• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I had so many arguments when I was a kid over these power levels. I'll have to read this when I have time.

Oct 28, 2017
These cards were my life in 91. Cosmic Spider Man Holographic was the jewel. I'd buy a complete set now if I could find it.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XMRDONSV1TPB055_cards_fleer.jpg

the GOAT era

Oct 25, 2017
Oh. Man. Comic cards.

Early 90s was a time wasn't it.

Hold on remembering the time I ripped the Venom hologram card.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Dang this art really unlocked something deep inside my memory lol, I completely forgot about these

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
powerlevel3.jpg

Nightshade and Wudarr, man those were the days

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Dammit, everytime these things are brought up I have to make sure I know where my one remaining sleeve is.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
From the og link:
"We made all that stuff up," Budiansky said. "We didn't go through a thousand books and count all the battles with this character; we just made it up. Number one, we wanted to make the Impel executives happy, and number two, we thought it would be fun."

luke-skywalker-no.gif

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Wow! Nostalgia. I had these back in the 90s. Christ they opened a can of worms with these lol every kid into comics was arguing in school over these stats. The art was fantastic

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fun article, but it doesn't even get into Overpower, the Marvel (and DC and others) CCG from about the same period. The ability scores there were not only fairly arbitrary, but also had to be balanced enough for a game. These things were even messier because the original Marvel ones didn't have an intellect score, but the DC ones did, and eventually they did a new set of Marvel ones that added intellect to all previous characters and incorporated intellect going forward, while trying to be backward compatible.

2.png

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Fun article, but it doesn't even get into Overpower, the Marvel (and DC and others) CCG from about the same period. The ability scores there were not only fairly arbitrary, but also had to be balanced enough for a game. These things were even messier because the original Marvel ones didn't have an intellect score, but the DC ones did, and eventually they did a new set of Marvel ones that added intellect to all previous characters and incorporated intellect going forward, while trying to be backward compatible.

2.png
Spider-Man is only one point smarter than Wolverine?!

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I wasn't big in to Marvel back then but I had notebooks full of Dragonball Z power levels, each character, each transformation, each saga etc. I scoured the entire internet and magazines for every bit of information about DBZ.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
In what world are colossus and Deadpool villains, but sabertooth a super hero?

1994 Fleer X-men cards, that's where.

EDIT: brother found our set and sent me the new avatar…

Ogre

Mar 26, 2018
Young people: imagine a world where MMA math not only worked, but worked for super heroes.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Man. I remember those back in the day. I had pretty much all of the first two series.

I still think those are the most accurate and should be maintained. But that's not how things turned out.
It made sense at the time. Shit it still does. 100 tons being the soft cap makes sense to me.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember how, but as a kid, I came into possession of a bunch of Marvel cards from 1991. Especially weird because I was definitely more into D.C. as a kid. I still have them and this thread got me to fish them out of a drawer and give them a look for the first time in years. They're in a box with an index card taped to the top that says "MARVEL SERIES II DON'T LET KIDS HANDLE" which was clearly ignored when they were given to 11-year-old me. I just randomly picked out the card for a villain named Tombstone and the "Did You Know" fact at the bottom is fantastic:

Even though Tombstone and Joe Robertson have tried to kill each other on several occasions, Tombstone still considers Joe his best friend.

I was going to say something snarky about this making sense since his Intelligence Power Rating was only a 2, but flipping around with some other cards shows that the vast majority of people were at a 2.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017

2.png
It's funny, the trading cards and Overpower seem like completely different eras but it was probably just like 3-4 years later. Of course, that was the difference between elementary and middle school, so yeah it kind of was two different eras to me.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I was in the third grade when the 'power level' sets came out. My friends and I used to play a game similar to 'War' with them, where one kid would throw down a card, then you had to throw someone with overall higher power bars or you lost. Lmao shit got petty because some mutants were OP with the stats.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't held on to that many things from my childhood, but I still have my full sets (though not every hologram) of the first three series of these, in binders.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
Next time I visit my parents, I'll have to look for these. I know I had some of the Xmen cards with the goofy powerlevels.