• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I will excuse your ignorance if you did not know that as part of STAR WARS Ep. IX: TROS PR hype machine, Porsche and Lucasfilm designers paired together to create a spaceship to be used in TROS. The requirements laid down were as follows:

- A New Republic Light Assault spaceship
- Min: 2 Engines; Max: 4 Engines
- Max Crew: 5
- 2 Pilots
- 2 Front Entries
- Large Rear Cargo Door

This was promoted on the official Porsche YouTube channel and finally the conclusion, the ultimate pairing between sports car elegance and fantasy, has been revealed.

And, yeah...

maxresdefault.jpg

Watch the video for the full glory:

Needless to say, the entire project should've been scrapped and work started over once those designs came about. The ship simply looks nothing like a ship that belongs in STAR WARS, it instead looks like your generic, sci-fi Star Citizen spacecraft. Chris Roberts will accept pre-orders.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's not a static JPEG, so that already ruins the comparison between this and Star Citizen ships.

That aside, I think it looks fine. Doesn't really stand out like some more creative Star Wars designs but I suppose as a promotional tool it does the job.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Looks good to me. Almost like a more modernized mix of an A and U Wing. (AKA, perfect for those requirements?)

What's the problem?

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
so this has nothing to do with star citizen?

whats a star citizen ship vs a star wars ship?

Star Citizen ships have a kind of photo-realism, they lean harder into science than fiction.
Star Wars ships are steeped in fantasy. They aren't meant to be practical, at all.

Nothing wrong with SC designs, but they are wrong for SW.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a bad take on the Gauntlet-class fighter from SW: Rebels.

G2F2BUY4ePEhp2VBt1cb7buh2ImVs1B-FOJmOPHFhxQ.jpg

The wings on this turn up vertically, however, which gives it a lot more personality.

dd0afbf029f26846bc437ca19c7fdbe67c9284c5_hq.jpg

I think the core issue is, the OP design looks too rooted in modern plane design. It looks like something that would be here, today.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a bad take on the Gauntlet-class fighter from SW: Rebels.

G2F2BUY4ePEhp2VBt1cb7buh2ImVs1B-FOJmOPHFhxQ.jpg

The wings on this turn up vertically, however, which gives it a lot more personality.

dd0afbf029f26846bc437ca19c7fdbe67c9284c5_hq.jpg

I think the core issue is, the OP design looks too rooted in modern plane design. It looks like something that would be here, today.

Funny, if you watch the video one of the Porsche designers sketched something similar, something with a more insect design. But, then it got turned into the boring thing you see.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
While the idea of a car company designing a ship for star wars seems kind of cringey, the ship itself looks fine. Star Wars had a variety of looks in their ships. If anything I'd just change the color of the ship to be a little bolder.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like how it looks, but I don't think Star Citizen has a unified look for its ships. It intentionally has differing looks for ships from different designers or factions, right?

luoapp

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I feel like it's the definition of "designed by a committee", just doesn't have a cohesive vision. Also, why the big mouth? Copied from the shape of a manta ray? Then it probly should adopted the "fly wing" shape like the stealth bomb.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't love it but it looks like it would be fine in the spectrum of old EU ships.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
A lot of artists draw/design spaceships all the time. Not sure why they needed porsche to chime in on this.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm with the OP, as soon as I saw it my first thought was that it doesn't look like a SW ship.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I quite like it, might consider this to replace my B-Wing which is has far too many lightyears on the clock and a pain to park.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Got me all excited talking about Star Citizen I was hoping I could go and pay $1000 real money for that in the game. Alas, I cannot. Very disappoint.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Absolutely dumb OP hot take on a subjective design

it looks fine to me and it's weird to try and shit on the Star Citizen ship designs as if they are low brow compared to Star Wars

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Needless to say, the entire project should've been scrapped and work started over once those designs came about. The ship simply looks nothing like a ship that belongs in STAR WARS, it instead looks like your generic, sci-fi Star Citizen spacecraft. Chris Roberts will accept pre-orders.
For the low low price of 1299$

Only available to the 27000$ pack owners or people with super concierge status

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It looks good, It's not as beautiful as the X-wing, Arc-170, A-wing, Y-wing or the LAAT gunship. But it looks neat.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Looks fine to me. There's no one universal ship builder or designer in the Star Wars universe. There's different species, cultures, and designers. Look at the Y-Wing vs. the B-Wing, or how weird the Nebulon B frigate looks.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
It looks like a "space ship".

I didn't know there was a specific "Star Wars" design.

I mean "ships" from Star Wars span a huge gauntlet of bulky and ugly all the way through ridiculously shiny and sleek.

I mean....

latest

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks great and OP if it looked exactly like a Star Wars ship with no Porsche design language it would be pointless as an exercise.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
is this going to be in the movie? god there's something so depressing about that lol

souK4JA.png

also is this a pre-existing ship or something they came up with in the process? because to me this screams "space porsche" way more than the final product, and it looks like a Star Wars ship. A lot of Star Wars ships already used classic car design language so it's weird they ended up with something that is less recognizable as a car chassis.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you really think it doesn't look like a Star Wars ship, just imagine it with a thicker, bulkier profile and with a few random panels torn off to show all the gray greebly shit that Star Wars has all over everything from the OT.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Star Citizen ships have a kind of photo-realism, they lean harder into science than fiction.
Star Wars ships are steeped in fantasy. They aren't meant to be practical, at all.

Nothing wrong with SC designs, but they are wrong for SW.
Star Wars fans gate keeping what belongs and what doesn't belong in Star Wars, it's rather embarrassing, just stop lol

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
OP, rewatch Rogue One. There is already a similar ship in Star Wars cannon, so i guess it does fit in the SW universe.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
I think the somewhat traditional wings are what make it look out of place to me, and not very "Star Wars". If they kept the engine placement but made the wingspan beyond that stubby or non-existent, it would look more like a Star Wars fighter.