• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GarrettInk

Feb 6, 2019
They forgot "because in a couple of years new tech will release that will make the current setups obsolete"
I think I'll wait, thank you.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I caved and bought a Rift in January, plus an extra sensor. Setting it up is fiddly but the actual experience is better than I expected it to be once I figured out how to get my glasses to fit comfortably in it.

Helps that Steam has some great bundles like the VR Essentials pack to give you a shitload of fantastic content right away.

My only gripe with VR so far is that every locomotion method feels awkward in its own way.

I don't agree. While Rift has the worst sensor setup of the bunch by far, it still offers the best experience with the touch controllers and a very comfortable headset (especially with something like VR Cover). The Rift headset is very light: 470 grams (and that's including headphones). Compare that to the Samsung Odyssey at 645g. That extra weight makes a big difference. If you can manage the potentially massive headache of getting 3-4 sensors up for roomscale, then I think the Rift is the best VR headset out there currently.

The Oculus Touch controllers are so damn good - they feel incredible in the hands.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Which HMD did you try and why did it suck? What problems did you experience?
That I had goggles, joy sticks, and not a cool ass Sword Art Online experience. What I got was a bunch of men in anime avatars roleplaying together while some people screamed obscenities in the background.

Ionno why you act like I haven't used VR. Do you think current VR will win everyone over or that people are just doing it wrong?

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I don't agree. While Rift has the worst sensor setup of the bunch by far, it still offers the best experience with the touch controllers and a very comfortable headset (especially with something like VR Cover). The Rift headset is very light: 470 grams (and that's including headphones). Compare that to the Samsung Odyssey at 645g. That extra weight makes a big difference. If you can manage the potentially massive headache of getting 3-4 sensors up for roomscale, then I think the Rift is the best VR headset out there currently.

The Vive is the best overall product but needing external headphones is a pain and the wands are heavy and uncomfortable, especially for something like Beat Saber. Really looking forward to the knuckles though...that might give Valve my top spot. Still, the Vive is an easy recommendation due to how well Lighthouse works. 2 sensors, no USB needed and you're done. Compare that to the Rift where you have to deal with active USB extensions, balancing USB host controller bandwidth, and a poor setup experience (Oculus sensor setup software suuucks), and the Vive is just a much easier recommendation.

Personally, I can't even use Windows MR headsets due to the clamp design. My head is somewhat oddly shaped in the back and the headset just slides down the back of my head during active play regardless of the clamping force I put on it. And at a high clamping force its really uncomfortable. If you're looking to get serious in VR shooters such as Onwards with gun stocks and whatnot, you're also going to run into issues finding compatible mounts since Vive and Rift are by far the most supported platforms. The biggest issue though is they really haven't nailed down controller tracking and occlusion issues are not infrequent. Any occlusion issue is a no-go for me. I don't want a controller to fail tracking while I'm trying to full combo a song in Beat Saber.

I've heard that the Pimax has noticeable latency. Have they fixed this? I'd just be wary of backing a one off Kickstarter from China. I really don't expect any support for it going forward.

If you're just looking to dabble, then WMR is fine. If you want to get into more serious Roomscale experiences, then I'd seriously consider looking at the Vive. If you want a more comfortable experience and don't have the space for 360 degree roomscale, then get Oculus.

Pretty sure the odyssey plus weighs less than the okder model, and its optics, fov, screen and resolution blows the oculus out of the water. Its the much more immersive experience. I own both and have owned or borrowed the previous Samsung odyssey, the vive, and the psvr.

The odysseys weight never bothered me or my 5 yo son. And while i personally prefer the rift touch controls, the odysseys co trollers were rasier for my sons tiny hands to control.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That I had goggles, joy sticks, and not a cool ass Sword Art Online experience. What I got was a bunch of men in anime avatars roleplaying together while some people screamed obscenities in the background.

Ionno why you act like I haven't used VR. Do you think current VR will win everyone over or that people are just doing it wrong?

Im asking simple questions, which HMD did you use? Don't you even know what the name of the HMD is? You probably played VRChat or something, that's what it sounds like.

You are simply bad at describing what you used, that's why Im doubting you.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the odysse plus weighs less, and its optics fov screen and resolution vlows the oculus out of the water. Its rhe much more immersive experience. I own both and have owned or bowworwed the previois Samsung odyssey, the vive, and the psvr.

The odysseys weight never bothered me or my 5 yo son.

It might be a personal thing then. The weight issue just seems to exacerbate the headset sliding down my head. None of the WMR headsets can stay on my head due to the shape of my skull. I need that top strap

Exto

Jan 2, 2019
It's the worst time to get VR. Wait for PS5 and new VR tech that comes around then.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
How far off are body suits as a complement to VR?

Imagine a blend of ray-tracing, 4k+ res, VR and full body suit-controls...damn...I just hope I'll have enough money and be alive to witness it. The future truly is exciting.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got an Acer WMR headset for free with my laptop and a PSVR. Both are pretty okay, though they have severe drawbacks. The Acer headset surprisingly works as a poor man's Vive, provided you're not playing games that require movement outside of the camera tracking. Astro Bot is a really charming little platformer, and Bound is amazing in VR, but I'm not all THAT impressed with it, and it doesn't help that the Move controllers don't have analogue sticks.

I'm personally waiting on Valve's own new headset that's supposedly divorced from the Vive brand and using the Knuckles. The Knuckles by themselves are just the controllers that actually satisfy my standards for what a VR controller should at least have (okay, not quite, maybe a few more buttons on each controller, but I guess two face buttons and a trigger is okay for now), nevermind making the Oculus Touch obsolete. Whatever Valve has cooked up, it's going to be a generational leap compared to what we have now, I think.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Im asking simple questions, which HMD did you use? Don't you even know what the name of the HMD is? You probably played VRChat or something, that's what it sounds like.

You are simply bad at describing what you used, that's why Im doubting you.
I am not going to explain my setup. You either believe I have used VR or you don't. That is your choice.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
One of the greatest things of experiencing VR at the 'begining' so far to me is exactly to see how devs are learning to use VR better.
The jump from Playroom VR to Astrobot is amazing!
Imagine what other teams will achieve soon!
When you compare some of the first wave of VR games to what we have now is crazy that in a so short time games evolved so much in scope, visuals and mechanics.
If you haven't played yet I recommend you Moss!
I have played Moss. Not much of it, but it is cool as well :) I want to try Echos but unfortunately its not on PSVR

OP
OP

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not going to explain my setup. You either believe I have used VR or you don't. That is your choice.

If you can't even say if you used a Rift, VIVE, PSVR or any of the Windows Mixed Reality headsets, then no, I don't believe you. So you just came into this thread to troll about how much VR sucks right now without even explaining what you used.

I have no problem with people saying that VR sucks or is bad right now. I have problem when people don't even wanna describe what they used and why it sucked/was bad.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
If you can't even say if you used a Rift, VIVE, PSVR or any of the Windows Mixed Reality headsets, then no I don't believe you. So you just came into this thread to torll about how much VR sucks right now without even explaining what you used.
Why do I need to explain what I used when my first post is wanting future technology and using that as a base for why I don't like VR now?

You came at me with a conclusion instead of reading what I posted. Either you are super defensive about VR place in the gaming world or you really hate me.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
VR is obviously better than before but I feel like we're right at the cusp on the new wave of hardware so maybe waiting is the better option.

PSVR you could buy now since it can get really cheap and who knows if the new PSVR will even come at launch of the PS5.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do I need to explain what I used when my first post is wanting future technology and using that as a base for why I don't like VR now?

It would help me to understand why you don't like VR.

You came at me with a conclusion instead of reading what I posted. Either you are super defensive about VR place in the gaming world or you really hate me.

I don't hate you as I don't see any reason to hate you. I read your post. That's the reason why I want you to explain what you used.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

It's reasonable enough? If someone tried E.T. for the Atari back in the day and used it as an argument to dismiss the entire video game medium that would be seriously misguided. If you've played a few of the better VR games and didn't take to the experience then I doubt anyone would have any issues with that.

Indeed, but current VR tech is not good enough to be mainstream.

Sure it is. I've let six year olds play Astro Bot and they've both understood the basic principle and loved the experience. That is enough for me to believe that the mainstream is ready for it.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It would help me to understand why you don't like VR.
I was already pretty fucking clear. I want some wireless head shit with gloves to simulate hands and a better way to move within the virtual space. I want Sword Art Online, not hobble around a room with sensors.

If you don't get that then that is 100% on you. Like, it was in my fucking posts.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was already pretty fucking clear. I want some wireless head shit with gloves to simulate hands and a better way to move within the virtual space. I want Sword Art Online, not hobble around a room with sensors.

If you don't get that then that is 100% on you. Like, it was in my fucking posts.

Well then good, the Oculus Quest is wireless and coming this year. So first step in your requirements will be completed in some months.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree and disagree. I had made the decision last year to wait until next console generation before dipping into VR. But there was an awesome QVC deal on PS VR Borderlands and Beat Saber bundle I could not pass up. So I took the PS VR plunge. I have played a little bit with the PS VR and enjoy what I had played so far.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
What's funny is even in the video the guy describes those people who hate VR without trying it, And instantly you get posters in this thread living up to that lol.

How mesmerising was Skyrim though in VR, Like honestly that was some immersive shit for the 80+ hours i put in it, I can only dream ES6 will have it in mind going forward with the decent VR sets that will be available then.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Astrobot and RE7 VR are some next level shit.

I could say that for Wipeout, Mage's tales, Super hot, Beat Saber, Far point, etc etc etc etc

i love my Ps VR so much since i bought it at boxing day... Astrobot gave me the same experience the first time I've tried mario 64, i'm not even kidding. There a like 3 games just this week on PSVR that look super good !

Evergarden

Oct 25, 2017
I have Oculus Rift with 3 sensors to make proper 360 possible. It was really great in the first times but I rarely use it nowadays. Some times my friends come and try, their first impression is usually amazing but there is really not much to play. I really hope Oculus Quest make VR more mainstream and help it to bloom.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
We are very close

Oculus Quest might be my jumping in point unless a more competitive stand alone is introduced

Wireless and freedom of movement will be a gamechanger

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018

So...
1. Your expectations were impossible to fulfill, as if going into a game like God of War expecting it to be flawless in every way, no bugs and running at, 240 FPS at 8K.

2. You had a bad experience of what sounds like VRChat that doesn't represent what it's like at all, and haven't cited anything else.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
How far off are body suits as a complement to VR?

Imagine a blend of ray-tracing, 4k+ res, VR and full body suit-controls...damn...I just hope I'll have enough money and be alive to witness it. The future truly is exciting.
The Teslasuit is expecting to release in the next couple of years, and it's basically the body suit from Ready Player One minus a kickback force powerful enough to send you flying backwards. It's still enough to force you back a bit and add recoil to your wrists.

There are several 4000 x 4000 resolution per eye panels revealed now, so it will only be 2-3 years before those get integrated into VR. Raytracing will need a few years to really get going, but I'd expect to see rasterization starting to become ditched by 2025, with VR games starting to go full raytracing.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Wireless is the big one for me

Even if it requires external sensors for a room scale hybrid setup

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Oculus Quest could tip the needle

But 400 dollars is still a bit steep for mainstream but a very nice low barrier to play low/mid tier VR with full wireless, inside out tracking, and 6DOF controllers

Should be awesome and I hope more stand alone options are developed

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
PS5 will be the best time to get into VR. We're between the first gen Vive/Oculus/PSVR and the second gen right now, no reason to buy until the new stuff comes out.

GarrettInk

Feb 6, 2019
Why is it not good enough?

Imo, my biggest requirement for next gen VR are wireless headsets and the no need for base stations/sensors for tracking.
The wire is an issue only with room tracking, and only in games where you turn around a lot (for example escape room games).
The real problem in my opinion is the low resolution, tied with the high computational power needed to drive both screens at high framerate.
I used a VIVE and I could count pixels, I can only imagine how bad the PSVR can be.
It's still a great tech, and I had plenty of fun with Superhot VR, but I think it's still not ready to explode.

That's the metric to decide if you should invest? Is it mainstream? Not is it good, or is it affordable, but if it's popular?

To each their own, but I sure as hell dont' agree.
That's a weird logical leap you did there.
The current tech is not worthy of being invested in right now. Too many compromises, too many issues.
Therefore, VR is not mainstream.

These are two different things.
The first is true the second is not. There are many good or amazing games for hardcore gamers right now.
Games that are not going away next year, and that you will be able to enjoy better with new hardware.
Also, the "too many" games bit is debatable. VR is still missing killer applicatons.