• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mrs Stinkles is ethnically Chinese and has a chronic, profound , permanent cough with no underlying health issue- it's more or less a mild physical tic that she's had for the twenty years I've known her and it's not all that noticeable... UNTIL NOW!

I've taken to pretending I don't know her and calling her Wuhan Solo.

but seriously- boy does she ever get side eye when she coughs in public right now....

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Really shitty of them if this is related to him being Asian/corona virus

They probably going to ignore it and just remove the commercial entirely and hope we forget with a new commercial and a hot deal on chicken.
or
double down

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, if I remember right they recently jetted a POC heavy marketing firm for a generic one too in the last few weeks....

I was kinda thinking maybe this was an unfortunate co-incidence but your post followed by reading this article makes it seem like something their new marketing firm would definitely pull.

afrotech.com

Does Popeyes Prove Marketing & Advertising Is A Harsh Industry For Black Creators? - AfroTech

Back in August, the release of Popeyes’ infamous chicken sandwich caused mass hysteria across the nation, however, it was their social media presence that had all eyes on the chicken chain. It was one tweet and two words sent to the brand’s competitor that officially won the internet and...

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea people actually associated the corona virus with "Asian" in the first place. Wow. People are really THAT stupid.

I was in one of those bourbon chicken spots in my mall and this white dude asks the lady if they have corona. I loudly said that was some ignorant shit and the black lady with him yelled at him while looking so embarrassed. Some folks just have zero sense.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does Popeye's have any track record of doing this before? I know it's hard to believe around here, but sometimes an edit is just an edit.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
If they cut out an LGBT couple people sure wouldn't be saying an edit is just an edit.

Editing commercials isn't done haphazardly most of the time.

Oct 29, 2017
You didn't find the Black guy singing church hymns over Popeyes racist? How about the fat black guy treating an sandwich like an sexual object?

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There looks to be other Asian's in the commercial.

Yeah, but in the original the asian dude enjoying the sandwich was the "stinger" so to speak. The last thing you see in the commercial, now it's just the sandwich. Marketing people think of this sort of shit. They probably kept the others in so they can say the last thing they want you to see is the sandwich itself as the "stinger". But if they truly wanted the that it would have been that way originally. I honestly cant think of another reason they would change it now, other than corona inspired racist panic.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well that's blatant. Unfortunately anti-Asian sentiment is on the rise, had a customer go on a 10 minute anti-chinese rant to me the other day. Took all my willpower not to go off on him, can't afford to lose my job.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
This is definitely a publicity stunt like what every brand was "accidentally" doing during black history month a while back. Do something shady but in a small enough way they can garner plausible deniability but still reap the publicity. Ruins my Popeye's appetite a bit.