• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Its actually amazing how well marketing works , when you see people eating corporate marketing points out of their hands and repeating them ad-nauseum. Doesn't help when games media mostly works as a speaker phone to amplify the marketing.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Star Citizen is borked without an SSD.

Yeah thats the only game I could think of, but even that is 'just' a very rough technical alpha and not necessarily a game yet. (Haven't tried the latest release in half a year though)

but its not officially supported in the games on it.

Isn't it?

Pc gaming holding back consoles. Now that's a take.

Yeah, that's not what I said.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I mean, Xbox Series X is going to be more powerful than the overwhelming majority of gaming PCs that people are using today.

SXS isn't even as powerful as my current PC which will be over 4 years old by the time it releases... much less the monster I'll be building at the end of the year.

On topic, I don't understand the point of this article. Yeah, it's a big improvement in hardware. I wouldn't call hardware "features" though. Features are things like mod support, infinite backwards compatibility, emulation, choice of input methods, ability to customize a game's appearance/performance, etc.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
It's not a PC if I can't buy games from other stores. If I can install Steam on it, then it's a PC.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
My mistake, I misread/misinterpreted that sentence there.
No problem: ). I juat have a problem with many media outlets wording it like 120fps will be for all games.

It just depends on the developer, 120fps makes sence for fortnite and other maybe a bit smaller games. But i doubt that even dmc6 or re8 will be above 60fps. I think most (late) ps5 and xbsx games will focus on 8k sadly bc by then 8k displays are in more households (or 4k with graphics to the max at 30/60)

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
SXS isn't even as powerful as my current PC which will be over 4 years old by the time it releases... much less the monster I'll be building at the end of the year.

On topic, I don't understand the point of this article. Yeah, it's a big improvement in hardware. I wouldn't call hardware "features" though. Features are things like mod support, infinite backwards compatibility, emulation, choice of input methods, ability to customize a game's appearance/performance, etc.

Its def more powerful than your GPU

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Those things aren't exactly my favorite things about PC gaming. The backwards compatibility is indeed great, but it isn't nearly as comprehensive as on PC. Microsoft's doing a great job with Series X though. It's a really compelling package.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Those things aren't exactly my favorite things about PC gaming. The backwards compatibility is indeed great, but it isn't nearly as comprehensive as on PC. Microsoft's doing a great job with Series X though. It's a really compelling package.
For real, two of my favorite experiences last year were playing Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and The Darkness 2 at 4k60.

Oct 27, 2017
How about discord access or something like that for the consoles? Without some type of actual chat forum rooms that's actually functional, these consoles are severely outmatched for any online accessibility compared to the PC counterparts.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Don't really agree at all, apart from being able to change graphic settings and framerate to your liking, which is a huge plus on PC, stuff like mods, trainers, cheat engine, downloading game saves etc., are some of the main reasons why I prefer PC for my multiplats and why the experience with a game is so much better for me, also adds a ton of replay value to games I would have otherwise dropped on consoles, consoles are just really limited compared to the freedom you get on PC and that stuff ain't coming to consoles anytime soon.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Thats a pricy fucking GPU and even then I'm not too sure. How does that stack up against RTX 2070 / 2080 in real world situations? And how would that hold up when you consider Ray tracing?

A Titan X Pascal is almost exactly equal to a 2080 in real-world situations. At the max overclock for each card the Titan pulls ahead and is roughly equal to a 2080 Super. When you toss ray tracing into the mix Pascal cards fall way behind. Which is why I'll be building a 3080Ti machine as soon as they're available. Until then I can just disable ray tracing since that is a thing you can do on PC.

Slower

Because its true

lol ok

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
The most important PC feature I'd value is the flexibility of choosing worse graphics to opt for higher performance.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
NVMe hype is way overblown, my NVMe drive seems pretty much identical to my SATA SSD in every respect other than benchmarking. And of course consoles will have either zero modding or very limited, no ability to cheat in single player games unless the developer has paid microtransactions, pay to play online or backup saves, limited backwards compatibility (I wonder about PS3 support and how ubiquitous Xbox, Xbox 360 support will be), and games will still likely target 4k 30 fps due to expectations of graphic fidelity and ray tracing.

how many games are even designed with NVMe in mind?

like... two?

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Can't really dispute many of those things. Consoles are being brought up a good deal with the new upgrades.

One thing that consoles don't have...access to numerous online game stores to find the best deals. Outside of not being able to upgrade parts(outside of storage) or changing graphical settings for best performance.

The Series X and PS5 will likely equate to a mid-level or so 2020 gaming build by the time the new Nvidia/AMD GPUs are released and it will further change in comparison as the years go on between generations.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
A Titan X Pascal is almost exactly equal to a 2080 in real-world situations. At the max overclock for each card the Titan pulls ahead. When you toss ray tracing into the mix Pascal cards fall way behind. Which is why I'll be building a 3080Ti machine as soon as they're available. Until then I can just disable ray tracing since that is a thing you can do on PC.

lol ok

5700xt is already as fast as a 1080ti running at about 1800-1850 mhz. Series x is over 20% faster than a 5700xt before factoring in any possible architectural improvements RDNA 2 might provide. Add in VRS and the rapidly declining performance of pascal in newer titles and ya your GPU isnt faster. Should low level API usage increase next gen i cant even imagine what a disaster its going to be on pascal GPUs

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Is polygon really thinking we will get AAA games above 60fps? yea thats not happening. For simple titles like tetris and maybe some 2d games and games that are not focused on graphics like Fortnite sure. But i really cant imagine that we will see Assassins Creed "Ragnarok" or whatever is gonna be called or watch dogs legions at framerates above 60.

Lets them first figure out if they are gonna lets go the 30fps standard for 60 before demanding 120fps.

We've already got a load of 60fps titles this gen , Id expect things like Fortnite, Overwatch and R6:Siege to go above 60 on the next gen machines.
All of those super twitchy games would benefit from it too

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, one of the fastest NVMe (PCIe 4.0) drives in the market right now is barely making a dent in gaming performance compared to a standard SSD, so I wouldn't say NVMes offer substantial performance boosts to "just about every PC game". I'm sure that console users who have never really played PC games on SSDs would notice a major difference in overall perfomance, however.
This is because PC games can't be developed with an assumption that every single end user will be running them off of a PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD, especially when they aren't even supported by any Intel CPUs at all yet. If a dev was to design a game specifically for this spec and without multiplatform ambitions, they could use data streaming tricks that would only be possible with the aforementioned SSD.

Microsoft, as you may already know, will not be doing this however. Sony, on the other hand, has already been showing off tech demos taking full advantage of these SSDs.

Last edited:

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The one thing I really hope for is that more games start to have settings for performance and graphics settings. This things CPU is powerful enough to run most open world games at 1080/60 right?

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Uh no, not really. Do consoles have mod support? Can I upgrade consoles later in their life cycle? Will consoles have very in depth graphical settings for each game? Do consoles allow me to play at the framerate I want? Do consoles have free MP? The two things they mentioned are hardly what I would consider PC gaming's best features.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
5700xt is already as fast as a 1080ti running at about 1800-1850 mhz. Series x is over 20% faster than a 5700xt before factoring in any possible architectural improvements RDNA 2 might provide. Add in VRS and the rapidly declining performance of pascal in newer titles and ya your GPU isnt faster. Should low level API usage increase next gen i cant even imagine what a disaster its going to be on pascal GPUs

I can't wait for next-gen DF videos.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
This is because PC games can't be developed with an assumption that every single end user will be running them off of a PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD, especially when they aren't even supported by any Intel CPUs at all yet. If a dev was to design a game specifically for this spec and without multiplatform ambitions, they could use data streaming tricks that would only be possible with the aforementioned SSD.

Microsoft, as you may already know, will not be doing this however. Sony, on the other hand, has already been showing off tech demos taking full advantage of these SSDs.

They can, we literally have star citizen which it's a joke to use a mechanical drive to try and play it. You can but the performance will suck. Maybe preface the comment a little different any dev wanting money isn't gonna limit themselve to ssd consumers on the high end.

Even if that is the case a dev can still use development of that on console shift it to a pc port and still put in the means of transfering well for lesser drives. A scaling engine that is done well has plenty of flex so a dev isn't screwed. A company like rockstar will milk this process considering it's what they've done for two gens now. Seeing and experiencing a rockstar pc game next gen will be a fucking treat. Their not locked in to the design you mentioned. We will only see more ports that are incomplete or lacking more full optimization this gen then ones where a company like rockstar or idsoftware gives a fuck that it can scale or run well on a pc with potentially more avialable to it.

Engines aren't as rigid as you're implying. Like any other gen I look forward to anything that will flex my consoles or pc better than medicore crap I see on either end.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They can, we literally have star citizen which it's a joke to use a mechanical drive to try and play it. You can but the performance will suck. Maybe preface the comment a little different any dev wanting money isn't gonna limit themselve to ssd consumers on the high end.

Even if that is the case a dev can still use development of that on console shift it to a pc port and still put in the means of transfering well for lesser drives. A scaling engine that is done well has plenty of flex so a dev isn't screwed. A company like rockstar will milk this process considering it's what they've done for two gens now. Seeing and experiencing a rockstar pc game next gen will be a fucking treat. Their not locked in to the design you mentioned. We will only see more ports that are incomplete or lacking more full optimization this gen then ones where a company like rockstar or idsoftware gives a fuck that it can scale or run well on a pc with potentially more avialable to it.

Engines aren't as rigid as you're implying. Like any other gen I look forward to anything that will flex my consoles or pc better than medicore crap I see on either end.
Here we go with "scaling" again.

How about some integral gameplay feature like the implementation Guerilla Games wanted to do for flight in Horizon: Zero Dawn? They couldn't do it because the data couldn't be streamed from the PS4's HDD quickly enough. Would've worked with a SSD.

Like you said about Star Citizen, they don't give a fuck and they are an anomaly.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
How about some integral gameplay feature like the implementation Guerilla Games wanted to do for flight in Horizon: Zero Dawn? They couldn't do it because the data couldn't be streamed from the PS4's HDD quickly enough. Would've worked with a SSD.
I suppose the only problem with this as an example is that other games have done it, so clearly something else took priority.
Probably the visuals

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Here we go with "scaling" again.

Like you said about Star Citizen, they don't give a fuck and they are an anomaly.

You should know I love your posts but don't get me wrong.

I'm not saying they can't do anythnig I just want to see the implementation vs loading tech demos. You can do that with ramdrives and promise performance.

I'm all for what you mention. Any exclusive dev for xbox or ps5 is gonna be making sick shit.

I'm just against the notion that devs on pc won't be moving to more ssd focused things. That's largely up to those doing the ports and what they feel is good. Early next gen I don't see ports exploiting pc that much but middle of the gen I don't see why devs would regress their engines for consumers when they can reduce their games which is far easier.. In 3 years ssd will be even more common place on pc it's getting there now.

PC dev is way too ecclectic now and is really case by case, so is consoles but it's not treated that way sadly.

I shit you not next gen I can't wait to make 512GB ram computer with a ryzen 4+ gen cpu on it. A customized linux would be fucking insane on it. Ramdrive and ssd with affinity properly done on the cores, not even dream arcade machines can compete with what we get in the next 3 years.

Last edited:

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose the only problem with this as an example is that other games have done it, so clearly something else took priority.
Probably the visuals
well yeah, within their engine, displaying the assets with the high level of fidelity maintained without really bad texture pop-in, etc. it's one of the more detailed open world games out there.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's a bad article, or rather a limited one.
About the accessories: I thought backward compatibility of accessories was a given. How is that a "PC gaming benefit". if you told me "Switch controller, ps4 controller, ps5 controllers all work on Series X", I'd say "great !". Now that'd be one of those benefits.

About getting "most of your tv or monitor". Sorry, Calling BS on that. Yeah, that'll be limited to a key number of games that'll allow you to take advantage of 120hz. But if you have a 144hz monitor ? And what about choosing to prioritize the framerate ? What about the older titles ?

Also, the last one "Buying one game once". Sorry but... wow. That's supposed to also be a given. We're in a era of ecosystems, with hardware being based on the same architectures. If it's not enforced for every games, they shouldn't even mention that. That should be a fucking given.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Nothing new than what we already knew, isn't it?

Maybe just the optimist in me, but the wording here:
In the world of PC gaming, the use of legacy controllers is second nature. When I buy a new gaming PC, I don't throw out my favorite keyboard, mouse, and headset. Microsoft is extending the same courtesy to console players.

Seems to insinuate that maybe you can possibly use a 360 controller as well? I guess the PC similarities and the obvious 360 backwards compatibility has me speculating this way. Possibly with a wireless receiver for windows (or usb version of 360 controller of course) if you happen to have that lying around. The purist in me would like to play a 360 game as natively as possible while having the advantages of a beefier console.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
We've already got a load of 60fps titles this gen , Id expect things like Fortnite, Overwatch and R6:Siege to go above 60 on the next gen machines.
All of those super twitchy games would benefit from it too
Sure thats true, but developers (at least the first year) dont really have an incentive to massively do that. Sure there are a couple of 120hz panels but aside from the LG OLEDs none really have hdmi 2.1, so resolution would be limited to 1440p120 thats what xb1x supports but i dont know if sony is going to make that reso available or that its just 1080p120 for HDMI 2.0 users (and there are allot of them xD).

Any idea how they are going to scale that for people that have 4k60 displays(or dont want to fall back to 1080p for 120fps gameplay) and intent to only upgrade their tv once a decade? Is it as simple as a toggle for developers? or do they have to test and optimize both 60fps and ~120fps separately?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Any idea how they are going to scale that for people that have 4k60 displays(or dont want to fall back to 1080p for 120fps gameplay) and intent to only upgrade their tv once a decade? Is it as simple as a toggle for developers? or do they have to test and optimize both 60fps and ~120fps separately?

Now we've got Dynamic resolution that can be used to manage resolution to keep framerate at at least 60fps.
We've got Variable rate shading appearing in the next gen machines too
Then you've now got the option to have a variable high framerate without the downsides on visuals.

So you've now got multiple factors that can be changed on a frame by frame basis to keep a game running in a desired way, rather than it being fixed at runtime.

It could be as simple as removing that cap put in place to prevent tearing and you have a game that runs at 70-80fps ish.

For those games that have previously offered performance modes, it just means 60fps isn't the ceiling anymore.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Now we've got Dynamic resolution that can be used to manage resolution to keep framerate at at least 60fps.
We've got Variable rate shading appearing in the next gen machines too
Then you've now got the option to have a variable high framerate without the downsides on visuals.

So you've now got multiple factors that can be changed on a frame by frame basis to keep a game running in a desired way, rather than it being fixed at runtime.

It could be as simple as removing that cap put in place to prevent tearing and you have a game that runs at 70-80fps ish.

For those games that have previously offered performance modes, it just means 60fps isn't the ceiling anymore.
Ah okay so lets say someone bought a 4ktv a couple of years ago, it has HDR but its a 60hz panel it will basically cap the framerate at 60 while if the ps5 or xbsX sees that its a 120hz panel (and you set it that way) u will basically uncap the framerate for people who want that and a game can go potentially to 70-90fps, right?.

bc i dont really see the mass majority upgrading their tv just for 120fps, especially since the tv's that have HDMI 2.1(even the 2020 models) can be counted on one hand.

Its a complete nightmare for people with AV receivers, nc none of them have hdmi 2.1. There are rumors that will change this year, but we see how nitpicky tv manufacturers are with hdmi 2.1 on tv's

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Ah okay so lets say someone bought a 4ktv a couple of years ago, it has HDR but its a 60hz panel it will basically cap the framerate at 60 while if the ps5 or xbsX sees that its a 120hz panel (and you set it that way) u will basically uncap the framerate for people who want that and a game can go potentially to 70-90fps, right?.

bc i dont really see the mass majority upgrading their tv just for 120fps, especially since the tv's that have HDMI 2.1(even the 2020 models) can be counted on one hand.

Its a complete nightmare for people with AV receivers, nc none of them have hdmi 2.1. There are rumors that will change this year, but we see how nitpicky tv manufacturers are with hdmi 2.1 on tv's

XSX should have a mechanism that works like windows and is automatic. If not MS should have some option like an xbox already does in the system menu to set resolution and hopefully modes of refreshrates the monitor allows.

Only people with those panels would notice a change to begin with.

I know a bsd/unix variant can do similar things but not the how and it's not as straight forward as windows.

With VRR the image of 70-90fps title will be much better than on 60hz panel or 120hz panel without it.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Where's my, "can choose the FPS and resolution that best fits my monitor/tv" option? Until then, I won't go near your (probably) $600 box.