• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

$3.99
Popeyes-Chicken-Sandwich.jpg

Popeyes says the sandwich will include a buttermilk-battered and hand-breaded white meat chicken filet, served on a toasted brioche bun. It will be topped with two barrel-cured pickles and a choice of classic mayo or a spicy Cajun spread.

Miami-based Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen is hoping it can take a bite out of Chick-fil-A's sales with the launch of its first chicken sandwich.

The sandwich sports a buttered bun and pickles, and resembles Chick-fil-A's popular chicken sandwich.

Popeyes, which last year moved its headquarters from metro Atlanta to South Florida, is owned by Burger King parent Restaurant Brands International (NYSE: QSR). The chain is calling the new sandwich its biggest launch since the introduction of crawfish to its menu in 1989.

The sandwich launches nationwide Aug. 12 following a test launch in California on Thursday and Friday.

Popeyes is not the only fast food chain that is looking to compete with the Atlanta-based Chik-fil-A.

In July, McDonald's Corp. (NYSE: MCD) franchisees asked for a southern-style chicken sandwich similar to Chick-fil-A's.

There is a reason competing chains want to mimic the Atlanta-based chain's chicken sandwich.

Last edited:

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chick Fil Trash wish they could be in the same level as Popeye's

This is a perfect display of asserting dominance by the king.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Sounds good. Especially the bun. Problem for them is the one nearest to me is about 25 miles away and Chik fil A has 3 restaurants within 5 miles.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will give it a whirl, but it will take a serious sandwich to dethrone the CFA Spicy Chicken.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Looks good, but it's honestly the texture that makes CFA good. A lot of these sandwiches have weird grissly bits that CFA sandwiches dont seem to have.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Popeye's will always shit on Chic-Fil-A with or without a spicy sandwich. That said, that sandwich looks fantastic.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm ready to blow my macros for a shot at this, lets go.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I don't eat chicken anymore, but fuck chik-first-a and their prejudiced school cafeteria level chicken sandwiches.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
The best fast food chicken sandwich I've ever had was from Popeyes like 15 years ago when I was in college.

It had spicy chicken, swiss, bacon and some creamy sauce. God it was so good, when I moved back home it was no where to be found.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I'll fuck with this.

But, honestly, the Shake Shack chicken sandwich is SO much better than chic-fil-a. Plus you're not giving money to their agenda.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Dang, about time Popeyes had their own chicken sandwiches. I may be wrong but I feel like the only ones they had were the po boys.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I had one of these a while back and it's great. I've only ever had Chick-fil-a once before and see no need to go back considering their horrible politics, but from what I remember this beats it. I don't do fast food often, but I'll grab one of these once and a while.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Sorry but I like MY chicken sandwiches to come with a side of oppression.

Actually, I just wish there was one close enough to me to try this out. Popeye's is tasty.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can count on one hand the number of times I have not enjoyed any kind of real fried chicken anything. Even KFC if it's made fresh, is tasty. But spicy fried chicken is my weakness. We have a place (two or three outlets so a chain) in Seattle called Ezell's that does spicy fried chicken tenders that I stick ona. Brioche bun. A quick sauce of mayo, sour cream, crushed garlic, lime juice and Tabasco (or any vinegar-y hot sauce). MY GOD.

Don't waste your time on Ezell's regular (non spicy) and they have bone-in, wings and thighs and breasts and whatnot but the tenders can be immediately bunned for maximal satisfaction. The Ezell's rolls are OK too but too small for a sammich.

Ezell's also had some domestic drama and the divorced husband lost the rights to the name but had his recipe, so there's a rival called "Heaven Sent" which is preachy and also dicked me over by giving my whole order to a delivery service with a slack jawed apologetic shrug, forcing me to wait another 25 minutes while they made my order again. So they're dead to me.

ZeCJhjD.jpg

I've also taken to marinating and sauteeing chicken thighs overnight and then coating 'em in potato starch and panko breadcrumbs and air frying that. AND THEN SANDWICHING THEM.

Pro-tip if you want a change from rolls or buns, then Trader Joe's sliced Brioche White bread is basically the perfect fried chicken vector.

Last edited:

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a hard time not trying new shit when it comes out. Had the Impossible Whopper last week, the Cheetos chicken sandwich a few days ago, Wendy's spicy nuggets yesterday and now I want to try this.

Help.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I wish wish wish I had a Popeye's near me. Closest we have to it is Chik-Fil-A and fuck that (admittedly delicious) homophobic trash.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had this a couple of times. It's tasty, but not nearly on the same level as a CFA spicy chicken sandwich imho. Not even close imho.

It does have some tasty pickles on it though.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? It's been on sale and advertised here in CT for the past two weeks at least.

I had it like a week ago, was pretty damn good imo.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had this a couple of times. It's tasty, but not nearly on the same level as a CFA spicy chicken sandwich imho. Not even close imho.

It does have some tasty pickles on it though.
Damn really?

When I go to CFA I always get their spicy chicken sandwich, spread some of their CFA sauce on it, large 🍟 and lemonade 👌

I'm willing to try this out later today.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Theres no way in hell Im going to eat at Chik fil A ever again so I will try this when I find it.

Then again, if you live at a spot where you have this kind of food available at a local joint, thats my number 1 choice everytime.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, wish I had known about this earlier when getting lunch

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
So this is a permanent menu item and not a temporary promotion, right? Cuz I still got 2.5 more weeks of dieting, and I love me some Popeye's!

DeepSearch

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Excited to give this a try. I've been looking to find a worthwhile replacement sandwich ever since I stopped buying CFA's bigot chicken.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
it's not that hard when it's FUCK CHICK-FIL-A off the bat (and anyone that still eats there).

that looks delicious. I will have one one day.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I go to popeyes for fish/shrimp way before their chicken, but rather eat that over chick fil a any day of the week.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The problem with chick-fil-a's version is lack of sauce. They should be using that Sauce they have in packets on it. then its great.

but this baby sounds good, id do the cajun tho not mayo.