• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
PD made 2 full scale GTs and a .5 one last gen but it seems like their only game this gen would be GT Sport and we will be going into next gen without a full scale GT for PS4. What do you guys think happened?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do people not understand that games have kept becoming bigger and harder and more expensive to make as time has gone on? It won't be better next gen.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
PD made 2 full scale GTs and a .5 one last gen but it seems like their only game this gen would be GT Sport and we will be going into next gen without a full scale GT for PS4. What do you guys think happened?

GT Sport is a full scale GT and with the amount of updates it essentially made another game, and was all free, instead of charging you for another game

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
There's some things you have to consider:

- GTS was effectively a reboot of the series and the new standard of quality. GT5 and GT6 reused a looooot of content from previous games, like straight up using PS2 models.
- GT6 was released after the PS4 launched. Assuming that GT7 is really going to launch alongside or close to the PS5, it'd be essentially the same thing.
- And the obvious, a new generation requieres more time to develop.

Only getting Gran Turismo Sport isn't really that surprising. If they so wanted, they probably could've made a GT7 and a GT8 doing the same thing as before, simply porting the assets without giving a shit about quality content.

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
There were 3 of these threads last generation and this week alone there have been 4.
What impact do you guys think the next generation will have on the post frequency of threads like these?
Frankly, I'm concerned.

*lazy poster rhetoric intensifies*

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You can say that for the majority of the studios, development time increases with every new gen, maybe with ray tracing and other new techniques devs can cut down time somehow.

Oct 25, 2017
All Sony studios are releasing less games except Sony San Diego which makes MLB yearly. PD does seem to deliver less for how long they take to make games, but the last mainline GT could easily have been a PS5 launch game and that would have made 2.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Too early? GT6 came out after PS4. And PS5 comes out next year. So there is still a chance GT7 will arrive this gen!

Seriously though, yeah this is the disappointment of the generation for me. And the closure of Evolution Studios. PS4 is great at many things but for racing it really dropped the ball.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect that there's only going ot be one GT next-gen also. Unless they decide to do some spinoff. What's the point of making new entries in a racing game if it's largely just going to be the same game with more content? You can just keep building off the first release. That's what they've done with GTS. Save up for the next big evolution with the next console.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Is this type of thread the new "sure is looking good" meme around here?

The answer is the same as the previous threads - more polished game, more detailed assets, longer development time, longer support - etc, etc. There's no reason to develop a GT Sport 2 if they can keep improving and updating the current one. It's also a reason to keep your PS+ subscription active since the main thing about GTS are the online features.

Oct 31, 2017
They took some shortcuts with GT5/6 in the car modelling department. Did you forget the whole standard cars debacle?

GranTurismo5_UglyStandard.jpg

I'll take more development time in GT Sport if it means less "standard cars" lol. The cars in GT Sport are probably the most detailed in gaming and partly why PD takes so long in developing their game this gen.

Compare those standard cars to the photorealistic works of art we get in GT Sport and it starts to sort of make sense why PD is so slow....

1563005920-20190713093401.jpg

d5kF5hy.png

1563005874-20190713093340.jpg

Modern day game development also makes less reason for them to release a new GT game this gen when they can keep updating GT Sport with more features.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
GT5/6 were embarrassments to be honest.

GT Sport is way better than both of them. They returned to perfectionism they were always known for.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, OP left out the fact that GT6 launched after the PS4 had already released. I sure as hell don't want that situation again and have GT7 be held back by PS4 specs and launches a week after the PS5 comes out.

Plus, Polyphony tries to do everything in-house, and with the amount of detail they're able to put in now it's obviously going to lengthen dev time.

GTSport
38dGranTurismoSPORT2018.png

GT6
ae0CircuitdelaSarthe201.jpg

On top of that, GTSport has had almost monthly updates since release. There's been continuous free cars/track content for 2 years and still ongoing instead of saving all of that up for another PS4 GT.

Currently here's a list of all the post launch DLC content in terms of cars and tracks.

DLC Tracks
DLC Cars

Last edited:

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand these takes on a studio's previous gen output vs current, do you not see the differences? I'm sure the same devs if given 8-bit projects could churn out more games.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ, how many games do you guys need? Isn't GT Sport enough?
I guess it depends on if you like online racing or not. I've been waiting for a proper single player GT this whole generation. At first I assumed we would get a PS4 remaster of GT6, never bought GT6, had already swapped consoles when it released. Then I assumed Sport was just an experimental title while they were finishing GT7, and I don't have PS+ so I've just dabbled a bit with the demo of Sport.

In short, no GT Sport is not enough. :P

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it depends on if you like online racing or not. I've been waiting for a proper single player GT this whole generation. At first I assumed we would get a PS4 remaster of GT6, never bought GT6, had already swapped consoles when it released. Then I assumed Sport was just an experimental title while they were finishing GT7, and I don't have PS+ so I've just dabbled a bit with the demo of Sport.

In short, no GT Sport is not enough. :P
There's a full single player campaign now.

Nov 8, 2017
Didnt affect turn 10s output, in fact they produced more this gen.

It's hard to find exact numbers, but Polyphony is listed at ~170 staff on it's website, while LinkedIn has Turn 10 in the "201-500" employee range. Playground Games is also around there nowadays but was smaller in the past. It's concievable that the difference in output is some combination of corporate culture, staff counts, and the ambition of a given game. Both Turn 10 and Playground have been noted as very efficient and unusually productive developers even compared to other western studios.

Nov 23, 2017
There's some things you have to consider:

- GTS was effectively a reboot of the series and the new standard of quality. GT5 and GT6 reused a looooot of content from previous games, like straight up using PS2 models.
- GT6 was released after the PS4 launched. Assuming that GT7 is really going to launch alongside or close to the PS5, it'd be essentially the same thing.
- And the obvious, a new generation requieres more time to develop.

Only getting Gran Turismo Sport isn't really that surprising. If they so wanted, they probably could've made a GT7 and a GT8 doing the same thing as before, simply porting the assets without giving a shit about quality content.
It would be by far the dumbest first party move in recent history to release GT7 on PS4 after PS5 is out.

Selane

Oct 27, 2017
There were 3 of these threads last generation and this week alone there have been 4.
What impact do you guys think the next generation will have on the post frequency of threads like these?
Frankly, I'm concerned.

*lazy poster rhetoric intensifies*
Yeah, the quality of this forum is going down the shitter, half of the threads are dumb meme/fad garbage at this point. I actually had to download a filtering extension just so I don't need to see them any more.

*adds "last gen" to filter list just underneath "fanart following"*

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
The premium car, standard car thing they pulled last gen was one of the reasons they had two games out.

As a studio they seem to take way too much time delivering on content, even GT Sport was a mess when it comes to content when it came out.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The premium car, standard car thing they pulled last gen was one of the reasons they had two games out.

As a studio they seem to take way too much time delivering on content, even GT Sport was a mess when it comes to content when it came out.
It's not only that. It took them almost two years for adding rain to a few tracks and dynamic tod also didn't make it over :/

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
It's not only that. It took them almost two years for adding rain to a few tracks and dynamic tod also didn't make it over :/
They are not alone in that respect. Turn 10 has done the same thing most of this generation when it comes to weather. I really hope that with the next generation we see these developers having dynamic weather on each track, full day and night cycles, far greater pit options and simulation settings that we see on PC sims seeing that they will be sporting a really good CPU on the console this time round.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They are not alone in that respect. Turn 10 has done the same thing most of this generation when it comes to weather. I really hope that with the next generation we see these developers having dynamic weather on each track, full day and night cycles, far greater pit options and simulation settings that we see on PC sims seeing that they will be sporting a really good CPU on the console this time round.
Yes, it took turn10 also that long when it comes to weather, although it is more dynamic than with GTS. The thing with Gran Turismo though is that they did it last gen already and couldn't do it with GTS.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, you're right about standard cars. But premium cars in GT5 were outstanding too and if I remember correctly, the game had about 200 premium cars at launch.

SuzukaCircuit2.jpg

77qIS.jpg

5194695891_8deb6c25c9_z%20-%20Copy%20%282%29%20-%20Copy.jpg

Just imagine this quality for a 2010 game on a 2006 console.
I mean we shouldn't talk about GT5/6 like they didn't have much premium cars.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Gts is gaas. They've been supporting it with lots of updates. Who knows how long till they replace the platform with a newer one.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Yes, it took turn10 also that long when it comes to weather, although it is more dynamic than with GTS. The thing with Gran Turismo though is that they did it last gen already and couldn't do it with GTS.
This is something that had me confused too. My hope is that they get to a position where they are really challenging Turn 10 and Slightly Mad Studios.