• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Back in the day I would record television basically 24/7 and still have a pretty enormous collection of VHS tapes of television circa late 90's early 2000s. For over a decade now, I've been routinely ripping these tapes to my own home media server as backups so I can get rid of the original tapes. Recently, I found a VHS tape full of one of my favorite shows cartoon network ever aired, The Popeye Show. The Popeye Show was an anthology show which would show 3 episodes of Popeye the sailor man, but would bookend the episodes with tons of trivia or facts. Each episode had a theme, like one would be about world war II era popeye shorts or something. One of the episodes I saw today while ripping this tape was on the origins of popeye. For example, they showed the Betty Boop cartoon that was Popeye's animated debut (in film, popeye is a spinoff of betty boop). Anyways, near the end of the episode, they talk about the original design pages for popeye and throw this fact out, and it blew my mind.

Now, I admit, for years, I've actually noticed popeye doesn't have any teeth in the show. Unlike every other character, popeye is always shown with pink gums when he smiles:

hPBSbBa.jpg

You can see this in cartoons, too:

GNSENR0.jpg

The episode explains why -- apparently this is old-school sailor humor. Popeye is intended to have scurvy from being at sea constantly. The episode explains that losing your teeth is a common effect of having scurvy. Over time, particularly in the later 60's and beyond popeye cartoons, they sort of dropped this trait, but if you look at old popeye cartoons, you'll notice he's toothless.

What a weird design.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't spinach have Vitamin C?

That's another thing: Popeye didn't used to eat spinach. That's an invention of later cartoons, his original comics had him rarely eating spinach, and it didn't quite have the same magic properties. The original popeye comics were actually adventure comics about high seas adventures and pirates and stuff.

Oh, and I guess I should also say: Popeye predates his film appearances. He began as a serialized comic strip.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Less believable than Popeye's body shape is that anyone would ever fight over Olive Oil.

Bluto could do a lot better....

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does it explain why he lives in a garbage can?

cause he yam what he yam and that's all what he yam

The episode also says that popeye was supposed to be jewish, although his religion is slightly obscured because of the time period. Apparently "I am what I am and that's all what I am" is a jewish proverb or something?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
One of those things that is neat to know, but you question why you need to know it. Like ghost writer is the ghost of a escaped slave that was rundown and killed by slave hunting dogs

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of those things that is neat to know, but you question why you need to know it. Like ghost writer is the ghost of a escaped slave that was rundown and killed by slave hunting dogs

Popeye the comic predates world war II, so presumably this played much better and was more obvious in those days when scurvy wasn't quite as uncommon.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where can I see this episode?

I guess you could come over and watch the tape
As far as I know, there will never be a home release of this show. It was supposed to be a logistical nightmare to air, as they went through and restored the original versions of the show including original openings which had been destroyed for years due to popeye changing ownership rights. They would recreate openings for shorts that no longer existed, and also air episodes that were in legal limbo.

Mike Lazzo, the asshole behind space ghost coast to coast and adult swim, was apparently the show runner, and he is notorious for burying his old shows.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a tangerine today.

the show also talks about how Wimpy was a much more prominent character in the comics, and his trademark stuff about hamburgers wasn't a character trait. Also, bluto apparently almost never appears in the comics, and isn't the main antagonist.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I know, there will never be a home release of this show. It was supposed to be a logistical nightmare to air, as they went through and restored the original versions of the show including original openings which had been destroyed for years due to popeye changing ownership rights. They would recreate openings for shorts that no longer existed, and also air episodes that were in legal limbo.

Mike Lazzo, the asshole behind space ghost coast to coast and adult swim, was apparently the show runner, and he is notorious for burying his old shows.

Wow. So you're sitting on something that's pretty neat and rare. Recording tv shows on VHS paid off!

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. So you're sitting on something that's pretty neat and rare. Recording tv shows on VHS paid off!

It and toonheads, which was basically the same show but about all other cartoons besides popeye, were the best kinds of show old Cartoon Network aired. Apparently Toon Heads is another one of those shows that'll never get a rerelease. I have several episodes of that backed up now too. I have this one, for example, all about world war II propaganda cartoons from the US Army, it's super interesting. They actually showed an animated hitler on cartoon network.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, I have episodes of this show called "Wait till your father gets home" recorded that cartoon network used to air at like 4 in the morning back in 1998-ish. Holy shit what an awful show, I can't believe cartoon network got away with airing this. It's a show about a conservative dad in the 1960's living with his liberal children and the wacky misunderstandings they have. The dad is played by tom bosley. There is a neighbor who is paranoid about the cold war and hates counterculture, and he spews forth awful, awful rhetoric. There is one episode where he goes off about "pinko jews, communists, wetbacks, negros, and all the other colors of the brown rainbow." The titular father is supposed to be the most grounded character who listens to all sides and then comes out in the middle. Terrible show.

Also, all the characters look like prototypes of the characters from family guy:

St8de4B.jpg

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

It's the shorts that are the problem or the bookend segments? Warner have been releasing the Fleischer/Famous popeye for a while now - originally just on dvd and now on both dvd & bd, and afaik have already released everything up to 1949 (including my all time fave popeye meets sinbad, which I'd never have dreamed I'd be able to watch in good quality :) ). Or is this some other popeye show?

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the shows that are the problem or the bookend segments? Warner have been releasing popeye for a while now originally just on dvd and now on both dvd & bd, and afaik have already released everything up to 49 (including my all time fave popeye meets sinbad, which I'd never have dreamed I'd be able to watch in good quality :) ). Or is this some other popeye show?

I'd imagine its probably a combination of rights issues, and most importantly that the person behind the show is proud to shun his past. Mike Lazzo has a notorious history for burying his past work, not just space ghost but all his old shows. Apparently, a good way to get on his bad side is to mention you are a fan of one of the old shows he produced. He doesn't like fans of his stuff, or really his fans at all. So any type of groundswell effort to get them to rerelease the show would be met with derision.

Although, it's worth noting Lazzo left cartoon network recently, so never say never.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine its probably a combination of rights issues, and most importantly that the person behind the show is proud to shun his past. Mike Lazzo has a notorious history for burying his past work, not just space ghost but all his old shows. Apparently, a good way to get on his bad side is to mention you are a fan of one of the old shows he produced. He doesn't like fans of his stuff, or really his fans at all. So any type of groundswell effort to get them to rerelease the show would be met with derision.

Although, it's worth noting Lazzo left cartoon network recently, so never say never.

Ah, that makes sense. I was really surprised about the way warner released popeye. As far as I know, they haven't skipped or cut a single ep so far, no matter how problematic the content. And some of those early episodes are reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly problematic, and make very uncomfortable viewing. They just have the same disclaimer the Looney Tunes Golden Collection had. I applaud WB for making sure this stuff was preserved properly.

Wish Tom & Jerry had followed suit rather then just cancel the BD run so early.

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017
The original strip version of Popeye is the One Piece of its day, with the characters often going off on huge, wild adventures. I remember reading one story where Popeye fought a guy for fourteen strips. It was impressive but even more so when I remembered the strip ran daily so newspaper readers got to watch two brawlers beat the shit out of each other for two solid weeks. It was beautiful.

Also, I have episodes of this show called "Wait till your father gets home" recorded that cartoon network used to air at like 4 in the morning back in 1998-ish.
That nonsense originally aired in 1972! I can't imagine it was any good back then either.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That nonsense originally aired in 1972! I can't imagine it was any good back then either.

I have this one episode recorded where the dad wants to hire a new employee at his business because he's forcing the elderly receptionist to retire because she keeps making mistakes that cost him business. It turns into this awful episode about equal opportunity employment, where black people come in and make all sorts of insane demands. At one point, an obviously extremely gay character comes in, dressed up like elton john, and calls the dad sweetie and cutie and stuff, and the dad EXPLODES in fury.

In the end, the moral of the episode is retirement is bullshit, the older generation is fine as is and should keep their jobs. He brings the elderly woman back. Because, you know, at least she's not black or gay or anything.

Oh hey, found a clip on youtube about how much the characters in this show suck:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I have this one episode recorded where the dad wants to hire a new employee at his business because he's forcing the elderly receptionist to retire because she keeps making mistakes that cost him business. It turns into this awful episode about equal opportunity employment, where black people come in and make all sorts of insane demands. At one point, an obviously extremely gay character comes in, dressed up like elton john, and calls the dad sweetie and cutie and stuff, and the dad EXPLODES in fury.

In the end, the moral of the episode is retirement is bullshit, the older generation is fine as is and should keep their jobs. He brings the elderly woman back. Because, you know, at least she's not black or gay or anything.

This sounds like a fox news wet dream lol

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Some people are so light you can't tell that they're puerto rican, watch out"

*laugh track in a cartoon to let you know "this is the joke"*

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017

The episode also says that popeye was supposed to be jewish, although his religion is slightly obscured because of the time period. Apparently "I am what I am and that's all what I am" is a jewish proverb or something?

There's a Hebrew phrase 'I am that I am', so Popeye's quote might be derived from that.

Popeye also made Kosher meat:
d2e5cafc8d104acb13cde619705f0c61.gif

Eraser_Arcade

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I have episodes of this show called "Wait till your father gets home" recorded that cartoon network used to air at like 4 in the morning back in 1998-ish. Holy shit what an awful show, I can't believe cartoon network got away with airing this. It's a show about a conservative dad in the 1960's living with his liberal children and the wacky misunderstandings they have. The dad is played by tom bosley. There is a neighbor who is paranoid about the cold war and hates counterculture, and he spews forth awful, awful rhetoric. There is one episode where he goes off about "pinko jews, communists, wetbacks, negros, and all the other colors of the brown rainbow." The titular father is supposed to be the most grounded character who listens to all sides and then comes out in the middle. Terrible show.

Also, all the characters look like prototypes of the characters from family guy:

St8de4B.jpg
I remember watching that terrible show on Cartoon Network. Didn't it aired right after Capitol Critters? (took me awhile to look up the name) Another show I didn't liked, but watched anyways, lol.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018

"I AM THAT I AM" is how God describes himself when Moses asks what his name is in the book of Exodus. He is henceforth referred to as "I Am".

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the show creator revealed years after it was canceled. That why reading and words were so important to him. I will try to find the article
I wasn't even sure if we were talking about the same Ghostwriter because of how not-ever-suggested that was (as far as 32-year-old me remembers from when single-digit-age me would have seen this show) but sure enough, it's mentioned on the wikipedia page.

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017

Oh hey, found a clip on youtube about how much the characters in this show suck:

All I remember from Cartoon Network was seeing the obligatory guest appearance by Don Knotts but this sounds horrific. I sort of want to watch it.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
A few years back IDW comics had a big event where a lot of their titles were going to cross over with Mars Attacks! I wound up picking up Mars Attacks!/Popeye on a whim. I was kind of surprised by some of the elements in the comic that I didn't really see much in the cartoons. I guess The Sea Hag was Popeye's primary villain in the comics, and Eugene the Jeep featured very prominently.
8jOv9Rt.jpg

I don't remember too much about the plot. The Sea Hag somehow summoned the martians and typical Mars Attacks stuff happened. Popeye was actually out of commission for most of the plot. The ending made me genuinely laugh.
Popeye finally shows up and sees all the robots and everything and punches them all back into space. A character says, "Way to go, Popeye! You defeated the Martians!"

Then Popeye replies "What's a Martian?"

Edit: Actually, looking at Google Images, it looks like Pappy may have had the "What's a Martian" line.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A few years back IDW comics had a big event where a lot of their titles were going to cross over with Mars Attacks! I wound up picking up Mars Attacks!/Popeye on a whim. I was kind of surprised by some of the elements in the comic that I didn't really see much in the cartoons. I guess The Sea Hag was Popeye's primary villain in the comics, and Eugene the Jeep featured very prominently.
8jOv9Rt.jpg

I don't remember too much about the plot. The Sea Hag somehow summoned the martians and typical Mars Attacks stuff happened. Popeye was actually out of commission for most of the plot. The ending made me genuinely laugh.
Popeye finally shows up and sees all the robots and everything and punches them all back into space. A character says, "Way to go, Popeye! You defeated the Martians!"

Then Popeye replies "What's a Martian?"

That basically sums up comics popeye. He has the personality and intellect of Goku, basically.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of a dope twist. As kid I had a lot of theories on it but I never thought they'd go that dark with it.

"Ghostwriter" producer and writer Kermit Frazier revealed "Ghostwriter's" true identity in a recent interview with The New York Times' blog The Local. "Ghostwriter was a runaway slave during the Civil War," Frazier said. "He was killed by slave catchers and their dogs as he was teaching other runaway slaves how to read in the woods. His soul was kept in the book and released once Jamal [Sheldon Turnipseed] discovered the book."

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Since it has been mentioned a lot in this thread, let me tell you that the original E. C. Segar comic strip (Thimble Theatre) is great. Full of inventiveness, humor and old-school adventure. Big influence on Carl Barks' duck comics, too.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That basically sums up comics popeye. He has the personality and intellect of Goku, basically.

I'm curious now, who will win in a fight between Goku and Popeye? Goku is basically a God but I still think that Popeye could beat him with his cartoon powers