability to do it in-house. I don't want to say it will never happen. If the right things come together and we get enough money, it might be possible, but it's just an expensive thing to do. We did want to do it—it's purely for that reason that we couldn't."

In other words, pay us.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like hogwash to me. Should just say it wasn't financially viable, which would be fair enough.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The PC supports OpenGL (and Vulcan) as do the Switch and PS4, the Xbox only supports DirectX, hence the too different bit, the game was originally written for the WiiU which was an OpenGL like environment, the Xbox is the odd one out here.
Source?

As far as I have seen PS4 only supports two APIs - GNM and GNMX

"At the lowest level there's an API called GNM. That gives you nearly full control of the GPU. It gives you a lot of potential power and flexibility on how you program things. Driving the GPU at that level means more work."Sony has talked about its lower-level API at GDC, but wouldn't disclose its name, so at least now we know what it's called (the PS3 equivalent is GCM, for what it's worth) but what about the "wrapper" code supplied by Sony that is supposed to make development simpler?"Most people start with the GNMX API which wraps around GNM and manages the more esoteric GPU details in a way that's a lot more familiar if you're used to platforms like D3D11. We started with the high-level one but eventually we moved to the low-level API because it suits our uses a little better," says O'Connor, explaining that while GNMX is a lot simpler to work with, it removes much of the custom access to the PS4 GPU, and also incurs a significant CPU hit.

A lot of work was put into the move to the lower-level GNM, and in the process the tech team found out just how much work DirectX does in the background in terms of memory allocation and resource management. Moving to GNM meant that the developers had to take on the burden there themselves, as O'Connor explains:

Source

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Anybody insisting SB was cancelled due to "bad management" at Platinum and not Microsoft has no idea how cancellations work. Microsoft published and funded the game so it was down to them to cancel it. I can't see how it's Platinum's fault when at the time they've never ran into difficulties meanwhile Microsoft was cancelling other projects like Phantom Dust and Fable while other games like Crackdown and even Halo were running into trouble.

They never talked about self-publishing or "owning their own IP" at all until the last year or two. Was it a decision they made entirely on their own or did their worst experience influence that.

Also please stop using Inaba's quotes as if he's doing anything but trying to be nice.
Man, you're full of shit. You aren't worth the time even replying to. Talk about being delusional.

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
If this game gets a PS4 and PC Port them this is hard to believe. Sounds more like they are asking for MS' money and/or that they don't believe that an Xbox port is worth the effort because there isn't much target audience left if PC, PS4 and Switch are covered.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't know what happened with Granblue nor am I saying Platinum's perfect. But it's neither relevant nor are you answering the questions because you keep playing the "both sides" card instead.
I'm saying it's inclusion is also necessary to get the full context. There's no question MS's management or mismanagement at that time of it's studios and projects also played a part in Scalebound development. However Platinum's management at the time was not the best either as it was trying to handle by far their biggest project to date which may've also effected their Granblue project and Cygames not renewing their contract to complete it and removing their name off of the credits. It appears it was a valuable learning experience for both MS and PG.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They probably think the sales on Xbox will be so bad that it's not even worth it to port and said this trying to sound more polite.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Platinum person: Hey are we going to make a xbone version?

Other Platinum person: Eh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, do we really need to?

Platinum person: Not really and it will probably sell like 7 copies.

Thats what I feel happened in reality.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With a very small audience and a lot of those audience are probably just waiting for a GP release then it's the best thing for the dev unless MS paid it for themselves, they should pay it and put it on GP

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, Jan.

If you know the truth, please enlighten us. I'm just making an educated guess based on how Microsoft mishandled early Xbox One.
And dismissing anything that may suggest Platinum shares some of the blame too because it doesn't fit your narrative. Including a post by the ex-Creative Producer of Platinum Games during Scalebound's development.

It's amazing how you can't see how stupid you look.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, Jan.

If you know the truth, please enlighten us. I'm just making an educated guess based on how Microsoft mishandled early Xbox One.

Too much dip on the chip.

If you have to pretend that the words of the developer are meaningless to try and push your point forward, it's crazy obvious to anyone else reading that you already had your mind made up and were simply going to pave your way regardless. If the words of the developer aren't swaying you, you asking for further proof is obviously disengenuous at minimum.