• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing destruction of their supply chain.

They absolutely demolished their supply

According to Aaron Allen, CEO of the restaurant consultancy Aaron Allen & Associates, "quick-service restaurants have long used scarcity in their promotional tool kit," but in this case, there may be more to the issue than just marketing.

On average, he says, it takes a restaurant like Popeyes 18 months to put out a new menu, and ramping up production on a given product is a process that takes layers of approvals, paperwork (often, yes, with literal paper), and considerable risk on the part of the company's decision-makers. The company has more than 2,400 locations, the vast majority of which are franchises, making it one of the biggest fried chicken chains in the country.

"If you're filling a thousand restaurants with inventory, that's millions and millions of dollars worth of product, and you're telling the franchisees, 'You've got to move faster than you've moved before because we've got to get this in.' You're going to get some resistance and pushback — not from the guests but from the internal structures," he says. Buy too much, and you're left with excess inventory and forced to take a loss; buy too little, and you're in the situation Popeyes seems to be in right now.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, I had no idea it still wasn't back which means when it does, everyone will go crazy. It'll be a long ass time before I can try one our, I guess.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
There's been a paper sign hanging off my local one with words scribbled about it 'coming back soon'. Ghetto ass rollout.

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
It's mid-tier. Uses spicy mayonnaise rather than in the breading so that was an immediate deduction. Had this before ever having Chic's, and despite disagreeing with their politics, Chic's was def better.

Didn't realize been sold out this long. Crazy.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
It's mid-tier. Uses spicy mayonnaise rather than in the breading so that was an immediate deduction. Had this before ever having Chic's, and despite disagreeing with their politics, Chic's was def better.

Absolute Cap 🧢🧢🧢🧢🧢
And I won't even get started on yet another "Well sure they donate to orgs who still practice stuff like gay conversion therapy but but but muh Chicken sandwich tho" Chick Fil A - whoops I started myb.

Thing I wanted to say though was how people were so sure the " fad" was over... enough people were left out first time around + the massive consensus of people who had it genuinely loving it+ the amount of free marketing news and social media will do for them= they're definitely going to sell out again ( and depending on their stock and how much they want to keep creating these demands...again and again...)It's McRib frenzy on steroids

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
Absolute Cap 🧢🧢🧢🧢🧢
And I won't even get started on yet another "Well sure they donate to orgs who still practice stuff like gay conversion therapy but but but muh Chicken sandwich tho" Chick Fil A - whoops I started myb.

Thing I wanted to say though was how people were so sure the " fad" was over... enough people were left out first time around + the massive consensus of people who had it genuinely loving it+ the amount of free marketing news and social media will do for them= they're definitely going to sell out again ( and depending on their stock and how much they want to keep creating these demands...again and again...)It's McRib frenzy on steroids

I've had Chic three times in my life. Not that person. Just saying their sandwich was better than Popeyes. Some of my faves are smaller chain/locals so no point referencing them.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

Hey! I rebuke this devaluation of "spicy mayo." A quality spicy hollandaise is a culinary art in itself. If the heat component ios flavorful and complimentary, why does it matter if it's coming from the breading or not?

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
If this is like last time, these were on the menu at Grubhub. I'm going to just order this instead of going to the store which I know will have insane lines, especially this sunday.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they're actually prepared this time.
Staffed up. Process improvements. Realigned product logistics and deliveries.
This sandwich has forced them to be more efficient, and just might make Popeyes a better company overall. lol
I'd genuinely be interested in reading a breakdown about what they had to do with their business after the first launch to make this work.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Had Chick-Fil-A for the first time living in NY. You guys overhyped that shit so much. Popeyes honestly takes the crown by a long mile and it's not even close tbh.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I'm gonna laugh if the viral cultural moment has passed and they are stuck sitting on way too many chicken sandwiches. I didn't get a chance to try it when it first released, hopefully I can get one without waiting in a long ass line.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I'd genuinely be interested in reading a breakdown about what they had to do with their business after the first launch to make this work.

IIRC, the weekend after they suspended sales, their COO went on a Sunday news show apology tour and openly admitted they've controlled costs by utilizing a number of rather "unscalable" processes and that the viral popularity build-up didn't make the transition from expectation to marketing to operations. CNBC reported they've almost immediately brought in consultants to do a post-mortem and after-action.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna laugh if the viral cultural moment has passed and they are stuck sitting on way too many chicken sandwiches. I didn't get a chance to try it when it first released, hopefully I can get one without waiting in a long ass line.

Nah bruh, my friends, family and I have been waiting extremely patiently for this to come back, I expect everyone to go crazy again

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, the weekend after they suspended sales, their COO went on a Sunday news show apology tour and openly admitted they've controlled costs by utilizing a number of rather "unscalable" processes and that the viral popularity build-up didn't make the transition from expectation to marketing to operations. CNBC reported they've almost immediately brought in consultants to do a post-mortem and after-action.
huh. Interesting. I'd really be interested in seeing what changes they had to make. It's extremely obvious that they couldn't scale up nearly fast enough for how viral this went.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
I might finally get to enjoy one of these sammiches. Hoping to score one some time before Christmas.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Fantastic news!

I'm going to need to find a better location though, as the one closest to me is on a one-way street and the drive through "lane" is really short, hard to get into, and wraps around the building. If it's even a little backed up I'll be sitting IN the street at an intersection with my blinker on like an asshole.

Reading comment replies to that Chick fil a diss and some people really acting like Popeyes slapped their momma

Popeyes: "great idea, let's add some Slap Ya Mama dust to the sandwiches too!"