• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Ubisoft is overhauling the central editorial team that advises on all of its productions, following lackluster sales of two Tom Clancy games that CEO Yves Guillemot blamed on a lack of differentiation in consumers' minds.

Video Games Chronicle reports that Ubisoft chief creative officer Serge Hascoet will remain in charge of Ubisoft's editorial group, but that he will be given more subordinates and they will be given more autonomy, so that he is able lead from a broader perspective rather than directing individual projects himself.

This change is meant to give Ubisoft's individual franchises, from For Honor to Assassin's Creed, more distinct identities. An unnamed source told VGC that the previous structure often meant that the tastes and opinions of one or two important people in the editorial team made it into Ubisoft's games, making many of them feel the same.

www.polygon.com

With all its games looking the same, Ubisoft shakes up its editorial team

Ghost Recon Breakpoint’s launch, similarity to The Division 2, triggered the change

MOD EDIT: original source:
www.videogameschronicle.com

Exclusive: Ubisoft revamps editorial team to make its games more unique | VGC

Key creative group expands following 2019 delays; Splinter Cell creative rejoins from Epic…

Last edited by a moderator:

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Division 2 was the 9th best selling game of 2019 and they aren't happy with it...

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
I can only applaud this decision. Although I'm unsure if we will see the effects on the games coming out this year.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
They need a change. I feel like it's so much talent that goes to waste.

Ghost Recon Breakpoint landed with a thud in October, both critically and commercially. In a call with investors later that month, Guillemot said Breakpoint had "been strongly rejected by a significant portion of the community" and that it "did not come in with enough differentiation factors, which prevented the game's intrinsic qualities from standing out."

Really....that applies to most of their games.

And the games need more soul. They make pretty good ones that can be fun but it's always missing some charm and originality to match the quality.
Like an overall tone that is not ... bleh.

More unique, original and fun, less bleh, or cringe.

Not fully on-topic but remember in Far Cry 4 (great game IMO, but I had skipped 3 at that point, and skipped the ones after that were rapid-fire releases) - everytime you went to save in those little huts, there'd be an NPC in there screaming bloody mary, saying "They're raping her!" over and over. Like fucking hell, I'm just trying to have some fun here.

And the Watch-Dogs story...like jeez. You're making a GTA type game....it doesn't need that sobstory drama. Or so many hipsters...

And with the gameplay, it's always the same story. A few different types of things to do, repeated to death. Maybe they'd benefit from trying to make some more linear games for a little while. Like, take a page from Rockstar, give us time to actually miss the games and spend that time making the game stellar instead of "another one of those".

Last edited:

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thats very good to hear, their IP's have been blending together more and more over the years.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Why is the title [Polygon] when they state that this in fact doesn't come from them? Credit the real source.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I have a soft spot for Ubisoft. Sure, they sometimes get it terribly wrong, but when they get it right, their games have a lot of heart and I usually have a lot of fun with them. I can't say the same for Bethesda and EA in recent years, that's for sure.

Hope this sparks a bunch of really crazy and innovative games.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who used to love the Far Cry games, they def suffered from being the same damn game year after year. I hope they can really mix it up for the next one

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Ubisoft has a lot of talent. The creativity is hampered by what seems to be a reflex to turn all their games into GAAS or, at least to me, games with extreme monetization (DLCs, passes, cosmetics, etc.) I'd like mor games like Child of Light and less Tom Clancy.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Watch Dogs Legion seemed pretty unique to me, so I hope any change is for the better. It's trying a lot of tech that I anticipated much later in the generation.

Each of their games has something different but last couple of entries had literally same core elements. Far Cry 5, Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey, Ghost Recon Wildlands and Breakpoint, Watch_Dogs 2 all have clearing outposts as core gameplay element. And it looks like that AC Vikings and Watch_Dogs Legion are following the same pattern from what we know about them.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wait, you mean to tell me that it wasn't a good idea to release two third person looter shooters that were inferior to their predecessors under the same Tom Clancy brand in the same year? Moreover, three looter shooters in the same year?!
tumblr_np0ib8rswQ1rbe3e3o2_r2_500.gifv

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Good i bloody hope so, I feel like GR Wildlands has finally gave them the kick up the arse they've long been overdue for producing the same damn open world template over and over again

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Ubisoft has a lot of talent. The creativity is hampered by what seems to be a reflex to turn all their games into GAAS or, at least to me, games with extreme monetization (DLCs, passes, cosmetics, etc.) I'd like mor games like Child of Light and less Tom Clancy.

Let me tell you about the many delights of Anno 1800.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
good, they definitely need this every ubisoft game in the last decade feels extremely designed-by-committee with nothing that might offend anyone. Take some chances, let creators make mistakes and learn from them instead of filing everything down to appeal to everyone.

There teams are also way too massive, whenever you get to the credits of a ubisoft end now its literally 20-30 minutes of names.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ditch GaaS, there's only a few that people can stomach an array of them, most cannot, it's not like traditional games where you can rotate them out, because GaaS games are always living it demands all your time or you get left behind. People don't want that, and if they do it's reserved to a few special IPs.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ok with this. Ubi is easily one of my favorite pubs. They have my game of the generation in For Honor. Can't wait to see how they handle next gen.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Ubisoft has been great. The only real failure was Breakpoint. The Division 2 was pretty good.

ZanderEzekial

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberspace
This seems like a good thing. Ubisoft has a strong lineup of games, but the last year or two has seen them coasting on past successes. Far Cry: New Dawn and Ghost Recon: Breakpoint are embarrassing releases for such a big publisher, and I hope they get some really creative people in leadership roles to drive their new titles into new places.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The news in the article it's that one "Montreal game" was just cancelled very far into production. Maybe Splinter Cell? AC Rome? Prince of Persia? Skull and Bones?

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
good, they definitely need this every ubisoft game in the last decade feels extremely designed-by-committee with nothing that might offend anyone. Take some chances, let creators make mistakes and learn from them instead of filing everything down to appeal to everyone.

There teams are also way too massive, whenever you get to the credits of a ubisoft end now its literally 20-30 minutes of names.

That's what it is, there's no uniqueness. It's what makes the games seem alright but rarely special. Someone asking on the spot "so...we need ideas..."

I thought AC unity was pretty special. It felt like they put so much effort into it - possibly because it was set in France and that motivated them. And the interiors, wow. But they gave them all English accents :/ Like...suck it up.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
That's what it is, there's no uniqueness. It's what makes the games seem alright but rarely special.

I thought AC unity was pretty special. It felt like they put so much effort into it - possibly because it was set in France and that motivated them. And the interiors, wow. But they gave them all English accents :/

I'd argue that AC Origins was fairly unique in both subject matter and execution (plus the impressive edutainment mode). Odyssey follows the same pattern again, of course, but for many, that's a good thing.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I'd argue that AC Origins was fairly unique in both subject matter and execution (plus the impressive edutainment mode). Odyssey follows the same pattern again, of course, but for many, that's a good thing.
I heard good things about it but haven't got round to it. They don't give me enough time to miss their games... like take a break. Or spend a bit longer and make something just incredible...take a page from Rockstar.

If the same pattern is a good thing, something to shake up the routine a bit would be a great thing. I'm sure they could figure it out, given the time and freedom to do it.

Imagine the quality of games we'd have if more Ubisoft IPs were given the Rockstar treatment.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a really positive change, hope it pays off for smaller titles as well as the AAA releases. I already said as much in another thread but Far Cry is definitely one franchise that needs a shakeup. It's probably a pipe dream but it'd be great to see them apply the wide linear approach to level design like og Far Cry and Crysis did so well. If it must be open world do away with tower and collectathon shenanigans and try to make it more exploration focused, lots of distinctive landmarks, a real hand crafted feel to the world. Basically Open Air philosophy BOTW used. Or make it like STALKER :P

As for AC it'd be nice to see a big leap in terms of environmental interaction, much more micro detail in cities, more enterable buildings etc. As cool as the open world of Odyssey was it still didn't wow me nearly as much as Unity did. With the new consoles it wouldn't surprise me if Ubi tries to tackle some ambitious things again wrt engine and gfx tech. WAY more npcs on screen at once than Unity, environmental destruction on a more complex scale, ray tracing (particularly for world lighting not just reflections), and a more dynamic combat system. On that note gimme VR AC.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
Their games have felt pretty underwhelming this gen, and rely on a lot of the same design decisions. They mostly fit the template of the Standard Ubisoft Game, towers and all. Tom Clancy stuff especially looks incredibly bland, ar least to an outside observer. Hopefully this actually leads to some variety and isn't just lipservice to the issues they've had lately.

And maybe this could mean a return of the franchises they have that I love. Rayman, Prince of Persia, UbiArt games. I can only hope.

Doomg0d

Mar 26, 2019
Would love to see Heroes of Might and Magic get some TLC one day. Ever since V its been downhill and they don't seem to be giving the devs they use much budget or time to make a good game in the series.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At least Anno 1800 was fucking amazing, and Settlers this year I hope follows it up with the same quality.

Same with Assassin's Creed Ragnarok, loved Odyssey so super keen.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
This is great to hear, I want as much diverse Ubisoft games as possible. Make each stand out and be wonderful. I'd take a less Ubi games if it means they stand out more from each other, than more open world Ubi games that appear to play similarly (even if they play totally different).