• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Im glad that at least creatively she hasnt had anything to do with the game.
We dont know if she just get royalties or just a big fat check though. But i was thinking the other day, while i defend anyone that doesbt want to buy the game because of possible royalties to rowling, even if its a game they really want, they also have to take into consideration things like entering Universal theme parks. Doesnt matter if you d9nt ever enter the harry potter area, if she is getting royalties from everything she is also getting a percentage of tickets to enter the park and shits like that (though i really jope both project were a really fat check and nothibg more in the future and thats it).

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
User Banned (3 Months): Dismissive Trolling over Concerns of Transphobia
Cool, so don't rush to use them as a scapegoat for why you're engaging with the IP of an actively harmful bigot. If you care about developers as much as you claim stop using them as a buffer between you and your own actions.
The devs is one part of my argument if you read it correctly, especially my other comment above.
But it's fine, I hope that everyone in this thread being so quick to give people lessons are involved regularly on trans issues than just for this game 😉

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The devs is one part of my argument if you read it correctly, especially my other comment above.
But it's fine, I hope that everyone in this thread being so quick to give people lessons are involved regularly on trans issues than just for this game 😉
I'm pretty regularly involved in trans issues outside of this game, yeh. Was that supposed to be a gotcha or something?

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Another example to help people visualize this: is like buying a gram of coke from your local dealer and saying "well I gave my $60 to Peter, so I'm not helping finance the cartels back in the cocaine producing country". Of course you are, those $60 are not for Peter, a % of it will go back up the chain and will reach those cartels, and everyone in between, with the big crime lords earning the bigger cut.
this is an awful analogy

dealers by drugs specifically to deal them, it's not analogous to the used game market at all

this argument also completely ignores that physical copies are already bought by retailers, and buying them used mitigates outlets restocking new copies which is why publishers hate them so much

your argument is just wrong. if you disagree with people choosing ways to morally consume this game, that's fine, but don't try to wrap it up in some terrible back of a napkin equation that is fundamentally flawed

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Oh you poor victim. Fuck off with this
Buying a game used rather than straight away is like the easiest form of activism ever and you can't even do that, so its rich that you are making comments insinuating that people are just being "keyboard warriors"

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I hope that everyone in this thread being so quick to give people lessons are involved regularly on trans issues than just for this game 😉
jesus fucking christ what is up with this condescending ass response, especially when its directed at a poster who is really active in threads about trans issues on this forum, which you'd know if you ever participated in one beyond defending your plans to purchase this game.

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
jesus fucking christ what is up with this condescending ass response, especially when its directed at a poster who is really active in threads about trans issues on this forum, which you'd know if you ever participated in one beyond defending your plans to purchase this game.
I don't understand your aggressiveness, I didn't know beforehand and I've never claimed otherwise at all

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand your aggressiveness, I didn't know beforehand and I've never claimed otherwise at all

I mean 90% of the People fighting for Trans Rights in this Thread you will find in any other Trans related Thread as well. And it is a realy hard fight in this Forum, where People are enduring a lot of Pain in the hopes to make this a better place. I hope it is not that surprising that People get a little bit aggressive if you make a bad handed Comment that they only care about it this time and only for this Game.

Especialy if you made it in a Response to one of the most prominent members which you would know if you have had ever anything to do with Trans Topics here

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
You really don't see how what you said is condescending?
What I said is unfortunately an issue in our society today. I just don't like demagogy and it was my point. Obviously my comment was not directed specifically to someone who happens to be actively involved on this matter and I support and respect that. At the end of the day, we have different views on how to deal with this issue and it's okay.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Not involved? Good. But fuck J.K. Rowling!

And fuck you, WB, for that weak ass statement! Like you even care and this is not some stupid fucking lip service just to ease some people's concern and therefore maximizing your fucking profit.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Proud of everyone making WB feel the pressure
What pressure? The trailer for the game was the most watched trailer of the PlayStation conference and was the top trending game on social media as well.

There is not NEARLY enough people out there that are doing enough about JK Rowling and her bigoted bullshit to make anyone feel any kind of pressure on this.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Of course they say that, what else would they say? "Yes she is" and basically kill the game?

Statements like this are always weird and pointless cause on one hand one answer would be horrible and kill the project and let's a shit storm raining down on it, so it has to be the other one no matter if it's true or not and therefore you can't trust it.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you make an analysis of the economics involved in the purchase and subsequent second hand buys and sells of the games that is exactly how it works.

But not only on the second hand market, in any market.

In any case, it's elegantly reflective of the bigger point here: it's not so much about how much money Rowling makes of a single game, which doesn't really matter, but about her legacy and helping to spread her work.

If people is really bothered about what she stands for and how she reflected those views in her work it shouldn't matter to them how much money she's making per game, but helping spread her views and her world by playing her games and furthering her legacy. That's the important part imo, the legacy, not the money.
I don't disagree with you, but at the same time we have literal physical monuments to the franchise (the theme parks, the studio tours, the 9 3/4 platform, et al) and it is one of the highest-selling books of all time. I don't think a console game makes that much difference in the grand scheme of things.

Once again, I think not purchasing the game is an extremely valid decision. It just irks me a little bit that people are painting the act of playing it as an immoral crime. JK has been a hateful witch, there are no questions about it, but people have complicated relationships with art, you know? What do you do if the writer of something so important to you during your formative years turns out to be a bigoted asshole? I really don't think there's a right answer to this question.

(And it's not even that I love HP that much. I don't know if I'll get the game. But I have close friends that love it and it's not easy to just erase part of yourself)
Thank you both. Saying it far better than i could.

To the people saying that we are not making a dent because we are only one. How about i just stay true to my believes? Even if my actions conclude to nothing, i will still stand by what i think is right and be compassionate to others. I'm not trans and i am not immediately involved with trans people but if i can better the world by not buying and giving a hateful person another boost in popularity to spread their hate, i will gladly do that. Trans people are getting hurt by her words that they are considering suicide.... A better world starts with ourselves and having conversations about why things are hurtful and making lives of the people involved worse. Than i believe i should do that even if it's only a little puddle in the ocean. The game looks great but i rather give up gaming than to support even a little bit of that evil person.

Please don't see this as me judging other people for buying the game. I just don't like the mental gymnastic surrounding it.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
I can happily show you posts on Facebook that I've made highlighting JK's transphobia to people and the donations I've made to trans charities.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Team Bond is that u?

Developers are not waiting multiple years to get paid. At best you'd be talking about bonuses, but come on the person you are responding to put it pretty clearly.

They obviously get paid but job security is based on that pay going to something that's profitable.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Like with a lot of devs studio, including Ubisoft, it will be used game for me and won't talked about them and no MP.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Like with a lot of devs studio, including Ubisoft, it will be used game for me and won't talked about them and no MP.
Honestly, a friend of mine said she'd buy the game for her kids anyway and lend it to me after. But even that feels too dirty to actually consider it 🤮

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited:

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, Warner Bros, that's a lot of bs so shove it.

Unfortunately, even if she didn't get a single penny, it still benefits her. Unless it deservedly flops and companies stop working with the brand, I don't see any way playing this game wouldn't help her in the end.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I think the case is pretty clear, she's gonna get money out of it either way you put it. She's getting money out of literally every Potter thing.

I will, most likely, if it's actually good, buy it either used or from a suspiciously cheap reseller site, while at the same time donate the money I would have paid to trans causes, I think. At least that's my current plan, maybe I'll leave out the "buy game" part altogether.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I was about to say, if you all really care about supporting the devs, buy a different game of theirs. Then I found out they only make harry potter games.

I retract any statements about feeling bad for these devs anymore, there's no way at all they didn't know.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I was about to say, if you all really care about supporting the devs, buy a different game of theirs. Then I found out they only make harry potter games.

I retract any statements about feeling bad for these devs anymore, there's no way at all they didn't know.
Portkey? They're not technically "the devs", I think, that's just a label from WB Games for HP games they put out. The actual devs are most likely working on a number of other WB games as well. Basically, if you're staffed to work on a HP game published by WB, regardless of your actual company, if you use the license it will be listed under the Portkey Games umbrella.

At least that's how I understand it.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Of course she gets royalties. It's her property. Even if the game was great I still wouldn't purchase it used due to the fact it's still engaging in a property she created. The more people playing, the greater engagement also comes from it whichever way youve bought it or even just borrowed it. I wouldn't want to be part of indulging any form of product that this cretin has created.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I grew up with Harry Potter and i adore the universe BUT fuck JK Rowlings and her shitty views.

If i am ever going to buy the game it's going to be used or from a third party reseller, i feel sorry for the devs, but i'm not doing this.

sweetie

Alt account
Banned
May 19, 2020
The fact that they even have to clarify this is so sad.

But yeah, until they can confirm that she isn't getting a cent made from this game, never touching this game.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

PORTKEY GAME is a label related to all Harry Potter games and they act like a publisher, kinda like the whole "EA Sports" games label for FIFA/NHL/MADDEN etc....

The actual developers are Avalanche Software, they were owned by Disney and they wanted to close the company but Warner Bros bought them and made them work on Hogwarts Legacy.

Avalanche Software latest game was CARS 3 tie-in and they were used to make licensed Disney games when they were under Disney Interactive.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
JK Rowling is a garbage person.

That said, I am still excited about the game. Was thinking that I could make a donation to a trans rights organization to offset her profits from the game.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
Man, maybe if WB just said, "hey we have to pay her royalties for every copy, but we will match that with a donation to ** charities etc.' they will be able to get a lot of goodwill and increase the sales while also alleviating any guilt fans might have for supporting the game.

Domino

Oct 25, 2017
Man, maybe if WB just said, "hey we have to pay her royalties for every copy, but we will match that with a donation to ** charities etc.' they will be able to get a lot of goodwill and increase the sales while also alleviating any guilt fans might have for supporting the game.

For own conscience my plan is to donate $70 to trans charities when I buy it (That should be much more then the cut that monster gets from royalties). It would be nice for WB to do even a very small amount of each sale, but I'm sure what control they have of the IP and bet they are scared of upsetting Rowling.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Game looks great, don't think they need her input at this point. I'm sure she could help on certain things, but really, like the Witcher, the world is already pretty fully realized in enough media that they should be able to create an amazing game without having her input.

I mean the funny thing here about her "fully realized world" is that it's really... not? Like the basic setting of Hogwarts is pretty firmly there, and I think people (me included) obviously have a connection to that, but a lot about the wider setting/world itself isn't.

So much of the setting is made up of things that actually don't make any sense if you think about them for a few seconds, and then some other things that work about as well because they are literally offhand jokes. She never really tried to reconcile that at all. The Fantastic Beasts movies are a burning pile of trash for many different reasons, but one of the lesser ones is that a lot of what's shown about magic and the world doesn't even line up with what's shown in the original books/movies either. (Or, like, reality... really supposed to believe the Magic President of the USA in the 1920s is a black woman who is completely fine discriminating against Muggles for ??? reasons without any comment on that either way, etc. etc.)

So I'd expect they'd honestly be doing most of the work to develop the world that's not, like, the very basics about the school and spells, and some creature designs. And it's probably better for it, I guess.

It's a sad state of affairs when Warner Bros has to assure fans as a positive that JK Rowling doesn't have much involvement in the game.
That's not really the point though, she'll still make a considerable amount of money from this.
Not involved? Good. But fuck J.K. Rowling!

And fuck you, WB, for that weak ass statement! Like you even care and this is not some stupid fucking lip service just to ease some people's concern and therefore maximizing your fucking profit.
Of course they say that, what else would they say? "Yes she is" and basically kill the game?

Statements like this are always weird and pointless cause on one hand one answer would be horrible and kill the project and let's a shit storm raining down on it, so it has to be the other one no matter if it's true or not and therefore you can't trust it.
Yeah, Warner Bros, that's a lot of bs so shove it.

Unfortunately, even if she didn't get a single penny, it still benefits her. Unless it deservedly flops and companies stop working with the brand, I don't see any way playing this game wouldn't help her in the end.

I'm sorry to quote people to say this yet again, especially as I reported the OP (it's not stormfire's fault) already and am hoping it gets edited by a mod. This article is really naively promoting a misunderstanding and I think the OP not addressing that is just passing that misunderstanding onto people reading the thread.

There is seriously nothing to suggest Warner Brothers intended this to be seen as distancing the game from her. There just isn't; it's not a weak statement, it's literally not meant to be one. It's praising her in the same breath as saying she's not involved, which would be weird if it was meant to be a statement about her, wouldn't it? And then if you actually read the questions and answers in their FAQ, it becomes very clear what this actually is.

It is them trying to assure fans that this is canon. It's not that they're distancing themselves from her, it's that they want to come across as closer to her. Either because she didn't want to do it, or because they looked at how Fantastic Beasts was going and went "oh fuck no", she didn't write anything for the game, and they know fans would theoretically want the original author writing it or at least coming up with the original story. So this is "no, she didn't write anything, but we promise it's just like she did!!", and not "we kept the transphobe away!" at all.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
I mean the funny thing here about her "fully realized world" is that it's really... not? Like the basic setting of Hogwarts is pretty firmly there, and I think people (me included) obviously have a connection to that, but a lot about the wider setting/world itself isn't.

So much of the setting is made up of things that actually don't make any sense if you think about them for a few seconds, and then some other things that work about as well because they are literally offhand jokes. She never really tried to reconcile that at all. The Fantastic Beasts movies are a burning pile of trash for many different reasons, but one of the lesser ones is that a lot of what's shown about magic and the world doesn't even line up with what's shown in the original books/movies either. (Or, like, reality... really supposed to believe the Magic President of the USA in the 1920s is a black woman who is completely fine discriminating against Muggles for ??? reasons without any comment on that either way, etc. etc.)

So I'd expect they'd honestly be doing most of the work to develop the world that's not, like, the very basics about the school and spells, and some creature designs. And it's probably better for it, I guess.

I'm sorry to quote people to say this yet again, especially as I reported the OP (it's not stormfire's fault) already and am hoping it gets edited by a mod. This article is really naively promoting a misunderstanding and I think the OP not addressing that is just passing that misunderstanding onto people reading the thread.

There is seriously nothing to suggest Warner Brothers intended this to be seen as distancing the game from her. There just isn't; it's not a weak statement, it's literally not meant to be one. It's praising her in the same breath as saying she's not involved, which would be weird if it was meant to be a statement about her, wouldn't it? And then if you actually read the questions and answers in their FAQ, it becomes very clear what this actually is.

It is them trying to assure fans that this is canon. It's not that they're distancing themselves from her, it's that they want to come across as closer to her. Either because she didn't want to do it, or because they looked at how Fantastic Beasts was going and went "oh fuck no", she didn't write anything for the game, and they know fans would theoretically want the original author writing it or at least coming up with the original story. So this is "no, she didn't write anything, but we promise it's just like she did!!", and not "we kept the transphobe away!" at all.
Oh, I see. Didn't read the FAQ, I must admit. Thank you for pointing it out.

So they're just pretending there's nothing wrong with the controversy surrounding the author, which is worse.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
All this "but the devs talk" implies we will get lots of trans npcs and a pronouns choice in the character creator, when YOU KNOW it will be the most straight cis game that does not feature an AK 47

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Not directly involved" means nothing. She will get royalties and the developers paid to to use the IP.
So yes, she gets paid.

Fuck JK Rowling

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Problem: "I'm interested in a product, but I don't want my money going to a specific creator who gets royalties from it. How can I purchase said product while still not giving a single cent to the creator of said property?"

Solution:

rawImage.jpg

Did you by chance miss the whole thing of last gen where player retention became an equal, if not even a more important metric to a game's success than sales? Playing it, whether obtained new or used, contributes to the game's success.

Just don't get the game. Period. You'll get by and won't support TERFs.

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017
Problem: "I'm interested in a product, but I don't want my money going to a specific creator who gets royalties from it. How can I purchase said product while still not giving a single cent to the creator of said property?"

Solution:

rawImage.jpg
I'm not touching this game or any other product that can be traced back to Rowling. That said, I do find it amusing that the best image available to illustrate used games is a shot of this guy.

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
When you buy a game used for let's say $30, you're effectively paying for $30 of the cost of the game.

So if the game was priced $60 new, the first buyer paid $30 of the cost and you the other $30.

I don't really get the point of splitting hairs over this. The economic theory discussion is fun I guess, but in reality buying a game used means the publisher gets zero additional money from your second-hand purchase. It doesn't matter which lens you want to use to examine the scenario, that fact remains. If Buyer 1 pays 100% of royalties and Buyer 2 pays 0%... adds to 100. Or if Buyer 1 pays 50% of royalties and Buyer 2 pays 50%... again, adds to 100. It adds up to the same amount of paid royalties either way. As soon as the game is bought new, the royalties have been paid. If you buy the game used, no matter what scenario you prefer looking at it through, you're not adding any more royalties when you purchase used. That's what's important to people who choose to buy used in a case like this.

Even looking at it through the cost-sharing lens, it's all about perspective. Say it's bought for $60 new and sold for $30 used. You can spin this to feel bad as in, "oh no, I am paying 50% of the royalties by sharing the cost of this." Or you can spin it the other way around as in, "hell yes, I am reducing the royalties someone else paid by 50% when I share the cost of this."

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
They can still fuck off. Unless they actually try to make the game as inclusive as possible, and piss JK off, I'm not even looking at this mess.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
It's a weird one, at this point she's probably astonishingly rich, right? The couple quid she'll make from someone purchasing this game is a drop in the ocean.

Either way, fuck her.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
All this "but the devs talk" implies we will get lots of trans npcs and a pronouns choice in the character creator, when YOU KNOW it will be the most straight cis game that does not feature an AK 47
You are absolutely right and when pressed they will use the time period as an excuse