• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

A would-be porch pirate is facing charges after getting caught on camera allegedly trying to swipe a package from someone's doorstep in Mississauga, only to have his car get stuck in a snowbank while trying to get away.

The incident unfolded in a video that has been widely shared on social media. Police say it happened around 2:30 p.m. on Jan. 4, in the area of Meadows Boulevard and Erin Centre Boulevard.

The video starts with a man opening his front door, startling another man standing on his front step. You can watch it in the player at the top of this story.

"You're done," the person behind the camera exclaims as the man on the porch runs to his car, saying sorry.

The man then proceeds to reverse his small hatchback onto a pile of snow, where he becomes stuck, frantically spinning his front wheels.

He can then be seen desperately trying to get his car to move — attempting everything from shovelling snow on his hands and knees to pushing his car out of the snow, but to no avail.

"You want me to get you a shovel?" the man who is filming says at one point, while the driver revs his engine, going nowhere.

The man behind the camera later starts giving him even more instructions, telling the other man that his car is front wheel drive, so he needs to get those wheels on the ground if he wants to go anywhere.

Peel Regional Police say a 33-year-old man from Brampton was arrested in connection with the incident and charged with one count of theft under $5,000 and one count of fraud.

He was subsequently released and is scheduled to appear in court at a future date.

full video

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still astounded packages are delivered and left without anyone being in or signed delivery or passed to a neighbour with a note left saying so or failed delivery, pick up at depo or pick a new delivery time.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Lmfao he got stuck and then the cops actually came on time

That was just sad af

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Reading the title, I imagined there would have been significantly more snow. Getting your car stuck with that amount snow around is quite an achievement.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gob_bluth.0.jpg

zero2000

Oct 28, 2017
Almost got himself run over too. He was kneeling in front of the car trying to dig it out while the tires were spinning.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
This happened right up the street from my house. It's crazy to see this make the news. Deserved every bit of it

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I don't get the logic behind this kind of theft either... I mean, you get caught on camera, in assumedly your own car, and you might end up stealing a pair of marigold gloves lol

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
From what I heard this pirate had ordered a laptop to this house using a stolen credit card and was on the way to pick it up. The owners were home.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
"He was stuck in a bit of a pickle there!"
"Want me to get you a shovel?"

I love Canadians lol

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Amazing. The weirdest pettiest form of thievery. It's so odd cause most my packages are like Windex or extension cords... there has to be a better way for you.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the woman at :58 panicking trying to call 911.

"It's calling, it's going to your number, I don't know the number."

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I'm still astounded packages are delivered and left without anyone being in or signed delivery or passed to a neighbour with a note left saying so or failed delivery, pick up at depo or pick a new delivery time.

The system would choke within days. Drivers would be buried under packages, no one ever answers the door even now, couriers aren't supposed to touch customer locations or see people unless necessary due to pandemic and I would never get to go home. It would be an unbelievable disaster.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
On the flipside it is crazy that small amount of snow disabled that car. I want to know the model

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think they needed two squad cars for a porch pirate, but ehh.

However, homie could've gotten away had he not pulled into someone else's driveway. The other moral of the story is to not pull into people's driveways if you don't live there or if you're not a regular enough to have driveway privileges.

Oct 28, 2017
It's a small car, he should have been able to move it if he had used his weight to push the chassis, instead of uselessly dragging from the front

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish all crimes were comically cartoonish like this.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The system would choke within days. Drivers would be buried under packages, no one ever answers the door even now, couriers aren't supposed to touch customer locations or see people unless necessary due to pandemic and I would never get to go home. It would be an unbelievable disaster.

It's that because America is massive in distance and such?

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Porch pirating has escalated with the increase in package delivery. People need to renovate their porch so that packages cannot be seen from the street.